Characters will get new trials and challenges in Ultra Street Fighter 4; ComboFiend feels this will be the 'definitive version of SF4'

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • February 17, 2014 at 8:33 a.m. PST

The upcoming Street Fighter 4 series update draws ever closer, and although we don't know the identity of the mysterious fifth character just yet, new information continues to trickle from the lips of the developers. Capcom fighting specialist Peter "ComboFiend" Rosas recently took part in an interview in which he spoke about Ultra Street Fighter 4's character balance, content, and more.

Upon Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition's official release it added four new fighters. Unfortunately, it did not come equipped with new combo trials for these warriors, and many fans have since requested that new challenges be implemented.

When asked if this situation would be addressed in Ultra Street Fighter 4, ComboFiend gave a quick confirmation that we will indeed see new trials, although he couldn't reveal too much at this time. "Yes, we will be working on new challenges, and we’ll have more details to share at a later date."

Hit the jump to read more.

The previous series in the Street Fighter cannon underwent similar upgrades to Street Fighter 4 before it reached its full potential. Street Fighter 3 Third Strike added new characters and balance tweaks, making it the most definitive installment in the SF3 series. Peter feels that Ultra Street Fighter 4 will walk the same path, but will take it even further solely because of its unique incorporation of fan feedback.

"I believe that Ultra Street Fighter IV will absolutely be the definitive version of Street Fighter IV, but for one entirely different reason than that of Third Strike. Third Strike was definitive in that it added new characters, tweaked the battle engine and had extremely deep gameplay. Ultra Street Fighter IV also shares those same qualities, yet it goes one step further by taking into account direct fan feedback in regards to character balance," ComboFiend explained.

"This approach has been totally unprecedented in the history of Capcom’s fighting game history. It’s the inclusion of these suggestions that change this from a game created by Capcom for consumers, to a game called for by the fans, for the fans."

Source: GodIsAGeek. Tip sent in by David_I.

Comments

Mochawhitey said on February 17, 2014 at 8:35 a.m.

No brainer!

Wardog said on February 17, 2014 at 8:36 a.m.

That's good to hear. Now work on bringing back Championship mode!

Atax1s said on February 17, 2014 at 8:36 a.m.

Awesome! I've been waiting for new character trials. Now being back vanilla challenge mode.

Posthuman15 said on February 17, 2014 at 8:37 a.m.

SF4 has became another tekken... Way too many chars and MUs to learn. Not sure if I want to put myselft through that!

diddysinatra said on February 17, 2014 at 8:38 a.m.

I want the option to play Indestructible as the main theme. Anything after that is gravy.

DannyBoyPERU said on February 17, 2014 at 8:40 a.m.

Awwwwww <3

MRN_SirFoxington said on February 17, 2014 at 8:40 a.m.

Oh that's so Dandy! I cant wait to see Dudleys new Titles <3 (well If they add new Titles to each Characters of course ) P.s will be the other ones from SSF4 AE still be available in USF4? just curious :)

* Dudley wears Pink and is a Rich Playboy *

mundaney said on February 17, 2014 at 8:42 a.m.

i really hope they change the character select screen and music. We've been looking at the same thing for years now.

tsgrimey said on February 17, 2014 at 8:48 a.m.

sweet bejesus...look at the size of Hugo's palm

MRN_SirFoxington said on February 17, 2014 at 8:48 a.m.

Agree ! but iam pretty sure Capcom will change it :)

KataM said on February 17, 2014 at 8:49 a.m.

And will we be able to play with USFIV to SSFIV:AE just as we could with SSFIV:AE to SSFIV?

Anon said on February 17, 2014 at 8:50 a.m.

How about searching for Endless 1v1 matches, or the ability to be in training mode waiting for someone to enter your lobby?

People would get so much more out of these features than new trials/challenges.

Blackoshinomi said on February 17, 2014 at 8:50 a.m.

Just put the song on your hard drive and play it during gameplay .

GiBGUN said on February 17, 2014 at 8:51 a.m.

Yes!!! The small things make a big difference. Thank you Capcom

Baby_Astaroth said on February 17, 2014 at 8:52 a.m.

