Killer Instinct update now live; adds Spinal, classic costumes for Sabrewulf and Glacius, rage quitter jail, and more

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • January 31, 2014 at 10:46 a.m. PST
The latest Killer Instinct update has gone live this morning and includes quite a bit of new content. First up, Spinal and his stage are now available to use for those who purchased the Ultra or Combo pack of the game.

Additionally, two new classic costumes can now be selected: classic Sabrewulf and Glacius. Each comes with a full set of customize-able accessories.

A number of tweaks to characters and the game itself have also been made, such as new training mode options, "rage quitter jail," and more. You can find a full list of patch notes here.

Below are some screenshots and videos of Glacius' and Sabrewulf's classic costumes, along with all of their accessories. Hit the jump to see everything.

Click images for larger versions

Mentioned by sarif2soon, thomaslight, TwoDogKnight, robertoflorguiot, MatchFixah, 4HTim, Rye_Aka_SekaiSenshi, and a couple of anonymous readers. Video source: DreamKing.

Comments

IMainDanHibiki said on January 31, 2014 at 10:49 a.m.

Glacius looks frickin' SICK.

Sabrewulf looks good; I prefer his feral design.

JumpMan33 said on January 31, 2014 at 10:51 a.m.

Now this Glacius looks much better! idk why they opted to change him.

Bartix64 said on January 31, 2014 at 10:52 a.m.

Dat Benny color on Sabrewulf

samuraix025 said on January 31, 2014 at 10:52 a.m.

Ok classic glacius time to go buy an xbox one now

sarif2soon said on January 31, 2014 at 10:53 a.m.

LET'S GO WEEK OF SPINAL!

HooliganComboFTW said on January 31, 2014 at 10:55 a.m.

Maybe because they wanted to make him more 'alien' like he is instead of the generic looking snow Spawn look? In any case, glad both options are available so people can stop complaining about their aesthetics preferences now.

Evorgleb said on January 31, 2014 at 10:58 a.m.

So thats all it takes eh?

TrueGamingGuru said on January 31, 2014 at 10:58 a.m.

Those are some awesome classic KI costumes, I'll definitely would play as these costumes. Keep up the good work DH.

Oxymoron said on January 31, 2014 at 11 a.m.

I was one of the people not whining about how "DH ruined their old designs" and thought they made them better, with more personality and updated. Although still true to the previous comment, Glacius updated old design does actually look better. Sabrewolf still looks goofy as hell though

TheTHCGamer said on January 31, 2014 at 11:02 a.m.

Yes the only current gen fighter keeps getting better;).

RunnersKnee said on January 31, 2014 at 11:03 a.m.

Classic looks rock!! And they come with their own set of costumes?! Niiice!

msdrakegx said on January 31, 2014 at 11:03 a.m.

I never played the original KI and these costumes look way worse to me. I love the new art direction. Glad they put them in anyways for long term fans to enjoy.

TheTHCGamer said on January 31, 2014 at 11:08 a.m.

Yea sabrewulfs looks terrible in my opinion and I'll stick with his new look for the most part. Same thing with orchid but the classical Glacius/Jago don't look too bad in my opinion. Either way games a lot of fun to play and now we got spinal. I can't wait for Fulgore though he was my favorite character in KI and KI2.

KingKong said on January 31, 2014 at 11:10 a.m.

Love the classic Glacius skin

Penumbra said on January 31, 2014 at 11:11 a.m.

So just a heads up to everyone. Looks like the patch is pretty buggy. Got jailed due to other player disconnect and screen freeze at the start of the match and I haven't rage quite since I got the game :( looks like rage quit or quitting due to game freeze/ lag count toward both players In some instances

Other players are reporting loss of all saved replays and reset of purchased items, also loss of rank once starting the game up after the patch.

All the bugs reported can be found on double helix discussion forum. Love the game and been enjoying it since I found a fightstick for it but just wanted to give other players an fyi for issues that might occur when you dl the patch.

I'm sure these bug will be attended to in a timely manner but in the meantime expect a few issue with the patch for now.

That being said spinal is tons of fun

xShonuffx said on January 31, 2014 at 11:13 a.m.

