Two new Fire Emblem characters join Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS, Captain Falcon also jumps into the fray

Posted by Nicholas 'MajinTenshinhan' Taylor • July 14, 2014 at 7:36 a.m. PDT

Update: Official screenshots have been added for Robin, Lucina and Captain Falcon.

Update 2: It appears on further reflection that Chrom, from Fire Emblem: Awakening, may just be part of Robin's Final Smash and not actually a playable character.

Nintendo foreshadowed a few days ago that they would reveal a new character for the upcoming Super Smash Bros. game today, and the video was just released for the enigmatic newcomer.

The new characters are none other than a whopping three new Fire Emblem characters, Robin, Chrom and Lucina, who are all from the latest installment, Fire Emblem: Awakening. The trailer also shows fan favourite F-Zero franchise main character, Captain Falcon, make a triumphant return to the scene.

Find the full trailer after the jump.

Video courtesy of Nintendo's YouTube channel.

Newcomer Artwork

Click images for larger versions

Robin

Click images for larger versions

Lucina

Click images for larger versions

Captain Falcon

Click images for larger versions

Also submitted by MightyAfro.

Comments

GiganV3 said on July 14, 2014 at 7:09 a.m.

OKAY THAT WAS HYPE!

Dracos_Wrath said on July 14, 2014 at 7:09 a.m.

Also Rayman!!!!! At least as a trophy, BUT RAYMAN!!!!!!!!!!

lillarry3 said on July 14, 2014 at 7:10 a.m.

I really like the new Fire Emblem characters but I got way more hyped for Captain Falcon haha.

H_Lightning said on July 14, 2014 at 7:12 a.m.

Hell yes Lucina!!!!!!

Dracos_Wrath said on July 14, 2014 at 7:12 a.m.

SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!!!

snakebelmont said on July 14, 2014 at 7:14 a.m.

I think only one new character was revealed, Lucina looks like an alt costume for marth and chrom is part of robin's final smash. I think robin is the customizable character in FE awakening.

EnsignHiro said on July 14, 2014 at 7:15 a.m.

Yes!!!!!!!!! So glad Chrom is in!!!

RenyNoise said on July 14, 2014 at 7:19 a.m.

Booooooooo!

Ett said on July 14, 2014 at 7:20 a.m.

Man Nintendo should have debuted this at EVO.
That said FIRE EMBLEM getting so much love this Smash. <3

Gurpwnder said on July 14, 2014 at 7:21 a.m.

How are they going to make 3 of the fire Emblem different from each other? None look as strong as Ike, so Marth, Chrom and Lucina look like they're gonna be from the same mold. The three of them even wield the same sword (Falchion).

At least Robin has magic, but he/she is also a swordsman/woman when he/she is a tactician / grandmaster.

Also, do we really need 4 blue haired swordsmen/women? Couldn't Vaike / Muriel / Donnel, etc. have made the cut instead of Lucina? Even Kjelle could've been something more fresh than Lucina.

Sensational_Sayanora said on July 14, 2014 at 7:21 a.m.

So we have:

Robin (The Newcomer)
Lucina (a Marth Alt Costume)
Captain Falcon (YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRAH!!!! Show me your moves)
and maybe Chrom (he might just only show up during a Final Smash)

I like all of this!

xShonuffx said on July 14, 2014 at 7:21 a.m.

ROFL Captain Falcon the most requested character so far didn't even get a proper intro. But this trailer caught me off guard I thought they were done with characters.

Sensational_Sayanora said on July 14, 2014 at 7:23 a.m.

Also, Lucina's tagline is "Lucina wakes her blade!?".
Notice the "!?".

PKOmega said on July 14, 2014 at 7:23 a.m.

Yes!!! So happy Robin's in it never would have guessed :)

Zero888 said on July 14, 2014 at 7:24 a.m.

YUSSSSSSSS I have found my new mains besides Megaman, and Fox, especially Lucina!!!

NicDWolfwood said on July 14, 2014 at 7:30 a.m.

not so sure about lucina being an alt costume, she looks different than marth, unless marth got a new move or 2 i dont know about. Chrom seems to be Robins final smash, which would be fine with me.

But lets put this into perspective, Chrom was beatin,Lucina was getting her behind handed to her, and Robin had to step in.... just to slow down Captain Falcon...LETS GO CAPTAIN FALCON

JiFoJoka said on July 14, 2014 at 7:31 a.m.

Palutena vs Robin = Anime Fight

ken123103 said on July 14, 2014 at 7:31 a.m.

Captain falcon is back!!!!!lkfjldkjfal;jfjadjfa Tooo good! But we didn't even see gameplay from him. . . what kinda announcement trailer is this?

