Can't have too much of a good thing: Characters most likely to have Dr. Doom and Vergil on their teams in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • January 11, 2014 at 3:01 p.m. PST

It's no secret that Dr. Doom and Vergil are the two most popular characters in all of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, with the former being #1 by a very large margin.

Both of these fighters are highly regarded for the power they bring to a squad, and for being two of the stronger/better overall characters, when all is said and done.

It's very common to find either of these guys, or both, on someone's team. As such, we wanted to see the characters who has the highest usage percentage for having either, or both of these two fighters on their squad.

The stats we compiled show how likely it is for all of the game's other 48 characters to have squads composed of either Vergil, or Dr. Doom — or both. The results were then sorted from highest to lowest, hit the jump to view them.

Characters most likely to have Dr. Doom or Vergil, or both, on their teams in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

1. Magneto - 31.4% of teams

42. Tron Bonne - 6.4% of teams
44. Chris Redfield - 6.1% of teams
44. Ryu - 6.1% of teams
46. She-Hulk - 5.6% of teams
47. Arthur - 5.3% of teams
48. Hsien-Ko - 4.8% of teams

If you want to go further, you can check out our UMvC3 stats page for more information and breakdowns.

Comments

spotlesseden said on January 11, 2014 at 3:15 p.m.

Dr. Doom and Vergil works on every team.

Coocoopaper said on January 11, 2014 at 3:17 p.m.

Lol most people here can't win without them XD

AttorneyMayCry said on January 11, 2014 at 3:34 p.m.

A little surprised to see Magnus and Strider top Zero when it comes to who goes better with Vergil and Doom. Not saying they shouldn't have, though.

spotlesseden said on January 11, 2014 at 3:49 p.m.

Zero goes with Vergil, but he doesn't need dr. doom

DaveNotti said on January 11, 2014 at 3:53 p.m.

LOL @ Hsien-Ko... still no love

Watch her sneak up on everybody though!

HyperViperNZ said on January 11, 2014 at 3:56 p.m.

Don't use either of them in any of my teams and don't plan on it. Win about 85% of my matches online with Viper, Trish and Rocket Raccoon team.

Catalyst said on January 11, 2014 at 3:58 p.m.

Crazy team, sounds pretty awesome. Got any videos?

iMTopTier said on January 11, 2014 at 4:05 p.m.

online lol

HyperViperNZ said on January 11, 2014 at 4:06 p.m.

Nah but I should start recording them because I love hearing tips and feedback about my battles.
Yeah they work really well together and have a handful of nasty unblockable setups.

HyperViperNZ said on January 11, 2014 at 4:07 p.m.

Yeah? Fighting online is a lot harder than you think. Adjusting to players different speed and connections is hard enough let alone trying to pull out the big combos. But on or offline, it still works for me.

spotlesseden said on January 11, 2014 at 4:10 p.m.

online people don't use top tier teams like tournaments.

OniBlanka said on January 11, 2014 at 4:11 p.m.

I've seen some of your matches on youtube a while ago. Your team is crazy good! You don't need Doom or Vergil.

JohnTitor said on January 11, 2014 at 4:15 p.m.

HyperViper your Trish is nuts, that f***ing divekick

My GT is FuerteZ, we need to play again one day!

HyperViperNZ said on January 11, 2014 at 4:20 p.m.

Haha thanks man. Yeah, would love to play you again.
You use Dr Strange in your main team right?

xShonuffx said on January 11, 2014 at 5:33 p.m.

YA Don't Say?

MinimumWesker said on January 11, 2014 at 6:20 p.m.

Without looking, I said "Strider Morrigan Magneto Zero Wesker"

I probably would have thought of Wolverine but there aren't many of those left these days.

Sol_Goodguy said on January 11, 2014 at 7:15 p.m.

I'm more surprised its not wolverine as #1. So many people using that pr rog team

Ninjagoon said on January 11, 2014 at 7:35 p.m.

I cant win WITH them T_T

holybird90 said on January 11, 2014 at 7:40 p.m.

