Head of Microsoft Studios calls new Killer Instinct a success, says other IPs will return

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • January 29, 2014 at 8:47 a.m. PST

If you're curious how well the new Killer Instinct on Xbox One has performed, wonder no more. The head of Microsoft Studios, and corporate vice president, Phil Spencer left a tweet briefly addressing the new title's performance.

"Success with KI was a good sign and you'll see some more IP return," said Spencer.

The fact that Killer Instinct has performed so well that Microsoft is thinking of resurrecting some of the other IPs is definitely good news for fighting game fans, as it means there's been yet another successful title in recent memory.

Hit the jump to read onwards.

Fighting game releases have been a bit of a mixed bag these last few years.

Injustice: Gods Among Us and Mortal Kombat 9 have been strong performers for NetherRealm Studios, with the latter game selling close to 4 million units.

On the other end of the spectrum, titles like Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Street Fighter X Tekken, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Marvel vs. Capcom: Origins and Darkstalkers Resurrection, among others, performed below their respective company's expectations.

Regardless, Killer Instinct being marked as a success is good news for the FGC, as it shows there's still a solid interest in fighting games on the next generation consoles.

Source: Twitter.

Comments

RedEther said on January 29, 2014 at 8:49 a.m.

Good to hear now bring back Conker then you'll have more of my money.

pants4ever said on January 29, 2014 at 8:52 a.m.

jme said on January 29, 2014 at 8:53 a.m.

If they come back with a legit Perfect Dark, I'd be salty. I might even swallow my pride and buy an Xbone for it Kappa.

Deeyennay said on January 29, 2014 at 8:55 a.m.

What's an IP?

MatheViB said on January 29, 2014 at 8:55 a.m.

so happy to hear this :)

anthonygamer said on January 29, 2014 at 8:59 a.m.

Conker's Bad Fur Day 2 confirmed? Kreygasm

StarWolf27 said on January 29, 2014 at 8:59 a.m.

This is great news. Especially to everyone who has hated thus far. KI will continue to get better

Blackoshinomi said on January 29, 2014 at 9 a.m.

And what other game is competing with KI ?

NoizyChild said on January 29, 2014 at 9:03 a.m.

Intellectual Property.

For example, Capcom IPs would be Resident Evil, Street Fighter, and Devil May Cry, among others.

Rare IPs include Killer Instinct and Battletoads.

Bigshel said on January 29, 2014 at 9:06 a.m.

IP stands for "Intellectual Property".

in·tel·lec·tu·al prop·er·ty
noun
Law
noun: intellectual property; noun: intellectualproperty

a work or invention that is the result of creativity, such as a manuscript or a design, to which one has rights and for which one may apply for a patent, copyright, trademark, etc. In video game terms. IPs are basically, means is that it is a new series. or original series.

Deeyennay said on January 29, 2014 at 9:08 a.m.

Thanks!

djm0001 said on January 29, 2014 at 9:10 a.m.

let's get some Clay Fighter up in here

sarif2soon said on January 29, 2014 at 9:10 a.m.

On the same console? None.
Other consoles? Lol, a lot.

shaolindk said on January 29, 2014 at 9:13 a.m.

Come on Double Helix, where is the promised release news and download of Spinal. It was slated for January 2014. Theres's only 2 days remaining left in January. So disappointed! I love Killer Instinct 3, but the long crazy wait is killing me. Come Double Helix, don't let your fans down!

Burnt said on January 29, 2014 at 9:20 a.m.

Still wish someone would resurrect Weaponlord

BornReady said on January 29, 2014 at 9:21 a.m.

I hope PS4 realizes it has a great opportunity in working with Capcom to bring a new Darkstalkers to COUNTER BREAKER Microsoft.

FightingGameLover90 said on January 29, 2014 at 9:23 a.m.

Bloody Roar hint hint xD give us bloody roar

sarif2soon said on January 29, 2014 at 9:26 a.m.

Your 7th character will be out soon.
Our 5th character hasn't even been announced.

Consider yourself lucky.

TorTorVega said on January 29, 2014 at 9:31 a.m.

As long as they do it right, I'm all for new versions of class series.

