Character tier listing results for Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012 - EventHubs beta update

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • January 27, 2014 at 8:04 p.m. PST

We've made some heavy additions to our beta test of the Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012 tiers section here on EventHubs.

Now you will find compiled results for all of the game's 39 cast members, which includes a character-by-character breakdown of how all of their match ups were voted.

Keep in mind, this is based on a weighted scoring system to eliminate troll votes from the equation. So far over 36,000 votes have been cast, and that number is growing daily.

We've also went a bit further and instead of just displaying a traditional match up chart, you'll find all of the matches have been separated from best to worst, including how many times they were voted for — and you can easily compare how you voted with how the weighted scores turned out.

Hit the jump to continue reading, and find specific links to every character's section.

You'll notice that we haven't compiled overall results, yet. We're still working on this section and fine tuning various elements, hence why we're still referring to this area as a beta test.

Still, looking at each character's overall score, you'll get a good idea of how they currently rank in the overall listings.

Here are links to those sections, in case you don't want to use the index page linked above.

Tier listing breakdowns for all of Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012's cast

Abel
Seth
T. Hawk
Vega
Yang
Yun
Zangief

As always, if you discover any bugs or have questions, please feel free to leave them in the comments below.

We'll be rolling out many more features to the tiers section in the near future, including support for additional games. Stay tuned.

Comments

a800562 said on January 26, 2014 at 4:12 p.m.

Can't wait for ultra to stop the cammy nonsense.

timefalls said on January 26, 2014 at 4:20 p.m.

lol thawk zangief is never 5.5/4.5

MatheViB said on January 26, 2014 at 4:23 p.m.

i got sad from clicking on Chun's tier, but mostly i give my respect for Dan players.

akaisora said on January 26, 2014 at 4:26 p.m.

I will not look at the tier list and I will bet Akuma is at the top.

r0my5 said on January 26, 2014 at 4:33 p.m.

dat makoto doe

Rvo2099 said on January 26, 2014 at 4:34 p.m.

What an awesome work... Just great!

AKumahMatata said on January 26, 2014 at 4:37 p.m.

now this is awesome. interesting match votes for akuma

pinoy929 said on January 26, 2014 at 4:37 p.m.

Aren't they giving Cammy back her low air cannon strike back?

Noocta said on January 26, 2014 at 4:40 p.m.

Dat Makoto with only 4 advantageous match ups.

OhYouDontSayThat said on January 26, 2014 at 4:42 p.m.

Abel no plz Abel!

sarif2soon said on January 26, 2014 at 4:46 p.m.

Will there be a full chart with all the results?

msdrakegx said on January 26, 2014 at 4:46 p.m.

This is looking great. Is there any way we can get a regular tier list as well?

Catalyst said on January 26, 2014 at 4:47 p.m.

Yes. Coming soonish.

Catalyst said on January 26, 2014 at 4:47 p.m.

Yes, more things will be added into this section soon, including that.

sarif2soon said on January 26, 2014 at 4:51 p.m.

"Dan's Best Match"
"-"

Okay, this guy needs serious buffs.

thisisblaz3 said on January 26, 2014 at 4:52 p.m.

Dee Jay link is broken

Catalyst said on January 26, 2014 at 4:53 p.m.

Server issues should be fixed now. Let us know if you have more problems.

thisisblaz3 said on January 26, 2014 at 4:56 p.m.

ok there it goes lol

pants4ever said on January 26, 2014 at 4:57 p.m.

Qatar said on January 26, 2014 at 5:09 p.m.

Dan is the man !

Vothsair said on January 26, 2014 at 5:13 p.m.

Yun should never beat Zangief like ever. That matchup is 0-10.

LunaSlave said on January 26, 2014 at 5:14 p.m.

I've got an idea - how about a popularity weighted tier list? Basically - a matchup chart that awards more points to a character for being strong against popular characters than it does against weak ones. A 6-4 against Ryu should mean more than a 6-4 against T. Hawk, yet this is rarely reflected in traditional tier lists and the like.

Gurpwnder said on January 26, 2014 at 5:26 p.m.

No way in hell is Gouki worse for Dan than Blanka or Honda. I suspect that a lot of these votes for Dan aren't coming from actual Dan players.

