Tekken 7 officially announced, trailer may show Kazuya's mom and Devil Jin

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • July 13, 2014 at 7:24 p.m. PDT

At EVO 2014, Bandai Namco's Katsuhiro Harada, officially said Tekken 7 is in development, confirming the leak that happened earlier in the day.

Harada showed a short teaser trailer for the game and that more information would be coming July 25, 2014, at San Diego Comic-Con.

The trailer opens with with a view of Heihachi's residence (subsequently Jin's in Tekken 5), the Mishima estate, and shows a woman named Kazumi, who's heavily implied to be Kazuya's mother/Heihachi's lover.

What's even more curious about Harada's announcement is that Tekken 7 was not originally going to be the game he was planning to reveal today.

The Tekken series producer and game director suggested that the original plan was to reveal one of the other unannounced titles he had been working on, but that since the news about Tekken 7 had been leaked, he had to change it to this one.

Harada also said that he did not have a trailer prepared for Tekken 7, and had to run back to his hotel to prepare something from the footage he had this very morning, when he woke up to news of the leak.

You can view the trailer for yourself below.

There's a quick glimpse of what appears to be Devil Jin in the trailer, here's a screen capture.

Click image for larger version

Contributions to this story by Cheng Kai "KarbyP" Sim and Nicholas "MajinTenshinhan" Taylor.

Comments

shiningnegro said on July 13, 2014 at 7:28 p.m.

I'm confused didn't Harada say that the leaked game wasn't the one he was going to announce today.

Did the leak mess things up.

mario3d said on July 13, 2014 at 7:30 p.m.

YAY!!!!

Reality2k said on July 13, 2014 at 7:32 p.m.

^ What he said

codezues69 said on July 13, 2014 at 7:34 p.m.

yea I thought the same thing...maybe it was just a quick troll on us...who knows...but I liked the trailer...Im hype for a new game...cant complain when a new fighting game is released.

ffboi7 said on July 13, 2014 at 7:34 p.m.

Probably. Since it was leaked I assume he decided just to go with it.

Evil_Gotenks said on July 13, 2014 at 7:35 p.m.

Ya i am pissed for that reason alone... it was a meh trailer tbh. The other game better get shown on July 25th when they have the panel

anthonygamer said on July 13, 2014 at 7:35 p.m.

Whoa Tekken 7! Whoa!!!!!! WHoaaaaoh!

Blackoshinomi said on July 13, 2014 at 7:38 p.m.

come people comic con mmmm think about it ???? You done yet ? crossovers ! where was marvel 3 announce at

Blackoshinomi said on July 13, 2014 at 7:38 p.m.

Come people comic con mmmm think about it ???? You done yet ? crossovers ! where was marvel 3 announce at

NaokiVII said on July 13, 2014 at 7:39 p.m.

I would say you are right because i too remembered him saying Tekken 7 wasnt supposed to be announced yet but something else was.

KnightX666 said on July 13, 2014 at 7:41 p.m.

The crowd did not get hype for this game.

ShinAkiraDesu said on July 13, 2014 at 7:45 p.m.

that hella pissed me off that this game was leaked. if i didnt know about it, i would of gotten super chills. but instead it was anti hype.

COREY_1993 said on July 13, 2014 at 7:46 p.m.

he said that this was not the game that was intended to be announced. he then does on to say there are 2 more games coming, reveals T7 then goes away.

why didnt he reveal the game he was meant to show? so annoying. especially if it was TxSF which the crowd would have wanted. he better announce it before the grand finals.

Jayson619 said on July 13, 2014 at 7:47 p.m.

Final Battle....so now there's an end.....

RandomJohn said on July 13, 2014 at 7:47 p.m.

I'm guessing it's the last Tekken game?

Meskiukas said on July 13, 2014 at 7:48 p.m.

Leak ruined the hype and the trailer was meh, but still super excited for T7.

UncleBibby said on July 13, 2014 at 7:51 p.m.

i think Harada-san is thinking he's only allowed to announce one game, and since Tekken 7 was leaked, it had to be that one.... Or maybe he's doing this because he's mad at his own fans or something... i dunno.... i just really want to see TxSF as soon as possible. if this is all we get, then it feels like a huge letdown.

AugustAPC said on July 13, 2014 at 7:51 p.m.

When I saw the statues, I got hype as f*ck cause I thought they resembled ones in Street Fighter.... was like oh sh*t they're about to f*ck me up... then I was like...aww... damn...

Also... I'm not sure I believe that this wasn't the game he was planning to announce.