Personally I'm waiting for the next batch of XB1 exclusives to hit so that Double Helix can stop pretending that they're not going to port KI to PC later this year / early next year. Kind of irritating that MS won't let them (honestly) discuss their plans for fear that it would hurt XB1 sales. :/

BornReady said on January 29, 2014 at 9:33 a.m.

A new Primal Rage might be fun too.

JELIFISH19 said on January 29, 2014 at 9:36 a.m.

Bring back other IPs like what? Fighting games Kakuto Chojin, Tao Feng, and Kung Fu Chaos. Or other MS IPs like Brute Force, Nightcaster, Azurik, Blinx, Mechassault, Crimson Skies, Blue Dragon, Too Human, and Fusion Frenzy? Or Rare IPs like Grabbed by Ghoulies, Banjo, Conker, Perfect Dark, and Kameo? MS has a huge library of IPs that it's not using. Sure, their initial games weren't the greatest but they could be great with a good team behind them. MS needs more exclusives and it has a large pool of possible candidates. They should dip into it.

djm0001 said on January 29, 2014 at 9:41 a.m.

if MS made a Fusion Frenzy spin-off, that was only Twisted System...mother of god - best party game ever

Enter4none said on January 29, 2014 at 9:42 a.m.

Love the current KI game, own it, play it a lot.

But Mr. Phil Spencer's twitter message has to be juiciest troll/fanboy bait of the month.

Focusflute said on January 29, 2014 at 9:46 a.m.

Glad its doing so well. I think this game will only continue to grow since they are adding 8+ characters each year. KI is incredible and a must own!

Focusflute said on January 29, 2014 at 9:48 a.m.

Also could see some weird franchises coming back like:

Weaponlord
Blooy Roar
Clayfighter

Wish Capcom would do Darkstalkers 4

Burnt said on January 29, 2014 at 9:50 a.m.

Primal Rage!

Kawalorn said on January 29, 2014 at 9:56 a.m.

As far as I saw Killer Instinct was the only good thing that came out of Xbox One so far. And that's saying a lot considering it is a budget title. :P Awesome but still budget.

Quan said on January 29, 2014 at 10:08 a.m.

SoftShocks said on January 29, 2014 at 10:11 a.m.

I don't play KI, but good to know its doing well.
Perhaps Namco and Capcom could take notes from NRS and DH ;D

Memanruler said on January 29, 2014 at 10:18 a.m.

Hey, Microsoft?

You thinkin' about bringin' back some old IPs?

Huh?

Well, uh, ya know...

Weaponlord has been checking you out since you walked into the bar, might wanna it that.

Wardog said on January 29, 2014 at 10:33 a.m.

Take notes, how?

Maybe you need to play other games... cause Namco along with TN (Team ninja) gives you a lot of content and other company like milking its game and tease their fan base with little info on something till it get to the point, that nobody really care for it no more.

So when it comes down to it. Its Capcom and DH that need to take notes.

xShonuffx said on January 29, 2014 at 10:58 a.m.

They are probably trying balance the hell out of him. They'll probably release him no later than the 31st.

SirKortland said on January 29, 2014 at 11:02 a.m.

Battletoads plz.

shaolindk said on January 29, 2014 at 11:05 a.m.

Yeah me too, I've also been waiting for the unannounced 5th character from Capcom, but with all the teasing and trolling of over 5 months I got to the point that I don't really care anymore. Much prefer to play Killer Instinct at the moment even though I have been a huge SF fan for over 20 years.

G0dmqsteR said on January 29, 2014 at 11:41 a.m.

Guess it's time to resurrect some DoAX, who's with me!?

Otter_of_Death said on January 29, 2014 at 11:49 a.m.

So happy to hear KI is doing well. There's so much I want to see from the game.

Ett said on January 29, 2014 at 11:53 a.m.

Put Conker and a Battletoad in KI

fawaz said on January 29, 2014 at 11:55 a.m.

Would love to see new Battletoads & Double Dragon arcade beat em ups and a may be a tournament fighter.

Quakeulf said on January 29, 2014 at 11:58 a.m.

I want to see Joanna Dark in a fighting game. :3

Galletano said on January 29, 2014 at noon

I'm with you. TN should make the best DOAX ever, with mini games as good as the volleyball and jetski.

