King of Fighters 12 & 13 producer Masaaki Kukino is back at SNK Playmore after leaving in 2010; is the next KOF game currently in development?

Posted by Cheng Kai 'KarbyP' Sim • July 5, 2014 at 3:27 p.m. PDT

Has SNK Playmore already started development work on the next King of Fighters fighting game? They may very well have.

Do we know for sure? Of course we don't. SNK Playmore hasn't announced anything of the sort yet. They've never even as much as dropped a hint.

But what if we told you that Masaaki Kukino, the producer for King of Fighters 12 and 13 who left SNK Playmore in November 2010 shortly after KOF13 arcade was released and just prior to the console versions coming out in Japan, is now back at SNK Playmore?

Or that, he's actually been back at SNK Playmore ever since November 2013 -- a whopping seven months?

That's exactly what Evil_Yagami on the Cybernetix forums (via KOFKoucha) discovered this week on Masaaki Kukino's Facebook page. After leaving SNK Playmore, Kukino went to work for Chinese games developer WahLap Technology Software before leaving them in May 2013 to work for himself, as a freelance games designer from July to November 2013.

And then he went back to SNK Playmore in November 2013. What do you suppose he has been working on these past seven months?

This discovery comes after after the recent news that SNK Playmore has registered a trademark for a "KOF" video game.

During CEO, Andres Velasco y Coll, one of the commentators for KOF13 and the voice actor for Dive in Dive Kick, mentioned on stream (via KOFKoucha) that he's heard some things about a KOF14 being in development:

"I’m waiting for KOFXIV. I’ve heard some things. I can’t tell you how I’ve heard some things, but I’ve heard some things. I know it’s happening, I just don’t know when. It needs to happen soon man, we need another KOF for next year. We’ve been on 3 years on the same stuff and while it’s been great, we’ve got to mix it up a little bit, you know. I have nothing against this game. But I feel that people, they’re just clamoring for a new one, you know."

What do you think, EventHubs? Could we be hearing more about the next King of Fighters fighting game very soon?

Source: Cybernetix forums (via KOFKoucha). Image credit: SNK Playmore.

Comments

NoizyChild said on July 5, 2014 at 3:38 p.m.

All of that hype will be for nothing if SNK doesn't finally learn to produce some netcode worth a damn.

rsx2009 said on July 5, 2014 at 3:40 p.m.

The KIIIIING of fighter will coming back soon, we need a need KoF. My favorite FG ever and with a online that work please that or Capcom vs SNK3

GiBGUN said on July 5, 2014 at 3:49 p.m.

LeonX said on July 5, 2014 at 3:52 p.m.

Is a good time to work with GGPO right?

wallie said on July 5, 2014 at 3:54 p.m.

KOF 14 wishlist.

1. Make the netcode a top priority

2. Make this KOF a dream matchup.

3. Make the execution seem easier. I say this because I believe this is the Number 1 reason more poeple dont give this game a shot, and if easier execution what brings in more people then I am all for it.

4. Don't try to turn the game into SF4

EternalDragon said on July 5, 2014 at 3:54 p.m.

I dont think 3 years is a long time, its better then capcom and tecmo constant updates it shows the strength of the game to have a great following for 3 years, id wait another year or 2 for 14

SeriphAngel said on July 5, 2014 at 4:08 p.m.

I hope it is coming back. I miss the good quality of a 2d game and all of its skill it took to play. KoF do not change your formula....just change your netcode.

theshredder39 said on July 5, 2014 at 4:12 p.m.

I find it funny that more people are likely to ask Capcom for a Capcom vs. SNK 3 instead of SNK even though Capcom is supposedly the most hate company on this site...Wait a minute I want a legit explanation for that, if a lot of you guys hate Capcom so much why do you keep asking them for stuff? That's like asking your ex gf/bf for sex after you just broke up with them two days ago.

ThaBigDaddyCMaster said on July 5, 2014 at 4:13 p.m.

You console guys have to try the PC version as the netcode is significantly improved. Hopefully the new game will follow suit and stay solid or get even better.

kabal31082 said on July 5, 2014 at 4:15 p.m.

I never played KoF (despite owning them), but more fighting game is always a good thing.

LeonX said on July 5, 2014 at 4:16 p.m.

Actually I like Capcom because of old franchises and I hate them to not get advantage of the old franchises and create an sequel or remaster/remake like Megaman Maverick Hunter X

It's all about Love and Hate :P

rikal1 said on July 5, 2014 at 4:17 p.m.

Come on Vanessa we need you!!!

NoizyChild said on July 5, 2014 at 4:18 p.m.

People "hate" Capcom because their games are the most popular and the most played. They also "hate" them because they expect Capcom to give them everything (read: DLC) on a silver platter, while other companies that do the same stuff get passes because "They're not as popular" or, my favorite, "They need the money".

That's why you always see people wishing bad fortune on Capcom, or erroneously spouting nonsense like they're going broke, when the opposite is true: Because they feel that "their" games will actually be played if Capcom were to somehow go under.

(Now let's wait for the inevitable "Capcop" or "Capcom Shill/Drone" comments to come my way.)