It's not going to be that hard. All you have to do is adjust to a few changes per character and some system changes. It's not like you're actually having to learn a new game. SF4 overall isn't a complicated game.

BamDigga said on February 17, 2014 at 8:53 a.m.

well they want it to be the best street fighter ... i hope that they´ll copy the whole hitbox/training stuff of killer instinct .. the nerdiger it gets, the longer it will live !

Akua said on February 17, 2014 at 8:53 a.m.

Yes! As worthless as some of the later trials can be, I learned alot of things during trial mode.

Kijui said on February 17, 2014 at 8:54 a.m.

Yeah those trials are actually from Super... Because of the way Dan has changed, most of them aren't useful to me (then again I beat them during Super)

HighOnPCP said on February 17, 2014 at 8:54 a.m.

godlike, love doing trials

perfume said on February 17, 2014 at 8:59 a.m.

Blackoshinomi said on February 17, 2014 at 9 a.m.

I hate how quick dan blocks during trials

WakeUpUltra said on February 17, 2014 at 9 a.m.

Thank god it's only been 5 iterations to get the definitive version of sf4.

Nah but for real I'm pretty excited to do my homework on the new trials though.

RedEther said on February 17, 2014 at 9:03 a.m.

I expect to see more "definitive" versions of games in the future.

rakuko said on February 17, 2014 at 9:04 a.m.

oh god i wonder if Combofiend's gonna pick the combos for the Trials.

AriesWarlock said on February 17, 2014 at 9:04 a.m.

That's pretty cool. Now if there was a way to disable v-sync on PS3.

Sage_Liebert said on February 17, 2014 at 9:07 a.m.

SF3 3rd Strike: when a scrub powers up Pt.1

MRN_SirFoxington said on February 17, 2014 at 9:08 a.m.

Personally I don't mind that Capcom brings out Mulitple Versions of Street Fighter Games.. There is ALWAYS room for Improvements regardless.

sarif2soon said on February 17, 2014 at 9:09 a.m.

It'll be definitive when you start balancing them right.

gost_body said on February 17, 2014 at 9:09 a.m.

Would be amazing if they did more than just combo challenges.

like do challenges on reactions, mix ups, set ups, frame traps, spacing.

There is more to the game than just combos

Clamper said on February 17, 2014 at 9:11 a.m.

I think SF4 is far more intuitive than Tekken as far as learning MUs goes.

Burn said on February 17, 2014 at 9:13 a.m.

Woohoo! New trials! Not looking forward to beating Viper's again, but I've done it several times now. You'd think I would actually have no trouble doing it again.

MRN_SirFoxington said on February 17, 2014 at 9:16 a.m.

True ! I don't want to criticize tekken in no way but I think we would all agree on that SF-GamePlay and Pulling off Combos is a bit more difficult than in Tekken games...

Scorpion181185 said on February 17, 2014 at 9:17 a.m.

Delayed wake up is "no go". It's a stupid system and destroys the game. Adding four new chars means learn new matchups. Sorry capcom has destroyed this game. Red focus is nearly useless. No need. Balance update isn't fairly done. Vega needs more buff!!!
To add stages from sfxt is a big joke. Capcom don't kid street fighter fans!!!

TaurusMAGNUS said on February 17, 2014 at 9:18 a.m.

Awesome!!!!

FightingGameLover90 said on February 17, 2014 at 9:18 a.m.

nobody is forcing you to learn every character, i don't understand why people complain about rosters "skullgrils don't have enough characters so the game sucks, tekken has too many characters so the games suck"

street fighter has been around for 20+ years, so yeah the roster expands, deal with it

Capcom_Warrior said on February 17, 2014 at 9:18 a.m.

This is great news! Can't wait to unlock some new titles! I'm so pumped for this game!

perfume said on February 17, 2014 at 9:22 a.m.

LeonX said on February 17, 2014 at 9:22 a.m.

Well, there it gone my 100% trophy completion in this game, but after one year and a month of psn offline I did these damn trials (Abel, El Fuerte and C. Viper) so I will be able to do these new ones :D

MRN_SirFoxington said on February 17, 2014 at 9:23 a.m.

