Ivy officially announced as Soul Calibur: Lost Swords' next combatant, new screenshots and trailer - PS3 release slated for February 6

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • January 21, 2014 at 9:05 a.m. PST
Soul Calibur: Lost Swords was originally expected to hit consoles last year, but was delayed so that more time could be spent on developing the game. It appears that Namco Bandai has been living up to this statement, as another character has been officially announced, and is set to be playable on the roster.

The whip-wielding wonder-woman, Ivy, will be entering the Soul Calibur: Lost Swords battlefield. A brand new trailer was released to coincide with her announcement, along with multiple screenshots and her official artwork.

Additionally, Namco shows off some new modes in SCLS, including a tutorial, a quest that pits you against skeletons of varying sizes, and a feature that allows you to bring up the command list mid-battle.

Below are some of the screens to get you started, and hit the jump for more images, and the trailer.

Click images for larger versions

Soul Calibur: Lost Swords, Namco Bandai's free-to-play, weapon-based fighter, is set to hit PlayStation 3 in Japan on February 6 of this year.

Source: 4gamer, Siliconera and Namco Bandai Japan.

Comments

Lordd_G said on January 21, 2014 at 9:15 a.m.

"A tale of souls and swords, single-playerly told."

Smorgasboard said on January 21, 2014 at 9:18 a.m.

Are single player games still fighting games?

Lordd_G said on January 21, 2014 at 9:20 a.m.

If you play arcade mode of SFIV by yourself, is it not still a fighting game? Does a bear sh!t in the woods?

Jaaj301 said on January 21, 2014 at 9:42 a.m.

Yay! Because we care about this game!

FalsoL said on January 21, 2014 at 9:58 a.m.

when I was child does not exist online game and my brother and my friends don't care about fighting games. So all fighting games was SC lost swords for me. That's mi sad story.

Specta said on January 21, 2014 at 10:09 a.m.

Which is why: NEVER AGAIN.

jaysenedwinward said on January 21, 2014 at 10:09 a.m.

I don't know why this made me laugh oh so very hard. I am sorry if it was not meant in jest.

Bigbrook said on January 21, 2014 at 10:18 a.m.

Nice beav shot😋😋

SoftShocks said on January 21, 2014 at 10:32 a.m.

Cute, but when's Soulcal 6 or Soul Edge two?

Gruntside said on January 21, 2014 at 10:43 a.m.

It's because his pic went perfect with it lol

Dimensional said on January 21, 2014 at 10:53 a.m.

Soul Calibur is probably my favourite fighting game franchise but I find it hard to get excited about playing this when I know I will never be able to test myself against anyone else it just kills my desire to get better, just bring out SC6 or SE2 instead and dont butcher the single player and cast like in V but keep the awesome online instead of that atrocious code they used for SC2 online.

xShonuffx said on January 21, 2014 at 11:24 a.m.

The fact that it IS a fighting game is moot. The problem I have is why as a competitive focused community do we care about a single player fighting game? I've been bashed a number of time for voicing my opinion but I stand firm in my belief that this really should not be a topic of coverage. Period.

I do not agree with making this a single player game nor do I believe we as Soul Calibur fans should support this, especially after the last two horrible Soul Calibur games. I feel we deserve better, at least something of the likes of Tekken Revolution.

And let me be clear. I'm a BIG Soul caliber fan and what makes this game fun is two player versus, even if its locally.

FightDirty said on January 21, 2014 at 11:35 a.m.

I'm a SC fan but I just don't see the point in this game. I wish them the best though.

riku45 said on January 21, 2014 at 11:46 a.m.

I don't see the problem with it being single player. If people are dead set on local play just play sc5 :) it will probably be like sc5 but with a strong single player focus. I hope it plays like the weapon master mode from sc2.

patrikstar3 said on January 21, 2014 at 11:53 a.m.

Yep I definitely agree with you there. After going back to the basics with SCV, now they want to go ONLY singleplayer with this new one? I guess that means no 2-player on one console and more focus on online(?) play. So I'm guessing the netcode must be really good. But with SC as the first fighting game I grew up being competitive with... I don't know whether I should be excited or disappointed.

On a good note though, as an Ivy main (who despises her SCV version) those chain links are pretty cool... Not possible in SCV, so I'm wowed. I guess, I get a great Ivy (with combos she should have had in SCV) at the cost of never being able to play against my competitive SC friends on the same TV/PS3.

:\

bojack13 said on January 21, 2014 at 1:44 p.m.

Wish they'd go back to SC2 Ivy, or at least SC4. SC5 Ivy is her worst iteration, gameplay-wise.

roknin said on January 21, 2014 at 1:48 p.m.

I really, really try not to be a Negative Nancy about anything, but maaaaaaan... I cannot get over my wish that this was 2p vs. Like, I'm still holding out some long-lost hope that when it launches they'll "flip a switch" after a week or so and say "okay, two player is done and patched in now... have fun guys!"

Or maybe at the very least, SCV gets some sort of expansion with more returning characters (or at least new characters using returning styles.. still no Talim, ugh). Or something.