ZenTzen said on July 5, 2014 at 4:19 p.m.

how about doing something different SNK, its time for another Fatal Fury game.
- Garou Mark of the Wolves 2 needs to happen
- A new The Last Blade game
- Samurai freaking shodown

Dont be just the freaking KOF machine, and this time get into your heads that great netcode is essential for any fighting game in this day and age

SeriphAngel said on July 5, 2014 at 4:20 p.m.

Best explanation. Most of them know if the game was made by SNK it would be far more difficult and input heavy. SNK is not known for dying a games learning curve down just because players do not want to put in the effort to learn how to actually play unlike Capcom who may not make games as skill heavy but are more accessible to the whiners and complainers of the new gaming generation.

Harsh but true they would rather see an easier version of CvS than one that would be made well but with added difficulty to learn properly. And Capcom is known for having better netcodes....

HmpLghtng said on July 5, 2014 at 4:27 p.m.

I just hope they stick to sprites and not 3d models.

Yung said on July 5, 2014 at 4:30 p.m.

I'm looking forward to a new KoF game more than anything because the Ash Saga (which was pretty s***ty) has ended, which means this will be a new point in the history, which also means ... that's right, A NEW MAIN CHARACTER !

Or they can just go with a dream match game, which honestly, I wouldn't mind either.

ZenTzen said on July 5, 2014 at 4:30 p.m.

if they did something like guilty gear i wouldnt see a problem

theshredder39 said on July 5, 2014 at 4:30 p.m.

I see what you're getting at, I still have a lot of respect for Capcom because I love the stuff they put out in the past and even now (Strider was awesome in my opinion.) I'll admit I don't quite agree with some of their decisions though but I'm not gonna let that blind me from how much I love the games they make when they really put the effort into them and I know they can pick it back up at some point, granted Strider was made by Double Helix and in general they've had other third parties working on their IPs but in the end they're still mostly Capcom products.

NoizyChild said on July 5, 2014 at 4:31 p.m.

Added difficulty does not make a game better. It just makes you feel better about losing.

A game isn't "dumbed down" just because more people can beat you at it. It just means that more people are better than you.

htownboss23 said on July 5, 2014 at 4:33 p.m.

I smell a capcom vs snk 3 down the line make no mistake about it

courte said on July 5, 2014 at 4:35 p.m.

Zentzen you win

Any of those for real are top of the list. By a wide margin

the only other thing I can think of is the true kof dream match featuring only featuring ORIGINAL characters cut from kof over the years that were not in a previous game. XOXO Angel, Vanessa, Heavy D

YorKeY said on July 5, 2014 at 4:39 p.m.

All of you need to bombard the SNKP email with request for a good net code, and possibly working with GGPO. Save us from Capcom, even dumb the game down to make it easier for Capcom lenient scrubs if you have to. <3 This is our chance. Talk about it on streams, just spread it, just like how people like to spread and over exaggerate " so and so is top tier."

courte said on July 5, 2014 at 4:47 p.m.

Meanwhile people still ask for a new ds knowing how brutal the game to play. That game is metal as f#ck. But I'll tell you why i'd rather play/ask for cvs3 before a new svc bigger roster. Capcom has more money in the bank to actually make it.. <3 Grooves. Comparatively one game has always offered more. Knock some of their decisions but capcom has put out technically more new fighters and slightly less fighting franchise based games in the past few years thank snk. Skystage, kof in moba, the recent rhythm game.

And we tell them what to do because we like what they do best when they do it best and we want them to stick around to keep doing it. I understand wanting to innovate when you make a new game but what part of that means also leaving money on the table? "oh how can we make money?"
'well sir there are millions of fans of out old school games who want mew iterations...'
"better put a card battle game on mobile"

This past year alone they said their new years resolution was to actually listen to the customers.

And I don't care about netcode unless its on pc

caruga said on July 5, 2014 at 4:47 p.m.

You're mixing things together.

A barrier of entry is not a 'learning curve'-- it's a sheer wall. I don't know when having a high barrier of entry added value to a game. A high skill ceiling is fine, that is called depth; a high entry barrier is not, that is elitism.

There comes a point where you make something so difficult that some people cannot do it even when they try. for some people, doing a KOF bread and butter is like what doing a Desk combo is for 90% of people. It's not that they're not trying, it's that they can't. Did you ever think of that? No, they're all just whiners apparently.

I spent 20 minutes set aside a day for 4 weeks to master Elizabeth's command dash into command grab. Maybe someone else would have accomplished it quicker, but I consider myself untalented execution-wise. I don't see what making it take that long added to my life or to my enjoyment of the game. I'm not planning on joining a circus, I just want to outsmart my opponent.

CAPCOM are a terrible example of improving accessibility, because they haven't. You still have to put the work in once your mashed inputs stop working. In fact without plinking, SF4 is in some ways harder than KOF (I'd say KOF takes longer to master a sequence, but you're less likely to drop it after you master it).

ThaBigDaddyCMaster said on July 5, 2014 at 4:48 p.m.

People also play SF games because they're SF. It's the largest reason they're played. They're already known and have a big fanbase.

For instance, people making netcode comments haven't acknowledged that Kof Steam edition has tremendously improved netcode and still complain about it, while USF4 netcode is actually really bad (worse than before along with Steam integrated AE) and people still play the game regardless.

