Daigo on his losses to John Choi, Filipino Champ: 'It wasn't because I let my guard down or anything like that; they were just really good'

Posted by Cheng Kai 'KarbyP' Sim • July 31, 2014 at 10:19 a.m. PDT

On this week's episode of Topanga TV, MCZ|Daigo appeared on the show as a guest in part to promote the new manga series based on his life that's currently being serialized in the Weekly Georgia free-to-read smartphone app.

While on the stream, the Mad Catz-sponsored pro chatted with MCZ|Tokido, MCZ|Mago and EG|Momochi on a number of subjects, including what he thought were the reasons behind his losses to RG|Filipino Champ and John Choi at EVO this year.

"With the Dhalsim match-up, there were problems with it that I was still quite uncertain about," the 33-year-old said.

Daigo said that when he saw the brackets, one of the first things he noticed was that Filipino Champ was in the same block. He had previously played -- and lost to -- Filipino Champ before, after all.

He dreaded playing against Filipino Champ.

"Since we were so far away from each other in the block, I didn't think that we would go up against one another. I had thought that Dhalsim as a character probably wouldn't make it through all the way in the winners' bracket.

"But then soon afterwards, I was like, woah, we are going to play one another after all.

"And that's when I started doing some last-minute training with YHC-Mochi and... Torimeshi, was it? During the session I managed to come up with some counter-measures, but in the end I still had some problems with the match-up.

"So even though this was a very good match, this was just unfortunate. The loss was just unavoidable," he said.

On the subject of his loss to John Choi, MCZ|Daigo had nothing but praises for his opponent.

"He was strong. John Choi was really strong," Daigo said, dragging out the final syllable for emphasis.

Mago chimed in on the subject and said that he played John Choi once at Revelations. At that point, he didn't know that John Choi also played Street Fighter 4. But having played him, Mago agreed that the American player was incredibly strong.

Momochi also remarked that John Choi was especially proficient in Shoto matches.

So why did Daigo lose to John Choi? It had nothing to do with the setup, lag, or anything like that.

He had lost simply because Daigo no longer held any respect for Ryu in terms of being a viable character in Ultra Street Fighter 4.

"Personally, in my head, it was like Ryu doesn't exist anymore," he explained. The room burst out in laughter.

"Do you get what I mean? I thought, no matter what, I would definitely not run into any problems with a Ryu at the tournament."

One of the Topanga staffers asked if it was because Daigo did not think that there would be any Ryu players at the tournament.

"No, not that. It's just that I never thought that I might lose against Ryu. And so I never came up with any counter-measures for the character to begin with.

"And at the same time, honestly, I didn't think I'd run into John Choi at the tournament. When I found out that we'd be playing against each other for our next match, I thought, 'well, this shouldn't be a problem'."

But things did not pan out the way he thought it would.

"John Choi played Ryu in a manner that proved to be irksome for Evil Ryu; in a manner that I thought probably nobody at the tournament would play like. And so I lost. I got impatient," he explained.

"In that match I got too impatient. Although I lost in both matches, I was a lot more impatient in the match against John Choi. With Filipino Champ it was more like, we just played normally and I lost [whereas against John Choi I got impatient]," Daigo said.

"It wasn't because I let my guard down or anything like that. They were just really good."

---------------------

You can hear Daigo speak about EVO in Japanese from around 01:37:00 in the stream archive embedded below.

Video from Topanga TV. Also sent in by Gotomaster.

Comments

SgtKonus said on July 31, 2014 at 10:23 a.m.

False alarm, Daigo doesn't blame lag for his loss.

SoftShocks said on July 31, 2014 at 10:25 a.m.

Humble responses from a great player. Good stuff, Daigo.

vvill_ said on July 31, 2014 at 10:25 a.m.

Finally put that "input lag" crap to rest. Thanks Daigo

ponpon said on July 31, 2014 at 10:27 a.m.

Hubs, What about lag?

chowdizzle said on July 31, 2014 at 10:27 a.m.

Glad to hear if from the mouth of the beast himself. Lotta people making excuses for him but he's not making any for himself. Respect.

Keep up the god stuff Daigo.

Edit: "God stuff" was a typo, was gonna fix it but I think it works.

psykostorm said on July 31, 2014 at 10:28 a.m.

And now that Daigo has set things straight, the previous post about it possibly being lag, becomes irrelevant. thanks Daigo. We all appreciate honesty.

KarbyP said on July 31, 2014 at 10:30 a.m.