LightSpdAeon said on July 14, 2014 at 7:32 a.m.

At least realize Lucina is an Alt, and Chrom only appeared for the final smash.

Gurpwnder said on July 14, 2014 at 7:33 a.m.

I'm sorry.

I just read the post, which said 3 'new characters' from Fire Emblem and made my post.

HiryuMK said on July 14, 2014 at 7:37 a.m.

Is Lucina a separate character? She seem to have the same move as Marth's like Roy did.

The trailer made me believe they trolled the Chrom fans. XD

I rather have Tharja over Robert... :(

SirRetro08 said on July 14, 2014 at 7:37 a.m.

If ya played Fire Emblem series...you might know the story and some connection...

rocorolly said on July 14, 2014 at 7:40 a.m.

Five FE characters, absolutely no Golden Sun, Mother, AW, CR characters. That's fine Nintendo, it's your game, I won't fault you for doing what you feel is "right". I guess Golden Sun is not viable enough.

SirRetro08 said on July 14, 2014 at 7:42 a.m.

Um...Nintendo announced shortly after E3 (and it was published here on Eventhubs) that they're still gonna reveal more chars. They're at 36 now. Brawl had 39. Also, Sakurai said last week that he's nearing the end of the newcomers list. So...they're kinda far from being done. And pretty much all the veterans from the first two Smash will return...just in due time.

ButterKnife said on July 14, 2014 at 7:43 a.m.

So Lucina is a more masculine Marth?

Gurpwnder said on July 14, 2014 at 7:43 a.m.

I've played through Awakening, which is how that Chrom, Marth and Lucina wield the same weapon (along with their connection) and everything else I discussed.

Gurpwnder said on July 14, 2014 at 7:43 a.m.

LOL! Godlike.

SmokeRulz said on July 14, 2014 at 7:44 a.m.

Something is actually up here, if you check the official website. Lucina has been added there, but she's been given a small box, like a veteran, where as Robin gets the big Newcomer box and a special artwork. If you go to her individual page though, she's labeled "Newcomer." Then, if you check the video, Lucina is also clearly using Marth's moveset.

So... Is it possible she's just a really high-profile alternate costume for Marth? Her taunts appear to be different as well. I'm hoping so at this point, because Brawl got rid of clones and I don't want them to come back.

Also Chrom is clearly part of Robin's Final Smash. Guess that puts a dagger in the back of the Gematsu leak.

ALSO CAPTAIN FALCON GUYS

learis1 said on July 14, 2014 at 7:48 a.m.

omg, captain falcon doesn't even get a proper intro, and instead we listen to this gay dialogue from the 10th blue haired fire emblem character now in smash.

TheTHCGamer said on July 14, 2014 at 7:48 a.m.

Meh.

EagleBirdMan said on July 14, 2014 at 7:48 a.m.

YYEEEESSSSS. This is AMAZING. :D

GiganV3 said on July 14, 2014 at 7:50 a.m.

It's 4 characters and FE has grown in fame a lot since Awakening, the 3rd Golden Sun didn't do as well and we're not done with the reveals so let's wait and see who else gets in. An Advance Wars character would be awesome alright.

NicDWolfwood said on July 14, 2014 at 7:51 a.m.

unless you were counting the 3 Pokemon to be 3 separate characters (you kinda HAVE to switch out unless playing PM) then there were only 37 for brawl. Sakurai also posted early in production that he was aiming for 30-35 chars, which we have already passed (hoping for a few more characters myself).

As far as veterans, i seriously doubt we will get all of the ones from melee, as roy/pichu/doc will not return, and it's looking doubtful for mewtwo as well

xShonuffx said on July 14, 2014 at 7:52 a.m.

Well that's not what I heard. It doesn't really matter anyways.

Good for you that you know.

*Thumbs up and a smile*

SirRetro08 said on July 14, 2014 at 7:52 a.m.

They just re-updated, so hope it's all clear to ya now. You weren't the only one. Lucina may be Luigified (a term of a clone having movesets diverging from original; Luigi was the first to do so) from Marth. Robin has variety of projectile and short-sword range moves. Chrom (as updated) may be part of a Final Smash (or possible alt char).

Ermapume said on July 14, 2014 at 7:53 a.m.

Aww sweet new trailer! Let's watch it!
*Continuous ejaculation until he is none...but a withered husk...

Gurpwnder said on July 14, 2014 at 7:53 a.m.

Easy there, man. Let's avoid homophobic comments (and other offensive comments) like that.

X_Axel said on July 14, 2014 at 7:54 a.m.