As far as DLC goes, people choose to do that, and should vote with their feet if they don't like what Capcom does. I definitely don't think their games are better than they were in the past during their SF3, SFA3, MvC2, CvS2, SF2 years. The people who complain are probably just frustrated about it but don't hate it enough to give up altogether, or the game has enough of a scene that they play it anyways.

Some things to consider.

ThaBigDaddyCMaster said on July 5, 2014 at 4:52 p.m.

I don't think a bnb is like doing a desk movement at all in XIII. BNB's are generally simple once your timing is down, there are no links and only chains. HD combos take more practice though but as you said stick with you since it's not artificial "one frame" type difficulty.

Making something accessible should be like a tutorial or something that explains mechanics, rather than dumbing down the game and making it less honest. That's the problem with a lot of games now. They haven't made it so people actually understand and just want to make gimmicks/comeback mechanics.

I hope the next Kof doesn't do that. If they want to improve on tutorial mode, that's fine. But don't make it so people don't have to learn/practice the game so they can beat players better than them. It's bad design. It's better to learn the neutral game first than doing flashy combos anyways. Just learn something simple and it will come over time.

SeriphAngel said on July 5, 2014 at 4:56 p.m.

Think about it this way. While DS is asked for(even by me) the series is far less popular. Capcom may have been making more games but they are not the games people have been requesting. They have been slightly hded versions of games of already released games.

The producer of SNK was originally going to step away from fighters completely which is why there was every other style of game over them. Also consider the time it took to make KoF 13. Each character took months to be hand drawn and then animated. Everything was done by hand which takes twice as long as 3d rendering.

To say Capcom listened can be pushing it a bit. People did not want another SFIV they wanted another SF. People did not want Hugo Elena Rolento or even cared for Decapre they wanted Alex Karin R.Mika, etc.

Capcom is more popular due to game loyalty more so than to what they produce. People will not even try other games but that is an entirely different discussion lol.

arcadifvid said on July 5, 2014 at 4:58 p.m.

so he's been around for some time already? announce it at EVO. release it before the year ends. its still KOF's 20th anniversary. also 14 = 2014, even though they have strayed from the yearly style title

caruga said on July 5, 2014 at 5:06 p.m.

That's why I said it's to mistake to invoke CAPCOM as an example of broadening the appeal of a game and making it more accessible. They went for the lowest common denominator, short-term solution, but once work-shy players realise there is actually work to be put in to get to the next level, they'll go and do other things.

I don't think KOF difficulty is comparable to what Desk does, that's not my point. Some people struggle with execution more than others. Some people tolerate grinding effort more than others. Some people would like to play fighting games, but can't afford the time to reach a point where they'd actually be considered to be playing them properly.

I've said before that people in the FGC are the wrong people to listen to for the most part in improving the popularity of fighting games. For one reason or another, they're the people who stuck in there: the people who weren't turned off by the effort. That means they don't represent any of the people who have been.

I think people don't realise when they are talented. if you're in the 90 percentile dexterity-wise, you don't always know that, you assume it's like that for everyone else and you assume they're 'not trying' if someone else isn't accomplishing it and bitches about it. Same for any other skill. Don't you suppose dexterous people are represented more in the fgc than the general population? I don't actually know that, but it would be interesting to find out.

What I don't find offensive is the idea of allowing people with a greater diversity of talents and potential to wander their way into the fgc, due to some of the rigid entry-barriers being lowered. Because that doesn't represent taking away the depth or longevity of a game, that's an entirely separate issue. Maybe the people who do feel threatened by it are those who, if the games suddenly valued other skill-sets, would find themselves moving down the food-chain?

sabata84 said on July 5, 2014 at 5:07 p.m.

KOF is a really awesome and challenging game. I think its about time to see a new title and new challengers appear in the series

rocorolly said on July 5, 2014 at 5:13 p.m.

"is the next KOF game currently in development?"

Maybe eventhubs, maybe.

I find it funny the flow of things now regarding sprites.

Comment A: I wish they don't use 3D and stick to sprites.

Comment B: If they do it like Guilty Gear you'll change your mind.

Maybe there is a new paradigm.

@NoizyChild: I agree that, that could be the case at times regarding Capcom's received hatred, but sometimes the Capcom hate is genuine. Some people I know are NRS or Namco fanboys to the end, they're that way when Capcom is up, down popular or not. Some people I know legit hate playing SF4 or Marvel. Heck SF fans hate other SFs. A lot of the ST fans hate SF3, SF3 hates SF4 Alpha 2 even, hates Alpha 3 etc, etc that's just SF.

I personally love Capcom, I mean Strider, MM, SF, RE, BoF, Oni, Okami, VJ, DmC man the list goes on and on. I never understood why people "wished" for Capcom to go under or what have you. If you're gonna "wish", might as well wish for something positive, like reform, or whatever you'd like to see done positively.

Sage_Liebert said on July 5, 2014 at 5:22 p.m.

I would rather have a new 2D Samurai Shodown with 3D character models. Add combos, so the game won't be all pokes/slashes.

BlackOnyxThunder said on July 5, 2014 at 5:23 p.m.

A new KOF! I hope so.

SeriphAngel said on July 5, 2014 at 5:27 p.m.

That is the thing the entrance level to KoF if you think about it is actually easier than SF but to learn the game takes twice the work. KoF offers tools to make up for what characters normally may lack such as a good projectile punish or ways out of a corner.

