Skullgirls Encore now available on PSN in North America; Squigly and DLC colors free for a limited time

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • February 11, 2014 at 2:42 p.m. PST

Skullgirls Encore, Lab Zero Games' SG update, is now available for purchase on the PlayStation Network in North America. Encore adds a slew of game changes, along with the first DLC character, Squigly. For a limited time, both the character color bundle and Squigly are available to download for free.

If this is the first time you're purchasing a Skullgirls title, Encore will run you $14.99 USD. However, those who purchased the original title will receive the update free of charge. The official Skullgirls Twitter mentioned that players can expect their Encore download voucher to arrive between 9 p.m. and 10 p.m. PST tonight, via an XBM message.

You can find a large list of the changes made in Skullgirls Encore here. Skullheart user Jason Slade has also put together a quick video that goes over many of the more important changes.

Hit the jump to view the video.

Source: Skullheart, and Jason Slade. Tips sent in by HooliganComboFTW, Lavama, and a couple of anonymous readers.

Comments

Doopliss said on February 11, 2014 at 2:49 p.m.

I have yet to hear anything about an XBLA release, is there one?

DestinyZX1 said on February 11, 2014 at 2:49 p.m.

I got the original Skullgirls for PS3 and if it means I have to wait, I'll do it.

xIxRemyxIx said on February 11, 2014 at 2:52 p.m.

It's so awesome that your avatar has the face of determination to go along with your comment.

TheTHCGamer said on February 11, 2014 at 2:52 p.m.

I'm guessing it's because xbox one policies are more strict and I know that's the case for patches which take longer to approve.

HooliganComboFTW said on February 11, 2014 at 2:54 p.m.

It is coming, but no date yet. When it does come it will be a simple patch update into Encore if you have the previous version on XBL without doing the voucher thing that PSN is doing. Squigly/DLC colors will be free for a timed period when it launches.

Helios86 said on February 11, 2014 at 2:54 p.m.

And to think.. I could have "first"ed but I stopped to watch the video...

Jason said on February 11, 2014 at 2:57 p.m.

Thanks for featuring my video! I hope it helps the console players get up to date in a hurry.

Eye_of_Orochi said on February 11, 2014 at 2:57 p.m.

Lucky dogs...

Teinted_Gene said on February 11, 2014 at 2:58 p.m.

I posted this on the other Skullgirl article

figured I would post it here as well.
=======================

Just found this out on another blog:

"According to Twitter, we’ll all get our PSN codes via the XMB sometime between 9 and 10 PST (Midnight to 1 AM EST, or 11PM to Midnight CST)"

HooliganComboFTW said on February 11, 2014 at 2:58 p.m.

Hah this is worth watching

Abbadon36 said on February 11, 2014 at 3:08 p.m.

I want that Squigly picture at the end of the video!
Also, FING AWESOME!

Abbadon36 said on February 11, 2014 at 3:10 p.m.

Godlike! All I can say.

SirKenjamin said on February 11, 2014 at 3:11 p.m.

About friggin time. :D

Jason said on February 11, 2014 at 3:15 p.m.

Its part of the in-game art gallery for the PC version.

I just took a screenshot of it. Its over on my steam profile

hazelnut1112 said on February 11, 2014 at 3:28 p.m.

I feel pretty bad for Xbox owners since Microsoft has such crap policies with their updates. Don't know how much longer people can bend over to their bullcrap.

shukaku9295 said on February 11, 2014 at 3:38 p.m.

Has anyone else not gotten the code to get it, after having already purchased the original?

Never mind just saw Teinted_Gene post

ArturoA9790 said on February 11, 2014 at 4:18 p.m.

This game is real, once all the DLC comes out and it's at it's potential, this could be the best fighting game this gen. In terms of fairness, fun, creativity, diversity, graphics, easy to get into yet difficult to master, we need to blow it up and give it it's due.

Teinted_Gene said on February 11, 2014 at 4:24 p.m.

Agreed... especially on the fairness and hard to master aspects

RpDrizzy said on February 11, 2014 at 4:34 p.m.