The only thing I would kind of agree on is the Delayed wake-up and red focus mechanic...I saw the fights between Daigo and Bonchan at some of the japan arcade events for USF4 just a few days ago and NON of those Gentlemen bothered to use either of those mechanics in a bout,so far...

shinra358 said on February 17, 2014 at 9:37 a.m.

No point in trials period unless:

A. you actually get taught things that you can actually use in a real match.

B. Unlock costumes, artwork, concept art, alternate movies, etc.

Otherwise it's pointless and is the one thing that barely ever gets touched.

L said on February 17, 2014 at 9:41 a.m.

Nice. Now they just need to implement MVC's AI (where you could play against AI based on top players) and the single player experience will be complete.

SAMURAI said on February 17, 2014 at 9:43 a.m.

@ Combofiend

Don't talk about fan feedback, you guys just don't care. We are asking for Championship Mode since Super came out and you refuse to give it back.

Aluppoj said on February 17, 2014 at 9:43 a.m.

This should make a BUNCH of people happy! People have been requesting new trials for years.

Good stuff Capcom. Spoiling your fans!

tsgrimey said on February 17, 2014 at 9:47 a.m.

Trials were never about making use of them in battle and most are not practical at all. The whole point of trials are to train beginners and others on executing tougher linked-combos. So this is actually a good starting point for doing p-links. Trials are a good part of the game for challenges.

Aluppoj said on February 17, 2014 at 9:48 a.m.

Please Samurai, don't be an a$$.

They've done EVERYTHING short of championship mode.

From characters, balancing, online training, new trials, menus, loc tests, fan feedback change logs.

They obviously care. This is the most involved fans have ever been in a Street Fighter game!

ReptileKhan said on February 17, 2014 at 9:49 a.m.

USF4 needs a proper tutorial that explains the game mechanics and how the game works. The lack of one is what keep most new players away.
I remember, when I started playing SSF4, almost ragequitting because I had no idea how the game works. Trials are completely useless for new players.

Aluppoj said on February 17, 2014 at 9:50 a.m.

I've completed the trials 100% in Vanilla and Super, I use several of the trial combos in real matches. Especially the Chun Li and Ken trials.

Aluppoj said on February 17, 2014 at 9:53 a.m.

It sounds like the issue is your inability to learn by playing/practicing.

YouTube is the reference bible for SF4 tutorials.

Kenshiro said on February 17, 2014 at 9:56 a.m.

Using trials to unlock content is completely dumb. If you're not being challenged or can find a practical use for them this game isn't your game.

Furthermore the trials shouldn't have been absent from AE for the new cast...aswell as rival cutscenes.

Kenshiro said on February 17, 2014 at 9:58 a.m.

Wow sounds like you were introduced to SF way too late with these series of games.

SF at it's base is not complicated...you want your hand to be held.

Raven76 said on February 17, 2014 at 10 a.m.

"ComboFiend feels this will be the 'definitive version of SF4'"

ok... sure.... I'm already preparing myself to capcom's announcement of Ultra Street fighter 4 - 2015 Edition

AlphaLegend said on February 17, 2014 at 10 a.m.

Definitive version?! That's a shame.... would be great if we got Karin & Alex as DLC!!!!!

Doctrine_Dark said on February 17, 2014 at 10:06 a.m.

So happy we're getting new challenges. I can't wait!

MrNova749 said on February 17, 2014 at 10:10 a.m.

You gotta tighten up those links.

Aluppoj said on February 17, 2014 at 10:10 a.m.

That'd be a good thing. Keep SF going!

GodPride said on February 17, 2014 at 10:11 a.m.

Hopefully, Vega receives changes that Vega players actually wanted other than the Cr.LP and EX Scarlet buffs, since those were deemed cheap.

Aluppoj said on February 17, 2014 at 10:11 a.m.

Loving these comments! Like, Like and more Like!

pants4ever said on February 17, 2014 at 10:11 a.m.

spman2099 said on February 17, 2014 at 10:11 a.m.

I am pretty sure that the "fan input" was all a crock of s**t. It was more a matter of humoring people, and less about actually listening to them.

David_I said on February 17, 2014 at 10:16 a.m.