THAT CLASSIC GLACIUS IS ON POINT!

BuffBison said on January 31, 2014 at 11:17 a.m.

Yea mine froze mid match a couple times...waited like 5 min then quit but no jail even tho i never rage cuz thats stupid. but everything else is cool wit mine.

TheTHCGamer said on January 31, 2014 at 11:22 a.m.

Righ on thanks for the heads up I'll check out the DH forums later.

Helios86 said on January 31, 2014 at 11:23 a.m.

The classic Glacius looks sweet but this new SW is just too disimilar from the old one to pull off the classic costume. The face and snout are too different.

GodPride said on January 31, 2014 at 11:25 a.m.

Good, I hate Glacius' redesign.

TwoDogKnight said on January 31, 2014 at 11:25 a.m.

Tested it out this morning before leaving for work. I wish Sabrewulf didn't have those googly bug eyes. He looks mighty goofy. I might mess around with his retro skin for a little while but will most likely go back to the new skin, which in my opinion is one of the best designed characters in any fighting game I've ever seen.
Glacius is definitely the best retro skin so far.
Spinal looks like he'll be a riot to use or play against.

Can't wait to dig into it some more.

BlackOnyxThunder said on January 31, 2014 at 11:32 a.m.

OH MY GOD, CLASSIC GLACIUS LOOKS SICK!!! AND DAT ZOMBIE SABREWULF!

trplem19 said on January 31, 2014 at 11:45 a.m.

not happy with sabrewulf. Where is the ripped green shirt at? Glacius on the other hand looks awesome. Does anyone else feel this way?

dc4lsvtec said on January 31, 2014 at 11:56 a.m.

I didnt know I could hate saberwolf design more than the XB1 update but the new "classic design" looks absolutely terrible. Its like when they gave DMC dante a classic devil may cry look. Glacius, eh, good enough.

TorTorVega said on January 31, 2014 at 11:59 a.m.

.... Rofl @ Sabrewulf. That ... just ... Yeah ... Wow. I thought the plastic Jago outfit was bad ... But Classic Glacius is spot on, so good for them on that front.

JRXP2011 said on January 31, 2014 at noon

Yo glacius is back! Sabrewolf is ok. I mean it's good because it brings more variety, but I like the KI3 design better. Two more service calls and then I'm on my way to XB1.

HmpLghtng said on January 31, 2014 at 12:08 p.m.

Classic Glacius? I really hope they port this game to PC now.

Burnt said on January 31, 2014 at 12:10 p.m.

Teen Wolf for sure in that red vest! Also, love the Bionic Wulf

spman2099 said on January 31, 2014 at 12:12 p.m.

Sabrewulf looks worse in those screen shots due to the angle of the camera they (stupidly) decided to showcase him with. I am not saying his classic skin is awesome, it just isn't as bad as the screen shots would imply. On the other hand, the Glacius classic costume is awesome. It looks like this game will actually have a reasonable amount of content when it is finished. I can't wait to see where they are at with it in a year or so. Hopefully they will have another five characters (at the very least) in at that point...

Otter_of_Death said on January 31, 2014 at 12:12 p.m.

Generic looking snow Spawn look? How can a snow spawn be generic? How many snow spawns do you know about? Tell me, so that I too may give homage.

kdavis851 said on January 31, 2014 at 12:15 p.m.

I like new Glacius much better than old Glacius.

Mr_Rik0 said on January 31, 2014 at 12:25 p.m.

I think I prefer the new John Talbain Sabrewulf over the classic, but Glacius looks sick. Waiting for mohawk Thunder and alternate Sadira.

TorTorVega said on January 31, 2014 at 12:26 p.m.

They will. They can't say that right now because currently the game is an exclusive and is doing quite well for MS. Give it a year and they'll change their tune and we'll see a PC release.

Hotdiddykong said on January 31, 2014 at 12:29 p.m.

Saburwulf now looks more scary actually

Hotdiddykong said on January 31, 2014 at 12:30 p.m.

