Taking it to the next level - This UMvC3 video shows you how to get Frank West to level 4 without the use of meter, TAC, THC or X-Factor

Posted by Nicholas 'MajinTenshinhan' Taylor • January 25, 2014 at 6:58 a.m. PST

If you're a fan of using Frank West in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, then this here is a video for you.

In this video, you'll find good ways to get to Level 4 with Frank West without having to burn meter, use TAC, THC or X-Factor, and instead through creative use of assists. Perhaps there's a team setup here that matches yours?

Hit the jump to check the video out.

This video comes courtesy of GameLink7.

Thanks to GameLink7 for sending this in.

Comments

Shinkutatsumaki said on January 25, 2014 at 7:13 a.m.

Wow simple yet effective. Also, great choice of music.

:D

EnsignHiro said on January 25, 2014 at 7:18 a.m.

I thought the combos had to be much higher to level him up that high

DarkCyclone said on January 25, 2014 at 7:32 a.m.

Was expecting something a little more creative

It was basically just Combo > Assist 1 + Camera > Relaunch combo > Assist 2 + Camera > Camera, rinse and repeat but with different assists

Terraryzing said on January 25, 2014 at 7:36 a.m.

kinda useless, why would you wanna have frank on point with crazy teammates like chun or ironfist ?

not hating but pointless

Kenmasters101 said on January 25, 2014 at 7:54 a.m.

Musik!!!

JELIFISH19 said on January 25, 2014 at 8:02 a.m.

The pictures add up. In the first combo, he took a picture when it was 7 hits, then another when it was 23, and the last when it was 27. That's 7+23+27=57. It only takes 50 hits to get to level 4.

Chronoless said on January 25, 2014 at 8:12 a.m.

Nice video, but my problem with a Frank West team is... you are trying to level up with 1 combos, where as the top teams are are a I'll kill you in 1 combos team

FoShizzle93 said on January 25, 2014 at 8:15 a.m.

I've been doing this for a while now with Skrull's Stone Smite, and Dormammu's Dark Hole. It really is simple and effective like #1 said, and it does a decent amount of damage as well. I would've shown this earlier, but my HDPVR doesn't work properly. However, I am glad someone decided to show just how easy it is to get level 4 Frank. With the right assists, you can also get level 5 instantaneously.

worldfinest22 said on January 25, 2014 at 9:01 a.m.

I like this cause if someone is smart they can take something from this and put their on spin on it, like it's a learning tool to what can be done. When people don't try new things a tier list stands still. Didn't spiral climb the tier list in mvc2 after all the magneto team was dominating. James Chen and Ultra David had said on stream that mvc22 isn't done yet cause there are to many combinations that can be made. I think this game has enough combination to change up the tier list.

pants4ever said on January 25, 2014 at 9:15 a.m.

iMTopTier said on January 25, 2014 at 9:26 a.m.

it is just an example
believe me it is not useless beause i play Frank/Hsien-Ko/Taskmaster and have a lot of instant Lv4 combos with no bar

one of those combos does like 720k with one bar
but it is easier to have Frank second like everybody else lol

GameLink7 said on January 25, 2014 at 9:53 a.m.

Thanks everyone for your replies so far. Like what others have said these are examples that you can use, mix and match, and maybe you'll find one that works with your team. For instance, that first combo is my actual main team, where both assists aren't useless outside of leveling up Frank (though I rarely need call out assists otherwise anyways). I was going to also show that you can Super after the 3rd camera flash, leading to a very high damaging combo (but just made room for a little extra text in). Not all of these are viable (majority are just random characters I paired up who have the ability to do said combo), but it gives people an idea on how to get Frank to Level 4 easily.

Sure it's basic, but with that said it should be easy for people to pick up and do... and even enhance it! If this video can help at least one person, then I'll be satisfied.

~GL

ps- it was also really fun to be able to see and use assists you normally never see~ also with this, I've gotten better myself for playing Frank as Level 1 to get that hit in.

Death_by_Saikyo said on January 25, 2014 at 10:03 a.m.

Glad I'm not good at this game so I can still enjoy these type of videos.

iMTopTier said on January 25, 2014 at 11:02 a.m.

@17 and 18 that's why i play Frank on point though

StarWolf27 said on January 25, 2014 at 11:09 a.m.

This video is cool but ain't nobody trying to use chun li and god know hsein ko at the expense of leveling up Frank. I'll stick with using meter

Druggzbunny said on January 25, 2014 at 11:16 a.m.

@19 I use Frank on point sometimes too, he has good health and with the right assists it's easier to land a hit. Marvel is all about using the most braindead characters though so I understand if many people can't cut it with him at level 1.

metaf4 said on January 25, 2014 at 12:11 p.m.

And yet nobody did it before this guy? Funny how less is more. Being flashy and boring will win you more games than burning meter and THCing all day just to get the same result..

