Skullgirls Encore headed to PlayStation 4 and PS Vita - will include all DLC characters, stages, and more

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • July 10, 2014 at 2:28 p.m. PDT

Lab Zero CEO Peter Bartholow has announced this morning via the PlayStation Blog that Skullgirls Encore will be getting a PlayStation 4 and PS Vita release.

Both versions of the game will be complete, including all of the DLC characters, stages, and story funded by Lab Zero’s Indiegogo campaign. Additionally, we'll be seeing “All Play” multiplayer lobbies and an extensive art gallery, according to Bartholow.

Click image for larger version

More information will be divulged once the PS4 and PS Vita versions draw closer to launch. Be sure to hit the link below for concept sketches of the two upcoming Skullgirls Encore characters: Beowulf and Robo-Fortune.

Source: PlayStation Blog.

Comments

rikal1 said on July 10, 2014 at 2:30 p.m.

That's what's up but no love for xbox1?

Brisk said on July 10, 2014 at 2:33 p.m.

Mike Z hates the Xbox, so don't count on it.

MortonBaths said on July 10, 2014 at 2:34 p.m.

MikeZ finds it painful to dev for Microsoft, that is Microsoft is a pain in the ass…Any who this is great stuff!!!

Ninjagoon said on July 10, 2014 at 2:36 p.m.

I wonder if it'll be discounted for those that bought it on ps3. I'll just play it on there, I'm not that lazy to not get up and unplug my system and hook up another.

DJoe said on July 10, 2014 at 2:36 p.m.

When Elisa (or the next character) is going to be released?

JustSTFU said on July 10, 2014 at 2:39 p.m.

Ultra took up all my time even when I got this for free on PS+
Will most likely play it on the Vita though.

Blaken7 said on July 10, 2014 at 2:42 p.m.

If I remember correctly somewhere after EVO?
They did mention this in their anime expo conference :)

ZenGaijin said on July 10, 2014 at 2:43 p.m.

Eliza is pretty close to done, all her normals specials and blockbusters are in, her frames just need to be colored. So I would say maybe in early August but that is a date completely out of nowhere.

BigFleccs said on July 10, 2014 at 2:45 p.m.

Ps4 lol. I don't see why, it will still be the same dead boring game, that look good.

xblacc said on July 10, 2014 at 2:46 p.m.

people still play this game?

SnakeofNinjutsu said on July 10, 2014 at 2:49 p.m.

Been wanting a fighter to play on the PS4. Looking forward to this, Legend of Raven and Guilty Gear Xrd this year.

jme said on July 10, 2014 at 2:50 p.m.

The only, and I mean the ONLY thing killing this game is the absence of lobbies.

I believe that KOF13 would be more popular had it had lobbies(that and better netcode).

EDIT: Also will our ps3 sticks work for this or do we have to buy the new ps4 sticks?

Yung said on July 10, 2014 at 2:52 p.m.

That's enough reason for me to pick a PS4.

Brisk said on July 10, 2014 at 2:59 p.m.

You mean endless lobbies? It has those, hell it even has all-play lobbies like if you had multiple systems.

Zombie4u said on July 10, 2014 at 3 p.m.

Sweet! About time we got another fighter on PS4!!

Vlad7779311 said on July 10, 2014 at 3:05 p.m.

PC Version has lobbies. Apparently, the consoles will get lobbies when Eliza gets released.

hazelnut1112 said on July 10, 2014 at 3:07 p.m.

This so much, lobbies are a damn must have for this game.

Love how the winner of the side tournament will get a PS4 as the prize. Pretty awesome.

danistheman said on July 10, 2014 at 3:18 p.m.

Xbox getting shafted for fighters yet again.

Oddness said on July 10, 2014 at 3:23 p.m.

I would like a wii u version but oh well this is fine too. PC version still is the best.

Sanox said on July 10, 2014 at 3:24 p.m.

already own the ps3 and pc version

still day 1 on ps4

Saikyobbi said on July 10, 2014 at 3:27 p.m.

PC Version is a ton of fun, but I haven't been giving it much attention lately. I don't even know who that robotic-character is, I guess it was a new reveal after Beowulf.

1TheBlueWii1 said on July 10, 2014 at 3:29 p.m.

Sooo no plans for a Wii U release? Its funny that Mike's making a PS Vita version, but never had plans to make a Wii U version cause of "sales". :(
Wii U needs more fighting games.

srkiller001 said on July 10, 2014 at 3:40 p.m.