Great, now give me Issac, Felix and Jenna from golden sun and we can call it a day

GiganV3 said on July 14, 2014 at 7:57 a.m.

This was real good, we were lacking human characters to balance all the cartoony ones and we were also lacking in female characters as well.

sdstig said on July 14, 2014 at 7:59 a.m.

YESSS!!! FINALLY Captain Falcon is confirmed!

Gurpwnder said on July 14, 2014 at 7:59 a.m.

Yeah, like I said in comment 20, I made a mistake by just reading the story and assuming we actually got 3 new Fire Emblem fighters in Smash 4.

It's too late for me to remove that comment now.

Devdan said on July 14, 2014 at 8:01 a.m.

Ug, I wasn't super hyped for Chrom, but Lucina is even less interesting due to literally just being girl-Marth. Should've been an alt. Can't help but feel like they just threw her and Robin together to discredit the leak. Robin is fine though, I guess, though now that I think about it, he/she is sorta ANOTHER player avatar character...though sort of not.

SirRetro08 said on July 14, 2014 at 8:02 a.m.

(And @xShonuffx) I counted the 3 Pokemon as separate chars just as I did with Zelda and Sheik.

I should've clarified with the "veterans" part. What I meant was:

Chars that appeared in all 3 Smash Bros
Chars that appeared in both Melee AND Brawl

So, Ness, Jigglypuff, Mr. G&M, Falco, and Ganondorf will most likely return.

And the link about more announcements is here: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/ju...

So, though the characters were already picked by early development, they may have expanded the roster a bit more than expected and delaying the game to make sure all is complete.

SirRetro08 said on July 14, 2014 at 8:05 a.m.

It's cool, my comrade. I made some wrong speculations myself. Just had to rewatch the trailer a few more times. At least it's not like Smash Bros. fandom on Tumblr. They're going nuts! XD

GirlsOfGaming said on July 14, 2014 at 8:05 a.m.

Lucina, pleased to meet you

GiganV3 said on July 14, 2014 at 8:06 a.m.

Yeah, Ness, Falco, Ganondorf are definitely in and I don't think they'll drop Wario either. So we're certainly going to have around 42-44 characters.

MVKM said on July 14, 2014 at 8:08 a.m.

lesgo robin!

mechmaster90 said on July 14, 2014 at 8:10 a.m.

So two more clones ? Ok.

TheTTimeLives said on July 14, 2014 at 8:15 a.m.

So sick...

Exactly what I wanted. Wonder if Rayman is up next though with his trophy tease and current significance to the system.

rocorolly said on July 14, 2014 at 8:15 a.m.

Sorry I thought Chrom was in, and later thought F-Robin was unique. It wasn't in till I checked the official site to find things out properly.

As for FE and the popularity argument, FE as a franchise was considered lackluster in terms of sales and general popularity. So much so, that it drove the series to the point that the publishers and developers for it, were gonna discontinue the series, depending on the fate of its latest entry (Awakening). To which Awakening was met with critical acclaim, but moderate financial success relative to Nintendo's top sellers, at 1.2mill units sold.

That said, they couldn't give us (me I guess) Some representative of GS. You'd think out of all the swordsmen they've made they could have thrown Issac a bone. Nobody knows Issac? OK fine, but at least when nobody knew Issac, he had 3 games released widely outside of his native region, unlike the first two FF characters in Smash. Was it really necessary to have a manlier Marth? IMO no, no it wasn't. That's just me tho.

The_Big_Boss said on July 14, 2014 at 8:15 a.m.

WHERE IS ROY?!?!?!

SirRetro08 said on July 14, 2014 at 8:18 a.m.

That is my theory as well. 'Cause also, that'll leave Wario, Wolf, Metaknight, Lucas, R.O.B, Ivysaur, and Squirtle in the air. I'm not sure about the latter two. And you can say same goes for Lucas and possibly Wolf.

I didn't trust Gematsu's theory fully, despite appearing true somewhat. But who knows but the almighty Sakurai #Kappa

Gurpwnder said on July 14, 2014 at 8:21 a.m.

Wait, why does the artwork show Robin with a Levin sword in the artwork, but a bronze sword in the screenshots?

Codech64 said on July 14, 2014 at 8:21 a.m.

Lucina is an Alt costume for Marth.

#The more you know

Cottoneyes said on July 14, 2014 at 8:26 a.m.

Despite it being a good release trailer I'm not really too interested in many FE characters but they're welcomed but now their series has 4 rep.

Hopefully down the line some of the earlier vets can get more reps for their series such as DK, F-Zero, and Mother.

learis1 said on July 14, 2014 at 8:26 a.m.