Its a Rare property,which Microsoft fully owns,just because Double Helix made the game doesnt mean anything, its not going to PC

MrNova749 said on January 31, 2014 at 12:37 p.m.

Wow...I've never rage quit and they put me in jail? This may be faulty as hell

Demented7 said on January 31, 2014 at 12:46 p.m.

Why does Wulf look like an Over sized rat ? Ugly ass costume.

MatheViB said on January 31, 2014 at 12:53 p.m.

I am so happy i have been running into so many ragequiters today because i know what happens to them now :)

BlitzN said on January 31, 2014 at 1 p.m.

Lol you keep thinking that. MS isn't in the games for windows business anymore. Chances of this going to the PC are slim and none they want x1's in homes and putting major titles on the PC doesn't help that cause.

ShiroiKaze said on January 31, 2014 at 1:42 p.m.

LOL at the Sabrewulf merkin :P

DORMWORM said on January 31, 2014 at 1:42 p.m.

ok KI .....now we talking purchase
thats the G man i know and remember

cuzzo said on January 31, 2014 at 1:43 p.m.

Okay, so are all the retro skins gonna be KI1 based? Cuz I'm sure most would prefer the KI2 Orchid and saberwulf with the metal arms. Also all the redesigns are very cool. @2 new game new look. I just wish they'd give thunder his KI1 skin, they said they wouldn't cuz of how stereotypical it was.. But that's WHO HE WAS, if they put that goofey OG saberwulf then they can put OG thunder skin. Anyways, Lookin forward to the rest o the cast to be released.. Combo and Cinder and hopefully more original characters

xShonuffx said on January 31, 2014 at 1:46 p.m.

Enter4none said on January 31, 2014 at 1:54 p.m.

Whaaaaaaaat? classics can't do wrong, this is doctored footage <KappaFace>

Amerika said on January 31, 2014 at 1:56 p.m.

I really don't like the old Glacius look. He was a generic snowman that looked like it took very little time for them to create. But I am glad that he's got his "classic" look back for those of you who are into generic humanoid looks :)

So, this thread has been surprisingly devoid of Spinal comments. I assume few have gotten home yet to play him or are currently playing and can't be bothered to post.

Otter_of_Death said on January 31, 2014 at 2:19 p.m.

The classic Glacius alt is straight from KI2, but other than that, I agree. KI2 Orchid is way better than KI2 Orchid, and the metal arms in the customization section just don't have the same affect as the the original KI2 model.

Otter_of_Death said on January 31, 2014 at 2:27 p.m.

People have been echoing this a lot lately. Listen, guys: complexity for the sake of complexity isn't better by default. The fact that Glacius' design was so simple is exactly why the character concept shown through so well. He was a liquid-based lifeform. Wanna know how you DON'T communicate that concept? By adding bone spurs. And insect-like features. And a face that resembles a turtle. Honestly, I LIKE the new design, but people are knocking down a strawman when they bring up this "generic snowman" crap.

samuraix025 said on January 31, 2014 at 2:27 p.m.

TorTorVega said on January 31, 2014 at 2:28 p.m.

You keep thinking that they won't chase profits wherever they can get them with minimal efforts okay? =) They shut down their GFWL service because it was a pointless DRM scheme that major developers started to shun in favor of Steam.

They absolutely want to get Xbox 1 in as many homes as they can, and KI does help them to that goal. But will it a year from now? Or even later this year? Nope. And that's not saying anything about the quality of the game, but old games don't sell systems, new games do. Once KI isn't new and shiny any more, it will get a PC port. There is no good reason for it not to, and every reason for it.

Especially with statements from people at NRS and other people in the industry that fighting games on PC not only sell but massively exceed expectations. But yeah, sure, keep pretending that MS doesn't want as much money as they can get, and that they won't make the smart/easy move to get that money.

Because they've NEVER ported Xbox exclusi...oh wait. They have. :'(

Edit: Man that crazy Xbox fanboyism. It's okay children, your beloved console won't be hurt by the inevitable PC port. By then you'll have new shiny exclusives to fawn over. *patpat*

cadnexus said on January 31, 2014 at 3:02 p.m.

I seriously don't know what people are thinking with the classic designs, all of the classic designs are all boring and bland compared to their current look.

