Zack Morris has left Bayside High, and is now... Ryu? The wandering warrior provides a transcript of battle sayings on the Pete Holmes Show

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • February 18, 2014 at 9:04 a.m. PST
Yes, you read that headline correctly. In a brief comedy sketch on the Pete Holmes Show, a late-night talk-show that airs on TBS, none other than Street Fighter's wandering warrior, Ryu, made an appearance.

In order to compete in the next world tournament, and seek revenge on Sagat, Ryu must provide a transcript of everything he says during battle. Ryu begins with his classic special moves: "Hadouken, Shoryuken," but things get a bit difficult when the Hurricane Kick comes up...

During this clip, you may spot a familiar face underneath the cosplay. That's right, Mark-Paul Gosselaar, most famously know for playing Zack Morris on the late 80s television series Saved by the Bell, is Ryu. Zack Morris is Ryu. Did you ever think you'd hear that in your lifetime?

We've got some screen caps below of Gosselaar in the Ryu get-up, and hit the jump to check out the video clip.

Click images for larger versions

Source: The Pete Holmes Show. Tips sent in by xyoungHawk, Chris, Zero888, krls, USAtlas, and BlackOnyxThunder.

Comments

Dreamking23 said on February 18, 2014 at 9:08 a.m.

All I have to say about this story is.... Put_Screech_In_Marvel

Sage_Liebert said on February 18, 2014 at 9:09 a.m.

It's like every year ryu is revealed to be commonly known amongst the mainstream.

SHOGUN said on February 18, 2014 at 9:12 a.m.

TEEN LINE! THIS IS NITRO!

Tryken said on February 18, 2014 at 9:13 a.m.

Maybe I'm too close to Street Fighter, but I found this to be more offensive than anything else.

Let me just go down the list of them.

- Ken and Ryu gay together joke? check.

- Completely making fun of the Japanese language because it sounds different? check. (I'm talking about making fun of Ryu's name, not how he says the name of the hurricane kick, which does come out extremely fast and in a jumbled mess).

- Further playing up Ryu being a homosexual and loving butts because the writer couldn't think up anything else? Check.

It sounds like this guy wanted to continue the X-Men trend with Street Fighter, picked Ryu because he was the most famous, then realized, "Wow, there's really nothing all that goofy immediately about Ryu." Why not play up the fact that he travels by himself with a bag? He's a fighting hobo. Or the fact he really has no hobbies? The fact that in every movie he gets possessed with the dark haudo but somehow overcomes it every. single. time? On second thought, this last part wouldn't immediately be funny to a casual audience, but I can't imagine this being funny to one either.

sarif2soon said on February 18, 2014 at 9:14 a.m.

I'm pretty sure it's "ARMPITANDPOOPCAT".

bunny said on February 18, 2014 at 9:18 a.m.

saved by the bell=time out win

ibukkeke said on February 18, 2014 at 9:19 a.m.

I'm sure it's i'd like some poundcake

Evorgleb said on February 18, 2014 at 9:23 a.m.

he clearly says TATSUMAKI SENPUU KYAKU. How can someone not hear that?

Seriously the word for the Hurricane Kick is a bit long and hard to say. In SFIV Ryu often says "TATSUMAKI" and does not even bother to say the rest of it.

SHOGUN said on February 18, 2014 at 9:25 a.m.

I'm sure its probably more funny for the sake of nostalgia than it is for the actual jokes (IE Zack Morris as Ryu). Also this is probably a very obscure reference to the general audience especially for somebody unfamiliar to Street Fighter lore. While Pete Holmes standup can be funny, not sure if he translates well to sketch comedy, but I have to see more of the show. Not everybody can hit it out of the park like Chappelle did.

BlackOnyxThunder said on February 18, 2014 at 9:26 a.m.

:D I love watching this.

seanyd said on February 18, 2014 at 9:38 a.m.

wow you'd be a blast at a party.

ryuhayabusa13 said on February 18, 2014 at 9:40 a.m.

In the Xmen vs Street fighter and Marvel Super heroes, the Announcer says what ryu just did when you finish round wish hurricane super.

SHINKUU TATSUMAKI SENPUU KYAKU!!! (it would suck if ryu had to say all that)

sarif2soon said on February 18, 2014 at 9:59 a.m.

Have you heard it in SF2? Go ahead, listen to what he says. You'll get why they say he doesn't know how to say it.

HeatEXTEND said on February 18, 2014 at 10:05 a.m.

relax lol

HooliganComboFTW said on February 18, 2014 at 10:09 a.m.

Lol imagine if Lui Kang was there and was questioned what he was saying during his bicycle kick.

The skit was actually decent...until the from left-field gay jokes came which degraded the quality.

NissanZaxima said on February 18, 2014 at 10:15 a.m.