I'm glad this game was successful, cause there are more chances of a second season with the rest of the cast and new faces.

HooliganComboFTW said on January 29, 2014 at 12:23 p.m.

Well that is fortunate to hear. Means the liklihood for future content to be green-lit is that more likely now.

Super_Shoto_Fighter_4 said on January 29, 2014 at 12:29 p.m.

Not a fan of the game but this is great news.

Lordd_G said on January 29, 2014 at 12:53 p.m.

You waited 17 years for KI"3"... you can wait another few weeks...

Lordd_G said on January 29, 2014 at 12:54 p.m.

Your game already has 39 characters.
Ours has 6 so far.

Consider yourself lucky.

Lordd_G said on January 29, 2014 at 12:56 p.m.

Battle-f-cking-Toads!

OmegaDarkStar said on January 29, 2014 at 1:01 p.m.

If Battletoads happens and is an exclusive I would consider buying an XBone...

chipndip said on January 29, 2014 at 1:26 p.m.

Before now: Fking Xbone! Screw the Brick-Box and its Killer Instinct! Why does this game have like, SIX CHARACTERS!? It's gonna be Jago mirrors all year long. When the HELL is Guilty Gear Xrd?

Now: I fully appreciate Microsoft and Killer Instinct. I love the game and I'm glad it did well. The low character roster did wonders for the in-game balance, and I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for new roster entries and the story mode.

I mean, come on...>_>

sarif2soon said on January 29, 2014 at 1:33 p.m.

New characters.

likewoah said on January 29, 2014 at 1:43 p.m.

The guys who did Weaponlord (James Goddard and Dave Winstead) also worked on the new Killer Instinct.

So Weaponlord actually has a chance of coming back.

Although, 2K Games owns the IP. And they're doing nothing but sports games at the moment.

DatSlowNewsDay said on January 29, 2014 at 1:51 p.m.

Oxymoron said on January 29, 2014 at 2:10 p.m.

Here how Microsoft could capitalise on old IP's from their developers...let Rare make a game they actually want to and how they want it to be.

Perfect Dark, Conkers, Banjo etc would be perfect but Microsoft rather keep them to make boring limited games for their awful Kinect hardware. Any company could make them, so why Rare? I would even buy Xbox one for one of those, even though I swore I wouldn't buy one due to their pre-launch tactics

JRXP2011 said on January 29, 2014 at 2:42 p.m.

Great news! I love this game so far and I can't wait for more characters/content. I'm glad to see that microsoft is happy with the way they game has performed, so they will keep it going.

snubtrap said on January 29, 2014 at 2:43 p.m.

Why would they take this success and risk running some other beloved franchise further into the dirt by letting "Rare" develop it? Almost everyone that matters is gone and they're nothing but a Kinect shovelware factory at this point. It'd be better for everyone if they looked at KI as an example and let other developers have a shot at bringing Rare's IPs back.

LordProsper said on January 29, 2014 at 2:46 p.m.

They should bring Banjo back! As in, a platformer and not a game about lego cars.

cadnexus said on January 29, 2014 at 2:51 p.m.

Lets see other IP's to bring back:

Blinx would be good, Microsoft could use a platform character again.

Tao Feng would be awesome (rebooted add more characters boom)it would be like DOA, but with a few more attack buttons.

Brute Force would be good especially 4 player mode

Kabuto Chojin should NEVER return (completely a Tekken rip off). At least Tao Feng was much more original and just better.

Kung Fu Chaos would be awesome a really great party game. Putting that game on the next gen would be incredible

Bloody_hado said on January 29, 2014 at 4:20 p.m.

Bring Back Otogi. That game was the sh*t on the original xbox.

OT: I'm happy that KI is doing great. Hopefully more people will play the game and Msoft and DH will continue to support the game with more charas and game modes

courte said on January 29, 2014 at 5:19 p.m.

i couldn't help but worry if a reality check awaits them once they release a game without a FREE option.

RandomSelectMaster said on January 29, 2014 at 5:21 p.m.