BlitzN said on January 31, 2014 at 3:05 p.m.

How many exclusive have they ported? They have less ports, then they've kept exclusive.

And there are money reasons not to port. With the PC version they don't get a $60 gold subscription every year from players.

Yes it's fanboyism to state the more likely scenario of this remaining exclusive. Your not going to see a port for the PC on this title, it commands too much for the x1 market penetration in the fighting genre.

They'd loss far more with a PC port. Say they sell 250,000. Well the amount of revenue from those sales are less the 10,000 sales on the x1. When you factor the price from the system sale and game it's down to about 7,000. $20 game compared to $520 dollar of console and game( haven't even added live on with that)

GodPride said on January 31, 2014 at 3:06 p.m.

It's all preference. Some like the Spawn/T-100 look while others like whatever the new Glacius was suppose to be. Whatever it is, it looked to be inspired by District 9's cockroach with gelatin as its exoskeleton suit. But I agree, it look like a gelatinous mess.

Vorador said on January 31, 2014 at 3:09 p.m.

Classic Glacius is cool but classic Sabrewulf is horrible...

Sickn3s said on January 31, 2014 at 3:14 p.m.

Can somebody on here plz explain to me how I've got the jail Icon and I've never rage quit in this game I played a bunch of matches with spinal (Ranked) no quits took all my losses like a man lost my rank then I switched back to Saberwulf got my rank back on the rank up match in the middle of my ultra my opponent quits on my rank up battle then when I get back to the main menu my rank is there but I have bars where my icon is what gives? I have no clue why I was placed in Jail

MALDA_IS_BACK said on January 31, 2014 at 3:18 p.m.

Honestly in my opinion the new design looks much better then the old ones.

Enter4none said on January 31, 2014 at 3:21 p.m.

That jail is gonna get overcrowded and soon! ~ people at ranked REALLY REALLY love their ID title graphics to stay verbatim.

Yes, I'm aware there are reports of game glitching/freezing forcing you to disconnect, but not in my experience so far: on the battle reviews I can see my opponent's buttons mashing suddenly stop few seconds before I have my win... or hear "Xbox quit Killer Instinct".

Hope the problems with this patch get fixed, and that any ranks lost today get reset to the way they were before it.

Rye_Aka_SekaiSenshi said on January 31, 2014 at 5 p.m.

For those wondering, that's KI2/Gold Glacius, and IS MY absolutely favorite Glacius design to date. :) GOLD Glacius FTW!

TrueGamingGuru said on January 31, 2014 at 5:49 p.m.

So far not all retro skins are based off KI1...

But for retro skins so far 2 from each KI games, such as KI1 retro skin: Orchid & Sabrewulf along with KI2 retro skin: Jago & Glacius. But there are still chances for KI2 Orchid & Sabrewulf's Metal Arms, but it'll very likely happen when Season 2 comes along. (unless they decide to add 2nd retro skin for the other characters such as Jago, Glacius, Sabrewulf, Orchid, Spinal, & Fulgore)

There is still a possible chance for Thunder's KI1 retro skin return, so far Glacius already got his retro skin. (when the Ultra Fanbook didn't contain classic Glacius)

lukecage83 said on January 31, 2014 at 5:59 p.m.

That's why they look way worse to you. Because you never touched the original KI's.

The only new character design I like is Spinal. Kinda hard to EFF that up since he's just a skeleton. The classic Sabrewulf still looks like the new one in the face. Not feelin' that. Glacius looks BOSS though.

HyperViperNZ said on January 31, 2014 at 9:40 p.m.

Ugh, Saberwulf looks like a poodle in a sweater.
Glacius looks good though.

Amerika said on January 31, 2014 at 11:27 p.m.

I don't think you know what a strawman is. I don't like the old Glacius because he looked like a zero effort humanoid filler character. It's my opinion on the art style and design which has nothing to do with a strawman argument.

DestinyZX1 said on February 1, 2014 at 8:22 a.m.

I wait for Week of Spinal too. Max is going to be the reason why I'm buying an Xbox One with Killer Instinct.