Diddy Kong announced as next returning character in Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • February 20, 2014 at 11:30 p.m. PST
The official Super Smash Bros. website updated earlier, and revealed that Diddy Kong will be playable in Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS. Diddy makes a return from the last title in the series, Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Below are a few images to get you started, but be sure to hit the jump for Diddy's official artwork, and a couple of 3DS screens.

Click images for larger versions

Source: The official Super Smash Bros. website. Tip sent in by MightyAfro, hazelnut1112, KatzuyaSagara, and Megadautilus.

Comments

Travizion said on February 20, 2014 at 11:37 p.m.

thats whatsup

Otter_of_Death said on February 20, 2014 at 11:49 p.m.

In the spectrum between characters who were a lock and the characters who had slim-to-no-chance of coming back, Diddy was somewhere in the middle for me. Glad he's returning.

That said, half the characters who marked as the latter are confirmed, so anything's a go at this point.

SmokeRulz said on February 21, 2014 at 12:06 a.m.

Digging the HEROIC ACTION POSE of the Lucario & Samus pic. They should be a super hero trio starring in comic books or something. I'd read 'em.

diddysinatra said on February 21, 2014 at 12:08 a.m.

:D

Rising_Jaguar said on February 21, 2014 at 12:09 a.m.

to be honest, i kinda forgot he was in the game, lol

TheTHCGamer said on February 21, 2014 at 12:09 a.m.

I can't wait to play this game here's hoping for a top notch netcode.

StriderHiryu said on February 21, 2014 at 12:14 a.m.

Glad to see Diddy is back, he made a good addition in Brawl and while I didn't use him much, he was still fun to play as.

...Now, my question is, is his down B move still bananas? ...SAKURAI! lol

Paradonyx said on February 21, 2014 at 12:15 a.m.

I agree, Brawl's netcode was worse than MvC2 online lol.

Kira_Timmy said on February 21, 2014 at 12:45 a.m.

omg yeah, now everything is bonus after.. :D

Lemres said on February 21, 2014 at 12:54 a.m.

LOL at least there will be a reason for tripping instead of it being random like Brawl...
*shivers*

hazelnut1112 said on February 21, 2014 at 1:10 a.m.

The only thing I am seriously hoping for as well.
Hopefully MK8 on the Wii U will see how good it is.

hazelnut1112 said on February 21, 2014 at 1:12 a.m.

So this pretty much debunks that leaked roster earlier explaining that both Diddy and Dixie were a tag team.
Which I'm glad because I'm hoping for Isaac from Golden Sun and Dillon to make the roster somehow.

kingofthesharks said on February 21, 2014 at 1:13 a.m.

1st image = Diddy Dhalsim

OniBlanka said on February 21, 2014 at 1:42 a.m.

Would love it if Dixie made it too. Or for a stretch...Bayonetta

GiganV3 said on February 21, 2014 at 2:52 a.m.

Well this deconfirms the list that had Ridley and Mewtwo but on the bright side, that list said Krystal wasn't playable so maybe she will show up? Here's hoping for Mewtwo and Krystal. Oh! An Advance Wars character would rule as well.

MightyAfro said on February 21, 2014 at 3:02 a.m.

Return of the Deez Nutz Buster o_o

fantasyfreakvi said on February 21, 2014 at 4:31 a.m.

I'm just glad that Dixie wasn't tacked onto Diddy's moveset. Here's hoping that she gets in as her own character.

Zidiane said on February 21, 2014 at 5:04 a.m.

Oh god, I hate Diddy Kong. Even back in the Donkey Kong games. When's Dixie?

Ermapume said on February 21, 2014 at 5:19 a.m.

More high-tier monkey shenanigans will ensue.

Taizuku said on February 21, 2014 at 6:15 a.m.

Ew...why. Out of all the people I'd want to keep, Diddy is no where near that list.

Strider_Hien said on February 21, 2014 at 6:19 a.m.

Am I the only one that's digging the way these screencaps are being presented?!? They're so chuck full of personality!!! ^_^ If the game has good-great netcode,I will get the Wii-U version bar none.Diddy looks cool....Love the art in this game.

lordrockman said on February 21, 2014 at 7:06 a.m.

We like Isaac for smash 4?! Awesome!

SirRetro08 said on February 21, 2014 at 7:20 a.m.

Expected, but cool beans! I see they're releasing the characters a bit more at a time. I know they're doing it to celebrate game releases and anniversaries at certain times, but if it's gonna be a lot of characters, especially more than Brawl, than they still got a long way to go before the final roster maybe.

Dias4Flac said on February 21, 2014 at 8:38 a.m.

I believe the devs themselves said the roster wont be as big as brawl. correct me if im wrong

SirRetro08 said on February 21, 2014 at 9:15 a.m.