KoF bread and butters are not that difficult. What makes them difficult is that there are no short cuts to doing them. You have to do the inputs correctly or you are not given the rewards. That is the deciding factor in that. A BnB based on mashing to a BnB based on button control. So yes of course many of them would feel KoF's are far more complex. People think fancy things are bread and butters but things that are effective and common are.

I understand not everyone will excel in commands so do not go and try and make it seem like you know what I am thinking by say, "No, they're all just whiners". Next time just ask the question instead of making an assumption please.

While you put in the work most do not. They would rather not try and consider themselves good, blame everyone else for why they lost, and never admit to their own wrong doings. That is what I mean about the whiners.

rocorolly said on July 5, 2014 at 5:36 p.m.

Actually before their announcement in xTekken, I saw a bunch of requests around the net for (in no particular order) Hugo, Elena, Rolento as well as Poison, Sean, Karin, Alex, Ingrid and oddly enough Skullomania.

caruga said on July 5, 2014 at 5:40 p.m.

Okay, I take back that assumption, but you were mentioning whiners in defense of keeping KOF the way it's always been. I think that is myopic and a way to shoot themselves in the foot once again if they go that route.

I don't think execution barriers add value to a game, only executional depth. That's the distinction i'm trying to highlight. If fighting games had a 'pick up and play' quality to them it wouldn't necessarily be just to appease those who never try and deflect blame for their failures, nor would it necessarily destroy the game's depth and longevity.

Abbadon36 said on July 5, 2014 at 5:44 p.m.

That would be cool as long as the net code isn't the same net code that they have used two games in a row that was garbage. Really like XIII but was unplayable online.

cab1020 said on July 5, 2014 at 5:48 p.m.

Please let Yamazaki, Geese, and either Chizuru or Gato (or both!!) be in KOF 14.

ZenTzen said on July 5, 2014 at 5:48 p.m.

I cant stress this enough they should forget KOF for a couple of years and focus on their other FG IPs.

GAROU, LB, SS

they should make sequels to these first, even their non FG related IPs are all but abandoned and thats a darn shame

genocide_cutter said on July 5, 2014 at 5:55 p.m.

We need SNK back

TheTTimeLives said on July 5, 2014 at 5:55 p.m.

Yea the execution is one reason why but the biggest reason is probably the lack of many manly characters. I bought KOF 13 because I bought the game because I saw how fun it looked at majors (and I think it's really fun to play) but was turned off that I had to choose between little girls, trannys, or very feminine men for most of the cast. Even Ralph and Clark look like army men from gay porn.

That said, Shen is awesome and I like to play Vice as well.

COREY_1993 said on July 5, 2014 at 5:55 p.m.

youre all gonna hate me for saying this but i hope they make the inputs simpler. they are just too much for someone like me that isnt a pro. but more importantly just make the online work... as long as thats fine i would probably buy this

ThaBigDaddyCMaster said on July 5, 2014 at 5:56 p.m.

Well there are two things. Do you want a game that's popular or a game that's good?

I'm sure we'd all love a good and popular game. But I don't want to play a badly made popular game. Too many industries are already dumbing down for the general audience. Combos are far from the only part of fighting games and you can always do easier combos, but there's no need to hurt better players who will bring the game to the next level.

I'm all for a game being accessible and removing fake difficulty. Which is why these games need tutorials, not sloppy made mechanics. This is better in the long run for both camps.

maxi2099 said on July 5, 2014 at 6:09 p.m.

I want a new Samurai Shodown that plays like, you know, Samurai Shodown, and not Soul Calibur...
The FGs are falling on the same problem with other genres. The companies only makes the same franchises all over again, with fear that other titles will not sell.

DiegoBrando said on July 5, 2014 at 6:11 p.m.

That's cool and all. But I really wish SNK would just make a new Samurai Shodown already!

rlt4life said on July 5, 2014 at 6:25 p.m.

As great as Garou and SamSho are, I would be shocked if they brought either of them back. KOF is one of their most recognized franchises and is still somewhat obscure to the average gamer.Garou and SamSho are even more so, and can be even more difficult to get into.

I'd rather they go for sure things for a while because they still aren't exactly financially sound.

Raiden8 said on July 5, 2014 at 6:38 p.m.

Good thing the KOF community is ok without communication with SNK. Woukd be nice if they decided to speak out a bit more.

Memanruler said on July 5, 2014 at 6:58 p.m.

KOF 14 True Wishlist

- Ash

- Ash

- Ash

- Clone of Ash with Ash's movelist

TheCheeze09 said on July 5, 2014 at 7:08 p.m.

The online for KOF 13 is still as crappy as KOF 12. They have made no improvement whatsoever. No one plays it online. While they have made some improvements offline when it comes to content, the online needs serious tweaking. No one cares about the game right now...

courte said on July 5, 2014 at 7:57 p.m.

I think I may have not gotten my point across, because you've restated it. Everyone at this point knows that fighting games a expensive and time consuming to make for the content, character animation being the chief reason. We all know post Skullgirls info drops that 2d is painstaking and kof was such a labor of love that we are all grateful for, even if slot of it was slightly altered from kof xii.

I'm not saying entirely that capcom listened, simply that their resolution was to listen, which with most Japanese game revs, it seems these days, is easier said than done when you take into account the shift in momentum to mobile gaming.