Jayson619 said on July 13, 2014 at 7:54 p.m.

The Tekken stories have been very interesting to follow so far....

Jayson619 said on July 13, 2014 at 7:55 p.m.

It's always been a question to me who is Kazuya's mother and how she died. Hopefully T7 can shed some light on this.

Galletano said on July 13, 2014 at 8 p.m.

Don't care for that silly story that always bring someone new from the grave. Show game play.

solidmgsnake said on July 13, 2014 at 8 p.m.

ANyone know wtf Ono said- theres gunna be a new info soon?

DeePhenom said on July 13, 2014 at 8:03 p.m.

everyone knew about it cause of the leak. it wasnt really a surprise

Galletano said on July 13, 2014 at 8:03 p.m.

Still exited for new Tekken, I don't care for the other game.

NinthPixel said on July 13, 2014 at 8:05 p.m.

Marvel fans ruin Tekken again. Last time they booed Harada off stage and this time they leak footage. No love man, no love.

BK said on July 13, 2014 at 8:05 p.m.

I'm still pretty hype despite that ass at ign dimming the spotlight on it. Can't wait to see the magic they put into it.

Guessing Kazumi would be too old to fight now unless Namco cook up a Dr. B did this before he died thing to clone her or something.

Would be kinda cool to see her and Heihachis fight before she was "killed".

danistheman said on July 13, 2014 at 8:06 p.m.

I officially hate AOL and IGN. I WANT TO SEE IF TxSF STILL EXISTS DAMMIT.

Virtua_Kazama said on July 13, 2014 at 8:06 p.m.

I never thought I would see Kazumi Mishima in a Tekken game.

Yung said on July 13, 2014 at 8:07 p.m.

Watch out for the Raging Demon, ma'am.

sarif2soon said on July 13, 2014 at 8:08 p.m.

I don't play Tekken, nor do I like watching it...

BUT HELL NO.

I don't wanna see any fighting game series ending.

NOT NOW.

Vampylee said on July 13, 2014 at 8:22 p.m.

I'm extremely fking pissed off. Harada clearly said that Tekken 7 was NOT the game that he was going to reveal. We all just got fked out of a TxSF trailer/update. Why else would he schedule the announcement before the SF finals.

So fking annoyed that the leak has fcked us over after this long of a wait, evo is the perfect chance to reveal it.

Id hope he would reveal it after but doubt that's gonna happen.

Thanks alot to the people who leaked this sh1t and screwed us over.

Zephyrus said on July 13, 2014 at 8:25 p.m.

no, it didn't. Don't be naive. You weren't get another game, like Harada said. You were getting Tekken 7.

It was a shi*** move by Harada because it got me hyped for TxSF.

Well whatever. Currently my hype meter is at 0, and this series used to be my favorite fighting game series.

Drop every shi*** mechanic introduced in tekken 6 and I might give it another try. Drop bound, rage, ridiculous wall carries (hell make every stage an infinite stage or atleast make it impossible to do wall combos. You put them in the corner and that's it) and drop half the roster. Focus on mechanics. Not clone characters.

Tekken 5 dr was the peak of this series. After it, it went downhill.

Gam3B0y said on July 13, 2014 at 8:27 p.m.

Ono rekkad Tekken 7 :D

Sadisticcupid said on July 13, 2014 at 8:29 p.m.

I'm confused because that would mean that horrible anime film was canon because that was the only mention of her and anna got eaten by dinosaurs, so something isn't adding up

HooliganComboFTW said on July 13, 2014 at 8:30 p.m.

Makes you wonder what that other announcement was. Harada probably threw this out as damage control to salvage whatever hype a T7 reveal would generate. Hate leaks, but oh well finally a new main series Tekken game.

Grisso9 said on July 13, 2014 at 8:36 p.m.

Tekken 7........AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

TrueGamingGuru said on July 13, 2014 at 8:37 p.m.

I'm pretty curious about Tekken 7, it is pretty cool to see Kazumi (part of her voice sounds a little similar, but I can't think). But what does worry Me was when Kazuya was speaking in English, I really don't like this voice (It might be similar SFXT or DOA English Dub, since I'm not a fan of English Dubs since most English Actors sometimes would just ruin the characters. I don't have much problem with English Voices. I just think English Voices are meant for characters like Paul, Marshall, Forest, Julia, Michelle, Bryan, Bruce etc.).

For Tekken-wise, I'd prefer characters to speak specific languages based on what country (even if characters that are from that country example Lars is from Sweden but still speaks Japanese).