Still haven't got mine and I purchased the original copy...

TheTHCGamer said on February 11, 2014 at 5:07 p.m.

Some of you guys need to read the article between 9pm and 10pm pst is when we should receive the code. Kinda late but oh well what can you do and I went to the playstation store to download squigly/extra colors.

Abbadon36 said on February 11, 2014 at 5:25 p.m.

Why are you so awesome?
I can't even handle it!

Enter4none said on February 11, 2014 at 5:37 p.m.

Encore but as spectators for the Xbox users, and as is tradition, for an undetermined amount of time.

Seems it's safe to bet there won't be bonus, nothing special, no extras, nothing different from the Encore version for the PS3 (much less the PC ver for obvious reasons) to make up for the ridiculous wait for us XB users who supported it by buying it and also through Kickstarter.

GammaChemical said on February 11, 2014 at 5:38 p.m.

I downloaded squigly but I dont see her in the character select screen..is she only playable in encore?

ShinOni65 said on February 11, 2014 at 5:48 p.m.

Wasn't this planned to come out on PS4?

ScarletTerror said on February 11, 2014 at 6:04 p.m.

Lavama said on February 11, 2014 at 7:10 p.m.

I don't believe so.

Jason said on February 11, 2014 at 7:43 p.m.

They'd like to make a PS4 version in the future but there's no money/time to make the port right now. The dev team's budget is stretched pretty thin as-is.

Razberryclownsac said on February 11, 2014 at 8:04 p.m.

Yes, Squigly and the other changes are for Encore

Mike_Z said on February 11, 2014 at 8:29 p.m.

Actually, the XBox build that's current waiting is from over 14 days after the PS3 build, and it has a number of important gameplay bugfixes as well as the training mode framedata visualizer.

Enter4none said on February 11, 2014 at 8:45 p.m.

Very nice ~ then given time (hopefully not many months more), I'll be ready to update the XB I gave my sister for her bday, most appreciated.

Just point the way and I'll nut kick the guy(s) holding the XB version, I have bail money.

shukaku9295 said on February 11, 2014 at 9:22 p.m.

Anyone gotten their code yet?

RpDrizzy said on February 11, 2014 at 9:32 p.m.

Nope

Raiken05 said on February 11, 2014 at 10:23 p.m.

Don't have mine either...

DBZfanboy25 said on February 11, 2014 at 10:33 p.m.

I don't have mine either instead Naughty Dog sent me something about The Last of Us with season pass included for free. What's going on?

shukaku9295 said on February 11, 2014 at 10:35 p.m.

They just posted this in the comments not to long ago

bunny said on February 11, 2014 at 10:48 p.m.

hype no voucher yet but i got some patience ...

shukaku9295 said on February 11, 2014 at 10:52 p.m.

Same here,I'm really looking forward to the online scene being bigger this time around.

DBZfanboy25 said on February 11, 2014 at 11:42 p.m.

I'm just glad to wait. I downloaded the Character Color pack and Squigly DLC ahead of time.

ArturoA9790 said on February 11, 2014 at 11:45 p.m.

This is wack, been waiting all day for this, it's about to be 3am on the east coast. Thought I would be getting my Squigly on hours ago.

Mopz said on February 12, 2014 at 12:09 a.m.

Its creator (Emlan) posted it on her site already: http://emlan.deviantart.com/art/Skull...

p.s. Her gallery is ADDICTIVE, beware.

Rahavic said on February 12, 2014 at 12:18 a.m.

Hope I get the voucher at some point. Still haven't gotten it. ;(

RedRapperSux said on February 12, 2014 at 12:24 a.m.

No voucher yet.

bunny said on February 12, 2014 at 12:42 a.m.

ya im all for waiting like a good lil kid but my patience has worn thin went to the store for munchies and still no voucher yet 2 47 cmt balls!

PurplePonyJotaro said on February 12, 2014 at 1:34 a.m.

What the hell is an XBM message?

