Tekken Revolution hits 2.5 million downloads in slightly over 6 months, triple experience points for players for a limited time as a celebration

Posted by MajinTenshinhan
January 25, 2014 at 10:06 a.m. PST

Tekken Revolution, Namco-Bandai's downloadable free-to-play version of Tekken, has reached 2.5 million downloads since its release on June 11th of 2013, reports Siliconera.

In celebration of this milestone, Namco-Bandai are offering some incentives for the players currently invested in this latest Tekken installment. Hit the jump to find out what they are.

Namco-Bandai's way of saying thanks is to offer players who log in between January 28th and January 31st a Premium Ticket for each of these days they log in, as a present. Also, players who are below level 50 in the game will receive triple the normal amount of experience while playing between January 28th and February 4th.

They'll also be giving away 50,000 fight money for each daily login between January 30th and February 4th. Finally, there'll be a special Mokujin Rush course during this period, as well.

Will the upcoming Soul Calibur: Lost Swords be as successful? Only time will tell, but let us know your thoughts on the matter in the comments.

Thanks to Blackoshinomi and an anonymous tipster for sending this in.

Source: Siliconera.

Comments

Sadisticcupid said on January 25, 2014 at 10:09 a.m.

Love me some mokujin rush

J said on January 25, 2014 at 10:31 a.m.

Buy TTT2.

RunnersKnee said on January 25, 2014 at 11:08 a.m.

Still have no offline-versus. Idgaf if they won't include a no-upgrade filter for ranked matches but still...

Wardog said on January 25, 2014 at 11:12 a.m.

Especially when its 20$ brand new.

F_Groove said on January 25, 2014 at 11:17 a.m.

Why oh why didn't Namco do this with TTT2 instead?? That would've been a potential 2.5 mil TTT2 player base that could've been established using the f2p model. Interest in TTT2 streams might've gone up too.

SoftShocks said on January 25, 2014 at 11:18 a.m.

Releasing Eliza for a decent price would be better.

Azureneedle said on January 25, 2014 at 12:12 p.m.

Time to get paid.

FalsoL said on January 25, 2014 at 12:39 p.m.

Thanks TR for keep away casuals kids and rage quitters from TTT2

LarenzW said on January 25, 2014 at 1:24 p.m.

I met 5 scrubs and 4 rage quitters, lol on ttt2.

darthvenom said on January 25, 2014 at 1:27 p.m.

I'll stick with TTT2 thanks.

Galletano said on January 25, 2014 at 1:32 p.m.

Contratz Namco! wish i could use this game, is not that i lack of a PS is that my connection is horrible for online gaming so i stay free of the online environment for the sake of everyone.

HooliganComboFTW said on January 25, 2014 at 1:36 p.m.

Prefered this over TTT2 because the game felt more similiar to the older Tekken titles which I preferred.

Game just needs some further polish though.

htownboss23 said on January 25, 2014 at 1:44 p.m.

We not buying tekken tag 2 so give it a rest

gohan16ken said on January 25, 2014 at 2:04 p.m.

TxSF

Karinist said on January 25, 2014 at 2:27 p.m.

TTT2 is nearly 3 years old...
Everyone who wanted it, has it.

And screw Capcom characters, give Tekken 7 instead.

Echo01 said on January 25, 2014 at 2:44 p.m.

I highly doubt SC:LS will perform this well.

Antstarr said on January 25, 2014 at 2:58 p.m.

I prefer this to TTT2. Bouncing bound opponents everywhere just seem a bit cluttered....

GiBGUN said on January 25, 2014 at 3:24 p.m.

Really enjoyed this before I sold my ps3. Looking forward to seeing what Capcom's F2P Fighting Game will be like when it comes out a couple years from now or whenever it does.

Smorgasboard said on January 25, 2014 at 6:34 p.m.

This game gotta be at EVO.

TrueGamingGuru said on January 25, 2014 at 7:36 p.m.

Looking forward to what this game has to offer. "Will SC: Lost Swords be as successful?" I wouldn't be too sure if it will be successful or not, because so far this game got a Beta release (in Japan) & is getting released in Feb, and I think most players wouldn't even give SC: Lost Swords a try all because the fact that its a Single Player Fighter Game.

@J

What purpose would there be to even buy TTT2? To be quite honest what Tekken Revolution offers is what TTT2 doesn't have for certain content. (nor TTT2 will even get new updates or DLC) There are plenty of players would play this game rather than TTT2 for reasons these players would have. just saying

@F_Groove

Lets just say that F2P for fighter games wasn't an idea during TTT2 development nor the year of 2012. Part of Tekken Revolution was to introduce new players to Tekken, which part of TTT2 didn't meet sales expectations back in 2012. I think for F2P standards with Namco mostly involves making an original game, and not in a style on how DOA5: Core Fighters was made. (which is a F2P ver. of DOA5: Ultimate) Harada wouldn't like the idea of having players to pay for characters, (like with the DLC) and would he even be ok following what DOA & Killer Instinct were doing when it came to separate versions?