Fighting Games in Pop Culture Hubs.

Kenshiro said on February 18, 2014 at 10:20 a.m.

It's not that serious Broseph.

doublef said on February 18, 2014 at 10:36 a.m.

for those who are used to Ryu clearly saying "tatsumaki senpukyaku" nowadays, go back and watch some SF2 WW vids. Back when I was a kid, I always thought he was saying something more like "A-fight dah bird kick", or "a-fike da blurrkid"

Tapion817 said on February 18, 2014 at 10:37 a.m.

Someone is too sensitive.

danny2times said on February 18, 2014 at 10:51 a.m.

Ha ha ha yeah man that was awesome, they dealt with some seeks issues at good ol bay side high. Man I had a thing for Jessie, but show girls killed it.

roknin said on February 18, 2014 at 11:07 a.m.

I didn't understand what the hell he was *supposed* to be saying until like 1999.

And I still argue that's not what he says in SF2 to this day lol.

This was awesome, btw.

ExcellentYong said on February 18, 2014 at 11:16 a.m.

Put Arnold in Street Fighter.

Tryken said on February 18, 2014 at 12:03 p.m.

I'm not sensitive. I think the central joke is funny enough. Nobody knew what Ryu said back then. I certainly did. Maybe the comedian just rubs me the wrong way like he did in some of the X-Men skits.

But some parts of the skit just felt like needless filler because he couldn't think of any other jokes.

RedRapperSux said on February 18, 2014 at 12:40 p.m.

Japanese make fun of us too. They even think "blackface" is acceptable. It's all mutual fun and games. Knock it off.

Nightblade777 said on February 18, 2014 at 12:41 p.m.

This guy did one of these with Vega a while back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VdURS...

Tryken said on February 18, 2014 at 12:51 p.m.

I don't mean "offensive" as in, "I'm deeply offended." I mean, I think the skit is just shooting to be offensive and vulgar instead of witty. It has one relevant SF joke in the entire thing, and that's the hurricane kick pronunciation, which is pretty funny. And that's it. The rest is just "Okay, well, that's all we remember from the early 90s. Quick, toss some butt-related gay jokes in about Ryu. It's all we have left!"

Eye_of_Orochi said on February 18, 2014 at 12:52 p.m.

@ Tryken

I'm sorry, but unless you knew what the name was by seeing it written out beforehand, you're an audio-bit analyzing god, or are well versed in Japanese, I just can not see how can clearly hear the exact words "Tatsumaki Shenpuu Kyaku" out of Ryu in SF2.

I can almost hear it, it sounds like "Tatsuma Shenpu Kick", but there is no way you heard that back in the day and said "oh, he says Tatsumaki Shenpuu Kyaku" without having knowledge of the move's true name beforehand.

Tryken said on February 18, 2014 at 1:22 p.m.

I just realized I typo'd in my comment. It should read "I certainly didn't." My mistake on that. I absolutely had no idea what Ryu said as a kid while performing that kick.

Eye_of_Orochi said on February 18, 2014 at 2:18 p.m.

Lol my mistake as well then. I was like damn if he's being truthful I am impressed

Garcian_Ulmeyda said on February 18, 2014 at 4:16 p.m.

Actually the sound Zack Morris is making is the sound from SFII. Ryu and Ken both said the thing Zack said

FlynnChop said on February 18, 2014 at 4:31 p.m.

It is pretty funny. It's always been written down as Tatsumaki Sempukyaku but he NEVER said that in SF2. I grew up reading it and hearing it and trying to connect the two... it never happened.

Whatever he's saying in SF2, it's not Japanese OR English.

Mufasa3151 said on February 18, 2014 at 4:55 p.m.

Awesome!

Mufasa3151 said on February 18, 2014 at 5:14 p.m.

Man some of you need to lighten up.

Sadisticcupid said on February 18, 2014 at 5:59 p.m.

I understand the point you're trying to make but you went way too far with the example

OhYouDontSayThat said on February 18, 2014 at 6:14 p.m.

stick to knock-knock jokes. they're more your speed.

RedRapperSux said on February 18, 2014 at 7:52 p.m.

Not one damn bit, but I guess I could stick to the usual, overused, "SF is one of the most stereotypical games ever made". (Made by Japanese)

danny2times said on February 18, 2014 at 7:55 p.m.

You are obviously a communist.

Triforce said on February 19, 2014 at 1:53 a.m.

Must say I find this hilarious as people's pronunciation of tatsumaki senpuu kyaku has indeed been that badly off since SF2, me included once upon a time. XD

Teags said on February 19, 2014 at 6:38 a.m.

HEARTATTACKFRUITCUP

RonaldRogan said on February 19, 2014 at 8:15 a.m.

You must be all sorts of bored to find something this tame offensive. I can't imagine you making it through a full program on TV.