Catalyst said on January 26, 2014 at 5:26 p.m.

That's a very interesting idea. Thanks for the suggestion. We'll have to give that one some thought.

Teapo said on January 26, 2014 at 5:31 p.m.

People ought to look at comments like this (pant4ever etc etc) and realize people like this have a vote and it has just as much weight as your vote/any top player's vote. People take tier lists a tad bit too seriously, and "data" like this easily proves that they have flaws (compiled opinions). I'm not singling anybody out. Just felt it a healthy reminder after I saw a comment like that.

gmarr87 said on January 26, 2014 at 5:45 p.m.

I feel like alot of these votes are just bandwagon votes. Dan is alot better than people make him out to be, yet he apparently has no favorable matchups.

Meanwhile Akuma is Evil Ryu's worst or one of his worst matchups?

He is absolutely not. With enough knowledge it may even be in E ryu's favor.

CrimzonWolf777 said on January 26, 2014 at 5:52 p.m.

Hold up...Chun beats Dictator? And loses to Guile? Someone explain this bullcrap to me...in detail! Alot of these matchups I never understood.

Serious post...I sersiouly don't understand why matchups like Dictator and Boxer are in favor of her.

Kenmasters101 said on January 26, 2014 at 5:57 p.m.

Makoto match list made me sad, but 11 popular overall more than I expected

djm0001 said on January 26, 2014 at 6:37 p.m.

I'm definitely scratching my head on a few of these matchups, but keep in mind most of these are based on like 30-90 votes....which is nothing when you look at the amount of people that play the game, so I can definitely see some matchups not being accurately represented.

As for Boxer/Chun match-up, playing as Balrog I always had trouble against her. Her sweep is so damn strong, and her jump is high enough to jump over balrog's headbutts. With correct reads she has a great toolset to squash balrog's offense.

VolcanicAkuma55 said on January 26, 2014 at 6:39 p.m.

this tier list is just full of lols and fail

BlackOnyxThunder said on January 26, 2014 at 6:44 p.m.

But... how...

Izick said on January 26, 2014 at 6:52 p.m.

Makoto and dan tier list deserves a double *Facepalm*
ken zangief is 5 -5 *FacePalm* its at least 4 - 6 in zangief favor.
Anyways kind of lol that everyone best matchup against dan. Feel like most of the 5 - 5 are people who didn't know the matchup and voted.

chickenlegs90 said on January 26, 2014 at 7:13 p.m.

From a UI perspective, you should combine all the characters (on each page) into a single table and simply color code favorable, un-favorable and even matchups. Three tables only adds more scrolling for no real benefit.

Also make the tables sortable please. I'm kind've surprised they aren't.

SquallSaga said on January 26, 2014 at 7:41 p.m.

Incredible work, thanks a lot !!!!

I also however feel sometimes the "default" vot 5/5 was put when people didn't know the matchup. Ken vs Dictator is a well known hard match up for Ken, one of the worst, and still it appears here as 5/5....

But anyway, really awesome work, thank you !!!

EnsignHiro said on January 26, 2014 at 7:43 p.m.

I wish people would explain as well instead of only voting. If its 5 5 tell me why. If its 4 6, 6 4, or 7 3 explain it. Comeon guys any other time youd rip one anothers heads off with explanation s here why cant you do it now?

Rijot said on January 26, 2014 at 8:05 p.m.

There seems to be a bit weird stuff going on. Apparently I've voted 11 on the Dee Jay vs. Guy match-up.

Seoul777 said on January 26, 2014 at 8:40 p.m.

Boxer vs Guile is 3-7 in Guiles favor. Explain? Well, I can't beat very many Guiles online.. so its OBVIOUS that the matchup is in Guiles favor.

kappa

AceKombat said on January 26, 2014 at 9:29 p.m.

Surprised to see that Akuma came up as Dan's worst match-up. Personally, I felt that Guile is his worst match-up.

Cyan said on January 26, 2014 at 9:40 p.m.

Bison can't EX-kneepress through fireball from medium range and Chun Li stops all his air attempts with nj.hk or air throw.

She beats Boxer because of fireball spam into poke plus Boxer can't do any dash punch, when she has super.