Case in point:

Fans: "We want those classic stages from the old games to Ultra!" :D

Capcom: ***ported stages from SFxT no one asked for***

XD :P

Aluppoj said on February 17, 2014 at 10:16 a.m.

Because they couldn't want feedback right? Why so paranoid dude?

Accepting feedback doesn't mean incorporating EVERY idea fans put out there. It means they used the opinions when balancing the new game.

Aluppoj said on February 17, 2014 at 10:17 a.m.

I asked for those stages (The SFxT ones).

Why do you think you speak for everyone?

MRN_SirFoxington said on February 17, 2014 at 10:18 a.m.

yea you are totally right ! if somebody wants to learn the game in general look it up on youtube ! if somebody wants to learn his main/fav. character,look his SF-idol up on youtube ! the only effort a player have to make is to invest a bit of his time into it and you should be on your path...this is how I learned my Dudley of stalking Marn on youtube and his matches :D

ShinzoBishamon said on February 17, 2014 at 10:19 a.m.

Ok if y'all think SF is harder than Tekken y'all have some problems

David_I said on February 17, 2014 at 10:21 a.m.

You asked for them? Well, your wish got granted. Congrats. But the other 95% of us didn't want them. lol.

You're in the extreme minority when it comes to this.

Aluppoj said on February 17, 2014 at 10:23 a.m.

Yup, agree totally.

Nemo was my Chun Li inspiration. And his style wasn't going to be found in a tutorial mode. Studying him, completing the trials, playing a ton!

That's the recipe.

If you care about learning a character, a little research goes a long way!

MRN_SirFoxington said on February 17, 2014 at 10:24 a.m.

iam pleased tbh with the new stages so far.... we all don't even know if Capcom is going to add several other ones! maybe they have a few for a surprise for us.."Dont judge the Book by its Cover"

Aluppoj said on February 17, 2014 at 10:24 a.m.

That's cool, I account for 5% of the entire FGC?

Nice. That makes me a bada$$. ; )

MRN_SirFoxington said on February 17, 2014 at 10:28 a.m.

You got it :D P.s : are you on PSN? if so, I would be pleased to add you to my gentleman's List :)

Aluppoj said on February 17, 2014 at 10:28 a.m.

I'm not in the minority that realizes that getting something cool > getting nothing at all.

I haven't had a new stage to look at in SF in years.

Reusing assets isn't a new concept in video games my man. And I think these stages (tweaked) will fit great within the SF universe.

Aluppoj said on February 17, 2014 at 10:30 a.m.

Yes sir, my PSN is Joppula please send me a friend request.

GodPride said on February 17, 2014 at 10:31 a.m.

I think they're refering to the link timing on combos being harder. How often are 1f links in Tekken's BnB combos?

MRN_SirFoxington said on February 17, 2014 at 10:32 a.m.

Thank you! I will send you a request today.

splurgendii said on February 17, 2014 at 10:33 a.m.

It's a labor of love my friend.

GodPride said on February 17, 2014 at 10:39 a.m.

What SFxTK stage did you want to see in USF4? I don't mind the Blast Furnace stage but the rest look pretty crappy or don't fit well in SF4. I wouldn't have mind Urban Warfare either but it's a shame it isn't part of the package deal.

Blackoshinomi said on February 17, 2014 at 10:39 a.m.

tekken easy to play but hard to master !
street fighter hard to play but easy to master !

It don't make sense now but think about it .

Grandmastersexy said on February 17, 2014 at 10:40 a.m.

Street Fighter and Tekken are balanced very differently. If you think that you have to learn 50+ match-up's in Tekken just because there are 50+ characters then you're already playing wrong. Just about any Tekken character can go up against each other because of how Tekken is. You don't learn Tekken match-up's like you would in Street Fighter anyways stop your complaining.

Dimensional said on February 17, 2014 at 10:40 a.m.

Im looking forward to this game quite a lot but im not exactly chomping at the bit to know who the 5th character is they have dragged that out way to much hopefully they are good but whatever.

It sounds like they are putting some work into this update though I havent really played since vanilla but I am looking to jumping back in and playing some Elena and Poison and getting my ass handed to me.