@Smorgasboard

Having Tekken Revolution at EVO would be an interesting idea, but the problem would be is the fact that you need online access in order to play Tekken Revolution, & this game currently doesn't have a VS. Mode. (unless if EVO decide to use Player Matches, which Online is needed) Chances for this game at EVO is very slim.

Wardog said on January 25, 2014 at 8:21 p.m.

@gaming Guru

Actually to your response to J is kinda wrong. Let's break it down...

"What purpose would there be to even buy TTT2?"

TTT2 comes with the full package (offline modes and VS) and don't have half of the roster lock up/ having to grind or pay out the pocket.

"Part of Tekken Revolution was to introduce new players to Tekken"

That can go both ways.... this could mean bringing in people to test out the early stage mechanics of X street fighter (which it is) or they can be just trying to make a quick buck. This won't bring in new players in Tekken series cause the game plays different from the main Tekken( cause TR got easy inputs & new mechanic).... that's like saying Capcom "SFxT was to introduce new players into the SF series" which that would be a lie cause they're two totally different play style and mechanics. Which will fool new comers

"which part of TTT2 didn't meet sales expectations back in 2012"

Actually it did good. but like you said it didn't reach Namco high expectations and they should be happy they had made enough cause they brought the game out when fighting games was coming out of the wood works and people started to get burn out with fighting games (PA4, VF5, DOA5, etc) and didn't want to learn new stuff all over again, especially Tekken.

"There are plenty of players would play this game rather than TTT2"

The main reason most play this game besides its being free (which it isn't to a certain degree) and the New character.... its because it don't have bound mode on there heavy like T6 and Tag 2, I ask a lot of people especially the vets and they all agree that, the only reason they play because it feels like T5 again besides this dumb new mechanics and some people who don't like Tag 2 that much cause they always in a 1 death touch bound combo and don't want to learn 2 characters at the same time.

TrueGamingGuru said on January 25, 2014 at 9:07 p.m.

The reason I asked "What purpose would there be to even buy TTT2?" was the stuff you've already mention which was the new character Eliza, & it doesn't have the bound combo like Tekken 6 & TTT2.
Another reason some players would play this game was that they can have an actual 1v1 match when in TTT2 does have a 1v1, but there is almost little to no way to have just a 1v1 match because in most of the Single Player modes it will mostly random 2 opponents even if the player is fighting solo or most players will end up choosing 2 characters while another player choose 1 character. There just isn't a 1v1 Mode. (like TTT1) Plus Tekken Revolution just doesn't play the same as TTT2, besides the removed Bound Combos & playing like older Tekken games there was even the Character Enchantments. (similar to part of SCIV Customization/Gem system & other RPG games.)

Part of introducing new players, came from part of an interview that Harada mentioned when it came to Tekken Revolution, (also TXSF) and part of the stuff you mention can also mean this is a testing ground for TXSF. When it comes to the whole bring new players into the Tekken series is pretty plausible, depending on their interest.

I know TTT2 did good for sale-wise, (mostly each month) reason I said didn't meet sales expectations had to do with what Namco expectations were. The sales expectations were suppose to be 2 million units, (similar to SFXT sales expectation) but were some where around the 1 million units. (Which part of sales I've forgot a little) Honestly most people didn't want to learn new stuff to begin with, and certain people avoided or didn't play this game because of its steep movelist/mechanics from TTT2 and went to play other genre games. (remember part of IGN or Gamespot's reviews)

To quite honest when it came to gamer's choice sometimes the one game with full content, isn't enough of a reason to play that certain game in the first place if you know what I mean.

Dimensional said on January 25, 2014 at 9:53 p.m.

I got this game for Eliza but those unlock requirements are ridiculous I have ranked up a fair bit with 70 online wins and numerous arcade clears and I still only have around 3000 Blood points and I got about 1000 of those from the promotion on this weekend by using lots of stored up premium tickets and why is my level 19 character constantly put against level 50+ opposition its so annoying when I have to work so much harder against someone who should be better than me anyway just for a win.

I have just ordered TTT2 since I am enjoying playing as Asuka its the first time I have really enjoyed Tekken since Tekken 2 so I am glad I gave the series a rest.

Anyway Harada I dont care about cash or gift points just allow me to buy Eliza or have a better event to get bloodpoints its going to take me months of playing just to unlock her as I dont get much time to do so and as for the extra costumes there is no way I will ever get them the game will be dead before I get anywhere near the points needed.