Shareholder voices for fair reason are carrying as much weight as the fans, even though those shareholders don't give a dam about or bothering analyzing what is being produced. There was recently a report of a Nintendo shareholder who hates games, was just mad at everything and was upset Iwata hasn't resigned because the company is doing badly, despite wrecking the competition with the 3ds alone... although losing to smartphones.

Capcom game loyalty is tied to their production i.e. what they CAN produce. On some level I wish they adopted more of s one and done stance some of their games had back in the day and moved onto the next one. It seems a better alternative then people whining and one game getting patched tweaked and rereleased on a near yearly basis.

I was telling a friend the other day that I don't know how/if they'll handle a next street fighter. It was madness for them to use the same style as sfiv in sfxt even though I understand why. But to use that many characters in sfiv? They've hit up almost every previous game. The only way it would feel fresh is if they used every street fighter character that they haven't used so far in sf5 and that's what... 20? Slightly more than 30 if they can get their hands on sfex...

courte said on July 5, 2014 at 8:04 p.m.

Wait there are no links in kof...? For realms? I know there are chains but no links? Am I just that butt, cuz yes I love it... I love all fighters, I have difficulty with the game cometimes...

NoizyChild said on July 5, 2014 at 8:04 p.m.

You also have to keep in mind that a lot of people don't have PCs with the necessary tech specs to even run KOF on Steam, hence people talking about the console netcode, since it's a hell of a lot easier to just run out and buy a game for a console than it is to upgrade your PC to where it can run certain games.

ArcadeRobot said on July 5, 2014 at 8:08 p.m.

KoFXIV for PS4 (yes pls) ^_^

NoizyChild said on July 5, 2014 at 8:27 p.m.

Also, can we get some Rick Strowd love up in here?

Xykes said on July 5, 2014 at 8:27 p.m.

Is this a troll post?

1. Most of the female characters in KOF13 game are adults.

2. There are zero transgendered or transvestite characters in the game that I'm aware of. King's secret was revealed decades ago.

3. No one will ever describe Terry Bogard, Joe Higashi, Goro Daimon, Kim Kaphwan, Hwa Jai, Raiden, Chin, Ryo, Robert, Takuma, Maxima, or Billy Kane as being "feminine".

You make it sound like you never even made it to the character select screen.

lmarshalljr04 said on July 5, 2014 at 8:34 p.m.

"People hate capcom because their games are the most popular and most played"

Maybe most people hate Capcom because they became a shell of themselves.. Their games are either disappointing(Resident Evil 5 and 6, Lost Planet 2 and 3, DmC), neglected (Mega Man),or made over and over again with different editions(SF4)

"They also "hate" them because they expect Capcom to give them everything They also "hate" them because they expect Capcom to give them everything (read: DLC) on a silver platter, while other companies that do the same stuff get passes because "They're not as popular" or, my favorite, "They need the money".

They are good DLCs and bad DLCs: By far, Capcom are the worst when it comes to bad DLCs (Street Fighter x Tekken characters already on the disc and broken gems. Ashua Wrath's final chapter, RE6, and Dead Rising)

No one wants Capcom to go out of business but they had it coming.. No one to blame but capcom..

MatheViB said on July 5, 2014 at 8:39 p.m.

So if they are going on how every KoF is after finishing an saga this might be a dream match one, that will be so hyped, huge KoF fan here, been playing since 94' :)

ThaBigDaddyCMaster said on July 5, 2014 at 8:59 p.m.

You can run a 2d fighter off of an ancient toaster. It doesn't take much to run and it is on sale cheaply. Especially with the increase in price, PC gaming is just much more affordable. People are spending 500+ on a console nowadays. Either way people play SF4 on Steam and that's now bad so give Kof a shot (which runs a lot easier too).

Kuroneko said on July 5, 2014 at 9:09 p.m.

datsundacar said on July 5, 2014 at 9:22 p.m.

SNK Absolutely needs to make this game easier for newcomers.

No one plays Tekken because they see the moves list and see 120 entries per player.

No one plays KOF because of the absurd execution requirements.

They really need to take a look at why SF4 and LoL succeeded. If you're unwilling to bring fresh blood into the community then it's just going to die out eventually. The veterans keep the community alive long after the game's release but it's the new players who bring in the money for sequels.

ThaBigDaddyCMaster said on July 5, 2014 at 9:27 p.m.

Other 3d fighters have long move lists as well.

People don't play Kof because it doesn't have the brand loyalty behind it or the marketed appeal of Capcom fighters, much like VF. Most players haven't even tried it so they wouldn't know of the execution requirements which aren't even insane. You can get by with simple combos and no 1f links unlike in SF4.

People will buy SF no matter what product they produce. I think that's pretty clear. They could make 50 Street Fighter 4's with worse netcode and people would still buy it.

Kuroneko said on July 5, 2014 at 9:52 p.m.

jme said on July 5, 2014 at 10:13 p.m.

KOF14 or Cvs3

datsundacar said on July 5, 2014 at 10:40 p.m.

How about you can keep your identity as well as your game?

Watching KOF and anime players cry about their dead series is always good for a laugh.

Keep blaming Capcom, losers.

BK said on July 5, 2014 at 10:44 p.m.

I just want to see Rock Howard back. Was my all time fave on CvS2.