Like a couple of people, I would've prefer to see TXSF. But I wouldn't cry about it, I would love to see how Tekken 7 will become for story, gameplay, & content. (despite questionable voice, My hype isn't dead for Tekken)

PS. If Tekken decides to have different voices for certain characters, I would hope to see something similar to MVC3 & SFXT voice options so I can pick between English or Japanese.

Orinon said on July 13, 2014 at 8:52 p.m.

Anyone else get a Fatal Frame feel from the trailer, XD. That was awesome.

Still kinda pissed about the IGN leak though.

BEER_GAYTES said on July 13, 2014 at 8:57 p.m.

Awesome news for the Tekken Community, still I want my TXSF.

omegamarth said on July 13, 2014 at 9:19 p.m.

I'm thinking reboot after Tekken 7.

MrWow12 said on July 13, 2014 at 9:26 p.m.

"The Final Battle" so hype just like TTT2. Can't wait for comic con.

AugustAPC said on July 13, 2014 at 10:14 p.m.

It ain't gonna end, bro. "Final" can reference plenty of things.
At the very worst, Tekken will have a spiritual successor. But honestly, that ain't gonna happen. Tekken is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too popular, long standing and successful.

irc_mocpac said on July 13, 2014 at 10:42 p.m.

Another arcade release first? That's dumb. Namco needs to release the game on console first... Getting tired of waiting for a year after it's release to actually play the game.

TheOtherTensei said on July 13, 2014 at 11:45 p.m.

I need to point out, that it is Kazuya transforming not Jin.

cadnexus said on July 13, 2014 at 11:45 p.m.

All I care about seeing is the game play. I want to see if it's smooth this time around and not too stiff and clunky. I also hope this game doesn't disappoint fans like DOA5 did, MVC3 and etc. DOA5 has the worst DLC characters in fighting game history, all Tekken need to fix is the clunky stiff style and after that's done DOA5 or any other DOA game with lots of disappointment is no longer relevant for me. I'm guessing Tekken 7 will also have some interactivity with the environment, possibly better than DOA5u

BoscaBat said on July 13, 2014 at 11:48 p.m.

I'm very happy..cause we get a pure Tekken game on next gen.

I did lose interest in TxSF tbh, but hopefully if revealed it will get me hyped.

Roll on July 25th!

GenSoHotSpicy said on July 14, 2014 at 12:05 a.m.

*yawn* Tekken is a poor man's Virtua Fighter.

Triforce said on July 14, 2014 at 12:37 a.m.

I respect the fact that he didn't act like we were all stupid like other VG companies have with leaks. Totally played off of our seeing it, ha. I for one was never deep into the Tekken series so I was hoping for a TxSF twist tonight. Regardless, only a mere 11 days before SDCC news.

fgclolz said on July 14, 2014 at 1 a.m.

Well, at least we're getting a new game. Where is your VF6? :P

FightDirty said on July 14, 2014 at 1:22 a.m.

Right now I'm good with Tekken 5DR and TTT2. Wondering what is going on with TxSF, have they nixed it and just don't have the heart to tell us?

I never picked up Tekken 6 so maybe I'll get 7 when it comes out.

CubaNectie said on July 14, 2014 at 1:25 a.m.

What's with the English voiceovers... D::

LeonX said on July 14, 2014 at 3:30 a.m.

Bad signal isn't it? But its just a teaser, here play the japanese trailer with god like voices *_*

meistermayo said on July 14, 2014 at 4:33 a.m.

Why is there five videos of people discussing and talking about the Tekken 7 trailer on Youtube but not ONE working video of Tekken 7 trailer itself?

TheBoneCollector said on July 14, 2014 at 5:10 a.m.

Not what he planned on announcing? I hope the original announcement was for this over due tekken x street fighter.

I_Are_RaBBiT said on July 14, 2014 at 5:31 a.m.

If Tekken 7 releases before Tekken x SF, fans won't be pleased. Stop stalling Harada, you're not Ono!

EagleBirdMan said on July 14, 2014 at 6:02 a.m.

Ah don't pay him any mind. Tekken's the better game anyways. ^_^

I mean, it's not like you see Virtua Fighter at any events like this. :P So silly.

htownboss23 said on July 14, 2014 at 6:35 a.m.

hopefully this not the last tekken im sure there's a tekken tag 3 where the entire tekken universe will face off

LeonX said on July 14, 2014 at 6:45 a.m.

I prefer Tekken over TKxSF \o

Blackoshinomi said on July 14, 2014 at 8:17 a.m.