Hopefully she is in Tekken 7. Im not going to spend money on this game though (unless I can buy Eliza) I prefer the buy a game and you have a game model.

Soul Calibur is my favourite fighting series but they treat it like crap in comparison to Tekken I will download Lost Swords but with no Vs mode I just have no real incentive to play or get better just bring out SC6 already and have a decent cast and single player this time to add to the excellent multiplayer of V not a single player that replaces it.

Oh and the netcode for SC2 just what the hell is that? geez give the series some respect.

TrueGamingGuru said on January 25, 2014 at 10:37 p.m.

I think part of the problem when it comes to unlocking Eliza isn't 100% the requirement for Blood Points, its actually how much you gain from winning like using regular coins would be very random (like one time in Arcade Mode I actually earned 1 Blood Point & that is very sad) & Premium Tokens/Tickets didn't really help much when you would gain like 10 points or more (even a special event was like 50, that is not enough) the only time these tokens/tickets are useful were the Mokujin Rush & you gain more Blood Points than what modes even offer.

I don't think the Tekken Team would allow Eliza as a character that players can buy. (unless if they decided on adding it as a patch) I think what should be done is make the Blood Points more rewarding than what you get random Blood Point numbers (1 Blood Point is pathetic) , 10, or 50. It should've been around 1,000 or even better make the reward 2,500.

Maybe will see Eliza in future Tekken games who knows.

bojack13 said on January 26, 2014 at 12:14 a.m.

Without buying anything or glitches it'll take 3 1/2 months to unlock Eliza. You'll average 200 Blood Seals a day if you run through 2 arcades and 6 onlines 4 times a day. At this point you may think this is bull because you just got a few 100's or 50's. Congratulations but unfortunately this isn't the norm and all the 1's, 5's, and 10's you'll get will balance this out eventually. Special events that give Blood Seals cost premium tickets or coins so again, if you're not gonna pay or didn't get to glitch don't count on these events to be of any help.

Cosmo26 said on January 26, 2014 at 12:17 a.m.

It's actually 2.85 M...Harada confirmed it on twitter
Not bad for a f2p and ps3 exclusive title

OhYouDontSayThat said on January 26, 2014 at 4:16 a.m.

I feel like a lot of ppl forgot that Namco is contractually obligated to make tekken vs. street fighter. papers were signed. And I'm pretty excited to see how it'll turn out

Smorgasboard said on January 26, 2014 at 4:36 a.m.

Tournaments that require online have been done before. It's not something new.

Grevier said on January 26, 2014 at 5:17 a.m.

I don't remember spamming invulnerability moves in old Tekkens

damo69 said on January 26, 2014 at 6:15 a.m.

2.5 million may seem like an impressive number bet how many people are making the in app purchases. Giving something away getting people to pay are 2 very different things.

Wardog said on January 26, 2014 at 6:59 a.m.

I think he meant it don't have bound and its 1v1.

Diablowarrior said on January 26, 2014 at 8:02 a.m.

Real talk screw this game ever time I play and someone rage quits I get affected and its really pissing me off I can't help people can play the game but I get punished come one namco Jesus

TrueGamingGuru said on January 26, 2014 at 9:01 a.m.

Ok, I guess if EVO does use online for tournaments. All there is left is EVO approving Tekken Revolution, and heck Player Matches got everything they need to make Tournaments. All there is left is to see the list of games for EVO.

orochi_kyo said on January 26, 2014 at 11:14 a.m.

2.5 millions of downloads for a free game is a failure, lol. 2.5 millions of downloads doesnt mean 2.5 millions of people playing.
I rather prefer to see some paid Tekken tournament than this free thing.

RDLee said on January 26, 2014 at 1:21 p.m.

I'm one of those 2.5 million people, but I don't think I've played more than 30 games. I didn't even try Eliza.
TTT2 on the other hand, I'm still playing it.

DarkFlare07 said on January 26, 2014 at 7:31 p.m.

Tekken rev was okay but its pretty stupid to drop support of their main game for this. 2 weeks after ttt2 released the support for it was dropped and they didnt even bother to balance the game out.

This has caused me to lose faith in namco and harada and I wont be supporting their crap in the future.

tidestick said on January 26, 2014 at 7:52 p.m.

Man your weak. Instead of earning Eliza you wanna be a puss and just buy her. I rather like what they did to unlock her. Capcom would like to sell you some characters. I'm grinding out matches every day. Right now I'm at 8000 bloodleaves.

Grevier said on January 27, 2014 at 1:57 a.m.

I know, it's just that's acontinue spamfest in that game...

Wardog said on January 27, 2014 at 8:03 a.m.

oh, yeah. I hate that new feature.lol