Shinebox said on January 26, 2014 at 9:46 p.m.

Dakou is notorious for counterpicking. He obviously uses Ken in the Fei Long match up to give himself a challege.

Shinebox said on January 26, 2014 at 9:47 p.m.

I doubt we would even get a good explanation from the type of posts I have seen here. Some of these players think Blanka beats Ken because Ken can't throw fireballs. WTF?

Apparently Dan has no advantaged match ups but if you asked people to explain why their character wins they would have a very hard time.

holybird90 said on January 26, 2014 at 9:48 p.m.

This looks great!
I propose to calculate the average of the differences as well, or to be more accurate to compute the "standard deviation".
This will enable us to see how volatile a character is against another.
This might take more work, but is subject to time and feasibility.
In any case, current work is very promising. Thanks EH

Catalyst said on January 26, 2014 at 9:54 p.m.

Just sharing what the tiers are currently. By the time you read this, they have likely very well changed.

1. Akuma 214.2

34. Yang 181.6
35. Dhalsim 180.3
36. Dudley 180.0
37. Hakan 178.3
38. T. Hawk 173.5
39. Dan 161.2

Catalyst said on January 26, 2014 at 9:56 p.m.

Also, we're now at 38,000 tier votes.

Kijui said on January 26, 2014 at 9:56 p.m.

12 or 13 character's best MUs are Dan. A majority have him as second or third, and few others have him as a fourth or lower favorable MU or fair.

Why come Dan doesn't have ANY favorable MUs? its not fair T-T

I personally think that Dan's worse MU is against a character who can out do him fairly easily, even WITHOUT meter... I might get some opposition to this but I think Chun-Li is one of Dan's worse MUs, if not THE worse. She can easily keep him out with her normals, and sneak away when he does get in. Generally the match is easier when she has no meter, but one wrong Danku and BAM!! She now has 3 bars AND ultra, and she has TONS of ways to land both. A decent Chun-Li can keep Dan at bay, but a solid Chun can force us into the corner, where our buttons become practically useless.

Here's the gameplan for Dan-Chun footsies:
If I'm in my effective range where all my normals connect, I'm too close. If I'm right outside of HER far normal, I'm still too close. If I'm right about mid-range (a square outside of her farthest range), I'm good. To be close enough, we need to be far away. This is how we fight Chun with meter. In the corner, chun can be a huge bully to Dan, this scenario plays out very similar to Dan vs Bison, where she can be out of our range but still be close enough to hit us....

Keep in mind no match-up is impossible, but putting pressure on chun can come at a cost. Her sweep kills knee and Danku pressure

Kijui said on January 26, 2014 at 10:03 p.m.

In terms of tier, I don't care where she lands, but against Dan she's a huge bully. Her backdash is so good and recovers fast, she can even pin a sweep after to punish whatever was thrown at her. I can honestly say I fear the Chun-Li match up as much or more as I do MUs versus Honda or Guile. Two deal with reading, while two deal with reaction. The Chun-Li MU has both!

doorsofparadise said on January 26, 2014 at 11:04 p.m.

the cammy nonsense will be gone but they'll find something new to bitch about..... they always do

caruga said on January 27, 2014 at 12:05 a.m.

People are -so- going to take this as gospel.

Eternal said on January 27, 2014 at 1:37 a.m.

Man... these "tier" listing are so off of reality. Dan getting "free points" syndrome (No way is the gap between Dan and Hawk as big as the gap between Dhalsim and Ryu or Adon and Blanka lol.) Yang about 5-8 places too low because "reasons" he is so underrated. Not strong by any means but not bottom 5 or even bottom 10. He has all of the tools he needs to be competitive and will be top tier in USF4.

Makoto is laughable. I, and every other Makoto player, LAUGH at that. 30th? Hahaha. No. She is in now way worse than top 15. Amazing character.

Blanka better than Abel or Hakan? Hah no.

Gouken is too low as well. He should be about 3places higher.

bagel_bytez said on January 27, 2014 at 2:33 a.m.

Wow. No way in hell Dudley is anywhere near the bottom of a real tier list. He's a hidden gem like makoto

pants4ever said on January 27, 2014 at 3:50 a.m.

fuerteva said on January 27, 2014 at 4:04 a.m.