I believe Comic Con is where Txsf is going to be announced . Where are most crossover from? Comics! Harada showed a short teaser trailer of Tekken 7 at evo and said when he walked on stage he is working on 3 new fighting game and has 3 announcement. But he wanted to show us something eles beside tekken7 Because it was leak he just went with it ! July 25, 2014, is San Diego Comic Con.who knows what will happen .....

mrambitious said on July 14, 2014 at 8:19 a.m.

Yeah for me personally I always enjoyed all of Tekkens storyline. Even back in t3 days when most intro and outro videos were jokes they were still solid stotylines. Once Dark Resurrection came around they really started to develop the Mishima storyline heavily and it's all been good stuff. I would almost classify it as a anime fighter. Looking forward to the official origin of the Mishima family.

mrambitious said on July 14, 2014 at 8:30 a.m.

Yes they show Kazuya with the rocks lifting off the ground as he powers up, but the silhouette Heihachi is facing off with looks like Jin and the picture EH has below the video is absolutely devil jin. I mean they are all going to be in the game either way let's be real here Harada only adds more characters, never removes any old ones.

icejohn said on July 14, 2014 at 8:46 a.m.

Screw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All because of ign we didn't get the real news that was suppose to come out.And i don't want to sound presumptuous, but given the fact that he said he be joined by ono,makes me believe it was TKxSf. All because ign wanted some recognition.(yes i assume that too)

Wonder_Chef said on July 14, 2014 at 9:05 a.m.

For the record, as we were leaving the ballroom on Saturday (we were in there a bit late to clear out the MK9 side tournament) the Tekken 7 title flashed on the big screen for a little bit.

So I assume it was at least going to be announced in some way since they had it ready on Saturday.

ROSHINOBI said on July 14, 2014 at 9:19 a.m.

I don't think its the last tekken game...its probably to say the final battle betweenthe mishimas' . maybe Heihachi will finally be killed by kazuya or vice versa. In any scenerio the mishima conflict is coming to an end. After this we might get a time jump like we did with tekken 2 into tekken 3 where Jin was introduce. I'm thinking Heihachi will be defeated for good. Leaving only the devils Kazuya and Jin to continue the blood feud of the mishimas'...and if the next tekkenis a time skip maybe it will be a battle between kazuya jin and Jin's son/daughter. Whatever the case things are coming to an end far as kazuya and heihachi's long going feud.

GirlsOfGaming said on July 14, 2014 at 9:36 a.m.

Kazuyas mom huh? Interesting

Majin_LenOH said on July 14, 2014 at 9:43 a.m.

Where did he say he would be joined by Ono?

Hyoton said on July 14, 2014 at 10:12 a.m.

Lili! How I missed you!

RoboBoomByYahh said on July 14, 2014 at 10:21 a.m.

I was hoping for TxSF...anyone else?

ScS_blodiasalt said on July 14, 2014 at 10:37 a.m.

Shoutouts to IGN for ruining everything.

AntiSexist said on July 14, 2014 at 11:02 a.m.

No they don't doodoo head. Marie Rose, Phase 4, and NyoTengu are awesome and are incredibly fun and interesting. Don't try to use your stupid biased opinion as if it is a fact.

Why is it because all of them are girls that makes you think they are disappointing? If so then you are a sexist piece of horse manure.

It is sad how fake DOA fans who would try to bash the game like you exist, kick rocks loser!!!!

Dimensional said on July 14, 2014 at 11:19 a.m.

Hmmm well that trailer was pretty rubbish I like the idea of showing Kazuyas mother but TBH I dont play Tekken for the story and while its better than the frankly terribad SF stories its not exactly something I look forward to like I would in say Persona 4 Arena, Blazblue or MK.

Need to see some gameplay before I get interested. I loved Tekken 2 and was so hype for Tekken 3 but when it came it dissapointed me and I sorta just stopped playing entirely around Tekken 5, maybe I will get back in with 7.

I just want them to announce a new SC game one with a decent roster, expanded create a soul feature good single player offering coupled with a good online vs offering. Oh and kill Lost Swords that game is an abomination if they make money off that then there is no justice.

htownboss23 said on July 14, 2014 at 11:37 a.m.

if this is the last tekken game then street fighter will torture and reign countless crappy games unless ed boon continues to throw us mortal kombat and injustice games our way to stop much madness but I doubt tekken 7 is the last game.

icejohn said on July 14, 2014 at 11:42 a.m.

well...he didn't say he would be 'joined' by him, but it was announced that ono would suspiciously be making an appearance at the same time as him, just like when ono announced sfxt

Meskiukas said on July 14, 2014 at 12:26 p.m.