It's funny how this list looks similar to the tier list.

iMTopTier said on January 11, 2014 at 10:23 p.m.

i laugh at you feeling proud for playing online
and yeah i know how it feels to play online against people with lag switch, wifi or slow connections

the_main_event said on January 11, 2014 at 10:51 p.m.

Seriously doom is not that good

perfume said on January 11, 2014 at 11:49 p.m.

HyperViperNZ said on January 12, 2014 at 1:26 a.m.

Okay? Not really that funny. I play on and offline. Theres challenging opponents for both.

MarthFE said on January 12, 2014 at 1:37 a.m.

Agreed, and really I don't think it gets any easier than that... Easy and really good? Why not

I'm only half guilty, I use Virgil but f dr doom. If I didn't like vergil as much as I did I wouldn't use him either... Use to love dr doom as a character but this game ruined that for me lol

perfume said on January 12, 2014 at 2:19 a.m.

Paradonyx said on January 12, 2014 at 4:21 a.m.

Jill/Trish/C.Viper when I want to have fun. Spencer/Trish/Viper when I'm fighting against those braindead characters listed above. Wright/Trish/Viper when I give no f****.

qcevolution said on January 12, 2014 at 6:51 a.m.

Lol I always giggle to myself wen ppl say KI is currently boring or not viable because of its limited roster. Wen honestly in UMVC and SF4 u only see the same 8 or so characters all the time. :/

xShonuffx said on January 12, 2014 at 7:25 a.m.

Hey remember when MvC2 FIRST came out in arcades? It had like a small arse roster of characters and not even the top tier was available then. You seen all kinds of team combinations and all kinds of matches. It was so much fun.

As soon as the characters became inflated, you started to see less and less variety and more specific teams. fast-forward now and you will hardly see any new teams in competitive play. UMvC3 is slowly turning into that and its so said this game will also have no more support for it. I had high hopes for MvC3.

GameLink7 said on January 12, 2014 at 7:40 a.m.

They're just really safe characters to pick. I love it when people pick character other than these two because it makes a match more interesting than see the same combos and stuff from everyone else. It's just stale to see the same foot-foot dive combo and Vergil's incredible safeness.

Personally use two different teams: Frank/Chris/Skrull and PWright/Hsien-Ko/Skrull because I like to keep it interesting~

~GL

ps- I also look down at people who use a glitch to win. (People complain about that Injustice glitch which got patched, but say nothing and allow the TAC glitch. I just put this here because I find this abused most commonlyy with Doom players.)

link75 said on January 12, 2014 at 10:17 a.m.

OMG, I KNOW RIGHT that's exactly what i think!!

link75 said on January 12, 2014 at 10:23 a.m.

I remember when I used to use doom back in vanilla I loved my vanilla Felicia/Doom duo lol. But in ultimate now everybody's using him he's a pain in the butt now he's now just not fun like he was in vanilla so i stopped using him. Vergil well I never really liked Vergil I actually tried him out a while ago but I wasn't really enjoying using him so I said NOPE to him as well.

DJ_Freeze said on January 12, 2014 at 11:04 a.m.

I fellow RR player? always good to see that! I say screw Doom and Vergil! I play Spidey/RR/Deadpool!

link75 said on January 12, 2014 at 5:32 p.m.

I play team with Felicia in it LOL

Ghost Rider/frank/felicia

phoenix wright/frank/felicia

felicia/hsien ko/frank

:D

Esquilax said on January 12, 2014 at 6:58 p.m.

I just use Vergil

But I would never use Dr. Doom, screw that

TaokakaBOOM said on January 13, 2014 at 12:44 a.m.

I will always love my Felicia, Arthur and Morrigan team, even though I'm complete ass at MvC3 :P

OniBlanka said on January 14, 2014 at 5:05 p.m.

You laugh at that?
Playing online is fine. Not really something to laugh at somebody for. Don't underestimate online players. Most of them can adapt on and offline. It's just a matter of availability and having others to play it with. Doesn't make them any worse.

HyperGadoken said on January 15, 2014 at 12:47 a.m.

How else are you supposed to play with other people and get some practice? Sorry the rest of us are able to go to tournaments while you're stuck at home playing with your little brother. I bet you actually try and you still lose. Grow up.