Most of the time I would say these kinds of things are almost wholly inaccurate, but I have to say that since my votes were only significantly different on about 8 matchups for my main character, not bad.

Remondo02 said on January 27, 2014 at 6:28 a.m.

Eternal said on January 27, 2014 at 6:31 a.m.

He DOES do damage. Try going into training mode and exploring the character instead of complaining. The problem is that Yang's METERLESS HIT CONFIRM damage is low and his individual pokes aren't great damage. His metered damage output is solid. His mixup damage output is solid. His mixup tools are great. He has a 100% safe forward moving special that he can combo into from lights OR out of it via an FADC.

Yang has a lot going for him he just is lacking in 2 key areas. His meterless damage from hit confirms is bad due to scaling (but not the worst in the game by any stretch.) and his lack of a consistent crossup other than dive kick hurts him. His damage when not using a bunch of lights to scale it is actually average or slightly above. Things like sLP - clsHP - Palm. Or sLP - clsHP - HP Slashx3 do up to 200 damage which is really good. crLP crLP crMK slash 3x is 179 damage. You know what Cody gets for crLP - crLP - crMP - MK Ruffian Kick? 176

JackgarPrime said on January 27, 2014 at 7:11 a.m.

I'm pretty comfortable where Bison's sitting here. More or less even with the entire cast, which is what it feels like when I play. But yeah, Guile's a serious uphill climb. You've got to be really smart with teleports and the flying specials to get anywhere in that match.

pants4ever said on January 27, 2014 at 7:40 a.m.

bisonoob said on January 27, 2014 at 7:51 a.m.

chun beat dictator bc she has good neutral kick and good cr HK that can beat out scissors kicks. however, as a dictator, i can easily negate those advantage. so it depends on the type of dictator u play. most dictator do lose to chun tho.

bisonoob said on January 27, 2014 at 7:55 a.m.

dan is alot better than this list implies. he has rush down and a good uppercut for defense. is his flying kick is a pain to deal with. im a B lvl dan so i know how to use him to some extent. n i do hate fighting dan bc most dans spam those kicks. i do have a counterpick tho so dont bring that dan spam in my house haha. but dan is underrated.

bisonoob said on January 27, 2014 at 7:59 a.m.

it is in guiles favor. im not gonna spoon feed ppl on the matchup cus that's something ull have to find out on ur own

Cyan said on January 27, 2014 at 8:09 a.m.

To all those freaks who say "blablabla [insert low tier char here] should be higher he is a hidden gem":

If that char had really shown that he was good, then people would have voted him higher. But if nobody loses to your scrubby Makoto then she is indeed NOT a good char at the moment. Tiers alway depend on usage and the current situation so there is no use in talking such bullcrap.

Eternal said on January 27, 2014 at 9:28 a.m.

Floe, Justin Wong, and several others have stated Yang has untapped potential and will be top tier in USF4. Floe is maining him USF4.

Yang has the 2nd fastest walk speed in the game. A kara throw, a +4F on block jab. Safe pressure tools including a special that is only -2F on block AND a true block string when canceled from a normal. A command throw. A dive kick, a 3f crLK that he can hit confirm from, a teleport, an invincible FADCable reversal, and one of the best supers in the game.

He also builds meter like a boss and that "FADC" stuff is exactly what I was talking about for his damage. He does more damage usually than Fei Long and most Fei players I've talked to are planning to switch to Yang in USF4.

Yang isn't "top tier" now and certainly got over nerfed but he is certainly better off than about 15characters or more. Dan, Hawk, Deejay, Cody, Dudley, El Fuerte, Chun, Dhalsim, Honda, Blanka, these are characters who are def weaker than Yang with several others being arguable (Abel, Vega, Juri, Hakan). I'd put Yang around where Guy is in terms of strength. Lacking but certainly not bad.

U4iA27 said on January 27, 2014 at 9:47 a.m.