Suppi said on February 12, 2014 at 2:30 a.m.

i think they meant XMB for cross media bar message aka the regular psn inbox.

Abbadon36 said on February 12, 2014 at 4:42 a.m.

More, feed me MORE!
Also, thank you!
Still no voucher T_T

SullyW730 said on February 12, 2014 at 6:02 a.m.

anyone on the east coast get their voucher yet?

oni_chan3000 said on February 12, 2014 at 6:22 a.m.

dammit! i just got skull girls last week for pc. it came with the endless beta and i could use dlc. but i couldn't in the regular version. it got updated to encore, but i didn't get squigly for free. i just bought her on monday cus she is the best char. i don't mind too much though cus it helps them out. this game is really fun, i don't know why more people don't play it. its way better than mvc3 and inj(gags)..inju(gags again)...stupid superhero game

Blackoshinomi said on February 12, 2014 at 6:30 a.m.

I got my code! but my ps3 deleted my message -_-!

ScarletTerror said on February 12, 2014 at 6:52 a.m.

People play UMVC3 and Injustice more because: 1. The fighting system is more simple than SG. 2. The characters are eons more familiar than SG. 3. The art isn't as bizarre as SG. However SG does have some strong points over them, such as all hand-drawn sprites, a soundtrack created by the same person who did the soundtrack for Symphony of The Night and Street Fighter II(I think she did SF2 as well...), and a game that actually uses fan-feedback. SG has come a long way since it was originally shown in I think 2008. Give Skullgirls some time I guess...

Geniuzz said on February 12, 2014 at 6:52 a.m.

I am happy for the PS3 guys they can finally get their hands on Squiggly. Now MS, Bring this to the X360 ASAP!!!

solzan2000 said on February 12, 2014 at 6:57 a.m.

Ain't got my code yet :(

GammaChemical said on February 12, 2014 at 6:58 a.m.

I never got my message with the code :(

courte said on February 12, 2014 at 7:01 a.m.

No code

dsouvannarath said on February 12, 2014 at 7:31 a.m.

Me neither. I'm really eager to play. I asked them on Twitter and it seems to be a delay on Sony's end. I just wanna play!

DBZfanboy25 said on February 12, 2014 at 8:06 a.m.

I still haven't got mine all.

TrueGamingGuru said on February 12, 2014 at 8:46 a.m.

I waited around 11pm cst, no message... I checked 12pm cst, no message... I got up and check 9am-10am cst, still no message....

Who ever is delaying the code, really need to get things done a little faster because if they intend on making us wait for months or years then players would lose interest & wouldn't want to wait for them anymore. They promised the code would be arrive at 9pm & 10pm PST (or 1am EST or 11pm to 12pm CST) but part of the delay is on Sony's end, I mean what is going on?

I do hope we get are code sooner than never.

Snow said on February 12, 2014 at 9:07 a.m.

Add "Sony never sent the codes like they where supposed to do" to the list of things that have gone wrong.

When that IS corrected though I'm super stoked to see the Steam userbase evaporate. It's going to be so awesome. Really.

BossDynamite said on February 12, 2014 at 9:21 a.m.

wtf is up with the codes? i even checked to make sure there was a record that i even bought the darn game and still haven't gotten crap. This game stays taking 'L's". smh

HooliganComboFTW said on February 12, 2014 at 9:54 a.m.

Not gonna "evaporate" anytime soon when Steam has beta and other exclusive features. At most this is convenient for gatherings to just bring a PS3.

Blackoshinomi said on February 12, 2014 at 10:11 a.m.

This is Fu*king stupid! Last night i was on the you tube ap and i got my message from skull girls ! And my ps3 froze up as i leaving YouTube!

So i turn back on my system and the message i got was deleted all sudden !

So i called PlayStation and they said i need to call the people who make the game!

So i did and they said this sounds more like a PlayStation problem than are problem.

So i called PlayStation back and i told the woman on the phone what happen again ! And she said sometimes people send fake letter and stuff like that! like im laying or something!

She said if this was a real promotion they would have give me this code in my email !

