Raiden enters Mortal Kombat X - EVO 2014 character reveal trailer and images

Posted by Cheng Kai 'KarbyP' Sim • July 12, 2014 at 1:53 p.m. PDT

It's official: Like many of you have guessed, Raiden is the next playable character to be announced for Mortal Kombat X. NetherRealm Studios's Ed Boon announced right after the Injustice: Gods Among Us top 8 play-offs at EVO 2014 today.

The Raiden character reveal trailer showed all three variations of the character, as well as his X-ray move and Fatality. Check out the reveal trailer below.

Click images for larger versions

Variation A is Thunder God Raiden, who has "Electrocution Kombos" and the ability to lay out static projectiles that sit around like floating landmines, not unlike Noel Vermillion's projectiles from the BlazBlue series.

Variation B is Displacer Raiden, who has a teleporation ability that can be used not only within combos, but also to dodge projectiles, and to briefly hide from your opponent -- at one point of the trailer, Raiden disappears from the screen for between one to two seconds, only to suddenly reappear behind his opponent, Kotal Kahn.

Last but not least, Variation C of the character is Storm Lord Raiden. This version of Raiden has lightning traps, which appear to be activated automatically after Raiden has sent out multiple floating projectiles. Static electricity is then generated through these projectiles and used to link one to the other, creating an electric fence that can prevent your opponent from jumping in or approaching from the front.

Mortal Kombat X is due for release on the PC, PS3, PS4, X360, and Xbox One sometime in 2015.

Source: SrkEVO1 stream. Images from MKIceandFire.

Comments

pdxdude said on July 12, 2014 at 1:56 p.m.

really? they waited for EVO to announce Raiden? Raiden being in MKX is a no brainer. Thats like waiting until E3 to announce JUST Scorpion or Sub-Zero. They should have used the hype of EVO to announce someone else to get players hyped more for the game.

LightSpdAeon said on July 12, 2014 at 1:59 p.m.

This. I mean, he didn't die in MK9, and he's Raiden. Why wouldn't he be in? No hype at all.

SirKenjamin said on July 12, 2014 at 2 p.m.

Wow you guys are on the ball this weekend.

DunnDeal said on July 12, 2014 at 2 p.m.

That's like revealing Ryu for a new SF game. DERP

TheTTimeLives said on July 12, 2014 at 2:01 p.m.

Boon tweeted out 3 so there's probably more stuff incoming. Raiden looks kind of whatever though.

Fightingfan69 said on July 12, 2014 at 2:01 p.m.

Was never a big fan of MK. The fatalities are over the top and not biggest draw in My book.

The idea of 3 very different fighting styles per characters really intrigues me though as shown in the trailer.

Yet I just can't enjoy the 'Block' button aspect of the series. Injustice was more accessible. That's just my personal opinion though.

RenyNoise said on July 12, 2014 at 2:02 p.m.

Mario confirmed for Smash Bros.

BlackRain said on July 12, 2014 at 2:02 p.m.

Don’t know what you watched, but what I saw definitely got me hyped, same old Raiden or not, the gameplay looked awesome.

Also, its the first time they showed Kotal Kahn off for real.

SqueakyBloom said on July 12, 2014 at 2:02 p.m.

If you guys weren't hype for the stuff he did, then I doubt you have ever and will ever be hyped for anything ever.

Displacer Raiden...Love it!

BumbleBee said on July 12, 2014 at 2:03 p.m.

Deadly Alliance outfit, loving it !

SnakeX said on July 12, 2014 at 2:03 p.m.

What a....SHOCKING reveal.

LightSpdAeon said on July 12, 2014 at 2:04 p.m.

You'd rage quit everytime you play this if there wasn't a block button.

LightSpdAeon said on July 12, 2014 at 2:06 p.m.

Smoke, Reiko, Rain, others, would've made me hype.

JRXP2011 said on July 12, 2014 at 2:07 p.m.

I'm loving the way the graphics are looking for this game. I hope the gameplay feels as good. I can't wait to get my hands on a demo.

TheTTimeLives said on July 12, 2014 at 2:08 p.m.

I just don't think I like Raiden that much is all. Seeing the new sub zero and scorpion in action got me much more hype than seeing Raiden again. And I love all the new characters aside from the bug girl. Really wanna play Kotal Kahn.

