PR Balrog's Killer Instinct tier list - feels Orchid can combat everyone in the game, but struggles with Sadira

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • February 17, 2014 at 2 p.m. PST

Double Helix Games' community manager FilthieRich has asked Killer Instinct players to arrange the characters in a list from best to worst. Rich notes that if one feels two characters are tied for the same spot, they can both be listed on the same number spot.

EG|PR Balrog, an avid Orchid player, has gone ahead and posted his list over on the DHG forums. All of the 7 characters are listed here (including Spinal), and PR 'Rog left a brief note saying that he feels Orchid can properly battle the whole roster, but Sadira gives her trouble.

Hit the jump to check out the listing, and feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below.

EG|PR Balrog's Killer Instinct tier list

1. Sabrewulf
2. Glacius/Sadira
3. Orchid/Jago
4. Thunder
5. Spinal

Source: Double Helix Games.

Comments

YMB9Shinzou said on February 17, 2014 at 2:08 p.m.

Dunno about Spinal being below Thunder..

diddysinatra said on February 17, 2014 at 2:17 p.m.

yeah, I don't know if he should be below Thunder, but Thunder does put the brakes on Spinal pretty easily.

sarif2soon said on February 17, 2014 at 2:17 p.m.

Damn, where'd you get that picture from?

FlynnChop said on February 17, 2014 at 2:17 p.m.

Seems legit.

Hackstermatrix said on February 17, 2014 at 2:27 p.m.

Shortest tier lit I've ever seen.

YMB9Shinzou said on February 17, 2014 at 2:28 p.m.

As a Glacius player I'd say:

1.Sabrewulf
2.Jago
3.Sadira
4.Glacius
5.Orchid
6.Spinal
7.Thunder

I do think this is just as of now though, I think that time goes on that Spinal will move up and the simplicity of Jago will matter less and he'll move down. Also Glacius would be higher if you factor in just how good he is against Saberwulf.

TorTorVega said on February 17, 2014 at 2:28 p.m.

Tier list so small you could probably fit it on Twitter.

perfume said on February 17, 2014 at 2:41 p.m.

Pat1711 said on February 17, 2014 at 2:57 p.m.

Right now the tier list should be -

1. Sadira
2. Spinal
3. Sabrewulf
4. Glacius
5. Jago
6. Thunder
7. Orchid

Burnt said on February 17, 2014 at 2:58 p.m.

Thunder looks fu*king sinister in that thumbnail

Phraudulence said on February 17, 2014 at 3:04 p.m.

Lol wtf is wrong with these tier list ..spinal has ridiculous set ups destroys orchid and jago stops glacius set ups ,thunder and Sadira are unfavorable for him that's it .

1) saberwulf
2) Sadira
3) Spinal
4) Glacius
5) Orchid
6) Thunder
7) Jago

NoizyChild said on February 17, 2014 at 3:06 p.m.

Orchid: No means no, Thunder!

Thunder: Say baby, what happens when your Firecat meets my Tomahawk? Let's find out.

FlynnChop said on February 17, 2014 at 3:12 p.m.

Light hail can stop a lot of Spinal's damage potential from teleport, and Spinal can be knocked out of his standard and shadow ports on startup. Glacius also gets out of lots of Spinal's fireball pressure for free just by having hail, and shoulder charge. Not all of it, mind you, but a good Glacius can make Spinal play a different game.

I wouldn't say it's as clear-cut as you're saying. I think in standard sets Glacius beats Spinal. Glacius also has the same bad matchups as Spinal, but they aren't AS bad for him.

ABSOLute said on February 17, 2014 at 3:17 p.m.

It looks to me like Orchid is trying to ward off Thunder by making her escrima into a cross.

Orchid: The power of Christ compels you!

Thunder: You've got to be kidding me...

doublef said on February 17, 2014 at 3:18 p.m.

I'd say Rog's list is pretty spot on. Although I don't think I'd put Spinal below Thunder just yet. I know everyone was dazzled by Valle's Thunder last week at TRB, but Thunder's only real threat is Shadow Command grab. Once people become more aware of where / when he can snatch you, he'll become less threatening. Getting anti-air'd in this game is sort of negligible when compared to how much damage combos and grabs do.

But the first 5 characters he listed I totally agree with:
1. Sabrewulf
2. Glacius/Sadira
3. Orchid/Jago

Sabre just has too many super good tools. Backdash is amazing to escape pressure and run from dangerous Instinct abilities (Sadira web, Orchid firecat). Forward dash through opponents is still ridiculous. Shadow Eclipse... ridiculous. Chain normals are amazing and have many OS applications. Using cr.MP ~ st.HP as a manual has an animation glitch making it super fast and super hard to break. Having chain normals work as manuals is ridiculous (and super easy). His 6 frame long-range sweep is ridiculous in footsies. His cr.HK is insanely active and beats all jump attacks with no spacing / timing required.

Glacius is the only character with a DP-style reversal that acts as an opener. His space control is amazing obviously. His wakeup is not perfect but still better than Sadira and Spinal. His Instinct allows him to instantly take back momentum near the end of each lifebar (the 2 most important moments in a match).

Sadira is a decent character with terrible wakeup, but her Instinct is so insanely powerful she can rip through a full lifebar within seconds when utilized properly.

