16 reasons to love and 15 reasons to hate Chun-Li - New list from ScrewAttack details the best and worst points for the First Lady of fighting games

Posted by Nicholas 'MajinTenshinhan' Taylor • February 22, 2014 at 7:23 a.m. PST

Love her or hate her, it's hard to deny that Chun-Li is a very large part of the success of Street Fighter. Widely regarded as one of the most iconic fighting game characters, and quite possibly the most iconic female fighting game character, most, if not all, fighting game players have a personal relation to Chun-Li.

But what are your views on Chun-Li based on, exactly? In case you've forgotten, ScrewAttack are here to help you out with two different top lists. First, we have the top 16 reasons to love Chun-Li, promptly followed by the top 15 reasons to hate Chun-Li.

Hit the jump to achieve enlightenment.

Both of these videos come courtesy of ScrewAttack!.

Which list do you predominately agree with? And do you have your own reasons to love or hate Chun-Li? Please share your thoughts in the comments section.

Thanks to Blackoshinomi, Garcian_Ulmeyda and Shinkuu_Kikoken for sending this in.

Story image courtesy of BlindBandit92.

Comments

MetroCityPub said on February 22, 2014 at 7:35 a.m.

ScrewAttack does have a point about those spikey wristbands. Would love for Chun to be able to grind someone with those.

sarif2soon said on February 22, 2014 at 7:40 a.m.

Thighs must be #1.

xShonuffx said on February 22, 2014 at 7:41 a.m.

You know its kind of annoying to see every non fighting game enthusiast to refer to Chun-Li being "ridiculously good in Third Strike" without understanding WHY she is good.

Also the 15 reasons we Hate Chun Li are sooooooo stupid. I feel like they didn't even try.

PoisonKiss said on February 22, 2014 at 7:43 a.m.

Chun-Li is the best, I'm proud to have her as my Main

GirlsOfGaming said on February 22, 2014 at 7:49 a.m.

oh screw attack!

SoftShocks said on February 22, 2014 at 7:57 a.m.

I can't think of any reason to hate chun...

ChunLi said on February 22, 2014 at 7:59 a.m.

9 out of 10, every one of the "Reasons we hate" videos are just for fun and the general consensus of the dislike of something lol like, for Mario 3D World he complained about the warp pipes being Clear "The warp pipes are CLEAR. That isn't green, *I* don't like that" or with DBZ with the obvious ones like power up filler episodes, etc. I laugh at the hate ones, but that's me.

XxAngelChunLixX said on February 22, 2014 at 8 a.m.

Only negative I can find is that she's not real, or her damage and health in Mahvel. Other than that, it's nothing but love for my girl. My absolute favorite video game character of all time. She will always reign as the queen. ❤️❤️❤️

KingKong said on February 22, 2014 at 8:02 a.m.

↑ is 100% right

Remondo02 said on February 22, 2014 at 8:03 a.m.

barnardex said on February 22, 2014 at 8:05 a.m.

This is a coincidence. Just yesterday I was saying that the internet doesn't have enough meaningless numerical lists.

sarif2soon said on February 22, 2014 at 8:06 a.m.

Refer to my previous comment.

caruga said on February 22, 2014 at 8:11 a.m.

The fact that she bends over in a mating position when you do a hard-punch fireball.

HighVolume said on February 22, 2014 at 8:12 a.m.

I can think of one: Third Strike.

Unless you use her, so I guess that's a plus in some cases...

Devdan said on February 22, 2014 at 8:19 a.m.

Why, she actually is that good in 3S. I'm not a pro by any means, but it seems like almost all of her normals have the most stupidly safe hitboxes to hurtbox ratio in the entire game. Having a large falling hitbox is nice, but she has one of those stupid ducking hitboxes where some characters bnbs whiff so it basically evens out. I'm glad (and pretty confused) that nobody uses her online.

Remondo02 said on February 22, 2014 at 8:22 a.m.

Remondo02 said on February 22, 2014 at 8:33 a.m.

xShonuffx said on February 22, 2014 at 8:36 a.m.

Oh I know why, I play as her. Im just saying that I believe that most people tend to throw around the fact that she is OP in 3rd Strike without actually knowing why. They just hear in circles she is strong but don't grasp why, which is why I think they said that.

ChunLiliLover said on February 22, 2014 at 8:40 a.m.

Chun Li is the only reason why street fighter is popular. I hope next game they get rid of pointless character like Ryu and Akuma and make Chun Li and Cammy the central characters.

xShonuffx said on February 22, 2014 at 8:40 a.m.

I'm sure they are. But they just seemed random. I wasn't offended I just didn't find them funny. It felt like they tried too hard.

You can see it when compared to the "reasons loved" because most (not all) of the reasons were genuine reasons to love Chun Li or at least have some factual support behind them.

BunnyBoy said on February 22, 2014 at 8:42 a.m.