SqueakyBloom said on July 12, 2014 at 2:08 p.m.

Don't get me wrong, they would get me hype as well, but if what Raiden did in that video didn't get you hype even the least bit, then the hype gene in you is broke.

I will be honest though, I was hoping for Raiden+Another reveal. But the lone Raiden reveal did good enough for me.

Shajita said on July 12, 2014 at 2:08 p.m.

Exactly. While Raiden himself may have been a very predictable choice, the way they've evolved his moveset shows a lot of promise.

And frankly, that's why he was the perfect character to show off at Evo. If there's any place where movesets and depth is, or rather should be valued more than shocking reveals or fatalities, then it is Evo.

SqueakyBloom said on July 12, 2014 at 2:12 p.m.

And people know who Raiden is, so showcasing what MKX has to offer in front of so many fighting game players by using a familiar character in Fighting Game history is how you can do this.

LightSpdAeon said on July 12, 2014 at 2:14 p.m.

Enough with the "broken hype" talk, you sound idiotic. In my group of friends, we who like to split the roster, I don't use Raiden, so i don't plan on using him. That being said, i'm a fan of teleportation, so that was nice.

Dsynkronized said on July 12, 2014 at 2:14 p.m.

Can I just say.. First one who called it haha I'm maiming him has down where he is on the tier chart

theshredder39 said on July 12, 2014 at 2:17 p.m.

Look guys I understand that this is EVO and you were expecting someone other than themain stays but come on is it any worse than Decapre who was hyped up as a mystery character for almost half a year with Capcom acting like it would be the biggest reveal ever then it turns out to be Cammy with a mask and differnt specials and ultras? I think not.

LightSpdAeon said on July 12, 2014 at 2:20 p.m.

I think so... you said it yourself, DIFFERENT specials, DIFFERENT ultras, NOT the same, but a new character. Btw, i wanted a returning character, just not Raiden, lol. Can't win 'em all though.

theshredder39 said on July 12, 2014 at 2:30 p.m.

Yeah I get that but I also get why people were upset about Decapre at first because a character like that I feel shouldn't have been hyped up as much as she did I'm fine with it but I'm just trying to tone down the complaints about Raiden here even though it's probably impossible lol.

LightSpdAeon said on July 12, 2014 at 2:37 p.m.

Meh, i'm one of the few that liked decapre's reveal. i mean yes, i said i'd prefer a different doll than decapre and a few others, but it's wtv. I go with the flow easily. She's in my top 3, lol.

JuriTheSpider said on July 12, 2014 at 2:39 p.m.

For the record Capcom really didn't hype Decapre like everyone keeps saying. The hype for the mystery character was like 80% from within the community. We were the ones speculating on every article who it might be. Capcom only really brought up the mystery character a handful of times not to mention that Ono himself said that he expected disappointment from a lot of people when she was finally revealed.

LightSpdAeon said on July 12, 2014 at 2:40 p.m.

On another note, they shouldv'e put Alex, Q, and/or Remy. why not put in the main character of sf3 right? wtv

Yung said on July 12, 2014 at 2:42 p.m.

I'm shocked.

KleenexGhost said on July 12, 2014 at 2:44 p.m.

So far I'm liking the Displacer variation the most. I didn't play around with Raiden much in MK9, but when I did I would always screw around with his teleport.

Nothing serious, mainly for sh*ts & giggles.

Mufasa3151 said on July 12, 2014 at 2:57 p.m.

Wow people are never satisfied with anything. That looked awesome!

irc_mocpac said on July 12, 2014 at 2:59 p.m.

Ed Boon said it was a "shocker"

Ah!

GiganV3 said on July 12, 2014 at 3:04 p.m.

We all knew he was going to be in but his gameplay looks certainly more fun than before so that's the good part of the trailer, looks like I'll be able to play this more than just for the story mode.

jadeguy said on July 12, 2014 at 3:06 p.m.

I really didn't get hype from this trailer because I knew Raiden will return in MKX, but i must say Raiden gameplay was intriguing i'm loving his variations.

Kenshiro said on July 12, 2014 at 3:08 p.m.

Excellent reveal. Can't wait to see more.

rlt4life said on July 12, 2014 at 3:10 p.m.