Dude130 said on July 5, 2014 at 10:50 p.m.

AWESOME!

AugustAPC said on July 5, 2014 at 11:32 p.m.

I love KoF and would love to see it return.
There's little chance that we will see sprites as the artistic medium for this game. I hope, if they do go down the 3D modeling route (which they will), they take a note from Guilty Gear XRD. That game is as close to mimicking the beauty of sprite art with 2D modeling that I've ever seen.
I actually would love to see a style akin to that of the art in the banner for this article.

Oh yea, and don't f*ck up the damn netcode. AND HAVE LOBBIES!

rocorolly said on July 5, 2014 at 11:40 p.m.

That is a lie. First off KOFXIII being 2D has nothing to do with it, it still utilizes dynamic 3D components, much like BB, and Persona. Two, even outside of that it's native resolution was I believe built for HD, and it's resolution is automated to accommodate your rig, and CAN NOT BE ADJUSTED-(you hear that SNKP).

My PC can easily run SxT and SSF4, because I adjusted the resolution, not KOFXIII though. Quite with this anything sprite/2D is garbage tier in terms of computer resource consumption hyperbole, without knowing anything about the technicalities. It's an ignorant look.

JIHADJOE said on July 5, 2014 at 11:50 p.m.

This!

Rock was super cool, especially the way he had some of both Geese and Terry's best moves.

ShinzoBishamon said on July 5, 2014 at 11:50 p.m.

I've never heard KOF players cry about the dead scene, so I know your just a capcom fanboy making things up

aoi said on July 5, 2014 at 11:51 p.m.

lol @ you capcom hating scrubs. you think you could do better in snk games? no you wont.

btw fun fact, many sf4 devs were ex-snk emloyees ^_^

JIHADJOE said on July 5, 2014 at 11:52 p.m.

Also kinda miss KoF XIII arcade edition. Those 1.0 Raiden charge combos were awesome.

ShinzoBishamon said on July 6, 2014 at 12:19 a.m.

Matches with Raiden were always the funniest to watch

rocorolly said on July 6, 2014 at 12:31 a.m.

"btw fun fact, many sf4 devs were ex-snk emloyees ^_^"

I don't know about that, but actually I think it was the other way around. I think a bunch of people left Capcom and joined SNK, than many left both, and some from Capcom formed and joined Dimps. Then you know the rest, Dimps developed SF4. Either way, in my personal opinion SNK is the best fighting game developer overall.

Iphantom said on July 6, 2014 at 1:22 a.m.

Don't toy with my emotions SNK..

I hope a sequel to KOF 13 comes out soon. It was one of the best fighting games this generation.

David_Navarro said on July 6, 2014 at 1:34 a.m.

if not the best......

such a great game ^_^

Yisandra said on July 6, 2014 at 1:57 a.m.

Kof really isn't hard on execution for the most part, the only difficulty is hit confirming depending on your ressources.
Some hd combos can be tricky, but just doing one hd cancel into neomax does over 500 damage for everyone which is good enough for the beginning.

SF4 people might find it really hard because they can't do a DP motion (I had the same problem when I got into kof13/3s)

And as a PC player, kof netcode >> sf4 netcode

RandomSelectMaster said on July 6, 2014 at 3:25 a.m.

Please do! Also, make sure Iori gets his powers back in the next installment.

ThaBigDaddyCMaster said on July 6, 2014 at 4:11 a.m.

It does have a lot to do with it because it takes a lot less to render. I takes about the same resources as me running CvS2 on my PCSX2 system, if not less. Skullgirls is light on the system too. If you think it's harder to run than SF4 and SxT you're either lying, or you're a fanboy making things up. It's much lighter on the machine, and when I'm running my Sager gaming laptop it consumes far less battery than SF4 or SFxT. None of those games are hard to run though.

If you DO have problems, you're best running it in windowed mode and putting it on static backgrounds. I do remember some people having problems running it in full screen. So you *can* do that. If you can't run the game it's because you have an ancient toaster or a 200 dollar laptop, lol.

caruga said on July 6, 2014 at 4:20 a.m.

MK for that matter, has had long move lists.

I'm inclined to agree. KOF didn't have any brand recognition with me, and the characters always looked pretty weird and offputting to me. I know it logically isn't consistent when you think of Blanka in sf, maybe because the SF characters were a part of my childhood? But I certainly never approached KOF for the characters.

ThaBigDaddyCMaster said on July 6, 2014 at 4:24 a.m.

He has them now as a Ex Iori.

ThaBigDaddyCMaster said on July 6, 2014 at 4:29 a.m.

Right, some people just don't "feel" the game. I think SF has a lot more marketing and people are just familiar to the characters. Kind of the same way people like "old" characters vs the remade version.

I think once you give in and give them a try though you'll find something you like. I mean I like Evil Ryu and he looks cool to me, but a lot of characters do seem generic and weird in SF (even if I like their backs tory), Kof characters just have a different flair to them.

MissBimbo said on July 6, 2014 at 4:38 a.m.

It's so much easier to do combos in KOF compared to the 1f links in USF4. You can win without HD combos in KOF, but you need those difficult 1f links to do basic combos in USF4 which is quite annoying.

It's hard to do anything decent in USF4 if you can't do 1f links.

