Somebody forgot to tell Shazam he's considered low-tier - The Wrath of Billy Batson video shows just how destructive this character can be

Posted by Nicholas 'MajinTenshinhan' Taylor • January 16, 2014 at 9:25 a.m. PST

Injustice: Gods Among Us is a game that has undergone several iterations since its release thanks to various balance patches.

Shazam, who has generally been considered a sub-par characters, comes along in this video from Ronald Rogan to show off what a beast he can be in the right hands.

If you're aching to see some Shazam action, or believe that Shazam doing impressive stuff simply can't be true, hit the jump to check out this extensive combo/setup video.

Has your perception of Shazam changed at all? Let us know in the comments.

Thanks to RodshodNeal, RonaldRogan, Sai Evermore and a bunch of anonymous tipsters for sending this in.

Comments

Orichalkos said on January 16, 2014 at 9:30 a.m.

Finally some Injustice stuff! love me some Shazam play

ZeroisLife said on January 16, 2014 at 9:30 a.m.

Is that a double jump that is being performed in some combos?

OTheVariousKing said on January 16, 2014 at 9:32 a.m.

Knew it all along! Great vid.

TheTruth4591 said on January 16, 2014 at 9:39 a.m.

Shazam has already recovered by the time he is almost landing from Herculean Might, so when he jumps it looks like a double jump.

iMTopTier said on January 16, 2014 at 9:44 a.m.

it is not a double jump
you just press forward after his special when he is in the air

iMTopTier said on January 16, 2014 at 9:45 a.m.

sad part is that i don't play this game anymore =/
but when i used to i had a ton of fun using Shazam

MALDA_IS_BACK said on January 16, 2014 at 9:47 a.m.

Billy is one dangerous kid

xShonuffx said on January 16, 2014 at 9:51 a.m.

SPOILERS ALERT!!!!

MALDA_IS_BACK said on January 16, 2014 at 9:51 a.m.

I wish they put this game on.the XB1 lucky still.got my 360 version

ShadowGeno said on January 16, 2014 at 9:56 a.m.

Shazam is Low Tier? Pass some of that crack this way ...

BlackRain said on January 16, 2014 at 9:59 a.m.

The music is really not my thing, but the editing is good and the combos are gorgeous. Not to matter the fact Injustice gets some coverage again.

Jason said on January 16, 2014 at 10:01 a.m.

After watching like 2 mins of almost nothing but cutscenes, I'm done.

Next time - less cutscenes, more combos.

XDIEX said on January 16, 2014 at 10:11 a.m.

Always liked cpt marvel

Ascender said on January 16, 2014 at 10:43 a.m.

Aw come on, it's Hardstyle! Love it!

ZenRazor said on January 16, 2014 at 10:44 a.m.

Nice combo really like it. I know people are complaining about the Cutscene but it just build to the combos.

RonaldRogan said on January 16, 2014 at 10:51 a.m.

Thanks for the love guys! It's a little cutscene heavy at the beginning but it's got like 5 minutes of straight combos and aims to tell a story.

Also, it looks like a double jump, but it's a jump registering mid-air due to the command grab animation placing Shazam in the air. You can do the same thing in some situations after throwing an air interactable.

Zidiane said on January 16, 2014 at 11:04 a.m.

Wow... don't play Injustice, but if I did I'd play Raven. But after this, I'd think twice. This was a really cool vid, the music went really nicely with the combos.

MGLaughter said on January 16, 2014 at 11:12 a.m.

I always considered it counting as a jump cancel on his recovery of Herculean Might. Shazam has some really strong tools that are kind of hidden, one of them is their difficulty of use. I don't know if patches of have changed it, but cancelling off a raw back2 was brutal, but was one of his best tools combined Atlas Torpedo since it was so hard to punish on block, and on hit a MB would put you in a position for Shazam Shananigans. Back to the vid, I was really impressed how you came up with ways to activate trait mid combo using the environment. Good stuff.

Capcom_Warrior said on January 16, 2014 at 11:14 a.m.

I don't even play Injustice but that was an awesome video. I loved how the cut-scenes flowed into the combos. The music was sick too. :-)

BrightNoa said on January 16, 2014 at 11:50 a.m.

Ronald Rogan, fantastic job bro! This was a really hype combo vid and made me consider picking up Shazam for those juicy corner resets. Hope you've got some more vids in store for us!

Rahavic said on January 16, 2014 at 12:39 p.m.

I literally quit the game cuz of Shazam! He was the only character I wanted to play. /wrist

Wedge said on January 16, 2014 at 1:03 p.m.

So plot, much wub.

mrambitious said on January 16, 2014 at 1:50 p.m.

Been using Shazam essentially since the game came out. High learning curve, exceptionally fun to play, and insanely good cross-up and 50/50 game. Why ANYONE doubted Billy is a mystery to me. Sure, you can skip the whole learning match-ups and how to play injustice by just using Superman or Deathstroke, but where's the fun in that?

rakuko said on January 16, 2014 at 5:12 p.m.

oh my god, RIP Billy (again)... once on Art's stream wasn't enough BibleThump

Baby_Astaroth said on January 16, 2014 at 5:23 p.m.

You really missed out. The cutscenes setup the wrath of Billy Batson.

This was an amazing combo video.

SoftShocks said on January 16, 2014 at 5:59 p.m.

Great stuff, Billy is definitely the most hype to watch. those grabs man....

Sneak8288 said on January 16, 2014 at 8:13 p.m.

This was pretty beast. As a Shazam player I approve.

Zombie4u said on January 17, 2014 at 2:39 a.m.

Whoah!!!

CamracPls said on January 17, 2014 at 5:43 a.m.

The fun in playing Supes is that you win. I'm not sure if you're just new to fighting games or something, but Shazam was never that great in Injustice. His crossup gimmicks are just that: gimmicks. His 50/50s are mediocre. He's basically a mobile grappler with sub par tools in a game where everyone has projectiles. So yes, if you think doing cool combos makes this character high tier, I want some of what you're smoking.

SoftShocks said on January 17, 2014 at 7:41 a.m.

^Yes, Billy does depend on crossup j.2 a lot, also has punishable 50/50s.
He does have some positives though: probably the best sweep in the game, good dash, good overhead starter, teleport wake up.
I don't think Shazam's bad, just other characters can do want he should be doing, but better.

RonaldRogan said on January 17, 2014 at 10:16 a.m.

I agree. He has a lot of good tools, but they're not as effective as those of other characters. I liken him unto to Thor in UMVC3--on paper Thor has a lot of tools: fly, airdash, projectile, command grabs, etc.--they're just not that effective, meaning he has to work much harder.

Shazam is the same way. He has tools and they can be effective, he's just very difficult to use and he definitely has to play very patiently until he gets in grab/crossup/shenanigan/gimmick range. But once he does, he's one combo and a reset away from nearly taking a lifebar.

DOOMSDAY15RUS said on January 17, 2014 at 11:28 a.m.

good damage combos its not the most important thing, he is still low tier, he is not like bane, good banes like EMPR Grr can fear all PRO with TOP tier characters, but music is top tier here

AveMcree said on January 18, 2014 at 7:55 p.m.

the soundtrack was flames!!!