Aren't ScrewAttack the same dudes who seriously suggested that Shao Khan is better than Dictator and Shang Tsung is better than Gouki?

'Cause I'm not seeing a reason why any fan of the franchise should be interested in what they think.

4leaf said on February 22, 2014 at 9:02 a.m.

Ugh. These vids weren't too fun for me.

Also, I disagree with the 2nd video saying the Chunli shower scene wasn't good. It was (and still is) the sexiest and most tasteful anime shower scene I've ever seen (there was an implication that Claw was 'savoring' his potential victim before attempting to off her - fortunately he failed. Lightning Legs for the win).

Mai Shiranui's doesn't even compare.

Ravellino said on February 22, 2014 at 9:26 a.m.

I can't think of any reason to hate chun...[2]

Aluppoj said on February 22, 2014 at 9:29 a.m.

I love Chun Li!

Razberryclownsac said on February 22, 2014 at 9:32 a.m.

Where Aljupol is. I figured he'd be all over this.

caruga said on February 22, 2014 at 9:32 a.m.

Oh how dare they.

Kenshiro said on February 22, 2014 at 9:37 a.m.

We get it you don't like her and nothing will convince you. Kindly move on.

Thanks.

Remondo02 said on February 22, 2014 at 9:42 a.m.

floorwalker said on February 22, 2014 at 9:43 a.m.

Reasons to hate Chun Li:

1. You can't

Kenshiro said on February 22, 2014 at 9:43 a.m.

You don't want them to be the central characters you want them to be the only ones.

Those two already play a bigger role than Ryu and Akuma in the storyline involving Shadowloo...

Kijui said on February 22, 2014 at 10:02 a.m.

I can personallly say as a man of Saikyo that I am particularly scared of Chun-Li. I hate having to fight her but I prefer to have her on my team/watch her play. She's always been a nightmare for me, and she seems to regard Dan as some sort of punk or something. I happen to be close friend s with Chun-Li players, about three of them.

Every time I see Chun-Li in a game I think to myself, "Oh great, what kind of BS does she have in this game?"

akillyz said on February 22, 2014 at 10:07 a.m.

LMAO, "SHE'S IN STREET FIGHTER EX! F*CK THAT GAME!"

Blackoshinomi said on February 22, 2014 at 10:25 a.m.

Shao Khan is better than Dictator im that death battle !
Gouki won against Shang Tsung in that death battle.

Blackoshinomi said on February 22, 2014 at 10:27 a.m.

The only time i ever dislike Chun-Li is in 3s ! Other than that shes kool with me .

sarif2soon said on February 22, 2014 at 10:43 a.m.

...............

I'm outta here.

Remondo02 said on February 22, 2014 at 10:49 a.m.

GreenDragon said on February 22, 2014 at 10:49 a.m.

Hell almost EVERY other character is more relevant then Ryu and Akuma.

Kenshiro said on February 22, 2014 at 11:37 a.m.

They are the very same. I don't get why people get so butthurt over opiniated hypothetical battles...sure some of the battles are so lopsided in one favor that it's not worth serious consideration but hey start a series combating it instead of crying.

Sadisticcupid said on February 22, 2014 at 11:40 a.m.

Pick a god damn play style, amen
i could only play chun li in marvel games

Rizing said on February 22, 2014 at noon

The reason why fans should be at least slightly interested in whatever another person says is if the spotlight is focused on you. Ask yourself, "If I were to give 15 reasons why I love and hate x character," put yourself in the audience's shoe and then ask yourself

"Why should I be interested in what this random person thinks of my character?" It's the same exact thing with Screw Attack. You should care a little because you might want other people to care what you think.

Also, I think Screw Attack produces humorous informational videos. They're designed to contain facts but also designed to try and be funny. Interpret their opinion however you want.

So to summarize it up, by asking why fans should care about what Screw Attack says, I have the precedence to ask why I should care about what you have to say about Screw Attack. Get my drift?

Miles said on February 22, 2014 at 12:33 p.m.

I don't know
but I've been told
a big legged woman ain't got no soul!

Ryunipotent said on February 22, 2014 at 1:45 p.m.

Gurpwnder said on February 22, 2014 at 1:46 p.m.

Yo, that stupid cop tried to arrest Dan in Alpha 3 for no reason! Stupid Chun-Li...

Existent said on February 22, 2014 at 2:12 p.m.

Don't like her. I can't really think of anything else to add so...yeah.

caruga said on February 22, 2014 at 2:14 p.m.

How dare you speak of the world's greatest pillow fighter in that fashion.

StriderHiryu said on February 22, 2014 at 2:30 p.m.

I don't know why anyone would be upset, or surprised by the reasons to hate Chun-li from ScrewAttack. Mind you, these are the same guys who let Mai beat Chun-li in a death battle; which, of course, upset quite a few people. ...'Cept me.