ThaBigDaddyCMaster said on July 6, 2014 at 5:01 a.m.

That's because of the low damage output overall, to really make something hurt you have to do a lot of one frame linking, or worse yet, random ultra.

ThaBigDaddyCMaster said on July 6, 2014 at 5:03 a.m.

You're right, much of the skill comes from hit confirming. That's more important than focusing on huge combos. Also the neutral game.

I definitely agree on the netcode. You just have to have fluid motion and get used to not having so much leniency, that's the biggest part.

tortoos said on July 6, 2014 at 6:51 a.m.

I would not consider myself talented at execution and I think MOST (not all) of the bnbs I tried in kof weren't too difficult. The real difficulty is how deep the game is. You're rewarded with a fantastic game if you put in the work though.

Kuroneko said on July 6, 2014 at 7:27 a.m.

AkumaShadow said on July 6, 2014 at 7:38 a.m.

I would love to see the Tag System from KOF XI in XIV, I really liked the Shift Combos but they'll stick to the classic 3-on-3 style, also I want Oswald, Gato, Yamazaki, Vanessa to return

I think this new KOF will use the same engine as Xuan Dou zhi Wang AKA "King of Combat" Terry and Benimaru are guest characters in that game and they look really good in that style

ThaBigDaddyCMaster said on July 6, 2014 at 7:42 a.m.

Pretty much this. Great game to play.

rocorolly said on July 6, 2014 at 7:43 a.m.

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade
Minimum and Recommended Requirements

Minimum
OS: Windows XP/Vista
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz and up
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 9 GB free hard drive space
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 and up (except for NVIDIA GeForce 7300), VRAM: 256MB and up (operation sharing with main memory is not guaranteed)
DirectX®: 9.0c
Sound: DirectSound, DirectX9.0c Compatible Audio

Recommended
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo 2.0 GHz and up
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 and up, VRAM: 512MB and up (operation sharing with main memory is not guaranteed)

KOFXIII system requirements.

Graphics: GeForce GTS 250 ,VRAM: 512MB and up
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 5 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectSound, DirectX9.0c Compatible Audio
Additional Notes: Official Windows Media Player Codecs required

My PC specs:
Windows 8.1 - 64-bit version - AMD A8-6500 quad-core processor (3.5GHz) - 8GB DDR3 memory - 1TB hard drive - AMD Radeon™ HD 8570D graphics - 16 DVD±R/RW DL - HD 5.1-channel audio -

Source steampowered.com

I guess Steam is just Capcom fanboys too, and lying making things up.

Dude, you're seeming ridiculous right now. First off I have no reason to lie, I easily like KOFXIII more than SF4 or xTekken, easy! In fact it's my favorite game of that console gen.

Two, of course I've tried both games on the most minimal of settings, windowed mode doesn't change the game's behavior, that just sounds dumb. The resolution stays the same native res it's always been windowed or not (BECAUSE IT DOESN'T ALLOW YOU TO CHANGE THE RES), FS just stretches it to hug the screen.

The game runs well with static backgrounds, but why should I have to sacrifice that? Believe what you want, but my machine, as well as my friend's and brother's, can easily run SF4 and SFxT, and all three of us have to play KOF on static backgrounds.

Gonbebe said on July 6, 2014 at 7:48 a.m.

KOFXIII is probably the most execution lenient game in the series. It is a struggle for me to play '98 anymore after playing XIII so much. I think the ol' "You need to have gdlk execution to play KOF" is just blown way out of proportion.

Anyways, I would be super hype for a new Last Blade or Samurai Shodown.

rocorolly said on July 6, 2014 at 8:10 a.m.

I love The Last Blade series, and I really like SS. Next to SFIII I think TLB2 has the best aesthetic appeal of any fighter I've played. The artwork, sprite work, character designs, tone and IMPO the best environments in 2D fighters all hit home. That game was soo atmospheric and godly. It was like SS on crack. Plus of course the gameplay.

I also really like SS, it had a radical universe with fantastical characters/designs. It also had very moody music and settings. I really like the way the gameplay is in those games, it was different and worked. It made you require on point defense, and smart offense with those huge chunks of damage done in most of those games. It also promoted good footwork as well as reactions. Good times.

Anyway love both, want both (if done well). They are among my top 5 favorite fighter series.

ThaBigDaddyCMaster said on July 6, 2014 at 8:21 a.m.

Did you read the statistics for what you're getting when you play on min/max settings?

I've never needed anywhere near 4 gb to play Kof online and I've met far more people who have played Kof fine but couldn't handle SF.

Actually you're wrong when you say playing in windowed mode doesn't help. A lot of people who have had issues playing in fullscreen had them rectified in windowed mode. That's definitely the way to play the game if you want the best results and probably makes the largest difference.

So you don't want to play Kof on static backgrounds which makes little difference in the overall experience, but you're fine running SF4 at 800x600 settings with pretty much black backgrounds? I've run it on that before to see how high my benchmark can get and it's an eyesore. It isn't very pretty.

Neither are that hard to run seeing as you can play both of them on a console that is almost ten years old and is comparable to a slightly above mid range computer at the time, but if you have a weak PC, running a game like Skullgirls or Kof on low settings is easier on the system than running SF4 for sure. You also have to keep in mind lag differences and things like V-Sync and triple buffering which alter the experience and will cause lag on weaker systems if used but also cause screen tearing if you don't.