BTW...hes using different assist just to show the ignorant masses out there that will think that it can only be done with the characters he shows the combo with in the demonstration. This way, NOBODY will be like...oh that combo sucks..it only works with Super Skrull and Virgil..etc. ( Perfect example: StarWolf27 #20 )Remember unlike this guy in the vid, Lots of people out there don't actually go in the lab and actually master their craft. They rely on Eventhubs, FAQs, Forums or SRK to tell them how to play and what is the way they should play...It takes a vid like this 1 year later for these ignorant readers to find out a simple combo to gain levels?!? Pretty sad, and just goes to show what a little time in the training room can do...other than watching YouTube vids all day, to learn a simple tactic. sigh..

iMTopTier said on January 25, 2014 at 1:41 p.m.

Hsien-Ko is my secret weapon to level up Frank she works perfect with him and if you want to waste a bar you can do her gold armor then raw tag to Frank again

iMTopTier said on January 25, 2014 at 1:43 p.m.

yeah i know what you;re saying
if you don't pick top tier nobody will take you serious

Paradonyx said on January 25, 2014 at 4:23 p.m.

How is this news? This is day 1 stuff with Frank West. Not hating, just dissapointed.

mrsleeps said on January 25, 2014 at 4:45 p.m.

i love on how every post theres these comment monsters that think they know it all and all they do is bash EH or the video itsself,

first of all the reason you are a comment monster is because your not good enough to get sponsored, second if you have a better site or can produce better content then open your own site, why you come to EH every day to bash videos and people is beyond me grow up or get a life which ever one comes first.

Now the video is just there to demonstrate how simple it can be to get frank to level 4, yes this is simple and not hard at all but not everybody knows about it. Not everybody is 13 years old and has time to surf every fighting game page, youtube channel stream etc. some people learned stuff from this video from what the reason the purpose of the video is for.

I guess ill never understand why people think there the best at everything at the comments section. oh well

Paradonyx said on January 25, 2014 at 5:18 p.m.

Nice rant. You done, champ?

DontTaseMeBro said on January 25, 2014 at 7:55 p.m.

Why does the video have so many dislikes?

DarkCyclone said on January 26, 2014 at 4:24 a.m.

LOL, you are really gonna go the "some people have a life route"? Dude don't even bother. No offense to the video maker but I can't go round releasing day 1 tech, then if there's any criticism, I reply with "well of course you lifeless idiots know about it, but someone, somewhere I'm sure doesn't which invalidates your opinion"

Camera relaunch combos involving high hitstun assists will lead to more camera opportunities and higher levels. It should be common knowledge to anyone who's been playing or following the game even semi-seriously. The real issue though is that this isn't very practical, getting a clean hit vs anyone decent with Lvl 1 Frank without using assists wont happen. Passing off impractical tech as useful is as bad for newcomers as anything

So yeah your attempts at coming across as heroic or badass have failed. Negative feedback is most certainly more helpful than positive feedback. Especially if the feedback is valid. Now if the creator makes a similar vid of practical confirms like assist confirms and throws, it will be seen as more helpful especially for newcomers, otherwise you can't pretend it's truly helpful for anyone

emc said on January 26, 2014 at 4:57 p.m.
emc said on January 26, 2014 at 5:04 p.m.

and thor/frank stuff too

GameLink7 said on January 26, 2014 at 8:15 p.m.

Looks great, were these submitted to EH previously? (Also love the FFVI music~)

People wonder why things make the front page: just submit it. If there's good tech that you think that will be more beneficial to everyone, I encourage you to submit it. I'd love to see diversity in this game, learning tech that others might not know. People still get amazed when I do this in matches, and I've been wanting to post it for a LONG time: but haven't been able to do so until recently.

So thank you for posting more informative Frank videos, I hope people can see these as well and hope it levels up their game.

~GL

Paradonyx said on January 26, 2014 at 9:23 p.m.

why are you posting your initials?

DestinyZX1 said on January 27, 2014 at 8:54 a.m.

I rely on Dante and Tron to help out but I may give it a shot. I'll do some tests to see.

SirKenjamin said on January 27, 2014 at 9:10 a.m.

Why do I bother to read these asinine comments?

mrsleeps said on January 29, 2014 at 4:25 p.m.

Darkclone, actually it is practical, Theres multiple situations that this can occur, first of all frank can get snapped in, wouldn't that make it practical?????

second there are actual viable frank point teams if you don't know go do your research.

also who are you to judge what is practical and what isn't? Are you a top player? didn't think so, What because if justin wong or somebody well known says it is or isn't practical? Go ask him, he'll tell you if its practical, The more ways you know to level up frank west the better frank west you will be, Obvioulsy there are better ways to level him up but this is good to know in the back pocket?.

also who are you to judge if this is helpful to people or not. Maybe it wasn't helpful to you but it may have been helpful to others. Thats what you don't understand buddy. This website isn't to help "top l33t super duper online warrior players" its to help everybody, newcomers, novice, amature, professional, legend, Everybody.

I don't mind people giving there inputs about the video, but constructive criticism is better then saying "old first week tech useless stupid Event hubs posts" just make you sound immature and ignorant.