I am hoping Sony Entertainment will get into fighting games like themselves. And I am not talking about the All Stars, I want them to make an original fighting game to counter Rare. I know Naughty Dog could do it. Let's see it guys! :) And as for KI, I will try it out on my friend's Xbox soon.

KingKong said on January 29, 2014 at 6:06 p.m.

That's interesting news. Looking forward to a next-gen Viva Piñata and/or Perfect Dark.

AlphaLegend said on January 29, 2014 at 6:54 p.m.

Would be really cool if Microsoft/Rare were to reboot Battle Toads..... as well as drop sequels too Perfect Dark, Conker, & Kameo!!

JMJ_X said on January 29, 2014 at 7:02 p.m.

That's a understatement there are character rotates now in Killer instinct. Jago is not free

TrueGamingGuru said on January 29, 2014 at 7:32 p.m.

I wouldn't 100% hope for Sony to even get into an original fighting game, because Sony tends to follow the common Western Market (as in Shooting games, with cinematic cutscenes, or dialogue like a TV show that has been done to death) along with other Genres. While fighting games will mostly be treated like the niche genre, that not many people will buy. (with few exceptions)

For Naughty Dog, I would doubt they would ever make another fighter game. They've already made Way of the Warrior for 3DO which received negative reviews, and Playstation All-Stars was originally going to be developed by Naughty Dog but they were too busy with the Last of Us which publisher Sony gave the development to Superbot. (which the ties between Superbot & Sony were cut after the games released)

All I see Naughty Dog doing is making more Adventure/Shooter games like Uncharted & Last of Us or any new originals they may do for the PS4 in the future.

If it was the 90s, we could see an original fighter game from Sony. But this isn't the year to even see original fighter games. The only time KI was there in 2013 had to do with Ken Lobb wanting to revive KI multiple times in the past & Microsoft wanting an original fighter game as a launch title. (since games like DOA is no longer Xbox exclusive anymore)

All we can do is watch what Sony or Naughty Dog has to offer for games we might play.

TrueGamingGuru said on January 29, 2014 at 7:37 p.m.

I would definitely be looking forward to what Microsoft might revive next for old IP. I just certainty hope to see it at E3, & what the Microsoft press conference has to offer.

I would be on board with G0dmqsteR when it comes to DOAX, all its going to take is what Team Ninja is going to do next for PS4, Xbox One, & maybe Wii U.

FightDirty said on January 29, 2014 at 8:06 p.m.

Please dear Gawd, bring back Bloody Roar! Would love to see Hugo, Long or Shina go beast mode in glorious HD with modern GFX.

hazelnut1112 said on January 29, 2014 at 8:20 p.m.

Can't wait to see more Rare IPs be butchered as well.
After Nuts N Boltz, no thank you.

shaolindk said on January 30, 2014 at 3:52 a.m.

Wasn't really a big fan of Killer Instinct 1 and 2 back in the 90's so I wasn't really waiting 17 years at all. I was actually waiting for Ultra SF 4, but have kinda lost interest with all the trolling and teasing Capcom has done to it's fans. I was impressed at how Killer Instinct turned out. Just wanted them to release the new character Spinal and hopefully Fulgore for a bit more variety!

GameUnderground said on January 30, 2014 at 8:42 a.m.

Conker please. MORE CONKER.

Darklurkr23 said on January 30, 2014 at 11:35 a.m.

It's funny how the most hard to play games are the ones that "don't do well"

But hell I'm not complaining. This means Season 2 confirmed for Killer Instinct and possible #3!

GodzOfTheArenaTV said on January 30, 2014 at 3:06 p.m.

Just give me a really good Perfect Dark and I will be good. But back to Killer Instinct. Its really good. Looks great, gameplay is smooth, best online fighting experience and they are continuing to update the game. There will be more characters and stages. Roughly around 16 in the end. There will be Lobbies, Arcade mode and Story mode as well. Including No Mercy Finishers. They are looking into stage finishers as well. This is going to be a great ride as we watch Killer Instinct continue to grow with updates and add ons.

Aquarius_D said on January 31, 2014 at 12:01 a.m.

I'm still waiting for a Kameo Sequel :)

JesseRobles said on January 31, 2014 at 12:27 a.m.

A NEW DIDDY KONG RACING! (I can dream...)