I recently built a gaming desktop that's ultra high end and I have an ultra high end gaming laptop so I can run either easily, but my old gaming desktop with a 9800 and core 2 quad 2.4 gz could handle this game fine as well as all of my other games like Crysis and whatnot.

To say that SF4 doesn't drain more on the system is absurd. It definitely does. If I run it on my laptop I get about 40 minutes of run time if not plugged in (plus the fan kicks up) whereas Kof runs just fine.

Do yourself a favor and run the game in windowed mode.\

I read your posts and you do like the game, but it annoyed me you were saying I was lying and ignorant when I'm far from that and I'm very familiar with PC's.

rocorolly said on July 6, 2014 at 8:32 a.m.

Dude you are running on assumptions. The fact that a specifically made gaming machine can play it...ahh never mind.

I play it on window mode all the time and it makes no difference. Also I don't play SF4 in 800x600, and when I tested it on my PC with that res, I had no black backgrounds. WTH

Dude do you want me to pull up my camera and just straight up show you what I am talking about?

In fact I could test it on several computers if you want.

ThaBigDaddyCMaster said on July 6, 2014 at 8:40 a.m.

You were talking about minimal settings. Minimal settings on SF4 PC are very lackluster if you crank all of the settings down.

Keep in mind that the PC version of Kof is the same thing that you play on PS3 with no real differences whereas the PC version of SF4 is a much more improved version of the game with much better graphics and loading times (which eat more resources), this is one of the main reasons people play the PC version of SF4, it's superior (that and custom mods).

You also aren't acknowledging the screen tear issue if you're not using V-Sync, which is brutal on weak PC's.

I'm not talking about specifically my new PC's. I just told you I had an older machine and I've had several people who just couldn't play SF4 on PC or get it to load but could handle Kof with static backgrounds and windowed mode.

Windowed mode *does* make a difference on certain PC's. In fact some people had bug issues with it. This was well documented at the time the game was released and people were urged to play in windowed mode if they were having problems.

ThaBigDaddyCMaster said on July 6, 2014 at 9:01 a.m.

As a matter of fact, here's a sister game to SF4, SFxT. Similar design, models, etc. What I'm telling you though is the difference to the minimum and maximum settings. Minimum is 800x600 at 30fps (bad for a fighter, should always run at 60 fps) whereas recommended is 1280x720 at 60fps. If I could get the settings number on SF4 I would, but they aren't on that page and I'll have to find it. My point is simply that SF4, Injustice, MK, and SFxT are more demanding on the PC.

Minimum Requirements at *800x600 resolution @ 30FPS)*:
OS: Windows XP
Processor: Intel Dual Core 1.8GHz (or higher) or AMD Athlon II X2 (or higher)
Memory: 1GB (or higher)
Hard Disk Space: 10GB of free space
Video Card: nVidia GF6600 (or higher) or ATi X1600 (or higher) with 256MB of RAM
DirectX®: 9.0c
Sound: DirectSound compatible, DirectX 9.0c (or higher) compatible
Other Requirements: Online play requires software installation of and log-in to Games For Windows - LIVE

Recommended Requirements at *1280x720 resolution @ 60FPS)*:
OS: Windows Vista, 7
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo 2.60GHz (or higher) or AMD Phenom II X2 (or higher)
Memory: 2GB
Hard Disk Space: 10GB of free space
Video Card: nVidia GF8800 (or higher) or ATi X1950 (or higher) with 512MB of RAM
DirectX®: 9.0c
Sound: DirectSound compatible, DirectX 9.0c (or higher) compatible

Kuroneko said on July 6, 2014 at 9:06 a.m.

rocorolly said on July 6, 2014 at 9:08 a.m.

OK first off You have my PC specs, so stop hypothesizing about weak PCs. You know what my PC is capable of up there.

I was not talking about minimal settings, I am just telling you how it runs on my PC and other PCs I know. The requirement thing was just to give you perspective on what the official requirements are, since you seemed adamant on swearing that any sprite based game definitely requires less than an equivalent era 3D game.

I know the SF4 series is superior on PC. I play (actually more like watch others play, since it's not my favorite game) it on both 360 and PC.

And V-Sync doesn't bother me I keep it on for most of my games always.

OK fine people have it better on windowed mode its been known to help. OK now pay attention, on the 3 machines I've tested it on, it does not help. I don't know about others but it doesn't help me, or my brother.

ThaBigDaddyCMaster said on July 6, 2014 at 9:11 a.m.

Well that's my point. I've never had anybody argue that SF4 was *easier* to run than Kof. It just seemed odd to me.

You're talking about a 3d model game running at 1080 vs a 2d sprite game running at 720. Obviously Kof is easier to run.

But I have to disagree with you there. PC runs it faster with quicker loading times, and it does look better than the consoles (like most games naturally) and it also has great custom mods.

Now the Ultra SF4 and Steam integrated AE have awful netcode and all kinds of issues. Before steam integration the PC netcode was definitely the most solid. The experience was truly better and now I'm on console for SF4 or playing Kof.

I don't agree it's better to play on Xbox, and I don't agree with the lack of problems. Capcom really screwed up the steam integration and Ultra on consoles is bad right now. I hope they fix this.

Load more comments