LOL, keep up the god stuff indeed. It definitely works.

sirvederko93 said on July 31, 2014 at 10:33 a.m.

Good to hear he figured out why he lost like a self-reliant man rather than start blaming tech issues or lagging after when the whole thing just ended up

Paradonyx said on July 31, 2014 at 10:33 a.m.

Daigo is 33? Wow, I thought he was around his mid 20's. Makes me feel really young compared to a lot of others then...

Akua said on July 31, 2014 at 10:33 a.m.

Good work Choi and FChamp!

NumeroGaijin said on July 31, 2014 at 10:35 a.m.

Sorry but contrary to popular belief there ARE setups at EVO that are laggy no matter which system you play on. Why Daigo lost was not a surprise. Any real player can look at the match and tell he was outplayed pure and simple.....thats all.

KleenexGhost said on July 31, 2014 at 10:38 a.m.

Respect to Daigo. He didn't make any excuses.

Freeyu said on July 31, 2014 at 10:38 a.m.

They played better so therefore they won, simple as that.

Murdurus said on July 31, 2014 at 10:41 a.m.

I think many of us are still wondering why he didn't switch to Yun against FChamp. Was he confident in his Evil Ryu or did he decide to stick with Evil Ryu regardless of what happens? I find it a little strange that the question wasn't asked.

evo546 said on July 31, 2014 at 10:46 a.m.

there was a interview before EVO 2014 where daigo says he will only stick with E.ryu only.He could have beat FChamp with Yun like before.

FADCTAUNT said on July 31, 2014 at 10:46 a.m.

"the 33 year old said"

Relevance?

Chi_Shinobi said on July 31, 2014 at 10:48 a.m.

Ryu isn't as dead as they say. Evil Ryu hasn't changed that much since AE to take Ryu's place. Ryu wasn't dead then and he isn't now.

SpiderUppercut said on July 31, 2014 at 10:50 a.m.

Wow. I bet Valle's really impressed with that comment!
Did Daigo and Valle play in the same tournament?

Personally, I wouldn't trust Capcom as far as I could throw them to balance Ryu properly after what happened in AE 2011.

How many Ryu players finished Top 32 at EVO this year?
Sounds like Ryu needs mad buffs!

MRN_SirFoxington said on July 31, 2014 at 10:52 a.m.

Cant wait for the incoming of the fat mouthed japanese haters who said Daigo "makes excuses for his loss due to lag " in the previous posted tread.

Makes those A**holes look pretty embarrassing after their raging rant against the japanese as a whole LOL

FADCTAUNT said on July 31, 2014 at 10:54 a.m.

Yun didn't make top 32 either, let's buff Yun.

smh

Tetsuo said on July 31, 2014 at 11 a.m.

Much respect to Daigo, very gracious in defeat... I'm just wondering why he didn't just counter pick dhalsim with Yun or do Ryu mirror match against Choi. I think he would have progressed further in the tournament had he done that. Props to Fchamp and Choi tho!

CapCharisma said on July 31, 2014 at 11 a.m.

Kazunoko and Taiga both made top 32.

raphaelgunther said on July 31, 2014 at 11:01 a.m.

A true champion. I'm glad we have players like him.

Blackoshinomi said on July 31, 2014 at 11:03 a.m.

Idk this response is exactly what i predicted he word say. I'm not calling him a lier but in this generation if someone speaks there mind about anything the backlash is always negative ! So I think he just taking the safe route by saying they wore good opponents instead of the truth ! I'm not even a dago fanboy but he wasn,t the only one that seemed off too me! I feel like this is a pr move so he would get praise instead of hate. .

evo546 said on July 31, 2014 at 11:04 a.m.

Honestly if he stick with Ryu he could have won EVO.

evo546 said on July 31, 2014 at 11:06 a.m.

He drop so many combo at EVO compare to his recent Tournament in Hongkong.But whatever a loss is a loss atleast he admit that.

omegamarth said on July 31, 2014 at 11:08 a.m.

No, most of the top players are in their late 20s, with a few in their early 30s.

Wa1rior said on July 31, 2014 at 11:08 a.m.

He took his lost like a MAN.

Gotomaster said on July 31, 2014 at 11:10 a.m.

No guarantee he could have, but I think he would have definitely done better.

Lordd_G said on July 31, 2014 at 11:11 a.m.

The only lag Daigo lost to was jet lag.

blzd said on July 31, 2014 at 11:13 a.m.

he's holding that L like a champ

evo546 said on July 31, 2014 at 11:14 a.m.

