Registration numbers by game for the SoCal Regionals 2014, SSF4 AE v2012 leads pack

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • February 24, 2014 at 9:04 p.m. PST

Registration for the SoCal Regionals 2014 tournament has closed, and the signup numbers for all 20 games are in.

900 competitors will be participating in one of the top FGC majors of 2014 this weekend, but if you're curious how the game-by-game breakdown goes, we have those details.

Also, if you'd like to signup on site, emergency registration will be available. You can find a complete rundown of all of this information, plus overall event info, after the jump.

SoCal Regionals 2014 registration numbers, by game

14. Persona 4: Arena - 42
16. Mortal Kombat 9 - 40
17. Soul Calibur 5 - 34
18. Soul Calibur 2 HD - 31
19. Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate - 28
20. Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown - 21

Important note: Emergency on-site registration will be available Thursday and Friday only, and some games might have availability due to drop outs.

The numbers above could change, depending on how many people sign up on site.

You can find more details about the SoCal Regionals 2014 on their official website. Here's their excellent trailer one more time.

Video from Level|Up.

Comments

spotlesseden said on February 24, 2014 at 9:16 p.m.

we love capcom fighters. Even SFXT has 49. lol

pegasusx said on February 24, 2014 at 9:20 p.m.

How are all the games going to get enough stream time?

Ralycer said on February 24, 2014 at 9:22 p.m.

I thought valle said Sfxt was Capped?

spotlesseden said on February 24, 2014 at 9:23 p.m.

they can have like 4 or 5 streams. Main stream can do SF4 and mvc3 all day.

Gotomaster said on February 24, 2014 at 9:23 p.m.

Dang, AE is going to be mad competitive, same for Marvel.

Smorgasboard said on February 24, 2014 at 9:28 p.m.

There's your EVO games right here

Rome_Himself said on February 24, 2014 at 9:51 p.m.

ae always gets these numbers though

iloveolives said on February 24, 2014 at 9:53 p.m.

DOA doubling it's regular numbers!

imarvey said on February 24, 2014 at 9:59 p.m.

Good to see support for all these games. I may just enter kof and st just to support it

NoizyChild said on February 24, 2014 at 10:07 p.m.

What's made BBCP so popular lately? I haven't seen an anime game pull those numbers in a while.

omglonghair said on February 24, 2014 at 10:10 p.m.

Hey guys marvels dying huh?

Gameplan said on February 24, 2014 at 10:23 p.m.

Damn, 220 entrants for a "dead" game. Not bad.

yes4me said on February 24, 2014 at 10:45 p.m.

Blazblue > GG in US
Blazblue < GG in Japan

2. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - 220
17. Soul Calibur 5 - 34
19. Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate - 28
Wow... WTF! I am so wrong on what people like. My bad! I am really amazed and surprised. Still not going to watch MvC3 except maybe the top 8

BunnyBoy said on February 24, 2014 at 10:51 p.m.

My best guess is that some people have started to get bored with Marvel 3, and are now giving similar games a try.

That's only a guess, though. Not actual fact.

Jayson619 said on February 24, 2014 at 10:56 p.m.

12 games NOT running on the Xbox 360 bcos the PS3 has no lag.

Except when ChrisG fights Senior Taxi or choosing to collude with Justin Wong and Flocker.

MrTimtastic said on February 24, 2014 at 10:57 p.m.

Marvel folks are notorious for doing the late registration. It'll hit cap.

Existent said on February 24, 2014 at 11:01 p.m.

21 registrants.

Twenty one.

RedEther said on February 24, 2014 at 11:14 p.m.

WTF is this post

NoizyChild said on February 24, 2014 at 11:30 p.m.

All time high?

TheTHCGamer said on February 24, 2014 at 11:36 p.m.

I haven't really cared for the BB games but in my opinion BBCP is the best one yet.

Jayson619 said on February 24, 2014 at 11:46 p.m.

Shows that there's a high honourable place for PS3 in high profile tournaments.

edrigo said on February 24, 2014 at 11:49 p.m.

I hope they stream it. Justin won't register he failed at this game.

nusense said on February 24, 2014 at 11:50 p.m.

Fanboy riding that D

General_Awesomo said on February 24, 2014 at 11:58 p.m.

Oh really, SCR? Galactus is banned?

socalregionals.com/rules/

TheTHCGamer said on February 25, 2014 at 12:06 a.m.