I'm sure it will. Plus, we don't know the day of its release so, I'm sure they have time to add more. And there are more characters Nintendo can use while keeping many of the veterans. Originally I would kind of agree with you. But since chars like King Dedede, Olimar, Toon Link, and Lucario returning as well as many other few Brawl newcomers, I don't think there will be much of a replacement/removing thing. And a while back, someone posted details on every single spoiler in one of the earlier Smash posts (I assume Lucario). And it's been very accurate.

Hotdiddykong said on February 21, 2014 at 9:42 a.m.

Gotta love those expressions, really loving how improved they are to Brawls stale look.

They say anyone who mains Diddy has transcended humanity.

Hotdiddykong said on February 21, 2014 at 9:42 a.m.

Good to see N64 DK64 jetpack and not the more hideous incarnation, I love returns and tropical freeze but the jetpack's design is very dull

Hotdiddykong said on February 21, 2014 at 9:48 a.m.

People love to interpret the quote wrong.

Sakurai didn't say anything, he only said that Brawl had a good character amount and that he doesn't think the roster needs to be too much like 50 or something, however he is a top ruser like Kojima.

2 more Characters and we would have more than Melee's roster and more than The Brawl veterans revealed on the website that aren't locked.

Hotdiddykong said on February 21, 2014 at 9:51 a.m.

There were tons of "spoilers" from supposed people, some are very finicky but the thing is one major one didn't predict Lucario and only assumed Diddy would be revealed around the time, otherwise it's too easy to predict veterans.

Though that one person who literally made 4 out of 6 predictions right is either really lucky or right since he predicted before Smash originally happened: Megaman, animal crosser, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Mii's and Pacman.

P0LARCLAW said on February 21, 2014 at 10:13 a.m.

Mah favorite Kong! YAY!

ShadowGeno said on February 21, 2014 at 10:18 a.m.

meh ...

CRUZ said on February 21, 2014 at 10:19 a.m.

Why keep Lucario, Toon Link and Diddy when not every Brawl character can return?! Makes no freaking sense to me.

Batmang said on February 21, 2014 at 10:51 a.m.

Yes, annoying monkey returns! Although I hope this doesn't deconfirm that leaked list. Ridley would be so awesome.

TheTHCGamer said on February 21, 2014 at 10:58 a.m.

I actually bought the LAN adapter so I can play on a wired connection and random matches with brawl still felt like they were underwater. Granted I do have to put some of the blame on Wii owners because a good majority of them don't go out of there way to have solid online connections but that also falls on Nintendo because there consoles have never been online oriented consoles. Drives me nuts because I don't have the same time that I did when I was younger like when I had all night sessions with friends some that lasted into the early morning.

So yea miss those days of playing smash bros on N64 and Melee however online is now my main source of play these days. Here's hoping we get a netcode on the same level of TTT2 since namco is working on the game after all ;). Lastly I hope the developers continue to support the game after it's released because patches fixing problems or improving the game would be nice.

Gladspencer said on February 21, 2014 at 11:15 a.m.

MaysTheCraze said on February 21, 2014 at 11:50 a.m.

Yes, time for me to get destroyed by bananas again!

Shingekidre said on February 21, 2014 at 12:01 p.m.

Hey what about that sexy blue fox ;) lets put her in the game. #krystal

GoodMan said on February 21, 2014 at 2:17 p.m.

My favorite monkeys are back!

hazelnut1112 said on February 21, 2014 at 3:06 p.m.

This was my same damn problem. I bought one of those as well and they worked like a charm when downloading games and using the browser. Big difference, but it still made playing games onlines unbearable as hell.

wallace604 said on February 21, 2014 at 4:14 p.m.

dj dicks called it last week

RoRilla said on February 21, 2014 at 4:54 p.m.

Hope they nerf him so only 1 banana on screen at a time.

Gurpwnder said on February 21, 2014 at 8:26 p.m.

Namco's only working on the 3DS version.

HyperViperNZ said on February 21, 2014 at 8:36 p.m.

Still no Dixie?...Please put her in.

TheTHCGamer said on February 22, 2014 at 10:35 a.m.

Really I thought they were also helping out with the development of the Wii U version? In fact I'm pretty sure if you look it up there the ones working on the Wii U version.

Gurpwnder said on February 22, 2014 at 2:12 p.m.

Read the first paragraph on the page.

TheTHCGamer said on February 23, 2014 at 9:49 a.m.

Read it again it doesn't say anything about namco Bandai working only on the 3DS version and it actually states there the main developers working on it. Pretty sure there working on both versions of the game.

HyperViperNZ said on February 23, 2014 at 5:32 p.m.

You're right. They are working on both versions.