I do feel it will be the last retail version update for for the game though. The series has shedded all its casual fans and Capcom needs to concentrate on a new next gen IP for fighters and lets be honest anything would attract attention atm due to low competition and the fact a Capcom fighter could be on next (current) gen hardware. It would be a perfect opportunity to release a new Rival Schools or Darkstalkers and get it noticed especially the latter with its darker setting.

skumz88 said on February 17, 2014 at 10:41 a.m.

I really hope the push up the release date if they can. I just wonder how a June release date will work with Evo being in July.

kevinkolkje said on February 17, 2014 at 10:41 a.m.

I hope they have more titles and icons

ltalia90 said on February 17, 2014 at 10:42 a.m.

This is great news.

I was really disappointed that AE didn't have trials for the 4 new characters. They're fun to complete.

Hopefully all characters now have 24 trials that work in USF4.

MRN_SirFoxington said on February 17, 2014 at 10:45 a.m.

true it would be so awesome to see that if they really could push the release date a bit earlier...maybe May would be cool?!

ShinzoBishamon said on February 17, 2014 at 10:45 a.m.

in what way is street fighter hard to play?

ShinzoBishamon said on February 17, 2014 at 10:47 a.m.

It doesn't make sense to compare the two, they have a completely different combo system, SF is a link system and Tekken is a chain system. It would make more sense to compare Tekken and KOFXIII than Tekken and SF4

capra said on February 17, 2014 at 10:48 a.m.

well now i'm sold

Blackoshinomi said on February 17, 2014 at 10:48 a.m.

I agree i wouldn't mind seeing the old e honda stage with bath

star123us said on February 17, 2014 at 10:49 a.m.

I think Chun's trial won't change much...

bagel_bytez said on February 17, 2014 at 10:50 a.m.

You shouldn't have to learn every matchup hen ultra drops. That's shouldn't been your complaint from vanilla to super when they actually added a lot of characters. Not to mention street fighter characters don't have a hundred moves with multiple comboable overheads

MRN_SirFoxington said on February 17, 2014 at 10:51 a.m.

that's actually true. I posted earlier a comment about comparing those two titles and didn't think about your point of view to not comparing them since the combo system IS pretty much different. thanks for actually proving the point.

Johasthan said on February 17, 2014 at 10:51 a.m.

Cool for the trials, but I guess this means we will never see Alex in SFIV :(

perfume said on February 17, 2014 at 10:51 a.m.

perfume said on February 17, 2014 at 10:53 a.m.

Wardog said on February 17, 2014 at 10:53 a.m.

Actually both games are easy to play but harder to master.

All games can be a button mashing fun, till you run across a person who really put in the work. Remember that.

Blackoshinomi said on February 17, 2014 at 10:53 a.m.

Not for me.

But for the beginners! at least that what i heard LOL

I meanly play kof and 2d games .

But sf4 is still easy to me !

Blackoshinomi said on February 17, 2014 at 10:54 a.m.

I see you understood my hidden message

ShinzoBishamon said on February 17, 2014 at 10:56 a.m.

What makes 3D fighters difficult isn't combos its movement and the pacing of the game. People who have trouble throwing a fireball either have never played a fighting game before or they haven't played one in 10+ years. So being able to mash combos in Tekken is irrelevant because they don't understand the movement in the game.

MRN_SirFoxington said on February 17, 2014 at 11:01 a.m.

despite the different "Combo systems" SF and Tekken have, in my opinion tekken is easier to play! like Perfume said, People who play SF at first do have it difficult to learn/master the cast moves...if you tell a complete beginner that Balrog is a Charge character for example he wont understand what a Charge character is and also wont understand HOW to charge the moves,etc. Tekken on the other hand is not mainly about mashing buttons..but this is how beginners will play tekken since you wont make it even close to far mashing buttons in SF.

JIHADJOE said on February 17, 2014 at 11:02 a.m.

lol you must've been Ghandi to a lot of people

perfume said on February 17, 2014 at 11:04 a.m.

ShinzoBishamon said on February 17, 2014 at 11:05 a.m.

hahaha I was actually going to bring up Gandhi if no one was going to say anything about him.

Load more comments