I always felt raiden's play style was a bit one dimensional. These variations really seem to be what he needs to really flesh him out in battle.

1ButtonDash said on July 12, 2014 at 3:12 p.m.

Just glad he had his iconic line with that super man move.

HEY-YO-MOTHER-KAYEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Shoryunator said on July 12, 2014 at 3:13 p.m.

Really like how Raiden is looking, and the additional Kotal Khan footage was also nice.

ReddChief said on July 12, 2014 at 3:16 p.m.

Showing something is better than nothing, another character that wasn't so obvious would of been cool but maybe that's what they have finished for now to show off. The reveal was hype, it's not like he is similar to the MK9 Raiden, the new moveset is awesome.

FADCTAUNT said on July 12, 2014 at 3:18 p.m.

Same stupid looking animations and juggling. *sigh*

flungdungfar said on July 12, 2014 at 3:24 p.m.

I was impressed, until the fatality, same bleh kinda scenarios. Luckily fatalities mean nothing as far as actually playing the game. Still would be nice to have something a bit more creative.

SayWhatAgain said on July 12, 2014 at 3:25 p.m.

KOMBAT X!

xShonuffx said on July 12, 2014 at 3:36 p.m.

MY MAIN!!!!

BumbleBrady said on July 12, 2014 at 3:43 p.m.

Raiden dying in MK9 wouldn't matter. He is a must have in a MK game. Without him people wouldn't be happy.

Sakura said on July 12, 2014 at 3:59 p.m.

After the nostalgia fest that was MK9, I was really hoping we wouldn't see any more returning characters outside of the main ninjas. A cast of mainly new characters would do well to show MK isn't still stuck in the 90s.

AugustAPC said on July 12, 2014 at 4:14 p.m.

*sigh* at people being pissy over the who the character is and ignoring the gameplay. We got 4 brand new characters already.

Raiden looks sick. I burst out laughing during his fatality. The eye popping was awesome!

The electricity on his head during "Storm Lord" mode is kinda goofy, but the lightning traps are sick!

Mr_Salt said on July 12, 2014 at 4:23 p.m.

That was really cool gameplay there. I like the trap version of Raiden but I don't like the thinking cap he wears in that outfit.

1ButtonDash said on July 12, 2014 at 4:24 p.m.

did he "die" in MK9? I literally forgot who lived and died. I remember playin story mode and loving it and I do remember at the end that more than half the cast was dead but can't remember if Raiden himself died. I do however remember Liu Kang dieing.

BlueKnight said on July 12, 2014 at 4:28 p.m.

Raiden Thunder God combo look sick!

BumbleBrady said on July 12, 2014 at 4:42 p.m.

I do not personally know but people made mention of it.

AugustAPC said on July 12, 2014 at 4:45 p.m.

Liu Kang was severely injured by Raiden when he tried to stop Shao Khan from entering Earthrealm. He basically burnt the sh*t out of Liu Kang's body, but I'm pretty sure Liu Kang survived. Raiden did not die.
No one really stays dead in MK, though.

RedRapperSux said on July 12, 2014 at 4:56 p.m.

Can anyone confirm whether or not this will feel like an underwater fighting simulator? My biggest fear with current MK titles.

DangerousBacon said on July 12, 2014 at 5:20 p.m.

It still has the under water feel but to a lesser extent so make of that what you will.

Eternal7 said on July 12, 2014 at 5:24 p.m.

@25 because giving out hints and saying only four people guess right out of the whole community isn't a form of hyping it up...

danistheman said on July 12, 2014 at 5:38 p.m.

I got hype. Not sure what's wrong with you guys.

AugustAPC said on July 12, 2014 at 6:21 p.m.

Umm... it may move different than most other 2D fighters, but underwater? It never felt anything like that.

Fightingfan69 said on July 12, 2014 at 6:22 p.m.

Even though I'm not a fan of the MK with it's block button aspect. This game looks pretty interesting.

I really like how they made 3 different fighting styles per character and how each one can be identified which fighting style is chosen. Raiden's hands are electrified in the first one. His teleportation has most of his body with static electricity, and his 'trap' one has his at all static(y).

Same with Katal Kahn. Red, Blue and Yellow tattoos depending on what fighting style he uses. Really cool.

