A new Tekken film is in the works - a prequel from the mind of the Ong-Bak director

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • January 13, 2014 at 9 a.m. PST

The last time we witnessed a live-action Tekken film hit the big screen was back in 2010. According to Japanese film website, Cinema Today, another Tekken movie is currently in the works.

Not much has been divulged on this new project, but what we do know is that it will actually be a prequel to the last film. The official title is, "Tekken: A Man Called X," and is being directed by Prachya Pinkaew, who also worked on such films as Ong-Bak and The Protector.

Additionally, the star of the flick is set to be Kane Kosugi, who also played Ryu Hyabusa in the live-action Dead or Alive feature.

Hopefully this film fairs a bit better than its predecessor, and retains some of the crazy martial arts action that the Ong-Bak movies are known for. (If a big dude throws Kuma around like that elephant in The Protector, I'm going to lose my mind... Make it happen, Pinkaew!)

Source: Eurogamer, and VG24/7. Tip sent in by Blackoshinomi, and USAtlas.

Comments

SirRetro08 said on January 13, 2014 at 9:04 a.m.

Man...too many video game movies get bodied hard by Hollywood.

Kinman777 said on January 13, 2014 at 9:08 a.m.

When will they learn that live action and video games don't mix. Just give us animated cgi ffs.

Memanruler said on January 13, 2014 at 9:08 a.m.

I wonder how far off the original Tekken story they go this time...

Ogre is the son of Heihachi.

Baby_Astaroth said on January 13, 2014 at 9:09 a.m.

True, but this isn't a Hollywood movie.

Baby_Astaroth said on January 13, 2014 at 9:11 a.m.

So you don't like MK Legacy? Do you have any faith in Assassin's Fist?

Sage_Liebert said on January 13, 2014 at 9:16 a.m.

just put everybody in black leather and it'll be fine

king_e_dawg said on January 13, 2014 at 9:16 a.m.

Here's the thing... if anybody deserves to make a movie about a fighting game, it's Prachya Pinkaew. But why did it have to be THIS?

Hwoarang said on January 13, 2014 at 9:17 a.m.

So the first movie wasn't bad enough...

I'm sick of videogames movies, even if they're cgi or anime. They're never good enough (Or at least decent) and add nothing to the game's story. It always seems like a strategy to sell more calling it "Tekken" than giving it a standard name.

Orichalkos said on January 13, 2014 at 9:19 a.m.

Mortal Kombat Legacy says hi

Hraklea said on January 13, 2014 at 9:21 a.m.

Isn't Prachya Pinkaew the director from Raging Phoenix too? I love that movie. XD

I hope he makes this works.

MrAngryCoolPants said on January 13, 2014 at 9:23 a.m.

The Ong-Bak movies are incredible. They are definitely some of the greatest martial arts films of all time. If any one can make a good Tekken film it's this guy.

FightDirty said on January 13, 2014 at 9:34 a.m.

As long as they can get Kelly Overton to play as Christie again I'll check it out. That was the only good thing about that movie.

Movies based on video games have a bad record. Movies based on fighting games have been even worse, but hopefully this Ong-Bak guy will manage to break that trend.

TheTHCGamer said on January 13, 2014 at 9:40 a.m.

The first Ong Bak was great but the last 2 sucked because they were directed by the star himself Tony Jaa. I can't believe I bothered to finish those last 2 sequels horrible compared to the original and it's a disgrace they even have Ong Bak in the title yes they were that bad.

Reality2k said on January 13, 2014 at 9:40 a.m.

Well this won't end well

Wardog said on January 13, 2014 at 9:41 a.m.

I'm still scar from that last movie. I also heard the other fighting game movies like DOA & KOF was really bad.

Legend of Chun li made Street fighter the movie look legit.lol man that movie suck.

SqueakyBloom said on January 13, 2014 at 9:41 a.m.

I enjoyed the first TEKKEN movie as a fun movie, but as for being faithful to the actual story of TEKKEN, it was just terrible. I don't really see a live action TEKKEN movie being good unless it ignores or minimizes a lot of characters. Also, the title for the new movie sounds horrible.