Amazing work guys! Gens and Fuentes charts are very accurate (though most depressing for the latter). I've looked at 5 others that are also pretty accurate. The hard work put into this is most appreciated.

etrotman said on January 27, 2014 at 9:53 a.m.

oni_chan3000 said on January 27, 2014 at 9:57 a.m.

ty dude. dan the man is sweet, idc what the match ups are.

bagel_bytez said on January 27, 2014 at 10:26 a.m.

That sounds a lot like this comment was directed at my own comment. That's the whole point of a "hidden gem" they are rated low on the tier list, but have much more potential than anticipated. Gen, oni, Dudley, makoto, seth, etc. non of these characters were seen as being very good. Luckily a characters specialist has come around to show us different. If you think Dudley doesn't have some the of best oki in the game you gotta be kidding yourself. The problem is how suggestive these opinions are based on how people play the chararcters, not how they would fair from someone who actually utilizes their strengths properly.

If I had to put down how I left the sim gief matchup was it would look like gief 9, sim 1 base on my own experiences. Obviously matchup wise that is definitely not the case. But that's why tiers are based on theory fighting

Seoul777 said on January 27, 2014 at 10:56 a.m.

Do you sit down when you pee? Cause you TOTALLY missed my sarcasm like you miss the toilet when you stand :p Lol jk duu.

(no shots fired silly)

d (^,..,^) v

a800562 said on January 27, 2014 at 11:04 a.m.

Maybe because it is Akuma in the pic?

Tryken said on January 27, 2014 at 11:36 a.m.

This is really well done. While individual match-up or tier lists from professional players is useful, they can differ at times outside from obvious match ups. It's nice to see a widely sampled list from the community at large for what is, hopefully, a much more comprehensive go-to for match-up discussion.

Well done, Eventhubs.

pants4ever said on January 27, 2014 at 11:37 a.m.

Remondo02 said on January 27, 2014 at 2:18 p.m.

Eternal said on January 27, 2014 at 7:57 p.m.

Yeah because a character not being played or being not as good as the character you already play instantly means terrible. Just look at Makoto! Nobody plays her, she must be awful! I didn't say Yang was as good as Rufus because he isn't as good. That doesn't mean he isn't better than about 10-15 characters in the game.

I even asked over on SRK and not one Yang player stated they believed he was bottom 5 or even bottom 10. They believed he is underrated but that there is no real reason to play him over Yun (who is a top 10 character.)

Sol_Goodguy said on January 27, 2014 at 8:22 p.m.

I can't wait to wreak havoc on some whiners with a bottom tier Cammy in USF4. Keep complaining guys, that'll help you learn the matchup... muahaha >:D

LunaSlave said on January 27, 2014 at 9:05 p.m.

Teapo said on January 27, 2014 at 9:10 p.m.

I'm so glad I actually looked at this story again. You took that so personally after I said many people and pointed out one example which happened to be you.

My views on matchups will be different than other people as well. I get to play different people than you who are better with different characters. Almost nobody on here has "character specialist on top level" vs somebody of similar ability experience. A ton of people on here admit to having only online play which notoriously throws out some aspects of the game. My apologies for not making a huge list of every single person who has said something a bit extreme about a character.

Anywho, glad you could have so many people tell you about all the top players saying Yang is far from bottom 5 and large communities saying the same. Hopefully this will encourage you to at least reexamine your reasoning. We're all entitled to an opinion and all allowed to choose how we reason it.

Smorgasboard said on January 27, 2014 at 9:37 p.m.

There are plenty of Yang players in Japan. There was even an all yang team that did quite well. Look it up.

Count said on January 28, 2014 at 12:33 a.m.

Deejay beats Cammy? LMAO

realityisugly said on January 28, 2014 at 1:52 a.m.

Wot? Yang can has Kara throw? First I've heard, last I checked he didnt have one worth mentioning. You sure you not talking about 3S?

His super is crap. I think he has much better uses for a full stick of butter. I only use it to show off + resets if I see the opponent let go of the stick for lulz.

He will be much better in USF4 but as of now, it just feels you dont get much reward off reads, setups (because they mostly dont exist), and knockdowns because his divekick aint as cool as his bro's. The only way to do big damage is through gimmicks and resets (with a nerfed command throw no less) when most of the other cast has so many awesome set plays off a throw or untechable move. Nerfing his crossup really killed it for him.