Wow, sorry grandma. I'll go wash my mouth out with soap now.

rocorolly said on July 14, 2014 at 8:28 a.m.

No she's not she is a separate character from Marth.

#Guess you need to know more

Doopliss said on July 14, 2014 at 8:28 a.m.

He seems to trade up mid-match somehow, he wields both swords in the trailer.

Gurpwnder said on July 14, 2014 at 8:33 a.m.

So he/she has magic and a sword that level up mid-battle?

Sounds interesting.

icejohn said on July 14, 2014 at 8:33 a.m.

THE HYPEST CHIET!
All i kept saying was how awesome it would be if they added Lucina(you know...have a female swordsman or sword-woman?)But to also add robin also,is just to awesome for my nerves to handle.

maxs2d2ace said on July 14, 2014 at 8:36 a.m.

OMG!!! the HYPEST IS REAL AND I NEED TO CHANGE MY SHORTS, EXCUSE ME!!!

mcmike913 said on July 14, 2014 at 8:44 a.m.

OMFG NINTENDO YOU ARE GOD

Sunforged_One said on July 14, 2014 at 8:51 a.m.

CAPTAIN FALCON!
FINALLY!
Nintendo! TAKE MY MONEY!

mcmike913 said on July 14, 2014 at 8:57 a.m.

Also the website has Lucina listed as a newcomer so she might just be another clone character.

unseenpotential01 said on July 14, 2014 at 9:10 a.m.

Lucina's moveset is similar to marth's because she went under the alias as "Marth" in her game. I'm sure shes gonna have a similar effect as roy where her damage would be at max when done at close range or something. She's still a separate character, not an alt.

TehViraL said on July 14, 2014 at 9:21 a.m.

That moment when no one else realizes Lucina is literally just a Marth skin... and Chrom is just Robins final smash (The team up system from Awakening)

Sonson said on July 14, 2014 at 9:27 a.m.

All evidence points to Lucina being a separate playable character (most likely a clone with different attack properties, or a semi-clone that shares one or two specials with another character) including being listed as a newcomer on the main Smash site. She's not a skin, and clones aren't new to Smash

mont said on July 14, 2014 at 9:28 a.m.

Fire Emblem is the new shoto?

chipndip said on July 14, 2014 at 9:29 a.m.

She's not a skin, smart one...

ScrubStep said on July 14, 2014 at 9:31 a.m.

pretty sure 66 is right, in the trailer Luc has all the same animations as Marth, shes almost certainly just a female Marth skin.

Kijui said on July 14, 2014 at 9:31 a.m.

Wow so Fire Emblem is the trademark series this time? ALSO CAPTAIN FALCON! YRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Gurpwnder said on July 14, 2014 at 9:32 a.m.

Here's the thing though, Brawl took a hard stance AGAINST clones. All the Melee clones were removed and they tried to make Falco and Ganon more unique.

Kijui said on July 14, 2014 at 9:33 a.m.

Also, what happened to downsizing the roster?

TehViraL said on July 14, 2014 at 9:34 a.m.

Except you know Dance of Blades, and Dolphin slash, the same exact normals and sword length. Yeah she's Male Wii Fit Trainer

LightSpdAeon said on July 14, 2014 at 9:34 a.m.

She has 3 of marth's specials (i'm positive her neutral B is the same), and the same stance. Could be a clone, but with how clones have differed from themselves even, between melee and brawl, i doubt they'd make lucina this much of a copy. Hence, why i believe she's a skin. Could be wrong though, I like her either way.

Wintry said on July 14, 2014 at 9:37 a.m.

THIS. IS. HYPE.

Seriously, the inclusion of the PC from Awakening actually means I'M IN THE GAME.

LightSpdAeon said on July 14, 2014 at 9:38 a.m.

I hate this comment section. Is there a way for me to easily refresh the page without going Back > Forward?

GakoTheChef said on July 14, 2014 at 9:52 a.m.

I am so hype to play Lucina and Robin. The fact I can play as "my" Robin makes me happy!

3D said on July 14, 2014 at 9:56 a.m.

So does that mean the prohecy was right?? I haven't kept up with that list.

rocorolly said on July 14, 2014 at 10:06 a.m.

Nintendo is hungry for cash, they're gonna pimp this baby to hell. If that means back pedaling previously established goals and mindsets, so be it.

ShinAkiraDesu said on July 14, 2014 at 10:12 a.m.

f5?

DandyCheeks said on July 14, 2014 at 10:12 a.m.

They said there will be 50 characters. So they still have a lot more.