So a games quality is based on the number of people competing at a tournament?

NoizyChild said on February 25, 2014 at 12:13 a.m.

I never said anything about any game's quality. I just asked if 21 entrants was an all time high for that game. Cool your jets.

BunnyBoy said on February 25, 2014 at 12:19 a.m.

That's actually not a bad turnout at all for VF5. I'm perfectly fine with that number.

Sasuga said on February 25, 2014 at 12:33 a.m.

40 entrants for MK9?

Not bad.

Existent said on February 25, 2014 at 12:42 a.m.

Please don't. I'm depressed enough without considering if that might actually be true.

Madenka said on February 25, 2014 at 2:27 a.m.

Galactus = hype killer

snubtrap said on February 25, 2014 at 3:09 a.m.

Wow, good for BB. Hopefully it gets a nice boost once it's officially out in the US.

Eternal said on February 25, 2014 at 3:36 a.m.

Deejay looks insane in that picture.

FishyFighter said on February 25, 2014 at 5:26 a.m.

True, VF has a very small number of players compared to other fighters, 21 is pretty good, I just hope they stream it.

RagerDaPrince_EH said on February 25, 2014 at 5:26 a.m.

If only deejay really took SCR T__T

hi3i said on February 25, 2014 at 6:39 a.m.

Mecha_G said on February 25, 2014 at 7:13 a.m.

Did I see VF? I hope it gets streamed.

stormblazer said on February 25, 2014 at 7:18 a.m.

Surprised by the low KI numbers and lowish melee numbers

king_e_dawg said on February 25, 2014 at 7:58 a.m.

2. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - 220

...

20. Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown - 21

Proof there's no justice in this world.

spotlesseden said on February 25, 2014 at 8:06 a.m.

Blazblue > GG in US
Blazblue > GG in Japan, In Arcade and console sales.

CaryKokujin said on February 25, 2014 at 8:51 a.m.

I'd say KI numbers aren't bad considering it beat out TTT2 and P4A. It's still a next-gen XB exclusive, so that audience is still limited, even if the game is awesome.

NoizyChild said on February 25, 2014 at 9:30 a.m.

VF fans, I'm not trying to hate or anything, but why do you act surprised? VF has never been popular in the US, so why do y'all act shocked that hardly anyone has signed up for it?

Serious question.

MRN_SirFoxington said on February 25, 2014 at 9:32 a.m.

I would rather see Blazblue right after SSF4 AE than *&%$@# Marvel. Now that's being said, I will lock myself back into the man-cave and will continue to stalk Marn's Dudley on Youtube....#DudleyWearsPinkAndIsARichPlayboy

Ittouryoudan said on February 25, 2014 at 9:35 a.m.

BB Got 3rd best numbers? Lets go anime fighterssss haha.

FinchoMatic said on February 25, 2014 at 10:43 a.m.

Grimmmz has one of those spots for Killer Instinct (was told he said this in a stream). I think Draman, might have another. I'm looking forward to seeing Max's play in Pool 3. Man is that pool a tossup, there are a substantial amount of good players in that one. Very much looking forward to who comes out of that one alive

FinchoMatic said on February 25, 2014 at 10:46 a.m.

Killer Instinct will have reached its cap by the time the tourney hits. 64 was the max it was allowed by Valle. He couldn't increase it because Injustice's and BBCP's cap was increased and there was no more room.

This is actually really good.

Existent said on February 25, 2014 at 11:40 a.m.

I'm not shocked, I'm depressed.

NoizyChild said on February 25, 2014 at 11:53 a.m.

But it's nothing to be depressed about if you've known for the longest that VF has never been popular outside of Japan. I'm honestly surprised you guys got 21 entrants.

Every fighting game community has their "price of entry": That is, the particular fact of life that comes with playing that game. That's just the cross you've got to carry when you join that particular community: the fact that you'll hardly have anyone to play with.

Existent said on February 25, 2014 at 12:03 p.m.

I want it to be more popular outside of Japan. That's what I'm upset about. If Sega actually tried to market it it might achieve that. I'm not going to accept it just because it's been that way for some time. Until that happens I'm going to keep complaining. It deserves better.

NoizyChild said on February 25, 2014 at 12:08 p.m.

Hate to break it to you, but that's not the case. Sega marketed the game heavily during the Saturn days, and people still barely played it.