Orchid has excellent pressure and blockstrings. Like Sadira, her Instinct can turn things around very fast. Her Shadow Flik Flak is very hard to break as a linker and her combo damage is beefy.

Jago is definitely dropping quickly. For a while everyone thought his blockstring nonsense and + frames were super dominant, but people are starting to learn the holes in it, i.e. when to DP, or when he's no longer +, when to press a button or throw, etc. Most characters can also just backdash after blocking any part of it and reset the situation. People are also getting smarter with Shadow Counters, which can blow Jago the F up on all of his commonly used 2-hit blockstrings (anything xx Sword, anything xx Windkick, f+HK, crossup j.MK ~ cr. whatever).

Spinal can create havoc on screen with skulls / instinct, and his curses can dramatically change things, but his wakeup is so bad it can be hard for him to start anything. All teleports can be thrown on the way down, and hit / thrown on the way back up (even when skull-canceled). Shadow teleport will lose to meaties, as the opponent just recovers in time and blocks. Slide and divekick are terribly unsafe. His throw range and backdash are pitiful.

YMB9Shinzou said on February 17, 2014 at 3:32 p.m.

Once Glacius goes down it's really tricky.. His reversal is no good once he has been knocked down making him free to cross up and mix up. Could shoulder out is his only real option but most of the cast can at least put him under pressure if they're ready for it.

Otter_of_Death said on February 17, 2014 at 3:34 p.m.

Glacius is a bit high IMO, but other than that, I mostly agree. I'd place Glacius number 4 right under Jago.

gigantor21 said on February 17, 2014 at 3:38 p.m.

Devil Thunder!? :O

Phraudulence said on February 17, 2014 at 3:41 p.m.

I understand what it saying I main glacius to and once you force him out of the shatter set ups he has no over head u block low and be patient and standard is not what we are taking about though although I do understand but everybody forgets that spinal has a parry that not only absorbs hits giving you skulls but creates any fishing attempt of your opponent and turns into a full blown punish. spinal his self in General is not a clear cut character his learning curve is high just like glacius I mean the parry is what makes him dominate the jago and orchid match up and if we are talking in terms of pr balrogs level of play then those types of things to into account

BaltimoreAce said on February 17, 2014 at 3:45 p.m.

i would probably switch galcius with jago on his list but i think its dead on. I ppl are listing jago as the weakest they obviously don't know much about the game.

Phraudulence said on February 17, 2014 at 4:11 p.m.

Baltimore ace hit me up my gt is IFC glacius

anthonygamer said on February 17, 2014 at 4:52 p.m.

Opinion list are fun

AK47 said on February 17, 2014 at 5:34 p.m.

Can't wait till fulgore comes out he'll be 1st on everyone's list

Hotdiddykong said on February 17, 2014 at 6:15 p.m.

As a Sabrewolf player, Thunder should be higher, Thunder is like a counter to this guy.

Cerevega_Alexandersson said on February 17, 2014 at 6:17 p.m.

I will never understand why people get so annoyed and bemused by one person's opinion. This is Rog's tier list guys; calm down (y)

Darklurkr23 said on February 17, 2014 at 6:39 p.m.

Omg people 7 characters.

7 Characters.

ArkticDark said on February 17, 2014 at 7:57 p.m.

Jago = Wesker. Lol!

Why is the only 2 characters I wanna play the worst characters? That sux!

Ermapume said on February 17, 2014 at 8:22 p.m.

I wouldn't rank Spinal that low.

GodzOfTheArenaTV said on February 17, 2014 at 9:16 p.m.

Thunder puts Spinal in check

HyperViperNZ said on February 17, 2014 at 9:35 p.m.

Sadira
Saberwulf
Orchid
Jago
Spinal
Thunder

Oddly enough though, I'm a Sadira mainer and Thunder is my hardest matchup. That damn headbutt uppercut thingy.

Focusflute said on February 17, 2014 at 9:35 p.m.

Sabrewulf
Sadira
Jago
Spinal
Thunder
Glacius
Orchid

Focusflute said on February 17, 2014 at 9:36 p.m.

Double Helix wants your input on the tier list:

xShonuffx said on February 17, 2014 at 10:28 p.m.

Thunder rape face. >_<

Dimensional said on February 18, 2014 at 3:07 a.m.

I have yet to see anything that shows Orchid as anything other than mostly trash maybe I should watch PR Rog play her but then again I think hes one of those players who can make almost any character look good.

AugustAPC said on February 18, 2014 at 5:31 a.m.

If a player can make a character good, then that character is good.

mudwick said on February 18, 2014 at 5:40 a.m.

Im not good at tier lists but when I play with Orchid (my main) I find Sadria gives me the most headaches and Thunder is the easiest to fight against.

blitzhalo said on February 18, 2014 at 7:12 a.m.

I agree with this list 100%.

EMP_FecalMatter said on February 18, 2014 at 9:35 a.m.

check it out. Pr Rog (Orchid) vs Justin (S.Wulf) at KIT tournament. its Grand Finals with Rog in losers. also note that Pr Rog faced like 5 other solid Wulf players in this tournaments top 8.

MarthFE said on February 18, 2014 at 11:22 a.m.

The roster is too small to be putting characters in the same tier. Even if they're comparable, they're not the same or similar enough to warrant equal placements.