AugustAPC said on July 12, 2014 at 6:33 p.m.

I'll be interested in seeing what moves actually become uniform. Like Scorpion has to have his spear across all his archetypes, right? Sub-Zero has to have his freeze. Can Raiden teleport in each stance?

It's a bit scary to think that some characters' most iconic attacks might not be available to them in certain "modes". There's a lot of intrigue with this new system. It could be an awesome solution to bad match-ups. I just hope it doesn't turn out like one archetype will just be the all around best. Like some characters Ultras in SF:IV are just always the better choice.

HooliganComboFTW said on July 12, 2014 at 6:40 p.m.

Raiden being confirmed is not an automatic deduction because for all we know he could have been killed off screen like Lui Kang (and he was the main protagonist of MK) did. Not to mention the game will have a mix of old and NEW characters so naturally some of the old characters won't make the cut in MKX.

Fightingfan69 said on July 12, 2014 at 7:11 p.m.

Agreed.

I just love characters with different fighting styles.

I'm not sure if Raiden can teleport in each stance. I would think so only his telportation variation seems to have more varieties of them.

wonderful101 said on July 12, 2014 at 7:54 p.m.

Man that was a sick reveal trailer, i don't care if Raiden was predictable pick for the game. NetherRealm really showed Raiden off perfectly in this trailer. The particle effects on Raiden's lighting just makes each lighting attack feel more visceral and looks so good. Also Kotal Kahn looked really fun in that trailer also.

I guess you can say that the trailer was an eye popping experience:)

himura said on July 12, 2014 at 9:37 p.m.

No Redesign for Raiden? He almost looks out of place.....

and i expected a redesign of his mechanics....the fighting style looks pretty dumb in comparison with the other chars.....

i see a couple Blazblue refs in his new moves, although if i were the god of thunder, the last thing i would do is fly towards my enemy like superman.....

what a crappy god of thunder....

AugustAPC said on July 12, 2014 at 10:27 p.m.

Good thing you're not the God of Thunder.

RedRapperSux said on July 12, 2014 at 11:55 p.m.

I don't know how else to describe it.

htownboss23 said on July 12, 2014 at 11:58 p.m.

Despite the odds of opinions raiden looked awesome who's next

AugustAPC said on July 13, 2014 at midnight

Different? I'm not sure if you're talking about the pace of the game or the animations, but neither feel like under water.
Yes, the attacks are slower than in most 2D fighters... but who says that's a bad thing?
The animations, while there are definitely some questionable ones in MK9 and Injustice..., there's actually some great stuff too. Catwoman has one of the best backdashes I've seen.
MKX's animations look great to me.

docbrown said on July 13, 2014 at 12:39 a.m.

cairndawgy said on July 13, 2014 at 2:55 a.m.

Loving it !!! aaaaaarrggghh cant wait! guest char should be adam chaplin. If u aint seen the film adam chaplin u aint lived!

DOOMSDAY15RUS said on July 13, 2014 at 5:14 a.m.

Guys srly! Decapre with different moves and ultras... Dat raiden is not with same moves with mk9 raiden at all, there is a lot of new stuff, stop cry for no reason. I don't play raiden too but i'm still hype and off NRS can't show now all new stuff, just stay tuned and u will see better news for you. I'm sure that they will reveal one of ninjas soon

XeroDgX said on July 13, 2014 at 7:06 a.m.

The only I didn't like is that after you win usually says "Raiden wins [pause] Fatality", and now is "fatality, Raiden Wins"....besides all is good.....May be is an old character that many people was sure it would be included (still didn't meant it was a sure bet, remember mk3?)...and is not the same Raiden at all.....is a new character with an old gimmick so is the same as the reveal of a new character technically

Dragonage2ftw said on July 13, 2014 at 8:57 a.m.

Boon already said that there are going to be quite a few characters in MKX that were from MK9.

However, he also said that there will only be 9 characters from MK9, and the rest will be new/from the MK4-MKA era.

Dragonage2ftw said on July 13, 2014 at 9:08 a.m.

What?

Which moves are references to BB?

What's wrong with his fighting style?

RandomSelectMaster said on July 14, 2014 at 3:25 p.m.

A DE MA YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!