Boon: Mortal Kombat X will introduce more new characters than any entry since the first game - DLC fighters planned, one is a 'guest'

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • July 12, 2014 at 5 p.m. PDT

Mortal Kombat X is going to have a lot of new faces in it, NetherRealm Studios' Ed Boon relayed in an interview at EVO 2014, hosted by Mad Catz.

"We introduced a lot of new characters in [Mortal Kombat X]," said Boon, adding that he believes this game will introduce more new fighters into the MK franchise than any previous version — since the original release.

He added that if a fighter you're particularly fond of doesn't make the initial cut, there's still hope in the future.

"If you don't see your favorite character, there's always the DLC characters," said Boon.

As far as who the DLC characters could be, Boon felt that there's a novelty to having guest characters, like Freddy Krueger in MK9 and Scorpion and Injustice, so there's a very good chance you'll see another guest fighter this time around as well.

The DLC fighters won't be just guest characters though, said Boon, but there's a strong chance you'll see at least one.

Boon was also asked how different the variations would make each of the characters in MKX, as ATP|Aris specifically wondered if they're messing with the walk speed, jump arc, run speed, or anything like that.

"All of those are exactly the kind of variables we're messing with," said Boon. "We also want to have each character have their own unique special moves that are complimentary to the style we want to give them," said Boon.

He noted there's a rushdown and distance version of Scorpion, and that one of the variations also gives him a fireball for the first time.

If you want to watch the interview for yourself, it starts at the 3:47:00 time stamp in the embed below.

Video from Mad Catz.

Comments

nightmaresteam said on July 12, 2014 at 5:03 p.m.

Jason Voorhes confirmed as guest character

DMAN367 said on July 12, 2014 at 5:07 p.m.

This game needs to come out now!

Kvothe said on July 12, 2014 at 5:08 p.m.

Batman.

Necrotrophic said on July 12, 2014 at 5:10 p.m.

Thats actually good, because I think the majority of the older characters are kind of stale at this point and few were ever really good.

However, it looks like the new characters for MKX are awesome and I will only play them. So far I havent seen any character that I dont like in MKX except maybe Cassie but who knows. Kotal (sp) Kahn is one of the coolest characters they've ever made, and the same goes for most of the new characters.

AugustAPC said on July 12, 2014 at 5:11 p.m.

Won't be a DC character. DC doesn't let their characters get brutalized the way MK characters do each other.

Still... I wish people would stop buying guest character DLC. I personally feel they are wastes of slots. There are bound to be a lot of disappointments in non-returning characters from MK9... this is just another slot that could have been given to one of them.

HardRojo said on July 12, 2014 at 5:13 p.m.

Ah well, good to know they are already announced DLC characters will be there, I will do just what I did with MK9 and I:GAU which was wait for the Complete Edition.

Gam3B0y said on July 12, 2014 at 5:14 p.m.

Agree with you
I hate guest characters :/
I hope SF will never have them

Ett said on July 12, 2014 at 5:15 p.m.

geralt from the witcher please

ThinkJurgen said on July 12, 2014 at 5:19 p.m.

Ok, I was going to pass this game up until now. I guess I'm a sucker for lots of characters. Plus, each character having different versions of themselves sounds like lots of discovery to be had.

Has anyone mentioned that Kotal Kahn and Orge from Tekken look similar? Even so, I still like the design.

maxi2099 said on July 12, 2014 at 5:20 p.m.

Good, I really hope there's only like 5 or 6 characters from the last game, at least without the DLC.
Also, I hope at least half of this DLC is chosen by the players and not by the team before even the game gets released...

ThinkJurgen said on July 12, 2014 at 5:25 p.m.

From what I read in this article, there wont be any "waisted slots". It sounds like if people want a character who isn't apart of the main selection, they might create them later for the game as DLC.

qcevolution said on July 12, 2014 at 5:26 p.m.

*Sigh* while new faces are nice every new one means that my mainstay (Kitana) may not make it. That's actually quite disappointing. And it will undoubtedly make me salty every time an OG is announced that isnt Kitana. (looks over at Raiden)...... Granted im still gonna buy the game day one. lol I <3 MK

draw2 said on July 12, 2014 at 5:27 p.m.