MatheViB said on July 14, 2014 at 10:22 a.m.

ROBIN!!!! OH YES! Now that is hype!

LightSpdAeon said on July 14, 2014 at 10:33 a.m.

Ah, it works. thx.

I_Are_RaBBiT said on July 14, 2014 at 10:35 a.m.

Serious question: So is it just Brawl fans that are excited for this game? Or are Melee/Project M fans also excited?

Because from what I hear, haven't Nintendo deleted nearly everything that made Melee/Project M even mildly technical and competitive?

Or are we looking at Project M-2?

Just curious.

Sonson said on July 14, 2014 at 10:48 a.m.

Well, that's what a clone is. Much like Roy from Melee, she may very well have most of the same specials, but their properties could be different. (different hitboxes, different ranges, different knockback, ect) She may also have a different set of customizable skills to differentiate herself from Marth in friend matches.

Either way, she's confirmed as a separate character on the Smash site. Both arguments are just speculation anyway based on what we've seen in a sing;e trailer. We'll have to wait and see for more details.

rocorolly said on July 14, 2014 at 10:48 a.m.

50.. WOW this is like a bid war, first mid 20s, after that 32-34, then 42-44, now 50. Who's going for 60?

@LightSpdAeon
"Hence, why i believe she's a skin. Could be wrong though"

No need for belief or speculation. She is treated like every other revealed character. Name tag specific into trailer, character page on official site, box frame mugshot next to all the other revealed characters so far. None of these things MWFT shares. I don't know how much more blunt Nintendo can make it, outside of straight up saying she is specifically not a skin of Marth.

shumathorath said on July 14, 2014 at 11:03 a.m.

i realy wanted them to announce cpt falcon with a new f-zero

DrDevice said on July 14, 2014 at 11:14 a.m.

Well in the trailer Robin said he can use his magic a certain amount of times, maybe its the same with the Levin sword?

Gurpwnder said on July 14, 2014 at 11:16 a.m.

Wait...so Robin can switch between multiple tomes, but Samus can't have multiple beams?

Why is there no love for suited Samus (not Zamus, who is receiving overwhelming amounts of love)?

LightSpdAeon said on July 14, 2014 at 11:20 a.m.

Again, if you read my comment, i stated that i believe she isn't a clone, because she seems too similar to be what Nintendo is doing with clones. I also said i could be wrong, no further commenting is needed/necessary.

chipndip said on July 14, 2014 at 11:25 a.m.

You really aren't that bright, but I'ma let you be dull somewhere else.

DarkKirby said on July 14, 2014 at 11:26 a.m.

I think it gets "used up" and he switches to a random one. Your equipment having a finite amount of uses before they "break" is a recurring mechanic in Fire Emblem.

Also, thank the Smash Gods it's Lucina and Robin and not Chrom.

chipndip said on July 14, 2014 at 11:27 a.m.

They're limited use before he can't use them again until he's knocked out, just like in the games. That means he can simply run out of his B moves. That's a very risky trade off to not be able to use your recovery move.

Gurpwnder said on July 14, 2014 at 11:46 a.m.

@ DarkKirby & chipndip

Thanks, I didn't know that. I watched the trailer without sound.

Still, the new characters are getting a lot of love, I wish some of the old characters (mostly Samus) could be redesigned with some of these interesting mechanics. Little Mac gets his Super Punch Out meter, Robin has to deal with limited item usage, Roslina gets Luma to attack from distances (like Viola from SC5) so that they represent their games.

Samus on the other hand gets a generic shot, missles and that's it. Her morph ball isn't even her crawl, she doesn't get any of her beams, etc. There's so much potential with this character, wasted.

Swaggedoutdamouth said on July 14, 2014 at 11:56 a.m.

So no Roy?

Strider_Hien said on July 14, 2014 at 12:03 p.m.

Do you think he needs one? He's kicking 2 characters to the curb quite easily.Also,the way he moves here pumps you up big time.He moves gracefully and looks badass AF.If it weren't for Robin,she was getting "PAUNCHED!"

To me,a player that usually doesn't play this kind of games, to get hype about this is a pretty big deal.FE characters look great,also.

Nintendo/Namco is going all out for the fans.

LightSpdAeon said on July 14, 2014 at 12:10 p.m.

Yeah, i think this is perfect for a returning character. Plus, batting away sword strikes with ease, the paunch, he was handled perfectly.

SoftShocks said on July 14, 2014 at 12:34 p.m.

Yoo female Robin and Lucina are dopeeee

Devdan said on July 14, 2014 at 12:35 p.m.

No one ever said there would be 50, except for maybe some GameFAQs post.

Load more comments