The truth is, it's not Sega's fault, it's not the players' fault, and it definitely isn't the fault of Capcom, Namco, ArcSys, etc. Simply put, the game itself just doesn't appeal to many people. It's just a fact that you'll have to accept, I'm afraid.

Existent said on February 25, 2014 at 12:23 p.m.

I'm not talking about twenty years ago. I'm talking about the last five. VF4 Evolution sold just fine. If they put more effort into it it would have raised awareness. I'm not accepting mediocrity.

Xatsuna said on February 25, 2014 at 1:35 p.m.

Only 256 for Street Fighter AE! FGC dying out! We need help from E-sports.

Something like this

MRN_SirFoxington said on February 25, 2014 at 2:03 p.m.

it will change once USF4 drops... and I hope Marn will be back. He looked very Happy at the Capcom-cup when they showed also the Dudley buffs in USF4. Hmm maybe he still was playing AE secretly after all to be back in USF4???

masang said on February 25, 2014 at 2:09 p.m.

VF is for old people like me. don't be depressed over something like this. i don't know if you've already come to this point, but one day you'll realize that the FGC support, interest, opinion doesn't mean anything and should be the last thing to affect you. if you enjoy something, just do it. life is too short.

Existent said on February 25, 2014 at 2:42 p.m.

The difference is that my enjoyment of it is directly affected by the amount and quality of competition, and the continuation of the series is directly affected by sales. FGC support means absolutely everything.

NoizyChild said on February 25, 2014 at 2:48 p.m.

As long as Japan exists, there will always be another VF. If support for the series depended on America, you wouldn't have had another VF after 2.

So, your options are the following:

A) Move to Japan.

B) Deal with the fact that VF won't ever be popular in America.

Existent said on February 25, 2014 at 2:53 p.m.

I never said that it depended on western sales but that's beside the point.
You've told me the same thing three times and I'll respond the same way every time. I won't stop protesting it until it changes. There will be no "dealing with it".

NoizyChild said on February 25, 2014 at 3:04 p.m.

Then you're basically wasting your time. I'm not knocking you for playing what you like, but you may as well wait for little pink wings to grow out of your back so you can fly away.

Existent said on February 25, 2014 at 3:21 p.m.

If it never changes then so be it, but I will do what I have to do. If I have to be the one man screaming to the incoherent, unwashed masses until the day I die then that's how the cookie crumbles.

Never give in.
Never surrender.
Never forget.

JRXP2011 said on February 25, 2014 at 4:22 p.m.

VF is dead

SuperStraightFighter said on February 25, 2014 at 5:05 p.m.

BB is better than Marvel simply for the balance. I'm pretty sure everyone is bored with Marvel seeing everyone picks the same 10 characters all the time, then again the low tiers in Marvel simply cannot well, and if you want to win competitively in Marvel, in must choose those top tiers.

masang said on February 25, 2014 at 5:44 p.m.

all i'm trying to say is, enjoy the games you like any way you can during this time. it's amazing we have every fighting game available to us nowadays. unbelievable that we even have VF5:FS; don't take it for granted.

when you look back at all this, you'll want to have enjoyed it rather than be upset over stigmas the communities have created over a game.

"FGC support means absolutely everything."

i dunno, just have fun. everyone is different, but some day you may retract this statement.

tidestick said on February 25, 2014 at 6:16 p.m.

The fact that there is 20 fighting games to choose from shows how clouded fg's are.

NoizyChild said on February 25, 2014 at 7:07 p.m.

I get his point. It's not about stigmas or anything like that. He basically wants more people to play with.

Unfortunately, it's just not going to happen as far as Virtua Fighter is concerned. He needs to either accept that fact, try to find a local VF scene in his area (try looking on Facebook), or just pick up another game.

x0scorpion0x said on February 26, 2014 at 5:43 p.m.

Can someone explain... why... will Justin Wong play Khaos mvc2?? i mean.. khaos was always a scrub back in the days.. if im not mistaken.. he was not even considered top 20 or 30.. lol now that only "Khaos" plays mvc2.. he talks big crap about S. Kelly and Justin Wong? what kind of disrespect is that... doesn't deserves the attention of anybody.. in my opinion..

brandaman69 said on February 27, 2014 at 11:41 p.m.

Because if J Wong wins then it is the ultimate disgrace to Khaos