Making SC single-player only still makes no sense to me, but then again I'm not a shareholder or a business guy so maybe I just don't have the wherewithal to see it.

G0dmqsteR said on January 21, 2014 at 2:17 p.m.

No jiggle, no buy

SnakeX said on January 21, 2014 at 2:43 p.m.

I'm with ya'. I pretty much NEVER make posts like these, but don't see the reason to have this covered when it's not a competitive game at all. I too love Soul Calibur as it's always been my favorite 3D fighting game series, but you're right; a single player game that is targeted solely towards the casual crowd doesn't really fit Event Hubs. I mean if there was a chance that Lost Swords would get versus or multiplayer then sure, but unfortunately Namco has been pretty clear that this is going to stay a single player game...

Ninjagoon said on January 21, 2014 at 3:07 p.m.

I always loved the arcade mode and Weapon Master in sc2 and Chronicles of the Swords in sc3. Why can't they just do that again? ever since the launch of sc2 online i've been enjoying arcade and weapon master mode all over again. When they make sc6, It would help ALOT imo that they add a good thought out single player experience. nothing like that tower in sc4 or the really horrible story mode in sc5 (i'll give a A for effort though). I think fighting games should have some form of a story mode whether it be visual novel style like blazblue or like the arcade mode in sc3. Something worthwhile for people to play by themselves.

Xykes said on January 21, 2014 at 3:38 p.m.

Why are you people always so eager to exclude stuff?

"Smash isn't a fighting game!"
"Lost Swords isn't a fighting game!"
"Blah blah isn't a fighting game"

Shut up. If you don't like a game, then don't read the article. It has absolutely no negative effect on you. It's not like the front page has been flooded with Lost Swords articles.

This is a spin-off of a major fighting game franchise, using the exact same engine. That's all the relevance you need.

You people sound like a elitist country club trying to exclude people that don't exactly look like you...when in reality, you have much more commonalities than differences.

ShiroiKaze said on January 21, 2014 at 3:50 p.m.

I wouldn't say it has absolutely no negative effects. If this single player f2p Soul Calibur makes more money than SCV did, it could mean a change in direction for the series. If they really cared about the fans, they would have finished SCV and not put out a 3/4 finished game.

When DLC characters started to get introduced to fighting games, it made a lot of money... then we get hosed with games like Street Fighter x Tekken. Free to Play is about to take over next.

Sadisticcupid said on January 21, 2014 at 4:19 p.m.

Yep, all because they had to make her "noob" friendly smh

KombatNerd said on January 21, 2014 at 6:33 p.m.

"whip-wielding wonder-woman"

Oh you. lol

Smorgasboard said on January 21, 2014 at 9:22 p.m.

Maybe I missed something, but I was under the impression that this game has no pvp online or offline. It's pretty much vs cpu only.

SF wouldn't be what it is today without pvp.

Else might as well cover other games like KOF online, devil may cry, project X zone, any avengers game, Hearthstone, and etc just because it has some connection to a fighting game.

Smorgasboard said on January 21, 2014 at 9:27 p.m.

And chess. Should definitely cover more chess over here.

TrueGamingGuru said on January 22, 2014 at 10:39 a.m.

Have you even saw the beta gameplay of Soulcalibur Lost Swords anyway? Just because its a Single Player only game, that doesn't determine whether its a fighting game or not. The gameplay should be the only thing that matters. This Single Player game still plays like almost every other fighter game that SC games have been in the past.

You should be better off not asking on what Eventhubs should cover or not, & you'd be better off not asking yourself what is a fighter game or not. Just accept the fact that SC Lost Swords is on Eventhubs topic, no questions asked.

By the way just because Devil May Cry, Avengers, or Hearthstone has some connection to a fighting game doesn't mean it started off as fighter games. Games like Devil May Cry belong to the hack 'n slash genre, Avengers would be part of any genre (since Marvel isn't a gaming company to begin with), & that Hearthstone game is just a card game. Chess is not an actual videogame nor part of the fighter genre.

PS. Project X Zone already gotten covered in Eventhubs, it didn't much news.

TrueGamingGuru said on January 22, 2014 at 10:50 a.m.

Almost every FGC website would still cover this single player fighter game, for certain players that are interested. If you think Eventhubs is competitive focused community, think again. (for other news that manage its way here) Like it or not, this game is bound to a topic of coverage that any FGC website would put up as news. (unless if its a more focused community such as DOA World, SSB Community, or any community that focuses on one game.)

If you have problems with this game or think you deserve, you might as well just hate Project Soul. Since Project Soul is responsible with their own games, & their responsible with their own actions. Even if it means ditch the hardcore fans & focus more on casuals. Don't be too surprised if Project Soul run the SC series to the ground & SC just died because of its quality level went low.

Anyway I would see myself playing SC Lost Swords to see what its like, & I'm a hardcore collector when comes to games I'm interested such as SC.

spambot said on January 22, 2014 at 8:43 p.m.

But Soul calibur 5 was actually good, especially the net code. Relax they are just using this to make money for soul calibur 6