True but he have the highest chance with Ryu against those top 8. Only bonchan and sako give daigo the most problem.

Murdurus said on July 31, 2014 at 11:16 a.m.

Ah, okay, I must have missed that. He's said in one of his previous interviews that because he's a pro player, he has to play to win. Sticking with Evil Ryu when he knew he would have won with Yun is contradictory to that statement unless it's changed since then. I don't fault him for sticking with Evil Ryu, not in the least bit, but it's still a bit of an odd choice to make given his position.

pip said on July 31, 2014 at 11:19 a.m.

That's something I like to hear. Not confident against Filipino Champ due to a previous defeat so at a small pshychological disadvantage, and overconfident against Ruy. It all sounds just human and true.

evo546 said on July 31, 2014 at 11:24 a.m.

He lose to FChamp only using shotos but never to his Yun.

RandomJohn said on July 31, 2014 at 11:36 a.m.

There you have it. Lag didn't contribute to Daigo's loss. No more speculations.

ttiier said on July 31, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

Daigo's training partner was
× Momochi
○ (YHC-)Mochi

musacci said on July 31, 2014 at 11:42 a.m.

Albert_o6 said on July 31, 2014 at 11:59 a.m.

still the best SF fighter in the world

triplethreat99 said on July 31, 2014 at noon

Exactly!! I was thinking the exact thing. Why is the age relevant?

triplethreat99 said on July 31, 2014 at 12:02 p.m.

Errrr.. Two Yun's made it into top 32.

It's really easy to find this results before spewing out false comments.

SMH

irrenmann said on July 31, 2014 at 12:09 p.m.

Daigo's comments here are mature and show a willingness to learn from his mistakes. Moreover, I am glad of the acknowledgement that Choi isn't some nobody; he has fundamentals and bonafides going back plenty of years.

I respect this and hope it puts to bed all the "lag" and other excuse nonsense.

MM_Lowtier said on July 31, 2014 at 12:09 p.m.

Didn't Taiga and Kazunoko use DeeJay and Hugo? Kappa

Santaclaus said on July 31, 2014 at 12:13 p.m.

The true god!!!

MetroCityPub said on July 31, 2014 at 12:18 p.m.

True mind of a professional. Good mentality Daigo.

COREY_1993 said on July 31, 2014 at 12:35 p.m.

what a champ. hope he comes to more tournaments. i think thats why hes losing more and more. theres match up knowledge and then there playing against people.

never gonna work the way you want it too. daigo should go to the tournament before evo at least

RandomSelectMaster said on July 31, 2014 at 12:36 p.m.

Deserving of respect. Way to go Diago.

Gotomaster said on July 31, 2014 at 12:37 p.m.

People need to quit with this allusion that Daigo is losing more, he's only not going to many events. This is like his very first bad showing at Evo. I do want to see him come to more events as well, but not because he's getting worse, but rather would like him play more games.

badvb said on July 31, 2014 at 12:37 p.m.

After months of declaring Ryu the worst character in any fighting game ever is kind of comical that over confidence led to his elimination by Ryu.

ltalia90 said on July 31, 2014 at 12:39 p.m.

No. The translation is correct.

Read the interview again.

Also to the "Daigo sucks now, too old, no good for years.."

The only notable events he has entered in recently are

Topanga World League (Won)
Dreamhack Winter 2013 AKA the most stacked dreamhack ever. (Won)
Evo 2014 (491st place or whatever it ended up being)
That Hong Kong qualifier for the qualifier (Won)

Not too shabby i.e as good as anyone in the last 12 months.

Maybe he'll completely suck in Ultra but we wont be able to comment on that for at least a year and after the patch.

Reifoftheast said on July 31, 2014 at 12:41 p.m.

Good Answer on Daigo part good job on Champ and Choi they fought a good fight.

JRXP2011 said on July 31, 2014 at 12:46 p.m.

That's the attitude of a real competitor, no excuses. Lets go Daigo, rape evo 2k15.

panzninja said on July 31, 2014 at 12:53 p.m.

Just information about a SF celebrity, much like his manga and why he lost.

Temtt said on July 31, 2014 at 1:04 p.m.

This! People need to stop with this bullsh*t!

Just look at Daigo's Topanga League results:

first Topanga League: 7th place
2rd Topanga League: 2nd place
Topanga Asia League: 2nd place
3rd Topanga League: 5th place
Topanga World League: 1st place

That's really impressive. Such a great consistent player!

FightDirty said on July 31, 2014 at 1:06 p.m.