I was like forget it this is totally bs !

Im sorry mike z but i can't support your game this time around unless i buy it again !

Dravidian said on February 12, 2014 at 10:16 a.m.

Are you sure it didnt just get sent deeper in your inbox?
...and cant they just verify your account?
If they have your account info, they can find your message info and the code in it. If the code is unused they can just deactivate it and send another, but if it's used (it shouldnt be since you say it was deleted) then you're S.O.L.

Blackoshinomi said on February 12, 2014 at 10:17 a.m.

They couldn't do anything! they basically said on both side ooo well

Dedemaru said on February 12, 2014 at 10:51 a.m.

I'm in the same boat, man. I wanna play but I still haven't got my code. I'm calling fiasco!

bunny said on February 12, 2014 at 11:11 a.m.

as of yet still no code voucher or message...free sg encore feels like fraudulence at this point .... unhyped going back to marvel

Jason said on February 12, 2014 at 11:14 a.m.

If you still haven't gotten your code, I'd go check the @Skullgirls twitter for updates.

AngryAssassin said on February 12, 2014 at 11:18 a.m.

I still don't have it... I guess I'll just play the beta on PC.

rongames91 said on February 12, 2014 at 11:30 a.m.

Still no code for me either and it's been well over 12 hours since it was suppose to be in my inbox. Anti-Hype.

TrueGamingGuru said on February 12, 2014 at 11:54 a.m.

I'm starting to think that Lab Zero or Sony should've done something easier than just send a voucher code to people who already own the original Skullgirls. The PSN ver. should just been a patch for the original Skullgirls like what the Xbox 360 ver. is going to have, not a separate product which involves waiting for a message that would give you a free download of Skullgirls Encore especially rely on a company that might end up delaying to the point where the player's can't wait any longer. I do seriously hope we get our code, because the waiting game should be put to an end sooner.

OhYouDontSayThat said on February 12, 2014 at 11:58 a.m.

wow the SG crew sent me a message on psn with a complimentary copy of encore. very cool of them THANKS

Viro_veteruscy said on February 12, 2014 at 12:26 p.m.

Sony couldn't do that on their system which is why the are using the voucher in the first place. They don't have to with Microsoft but at the same time it's taking longer with them. LZ doesn't control anything past send them the updates.

JELIFISH19 said on February 12, 2014 at 12:34 p.m.

I think it was the best fighting game this gen once the latest IPS changes were implemented. And the undizzy meter was just the icing on the cake. It's one of the most intelligently designed 2D fighting games of all time.

RedRapperSux said on February 12, 2014 at 12:55 p.m.

Still no voucher.

ArturoA9790 said on February 12, 2014 at 1:19 p.m.

Yeah, the long combo TOD stuff I disliked,good thing they fixed it. Now IF I COULD ONLY PLAY THE GAME... I know I shouldn't complain since it's free, but they made such a good game the wait is killing me knowing I should have had it already. Something fishy is going on, everyone on PSN simultaneously got this Last of us voucher on the scheduled time for the SG voucher no problem. So why is this one taking so long to get out there? .. I don't like it. Fearing the worst.

TrueGamingGuru said on February 12, 2014 at 1:20 p.m.

Well, part of Lab Zero had already listed what the PSN ver. is going to be like anyway so the PSN is going to be a separate product regardless & most players who own original will have to keep waiting the voucher. I definitely know that Microsoft can take a really longer time to include a patch.

I wonder why the Sony couldn't do something like that on their system?

It feels like that Lab Zero can barely do anything when it comes to dealing with consoles, while certain players are getting screwed from not getting a voucher for PSN to wait for an eternity for a patch for XBLA.

AttorneyMayCry said on February 12, 2014 at 1:22 p.m.

For the record, I never even got a voucher for Last of Us.

Swipa said on February 12, 2014 at 1:28 p.m.