If Tekken is stiff and clunky for you then you need to practice some more. Tekken is one of the smoothest fighting games out there, you can cancel movement any way you want. Watch JDCR or any top Korean player and tell me the game is "clunky".

TrueGamingGuru said on July 14, 2014 at 12:46 p.m.

@Blackoshinomi

I do hope its really the case. Because part of TXSF was suppose to be in development after TTT2, and he was involved with a couple of other projects to a point where there has been no news for TXSF other than that "TXSF is not dead."

I'm not that disappointed that Tekken 7 has been announced.

My only guess for the 3rd game (if its possibly true) was the Pokken Game (which is Pokémon game that will use gameplay similar to the Tekken games). But the real answers to find out is Comic Con 14.

@Dimensional

Even if you want a new SC game, Project Soul is still responsible for their own game. Part of Project Soul's comments "It might be a little bit of a cop-out answer, but we are trying to target everyone—old fans and new players alike. We definitely value our player base and we want to maintain the quality of the SoulCalibur franchise, but at the same time, this game is definitely catered towards an audience who will experience the franchise for the first time."

But to be quite honest neither SCV nor SC Lost Swords (which I think Lost Swords is an ok game, but no where great nor solid) is going to be doing any justice for fans who enjoy SE-SCIV (especially people who hate SCV or Lost Swords due part of moves or mechanics changed just for casuals to get into).

By all means, don't really expect much if a new SC game was ever made or if their quality going to do great especially rushed SCV to the point that certain content got scrapped, they don't give their own game enough support to the point of lasting long. (unlike other developers) PS. SC Lost Swords is likely going to make millions.

Majin_LenOH said on July 14, 2014 at 12:55 p.m.

His appearance was at the same time period as Ono because all major announcements come before the main game starts (highest viewership) and because Ono is always there every year to support the game he developed and promoted.

Eventhub's reaching as usual made people think it was a TxSF reveal when reading and common sense indicated otherwise.

1ButtonDash said on July 14, 2014 at 1:09 p.m.

I wanna see the visuals, but because Tekken 7 is next for Namco I'm guessin TxSF has been put on further hold.

JRXP2011 said on July 14, 2014 at 1:45 p.m.

Tekken 7? Residentsleeper..... NEXT!

shadowhumane said on July 14, 2014 at 4:09 p.m.

1 new moves for all fighters please no more same moves from past tekken games.
2 remove the bound system it was a good idea but its forceful to do that get big damage combos maybe something new.
3 no clone fighters im sick of all the clones remove them.
4 get rid of the joke fighters i want a serious tekken game this time.
5 do not bring dead fighters back when they already dead bring them back as parts or numbers like a king etc they should not be in tekken if it be a tag game or cross over.
6 better soundtrack tekken 6 and tag 2 has the worst soundtrack ever tekken 6 music was ok but leave the dub step music alone or make remixes of there old theme songs.
7 bring back tekken tunes best thing happen to fighting games.
8 where the hell is my Michelle Chang and jun kazama bring them back.
9 better story mode tekken 6 have the worst campaign ever no more running just arcade style.
10 better online experience better net code make a ranked lobby and check they top fighters they played do something new whatever.

Zephyrus said on July 14, 2014 at 5:19 p.m.

doesn't want clone characters. wants jun and michelle back.

X_Axel said on July 14, 2014 at 5:51 p.m.

YES, The King of Iron fist tournament is back.

BlazinKoolBreez said on July 14, 2014 at 10:45 p.m.

Excellent!

GodzOfTheArenaTV said on July 14, 2014 at 11:30 p.m.

So basically what you are telling me is that, because Tekken 7 was leaked by IGN we got stiffed on the Evo 2014 reveal of Tekken x Street Fighter. Maaaaaaaan, that's sooooo messed up. This is what I'm talking about people need to quit leaking stuff. This ruins a lot of things for devs, fans and people over all.

Clutchh said on July 15, 2014 at 12:22 a.m.

The trailer was "meh" because he made it that morning, give the guy a break.

LarsMasters said on July 15, 2014 at 7:22 a.m.

An ENG/JPN voice option?

MCZ_Ryu said on July 17, 2014 at 9:24 a.m.

I thought the crowd at evo was pretty hype when the trailer was being played

mrsbonbon said on July 18, 2014 at 12:11 a.m.

just put zafina in thats all i ask