Daigo - not making excuses; unlike his d*ckriders.

gammabolt17 said on July 31, 2014 at 1:13 p.m.

Respect

TemplarPunk said on July 31, 2014 at 1:18 p.m.

That was humbly touching.

KarbyP said on July 31, 2014 at 1:53 p.m.

Thanks for the heads-up! :D

KarbyP said on July 31, 2014 at 1:58 p.m.

"the 33-year-old said" is just one of the few ways I tried to not write "Daigo said" every single time.

Otherwise this story would be all like:

"... ...," Daigo said.
"... ...," Daigo said.
"... ...," Daigo also said.
"... ...," said Daigo.

Chill, y'all!

sprflyspdrguy said on July 31, 2014 at 2:06 p.m.

He never would.

Ammonites said on July 31, 2014 at 2:15 p.m.

Daigo talks about patience a lot here. Luffy also is recently quoted as patience being very important in his victory. Snake-Eyes shows that extreme teeth grinding patience is required to do well with Gief (I love the player, but man I would never even want to play like that regularly). Is Street Fighter too much about patience? Rose and Sagat top 2. A couple of Fei players in the top, and you could say they lose due to patience problems. Do we have offense vs. defense balanced or no?

JIHADJOE said on July 31, 2014 at 2:15 p.m.

FChamp has done VERY well against Daigo's Ryu though. I think their Sim vs Ryu record is something like 5-1 in favor of Champ. IIRC Daigo's only won once against Champ's Sim when using Ryu.

Tournament @SCR & NCR 2010, 2xMM & SBR 2010, FT10 Exhibition @NCR 2011 = Champ wins

add in Evo 2014 and that's 6-1 to Champ. People don't give the guy nearly enough credit. All of these matches can be found on youtube with a little searching.

GoldenTrophy said on July 31, 2014 at 2:18 p.m.

F-Champ "Daigo came up to me and asked me to MM i happily declined coz i want him to hold that L 4 - 0 wooooot"

I think the Daigo quote in this article is going to stroke Ryan's ego even more.

ltalia90 said on July 31, 2014 at 2:18 p.m.

Ignore this. Just watched the Topanga footage and he does indeed mean YHC Mochi.

Thought he meant that as soon as FilipinoChamp qualified in winners he went for some last minute practice and Momochi knew the matchup; but he's talking about before Evo. For some reason he changed his mind about Champ before Evo.

Apologies to the guy I quoted. My fault.

SpiderUppercut said on July 31, 2014 at 2:19 p.m.

Nope.

Not when you don't have a single Ryu finishing within the Top 32.

Not even the Ryu who beat Daigo.
Funny how nobody is mentioning Infiltration either.

Existent said on July 31, 2014 at 2:30 p.m.

Give me your salt beast_gief.
I want it bad.

himura said on July 31, 2014 at 2:30 p.m.

LOL, im pretty sure he never said "Ryu the worst character in any fighting game ever"

he declared that ryu is a weaker character compared to E-ryu, and saw himself having more fun with E-ryu....

oh boy.....trying to make things more dramatic huh?

Wingman said on July 31, 2014 at 2:39 p.m.

Nice to see that he has respect for his opponents that he lost to. Class act.

asadmonkey said on July 31, 2014 at 2:42 p.m.

sweetmonkeylove said on July 31, 2014 at 2:51 p.m.

Paradonyx said 3 hours, 57 minutes ago

People playing SF in their teens when it was released are gonna be in their 30's. Typically mid 30's.

I'm talking about people that could actually play. Not the little kids that would bang on and break the buttons...like the adults :)

evo546 said on July 31, 2014 at 2:59 p.m.

You do know that fchamp was trolling right? Daigo didnt come up to fchamp and ask for MM.

sweetmonkeylove said on July 31, 2014 at 3 p.m.

People that were teens when SF came out are going to be in their mid 30's.

A lot of us are 35-40 :)

triplethreat99 said on July 31, 2014 at 3:13 p.m.

I'm pretty chilled, actually.

Said is one of the few invincible words in the english language. Writers know this.

I didn't question their need to put other words besides SAID, i question the relevancy of 33 year old.

SAying something like "The 2 time evo-champion," or the "Evil-ryu Main", for example would be more relevant to this article.

If the article would have been about the age of gamers, then the quote they used would have been more relevant.

GoldenTrophy said on July 31, 2014 at 3:14 p.m.

Figures much

unagi said on July 31, 2014 at 3:30 p.m.

I made a quick translation video.