"if it bleeds...we can kill it"

qcevolution said on July 12, 2014 at 5:33 p.m.

And not to be that guy lol but Mk already has a WEALTH of one off, z list, no name, throw away characters....like a ton of them lol

SummerUndercover said on July 12, 2014 at 5:39 p.m.

I'm greatly looking forward to see the new characters. I'm already digging all of the E3 reveals, especially Kotal Khan.

TheTTimeLives said on July 12, 2014 at 5:42 p.m.

Predator?
Terminator?

Just anything that reps the 80's and I'll be happy for guest.

hewhay said on July 12, 2014 at 5:44 p.m.

Wraith Liu Kang confirmed as dlc

Yung said on July 12, 2014 at 5:45 p.m.

Oh yes, Netherrealm, the Gods of DLC. People complain about Capcom, but Netherrealm is almost in their level. I guess the difference is that Netherrealm games actually has more content than just Arcade Mode and "Challenges".

trog said on July 12, 2014 at 5:52 p.m.

dat boob-grabing banner

SpellcraftQuill said on July 12, 2014 at 5:56 p.m.

Where did the images in the banner come from. I'm surpised that nobody tried to guess who they were yet or what they could be. I can only guess the middle one is Egyptian-themed or even a redesigned Havik. Drahmin was disconfirmed even though the figure on the right has similarities to the former.

theshredder39 said on July 12, 2014 at 6 p.m.

I find it interesting that Mortal Kombat is sort of taking the Soul Calibur route when it comes to guest characters, we had Freddy and Kratos in 9 and now for X we'll get somebody, maybe the Xbox will actually get an exclusive this time which has got tobe Fulgore I feel.

AugustAPC said on July 12, 2014 at 6:18 p.m.

They also have a wealth of great characters. Everyone from MK9, minus Freddy and Kratos are great characters.

There's a few beyond that who have potential, but would need entirely new move-sets, a la Quan-Chi.
Shinnok, Fujin, Havik, Sareena, Asrhah, Nitara and maybe Tanya and Reiko are all characters that have interesting premises but terrible move-sets. Quan-Chi used to be in that category, but his new move-set in MK9 was awesome.

Those are really the only characters I'd care to see from MK4 and beyond. Even then, again, they'd still need a lot of work.

Wavathar said on July 12, 2014 at 6:42 p.m.

The first shadow is CHUCK LIDELL. Confirmed.

You read here first!

HooliganComboFTW said on July 12, 2014 at 6:43 p.m.

Not surprised considering Freddy Krueger and Scorpion were high selling DLC

danistheman said on July 12, 2014 at 6:52 p.m.

Predator I'm almost sure will be the guest character. It just makes too much sense.

But for MK characters, SAREENA OR BUST!

tekkamandan said on July 12, 2014 at 6:59 p.m.

Please, for the love of god, put Judge Dredd in this game. He's the perfect fit.

1ButtonDash said on July 12, 2014 at 6:59 p.m.

with the gruesomeness this game already has showed, I'm sure we are in store for a ton of more sadistic stuff and I know this character has already been mentioned but with the dark vibe this game is portraying I can def see Jason Voorheez fitting into the cast

Galletano said on July 12, 2014 at 7:05 p.m.

Amazing news I don't want to be stuck with the same character for eternity.

FlynnChop said on July 12, 2014 at 7:14 p.m.

So I guess the people who died in MK9 are staying dead, then?

That's a lot of dead characters :O

Bloody_hado said on July 12, 2014 at 7:18 p.m.

The Predator for guest character

CodyPajamas said on July 12, 2014 at 7:26 p.m.

DLC planned for a game being released next year? Guess I'll be waiting for the Komplete edition.

Cartpusher said on July 12, 2014 at 7:35 p.m.

Dlc already?

jadeguy said on July 12, 2014 at 7:35 p.m.

My Top 10 Guest Characters:

1. Jason Voorhees (Friday The 13th)
2. Mrs.Pamela Voorhees (Friday the 13th)
3. Rayne (Bloodrayne)
4. Spawn (Image Comics)
5. Carrie White (Stephen King's "Carrie")
6. Ghost Face (Scream)
7. Creeper (Jeepers Creepers)
8. Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
9. Michael Myers (Halloween)
10. Mary Sibley (WGN's "Salem")

AugustAPC said on July 12, 2014 at 7:40 p.m.