Also, best movie based on a fighting game is hands down Mortal Kombat. Annihilation however... Not so much

Wardog said on January 13, 2014 at 9:46 a.m.

Ong Bak 2 wasn't that bad, but 3.... that guy should just stick to what he do best. I hope he didn't direct Protector 2 cause the trailer looks sweet and I don't want to be disappointed again.

Wardog said on January 13, 2014 at 9:52 a.m.

You're a tough person to enjoy that movie.lol

As a Tekken fan.... I couldn't really enjoy the movie cause it was that bad. I had to make myself watch it cause it had my boy Bryan Fury in it.

I know the Guy who play as Jin who also play as Ryu in the live action SF youtube video, probably didn't like that movie ether.

jhayze said on January 13, 2014 at 9:57 a.m.

well if im gonna put a critique from the movie and compare it from other fighting game live action movies...

mortal kombat > tekken > the rest (doa, kof, street fighter, legend of chunli, mk2, etc)

and so far im hearing and seeing from news and rumors, that its not gonna be sequel nor prequel from the first movie, but a whole re-vamp new movie (similar like to the new spider-man movies), new promising director (ongbak, the protector) and new actors, and hope they dont butcher it like the first movie or like the rest of live action fighting game movies!

i wish Harada and the tekken developer crew can help supervise the movie this time! or just make another CG movie!

darthvenom said on January 13, 2014 at 9:57 a.m.

Worse, Devil Gene is an STD.

Blackoshinomi said on January 13, 2014 at 10:12 a.m.

If Ong Bak making it! I know for sure that actions going to be amazing!

LordProsper said on January 13, 2014 at 10:24 a.m.

Why would you make a prequel to a movie that was so bad the dude in charge of the franchise openly bashed it?

DontTaseMeBro said on January 13, 2014 at 10:26 a.m.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

shinra358 said on January 13, 2014 at 10:47 a.m.

The only reason why tekken didn't work in live action is because the video game script has gotten too stupid. Not even the cgi tekken that came out afterward was good and that was made by the actual tekken team. So the statement about video games can't be turned into real movies is false. To make a good one:

a. the real devs need to stop putting in stupid stuff

b. hollywood needs to cut the stupid stuff out and use the serious stuff only. Also act like it is your property and treat it like if it was your own child. NO FANSERVICE whether it be girl parts or just similar scenes. Use only when actually needed, not force it in.

FightingGameLover90 said on January 13, 2014 at 10:57 a.m.

The reason the tekken movie wasn't good was just the fact that it wasn't good.

As a huge tekken fan I was insulted with what they gave us. For goodness sakes Kazuya was raised by Heihachi and that's just one of the many many MANY errors with that "movie" i just don't understand why they didn't just use the plot from the first and second game instead of randomly throwing in everything into a huge confusing mess, besides Christie being Jin's love interest and a MMA fighter? like for real?

sprflyspdrguy said on January 13, 2014 at 11:25 a.m.

Kane Kusugi is godlike.

ShadowGeno said on January 13, 2014 at 11:26 a.m.

awkward moment when some people aren´t reading "a prequel from the mind of the Ong-Bak director" in the title of the article ...

DIS GON B GUD.

Evil_Hayato said on January 13, 2014 at 11:29 a.m.

Fun story: When I used to work at a movie theatre, we screened the legend of chun li which we never got to finish as the theatre itself said no and burned the film as we watched it. When we spliced it together, I kept some frames to put in my wallet to remind myself and others that that movie is garbage.

I think this could have promise but the title alone makes me think they are going somewhere far off from the games actual story. The first tekken movie was like a 5 out of 10. Bearable but at times hard to watch. Like most fighting game movies. Only exception is MK and DOA.. .and doa was only good at certain parts and mostly because the girls on screen.

Wardog said on January 13, 2014 at 11:51 a.m.

Thank you! That movie was terrible... I'm glad Harada didn't love it.