Mike z said she should be coming shortly after evo at the panel at anime expo.

anthonygamer said on July 10, 2014 at 3:45 p.m.

What 3rd party developers has plans for a Wii U release for ANY genre? None. lmao

Just get smash brothers.

mrambitious said on July 10, 2014 at 3:52 p.m.

AMAZING. THANK YOU MIKE Z!

UMVC3, DOA5, PSASBR, SFXT, TEKKEN 6, DIVE KICK, GGXXAC+R, MK9, INJUSTICE, SFA3, and now SKULLGIRLS! Vita easily has been my most used system since I bought it, but it still is missing a sf4 port which is upetting... Capcom.... Vita USF4 please?

HooliganComboFTW said on July 10, 2014 at 4:02 p.m.

Yes this pleases me. Vita getting much love for fighters.

Books said on July 10, 2014 at 4:04 p.m.

This is awesome! Skullgirls is a perfect addition to my Vita. Great move by these guys.

LeonX said on July 10, 2014 at 4:06 p.m.

Starting to respect Mike Z...

CrimzonWolf777 said on July 10, 2014 at 4:15 p.m.

I suddenly want a PS4

Jason said on July 10, 2014 at 4:21 p.m.

$5000 prize pool bonus AND TWO PS4s?

Skullgirls has a better payout than some of the main Evo games.

KrazeHonkey said on July 10, 2014 at 4:26 p.m.

Whelp, looks like I'm going with PS4 for this next generation.

shumathorath said on July 10, 2014 at 5:09 p.m.

the character is robo misfortune, if im not mistaken shes just a robot misfortune for now

LordProsper said on July 10, 2014 at 5:23 p.m.

It's Robo-Fortune. She uses Ms. Fortune as a base, but is going to play completely differently. Like Ky and Robo-Ky.

Galletano said on July 10, 2014 at 5:34 p.m.

Sony should make LZ one of their studios, skullgirls would make a great fighter exclusive for the system it just need the support from a big company like sony to add more content (like characters and modes) and to put it on the map.

The game already has a fan base( and the majority of that fanbase is in the ps systems) so it's a good idea right?

Redblaze27 said on July 10, 2014 at 5:51 p.m.

Microsoft has been anything but helpful with the Xbox 360 version of the game, its not wonder that and the initial Xbox One policies would scare Lab Zero away from a Xbox One version, at least for now.

Redblaze27 said on July 10, 2014 at 5:53 p.m.

No, there is a big player-base on PC.
I wouldn't mind them stiking some sort of deal with Sony for Console & Portable versions though.

xShonuffx said on July 10, 2014 at 5:55 p.m.

Your still using played out memes?

DunnDeal said on July 10, 2014 at 5:59 p.m.

Sigh no Xbox One ver. Why am I not surprised?

FightDirty said on July 10, 2014 at 6:14 p.m.

Keep it up with Skullgirls! I'm glad they are continuing to add to this game. Personally prefer the 3D models used in many games, but I have to say the artwork in SG and KOFXIII looks awesome.

This new Eliza characters looks pretty cool. Think I may pick her up when she's released.

swordsman09 said on July 10, 2014 at 6:17 p.m.

Please tell me us who already bought it will get it for free. I don't wanna spend another 15 bucks to upgrade to PS4.

I actually really don't mind. It would be nice though.

Brisk said on July 10, 2014 at 6:34 p.m.

Blame M$ for being completely dumb to LZ for wanting to update the game frequently.

Redblaze27 said on July 10, 2014 at 7:04 p.m.

I doubt it, the IGG 5 are included in the base game on PS4.

MarthFE said on July 10, 2014 at 7:20 p.m.

I've had ps4 since launch... It's still in the box, time to dust it off I guess.

Oddness said on July 10, 2014 at 7:22 p.m.

Yeah because taht worked so well with sony smash...

GiganV3 said on July 10, 2014 at 7:49 p.m.

They should announce it for Wii U as well.

Galletano said on July 10, 2014 at 8:25 p.m.

The "sony smash" actually sold very well, people weren't interested enough to keep playing the game. Skullgirls is very interesting and fun, it does keep people interested. playstation and xbox I'll be services for PC and other devices eventually anyways.

Taizuku said on July 10, 2014 at 9:28 p.m.