Was there any doubt this game was going to have DLC?

jadeguy said on July 12, 2014 at 7:45 p.m.

And also i would love to see Xenomorh (Alien), Predator (Predator) & Nemesis T-Type (Residen Evil) in MKX.

Maverickneo said on July 12, 2014 at 8:04 p.m.

DC Characters that can make a "Guest" appearance are Villians. That will take care of fatality problems.

If Jason Voorhees is a guest character then I want Freddy back. That makes sense. Dont want either one in without the other. personally.

Demonix said on July 12, 2014 at 8:10 p.m.

Just gimme Liu Kang and Jade and I'm good. (even though Jade's dead... still not sure about Liu Kang.)

RoboBoomByYahh said on July 12, 2014 at 8:29 p.m.

Bring back Noob-Smoke!!! Noob Saibot Mode, Smoke Mode, Noob-Smoke Mode.

LightSpdAeon said on July 12, 2014 at 9:02 p.m.

Plz, just stop. there are only like, 5 or 6 returning chaaracters who aren't dead...

LightSpdAeon said on July 12, 2014 at 9:13 p.m.

Lol, funny idea.

LightSpdAeon said on July 12, 2014 at 9:13 p.m.

Kang was fried.

LightSpdAeon said on July 12, 2014 at 9:15 p.m.

She's dead, just saying.

TheTHCGamer said on July 12, 2014 at 9:41 p.m.

DLC already?

Orinon said on July 12, 2014 at 9:43 p.m.

Am I the only one who thinks the silhouette on the left looks like Dark Knight Rises Bane? Rofl, I know it will probably end up being 'relative of Baraka', but...

dugthefreshest said on July 12, 2014 at 11:49 p.m.

why not just release the game, with all the characters in it.....you know, maybe just make them unlockable.

" we will definitely be selling you 60% of the game."

htownboss23 said on July 13, 2014 at 12:01 a.m.

Wait for the complete edition

Dude130 said on July 13, 2014 at 12:39 a.m.

Capcom doesn't have time for that anyway because they still can't seem to figure out how to balance SF.

Put old school Child's Play Chucky in.

shumathorath said on July 13, 2014 at 7:23 a.m.

Max called it their pulling a third strike

LeonHartEX said on July 13, 2014 at 8:32 a.m.

I remember Todd McFarlane wanted Spawn to be in Injustice. I wonder if he would be interested in bringing Spawn in MKX.

It would work well I think...and he needs to be voiced by Keith David too! We'll see.

Dragonage2ftw said on July 13, 2014 at 9:01 a.m.

Ed Boon said that both Kitana and Kung Lao have a chance at being in this game.

Dragonage2ftw said on July 13, 2014 at 9:04 a.m.

They aren't selling you 60% of the game.

They are selling you 100% of the game with some great DLC on the way.

If you don't want to buy a bunch of DLC characters, than wait for the Komplete Edition.

They aren't Capcom.

GammaChemical said on July 13, 2014 at 9:08 a.m.

LOL at people mentioning capcom characters.

GreenDragon said on July 13, 2014 at 11:42 a.m.

DLC always causes butthurt...

TwoCoins said on July 13, 2014 at 2:40 p.m.

The guest character is Rorsharch

TagAnarchy said on July 13, 2014 at 4:09 p.m.

Sounds like melt blood and their "moon" system. I'm interested in this.

OnegaiShimasu said on July 13, 2014 at 4:13 p.m.

I really hope that it's Ash from Evil Dead that's the guest fighter for Mortal Kombat X. That would seriously be one of the best things ever!

The Variation Set would work realy well with him too.

- Chainsaw
- Sawed-Off Shotgun
- The Necrnomicon, or Chainsaw/Shotgun together
- Hand-to-Hand combat :P

theoutsider_nwo said on July 13, 2014 at 4:15 p.m.

Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell as a guest character? Sure looks like it....

KamfPudding said on July 13, 2014 at 11:14 p.m.

DLC mentioned before you even released the game?

Gaming industry nowadays..

Kawalorn said on July 14, 2014 at 12:41 a.m.

DLC? Not so bad.

LAUNCH DAY DLC? That would be a dick move.