Codech64 said on January 28, 2014 at 2:33 a.m.

Best of Birds...look him up on youtube.

Eternal said on January 28, 2014 at 4:11 a.m.

"His super is crap. I think he has much better uses for a full stick of butter."

These are two totally separate statements. Just because a character has better uses for their meter doesn't make their super bad. It's that same kind of logic that makes people believe Yang is one of the worst characters in the game just because he isn't nearly as good as Yun.

Yang's super is easily in the top 10 best supers. Up there with Ryu, Chun, Yun, Gen, Akuma, THawk and Zangief. Honestly I can't think of any other characters who I'd say those 7 are the only characters who have supers as good (or in some cases better) than Yang. His Super can rack up 380-400+ damage. His super can grant a ton of corner carry. It does a lot of chip damage even after the nerf from AE (in AE he could do 300+ CHIP damage alone.) it has opportunities for resets galore, and it is a great timer scam as you can keep a person locked down for a little over 6 seconds in blockstun or a combo. Is it better to go for EX moves and FADCs? Most certainly. But that doesn't make his Super not good, it makes his other options better.

His kara throw isn't exceptional but it's passable. It's as good as Cody / Guy / Ryu's kara throw but on a character with one of the fastest walk speeds in the game.

All of your complaints boil down to "Well it's not as good as XYZ" but that doesn't mean Yang doesn't have things going for him. Just because he isn't as good top 10 character Yun doesn't make him worthless. You wouldn't use the same logic for Ken/Ryu because they aren't as good as Akuma.

SgtKonus said on January 28, 2014 at 5:44 a.m.

I would argue that Ibuki vs Zangief is 5-5 and Bison should be 7-3 imo, when he wants to act stupid, there isn't much Ibuki can do to stop him.
Great stuff Eventhubs!

Jevali said on January 28, 2014 at 6:02 a.m.

when its showing: char a vs char b. its a bit hard to read as its in vote order. should probably be in matchup ratio order. (even better, a sexy bar graph or something oooooh)

realityisugly said on January 28, 2014 at 7:31 a.m.

Didnt say he was unplayable, in fact i do play and win a fair bit with him. Stop being biased. AE 2012 favours set plays and is a OS heavy environment at the highest levels, sadly Yang lacks very much in this department. Risk/reward on his plays dont come out too highly in his favour.

Yang's super sucks. Why? Because it requires meter which he needs for mixups and fadc combos which net him the damage he needs. Because it is not like all the other fire and forget supers which require minimal execution for the same or higher amount of damage (i.e. Honda cr jab into hands into super.). Because any damage upward of 400-600 damage requires specific corner/point blank palm into super and requires you not to drop a 1 frame link multiple times. Because any dp/reversal masher will beat your reset, and you WILL be pressing buttons and not blocking. Because even though Seiei enbu is in your top 10 list, Genei jin will definitely be on your top 5 by that logic. And the combos in Genei jin are brain dead and require half the execution, netting same or more damage (did I forget to mention you can tack a U1 at the start of it? Outrageous!)

Corner carry? A simple bnb combo takes the opponent halfway across the screen. You dont need super for corner carry. His second best super string is done midscreen (cl hp x lk teleport).

And when you say his other options are better, means his super really has no business wasting his meter unless its for the shiz and giggles.

Anyway, like I said. He will be better in USF4 when he gets his cross up back. I am looking forward to that.

mrdrofficer said on January 28, 2014 at 9:49 a.m.

Try that match with Honda or a character that can't teleport or jump in. THAT's tough.

mrdrofficer said on January 28, 2014 at 9:52 a.m.

I cannot believe how much people underestimate Dhalsim! He's top ten EASILY. People are voting like they run over that character for free. Show me someone who is confident against a good Dhalsim and I will show you a liar.

Chun too for that matter. But she's not as near the bottom.

mrdrofficer said on January 28, 2014 at 9:57 a.m.

Sagat destroys fools. Gouken and Honda are that terrible. Guile and Bison rape a lot of the cast. Oni and ERyu is a wash so ... whatever. Balrog is top ten easily. Vega beats most of the other charge characters.

I feel I just walked into troll bait.