You also forgot about Jun dying from a blast and the city was call Tekken.lol

For those who don't follow Tekken. Tekken stands for iron fist Tournament in japan. But in the U.S they call it Tekken... so when you hear that saying "welcome to the iron fist tournament Tekken" their using both names Japan & U.S, which is the name of Heihachi tournament. "The iron fist"

You can hear it on Tekken 4 & 5 when about to select a character.

Marthmario said on January 13, 2014 at 11:55 a.m.

My eyes ;~;
And Tekken is one of my favorite games. ;~;

Burnt said on January 13, 2014 at 12:13 p.m.

Son of the greatest ninja who ever lived

NyuBomber said on January 13, 2014 at 12:15 p.m.

All I hear when they say "prequel" is "You can forget about any characters you'd actually like to see on-screen showing up." :(

hotpinkfighter said on January 13, 2014 at 12:37 p.m.

A prequel? Hmmmm. Tony Jaa as a young Kazuya? LOL

My only beef with fighting game/super hero movies is the re-using of the same actor for different characters. For example, the guy who was Shang Tsung in MK is also Heihachi in Tekken. Guy who was Liu Kang in MK is also Gen in Legend of Chun Li. Guy who was Human Torch is also Captain America. Really? We adults know better but the young ones who watch these movies will think why is Human Torch all of a sudden Captain America?! In my opinion, fighting game movies should be done in CGI. Super hero movies should be done in anime. Peace!

FalsoL said on January 13, 2014 at 1:04 p.m.

The first Tekken movie was complete horrible, but in comparison with the KOF movie is like the godfather.

#28 DOA and MK movies are a s++t too

edrigo said on January 13, 2014 at 1:15 p.m.

doa was entertaining crap though. tekken was just pile of sh:t.

perfume said on January 13, 2014 at 1:27 p.m.

MetroCityPub said on January 13, 2014 at 1:52 p.m.

There's Tekken: Blood Vengeance if that's what you want. As for it being any good, I'll leave that up to you. I thought it was okay, certainly wanted a better attempt though.

Madenka said on January 13, 2014 at 1:57 p.m.

The best thing about the Tekken movie in my opinion was costuming. (most of) The characters looked like they were from Tekken.

hazelnut1112 said on January 13, 2014 at 2:09 p.m.

I'm really hoping this movie takes place in space. Plus there has to be spaceship fights and everything. Just call the space station Tekken and have a spaceship after every Tekken fighter. There you go, I have a recipe for a good video game adaptation.

TheOtherTensei said on January 13, 2014 at 2:14 p.m.

I have known this for quite some time, I am surprised it has made it here, so late. Even so, it will be nice to see how it turns out.

TheTHCGamer said on January 13, 2014 at 2:33 p.m.

The original Ong Bak was one of the greatest martial arts films but the last two were ridiculous. I agree the second was better then the 3rd though.

edrigo said on January 13, 2014 at 2:48 p.m.

amazing

Shintakuma said on January 13, 2014 at 3 p.m.

Another tekken movie??!??

"yawns"
I'll wait for the free download

ReddChief said on January 13, 2014 at 3:02 p.m.

I don't care for Tekken games sense the 90's but another Tekken movie heck yeah. And there's nothing wrong with video games made into movies it's just the people making and producing it not taking it serious and really putting the effort and money behind it and now doing these kind of movies have a bad rep.
Put the big budget and effort in to say like a Street Fighter movie like they did with The Matrix, Spiderman and Lord of the rings it would be EPIC!!

ZeDudd said on January 13, 2014 at 3:04 p.m.

OMG, just the thought of that had me laughing my a§§ off. XD

ZeDudd said on January 13, 2014 at 3:09 p.m.

Not just that.

In the movie, they lived in some sort of post apocalyptic world where the champions in the Iron Fist Tournament get to live a better life (Because, you know, that's "TOTALLY" how it was in the games) , Christie was Jin's girlfriend (WTF?), Steve (or Paul, i don't remember) was Jin's mentor (WTFx2), Yoshimitsu worked for Kazuya (WTFx1.000.000)...