Sony seems to care about Skullgirls alot. They've done a lot of special things for it posting it so often, the custom messages when encore comes out. Putting it on PS+. All the videos on the Sony channel, they seem to want to make Skullgirls a new Sony thing in the future.

courte said on July 10, 2014 at 9:49 p.m.

i've got it on pc and ps3. most of the dlc has been free. i contributed to the indiegogo.

but i'm down for it all again. if it's not cross buy, i'll just tell myself the money is going into making even more characters from the campaign. maybe years from now they'll get enough to make juju a reality, but i feel EX characters are more likely at this point

BigFleccs said on July 10, 2014 at 9:50 p.m.

Lineal Richie music old n lame, plus no one online playing. It was too boring to even unlock the characters.

FightDirty said on July 10, 2014 at 10:29 p.m.

Yeh, my brother's wife bought him a PS4 for his birthday last year and it's still boxed up in a corner also. Seriously, are there even any games for the PS4?

KamfPudding said on July 10, 2014 at 11:21 p.m.

Mike Z. Skullgirls on Xbox One. Do it for us Skullgirls fans!

Prototype said on July 10, 2014 at 11:39 p.m.

What do you mean? you know there are lobbies available right?

BigFleccs said on July 10, 2014 at 11:57 p.m.

No games for PS4? Retards there are games, no fighting games though. I love COD Ghost.

old_school_rival said on July 11, 2014 at 12:07 a.m.

USF4 on the vita would be great, it's the only significant release missing. I'll pick up Skull Girls when it comes out I've been waiting to try it for a long time.

ZDH513 said on July 11, 2014 at 12:39 a.m.

If COD ghost is your go to for an argument on PS4 games then that just shows how bad the library is right now. I mean COD isn't even a console exclusive you could have gotten that for the XB1 so thats not a reason to get the PS4 over the XB1 or to get a PS4 in general.

Kawalorn said on July 11, 2014 at 2 a.m.

Also if you guys wanna know, if you register yourself for the EVO side-tournament and you don't have the game you'll get a free Steam code. :D The Skullgirls community founded them themnselves. There's around 60 of them.

jelaninoel said on July 11, 2014 at 3:43 a.m.

This is so great! I think deep fighters on a handheld is a dumb idea buy this game looks so beautiful with its vibrant colors i took to the Skullgirls twitter page to ask if it was ever comibg to Vita. Def copping this one

jelaninoel said on July 11, 2014 at 3:51 a.m.

Xbox is for shooters. Playstation is for fighters. Always has been, always will be.i wouldn't look to Xbox for any fighting game support honestly

Oddness said on July 11, 2014 at 6:07 a.m.

Hate to break it to you buddy but the games thats ell well on sony and ms consoles are almost the same. During 6th gen there was still some viarity but since 7th gen you get pretty much the same experience no matter if playstation or xbox, well except for xbox having good online which is why all pros play on xboxlive when online.

DunnDeal said on July 11, 2014 at 6:12 a.m.

Playstation is for Japanese JRPGs

mrambitious said on July 11, 2014 at 8:56 a.m.

Seriously the PSN has been putting all sorts of irrelevant poverty fighters up for vita / ps3 and every big name fighter except for SF4 and P4A... what gives Capcom...

JumpMan33 said on July 11, 2014 at 10:06 a.m.

This was kind of hinted at a while back. If I remember right, Lab Zero was one of the developers listed making games for the PS4 back when the console was announced :)

DestinyZX1 said on July 11, 2014 at 10:14 a.m.

I am looking forward to this along with Eliza. :D

drillbit777 said on July 11, 2014 at 11:33 a.m.

Wii U needs more fighters aside from Smash Bros and Tekken Tag 2....
Come on Mike Z give the console a chance.

bugonisx2 said on July 11, 2014 at 3:36 p.m.

The IGG 5...I like the sound of that :)

bugonisx2 said on July 11, 2014 at 3:42 p.m.

User base is definitely an issue, but I also wonder if it is a technical issue. Mike Z had to pull off some dark magic to be able to fit those sprites on the PS3 and 360, so I don't know what they'd have to do to make everything fit on the Wii U.

Marthmario said on July 12, 2014 at 7:53 a.m.

To be honest... Skullgirls would fit in with Nintendo quite well, a Wii U version would sell like hotcakes. A lot of Indie Devs release on Wii U and they do super well.

Jason said on July 16, 2014 at 12:41 p.m.

The WiiU has 2 GB of RAM

The 360 and PS3 have 512 MB of RAM. The WiiU would be easier, no contest.

colty34 said on July 24, 2014 at 9:26 p.m.

I look forward this game :)