I approach Chun-li haters the same way I approach the Sonic, Zelda, KH, and other fanbases; I am my own person and I'm not all that concerned. X3 People have opinions, they share them, you listen, and move on. As long as you like something, who cares what others think?

I'm a huge Chun-li fan, and she's my favorite video game character of all time, seconded ONLY by Sonic the Hedgehog, and Kokoro from Dead or Alive falling right underneath of her on that list. She's my first fighting game character, and the first Street Fighter character I learned how to use. ...Also, the shower scene in the Street Fighter movie is where I became a man. *Grins* God bless that body of hers!

Sweet_Violence said on February 22, 2014 at 2:37 p.m.

Chun <3

GenSoHotSpicy said on February 22, 2014 at 2:54 p.m.

Chun-Li is a great character no doubt, but there is a multitude of fighting game characters which I prefer: Jade, Sindel, Christie, Katsumi, Mai, Cammy, Ibuki, Aoi, Vanessa Lewis, Eileen, Elena, Alisa, Xiaoyu, Ms. Valentine to name a few.

Chun-Li's bracelets just throw me off as do her thighs. I do like her Alpha costume however.

Oxymoron said on February 22, 2014 at 4:03 p.m.

This is the scene where Jackie Chan dressed as Chun-Li. It is goofy/Japanese as hell.

pandaman64 said on February 22, 2014 at 7:29 p.m.

Mai is the most boring female character in SNK. Super generic, really. I get that she's hot? I GET that. But shes as boring as can be.

ChunLiliLover said on February 22, 2014 at 8:37 p.m.

That's cause their stories are much better. Two strong and beautiful women fighting against an evil power, one looking to avenge her father. The other trying to make amends for her past.

Who is Ryu? Some hippie walking around searching for enlightenment? Lame and boring. He doesn't even wear shoes for gods sake. He should be more like Ken, get a job and be a family man.

MadGearMG said on February 23, 2014 at 1:33 a.m.

Does anyone remember Seth's shower scene in the original Street Fighter 4? That was so random.

tidestick said on February 23, 2014 at 4:58 a.m.

Chun: Titties and Ass. Only reasons I <3 her. Haha!

Remondo02 said on February 23, 2014 at 5:47 a.m.

darthvenom said on February 23, 2014 at 8:23 a.m.

Hey! Lay off Ryu, he's awesome.

darthvenom said on February 23, 2014 at 8:24 a.m.

I love Chun Li, she's my favorite SF character after Akuma.

Lashimar said on February 23, 2014 at 10:07 a.m.

1 She just still practicing and fighting with the men.
2 She suffers from a complex missing father.
3 As a cop she dresses lightly
4 She is not interested in guys like Ibuki.
5 Her leg muscles like a bodybuilder is not an attribute of beauty
6 Evil Chun Li will be more hot and kinky };>

BunnyBoy said on February 23, 2014 at 11:02 a.m.

You say I'm the one who's butthurt, yet you're the one delivering a noticeably angry, passive-aggressive reply. Okay then. :P

I'm just saying that their opinions tend to be pretty bad. By the looks of it, many people here agree with that much.

BunnyBoy said on February 23, 2014 at 11:06 a.m.

Fair enough. Cool points to you for giving such a level-headed explanation. :)

pandaman64 said on February 23, 2014 at 11:27 a.m.

Gameplay wise, sure. So were several characters from that game (hey, oro was cool though, haha).

But mai? Aesthetically, she's easily one of the most drab and boring designs ever. Her character begins and ends with 'hot chick'.

Kuza21 said on February 23, 2014 at 1:56 p.m.

I love Chun-Li. She is my favorite female video game character ever.

Xykes said on February 23, 2014 at 9:15 p.m.

I admit, the orange outfit magically turning blue in SF2 always confused me...almost as miuch as Zangief's magically disappearing wrestling singlet...

DJScrubble said on February 24, 2014 at 6:42 a.m.

"Has so much priority, invincibility, meaty set ups, and long pokes that she won't let you play the game." is not too hard to understand.

YanDaMan said on February 24, 2014 at 12:59 p.m.

This video taught me that Bison is an old man who have a hot daughter in Legend of Chunli. ALMOST makes me want to watch it for curiosity's sake lolz

FlynnChop said on February 24, 2014 at 4:23 p.m.

Haha, remember when Chun Li was a reporter and Balrog was her camera man?? I do!

Bad times.

I really do wish I could erase that movie from history.

Kenshiro said on February 25, 2014 at 6:39 a.m.

lol this your first time visiting the net?

It'll be ok, I guess I should've just patted you on the head and indulged your whining further?

MRN_SirFoxington said on February 25, 2014 at 1:34 p.m.

I think Chun should give Dudley a shot ;) How could a lady resist a Rich Playboy in a Pink Shirt and Handling her a Red Rose from his own Garden ;)