XBOX720P said on July 31, 2014 at 3:35 p.m.

Madenka said on July 31, 2014 at 3:37 p.m.

Plenty of articles use age in noun form, it's a staple of journalism.

chowdizzle said on July 31, 2014 at 3:40 p.m.

I disagree, I think bringing up his age gives perspective into his lifestyle and the longevity of the scene as a whole.

Don't listen to him Karby, I appreciated the remark.

chowdizzle said on July 31, 2014 at 3:42 p.m.

English, I suggest you learn it.

unseenpotential01 said on July 31, 2014 at 3:46 p.m.

Disappointed in the Valley vs Daigo match. Ryu still wins this matchup...

Reply @Existent #66

Salt would go great with my fries right now...

xShonuffx said on July 31, 2014 at 4:03 p.m.

The win against Daigo is pointless if he didn't make top 8 either.

F.Champ is holding that L right along side Daigo so there you go.

XBOX720P said on July 31, 2014 at 4:08 p.m.

hondahands said on July 31, 2014 at 4:09 p.m.

The answer I expected, as predicted.

WongFactor said on July 31, 2014 at 4:20 p.m.

Wrong Daigo has won 0 times against Fchamp. ZERO.

WongFactor said on July 31, 2014 at 4:21 p.m.

So Daigo basically admitted he's washed up. Pack it up.

Gotomaster said on July 31, 2014 at 4:37 p.m.

Uhh, no he didn't.

Burnkickftl said on July 31, 2014 at 4:42 p.m.

not what he said at all , or what can be concluded from this article.

rather be washed up then a complete fagg0t tho.

stay salty , youll never beat daigo washed up or not.

not dick riding , truth hurts.

Burnkickftl said on July 31, 2014 at 4:44 p.m.

oya also watch the daigo vs fchamp exhibition where he spanks f champ so bad he literally looks over at daigo like daigo isnt even human.

if he wanted to counter pick it would have been just that fcking easy

Rizhall said on July 31, 2014 at 4:45 p.m.

Where are the trolls that came to that other article and said Daigo was crying about lag because some other random player said there was a little lag and it may or may not have been one factor? I hope Daigo takes the Ls and learn from them. John Choi's godlike

TheMasterPlayer said on July 31, 2014 at 5:03 p.m.

I'm sorry, but if Daigo wanted to win more badly than he did in EVO then he would have lowered his pride and did what was necessary to beat FChamp and Choi. He should have counter picked Dhalsim with Yun and mirror matched with Ryu, plain and simple.

Don't get me wrong, I am very much a Daigo fan as much as the other guy, but him sticking it out with Evil Ryu for the tournament was NOT a sound strategy! A champion should do whatever it takes to win within legal and reasonable boundaries. Him counter-picking would not have meant being dishonorable.

I hope he learned a lesson from this. Sometimes, when your strategy is not working develop a counter-measure. He knew well beforehand that there were going to be Dhalsim's and Ryu's in the tournament.
He should have at least prepared a pocket character and sharpened his Yun for the tournament.

Next time Daigo, please be smart about your match ups and quit being so stubborn. It'll do you good.

(P.S. Sorry about the ranting, I am just such an avid Daigo fan that it frustrates and vexes me to see him not doing whatever it takes to win!).

ALPHATT said on July 31, 2014 at 6:05 p.m.

He was an adult during the full parry video

LK said on July 31, 2014 at 6:47 p.m.

Even the beast is human, he let emotion got to him.

xianmsg said on July 31, 2014 at 6:58 p.m.

Topanga reads eventhubs!!

rosy said on July 31, 2014 at 7:06 p.m.

Well, that's how a real champ should be. Even something affected his performance, he shouldn't need to talk about it. But showing respect to your opponent is much more important.

Slaystation said on July 31, 2014 at 7:06 p.m.

Thanks. That was interesting.

ltalia90 said on July 31, 2014 at 7:10 p.m.

This is excellent*, thank you.

* At least I think it is. My Japanese is dreadful, but you did a great job, IMO.

AKumahMatata said on July 31, 2014 at 7:12 p.m.

he's human after all. we win sum and we loose sum

Snow2Drop said on July 31, 2014 at 7:33 p.m.

Beastgief too shameless to leave like he promised

ryu600RR said on July 31, 2014 at 7:57 p.m.

yo john choi

Eden said on July 31, 2014 at 8:07 p.m.

And here is the proof that lag didn't have anything to do with his loss... But I heard Infiltration lost because a dead pixel was disturbing him, I think it should be news !

Load more comments