It was painful to watch.

Wardog said on January 13, 2014 at 3:14 p.m.

I agree with you on the first Ong Bak is the best one out of three. Did you see Protector 2 trailer yet?

Wardog said on January 13, 2014 at 3:16 p.m.

Dude, you're bringing back bad memories.lol That movie... *in Raven voice*... is Dead. To me.lol

bigjbilly said on January 13, 2014 at 3:31 p.m.

Ong Bak is money. That director is obsessed with Spielberg apparently, he leaves a couple hidden msgs for Spielberg in Ong Bak as graffiti begging him to work with him. For those of you who want a great action flick check it out. Also watch The Protector as well, awesome.

Wardog said on January 13, 2014 at 3:45 p.m.

Don't forget about Raid Redemption. That movie is crazy and they're working on a sequel.

tidestick said on January 13, 2014 at 4:34 p.m.

If the stunts are anything like Ong-Bak. This stuntman will have to pass.

Sage_Liebert said on January 13, 2014 at 5:18 p.m.

Is there anything worse than Terry Bogard being a middle aged FBI agent in KOF movie?

dro2191 said on January 13, 2014 at 5:26 p.m.

na ill pass unless its 100% faithful like street fighter assassins fist then im not interested

rosy said on January 13, 2014 at 5:59 p.m.

All I wanted is Tony Jaa in that movie. Ong Bak movie will never get crazy martial art without him

daisetsu said on January 13, 2014 at 7:12 p.m.

so which characters can they possibly use here being a prequel to the previous movie? Jinpachi? Wang? Dr. B? Sebastian? actually.. who the hell could "the man called X" be referring to anyway? Lars ? Lee? Azazel ? Jack ? Ogre?

the movie needs pointless threesomes that completely makes no sense. should be a staple in Tekken movies. maybe this time it would feature Marduk, King and Jaycee. or perhaps True Ogre, Xiaoyu and Miharu.

darkneji said on January 13, 2014 at 7:19 p.m.

Tekken actually just stands for "Iron Fist."

"Welcome to the Tekken Tournament" doesn't quite have that solid ring in english.

I think I actually prefer, "Welcome to the King of the Iron Fist Tournament; Tekken"

It helps non fans kind of understand the meaning a bit.

DrDevice said on January 13, 2014 at 7:33 p.m.

@52 flat chested Mai says hi. And I say that as someone who finds Maggie Q hot.

Wardog said on January 13, 2014 at 8:15 p.m.

You're right. I'm kinda use to saying the king of iron fist Tournament Tekken 4 & 5.lol

Especially if you play Tekken your whole life.lol it kinda it stuck in your head.

Dimensional said on January 13, 2014 at 9:53 p.m.

I was tempted to say I would prefer it to be an animated movie as at least then the characters look right but I have seen a fair share of terrible animated movies as well.

At least the recent Blazblue anime was pretty good.

Evil_Hayato said on January 13, 2014 at 10:07 p.m.

They actually did a tekken animated movie, like 2d drawings not the 3d blood vengeance. From what i remember about it, it wasnt that good.

cikame said on January 14, 2014 at 2:29 a.m.

YEEESSS, as long as it has good action i'll love it, i'm a sucker for anything Tekken.

And that 2D Tekken movie is actually memorable it's not totally bad.

OhYouDontSayThat said on January 14, 2014 at 6:02 a.m.

at least the demon forms in the last one were sick

Virtua_Kazama said on January 14, 2014 at 8:15 a.m.
Wardog said on January 14, 2014 at 9:38 a.m.

Thanks, Virtua_Kazama.

Whew, it was a mistake.lol

JdotSweapA said on January 14, 2014 at 2:14 p.m.

Oh god, It's happening again. =_=

CodeValentineX said on January 14, 2014 at 10:44 p.m.

No thanks, I've seen enough bad fighting game movie adaptions in my life to know that this cant be good.. Legend of Chun li and DOA instantly come to mind. Curious to see what the director of Ong Bak will bring to the movie.