I got the same message from Naughty Dog with the thing about buying The Last of Us and getting the Season Pass for free. I was all excited when I saw that I had received a message because I thought it would be my Skullgirls Encore voucher, but instead I got this. According to the Skullgirls Twitter page a lot of people have still not received their voucher and that Sony is still slowly sending them out. I will just keep checking every hour for my code and hope that I get it soon.

bunny said on February 12, 2014 at 1:39 p.m.

They shouldn't have given out a eta if they weren't gonna even try to follow it super unhyped

HooliganComboFTW said on February 12, 2014 at 3:17 p.m.
FightDirty said on February 12, 2014 at 3:38 p.m.

You guys need to stop being cheapstakes and just buy the game. I have the original SG but since I didn't get a voucher I deleted the old game and immediately bought Encore. It's a quality game and I think LZ should get something for their hard work. I am more than willing to pay a mere $15 to support the game. SG won't be able to thrive if they give away everything for free - sheesh!

I only got to play SG Encore for about five minutes before rushing off to the airport (heading to Brazil) but I really liked what I saw. Can't wait to dive into it when I return.

DBZfanboy25 said on February 12, 2014 at 3:41 p.m.

At least it's real. Thank you for clarifying that.

Teinted_Gene said on February 12, 2014 at 3:47 p.m.

"Skullgirls ‏@Skullgirls 3m

We're still waiting for an update about the status of the vouchers for those that haven't received them. Sorry for the wait, everyone! :( "

Teinted_Gene said on February 12, 2014 at 4:26 p.m.

another update from @Skullgirls

TrueGamingGuru said on February 12, 2014 at 4:27 p.m.

Its not that everyone are being cheapstakes and always want free game. All these players who originally purchase Skullgirls, were promised to updates for Skullgirls Encore for PSN players was suppose to get a voucher from their messages. But almost everyone from PSN didn't even get a message about Skullgirls Encore.

When a company gave a promise, everyone expected that company to even deliver & not be full of empty promises. Its not that Lab Zero is delivering empty promises, its just that Sony haven't gave everyone the code & Lab Zero is still waiting for the results for the players that didn't get the code.

Part of getting Skullgirls Encore for free is almost no different from getting free content for people who previous purchase that exact content like LBP, MVC3, DOA5, & even SC: Lost Swords (for people who originally purchase SCIIHD would get bonus items for SC: Lost Swords was mention in the Japanese trailer) etc.

For me, I'll probably consider to just buy Encore somewhere down the road if I haven't received the code & decided to give up on waiting.

Not everyone getting SG Encore for free won't even effect the quality of the game.

FightDirty said on February 12, 2014 at 4:52 p.m.

Yeh, I say that if you really like and support the game then you will just buy it. We now see that most people only support an update if they think it's a freebie. "Gimmie, gimmie, gimmie! Free stuff!"

But look how they turn on it if they have to open their wallets. For shame! I know that they said I could get a free copy; and maybe I will get a voucher sometime in the future. But I don't care because I actually like and support the game. That's why the FGC will never grow, too many people in this community are at poverty level.

TrueGamingGuru said on February 12, 2014 at 5:17 p.m.

Honestly part of the "people only support an update if they think its a freebie." are mostly the type of people who were mostly unaware of what most fighting games were since SFII, since the 90s didn't have advance tech. of what this current generation have the very moment. Even most people don't have the need to pay of an update like what happen with UMVC3 & other certain titles. For the case of Skullgirls Encore, PSN players were suppose to get a code if they already own the original Skullgirls.

It would be easier if the PSN ver. can make a patch for the original Skullgirls, but from what I've read from one of Teinted_Gene's link. Is that Lab Zero were required to switch publishers, and the way how PSN was set up. Lab Zero can't make update for the PSN ver. of the original Skullgirls, due to the fact that it was published by Konami which that company cut ties with Lab Zero. So PSN players were stuck with waiting for a voucher code, which Sony is slowly delivering from what I've heard & having Encore being a separate product.

Part of the open their wallets is easier said than done for some people, sometimes most people would rather put their money on something more important rather than continue support for certain game. (pretty sad, but very likely true)

I don't think the FGC will even grow to begin with not just poverty level, but also from not playing new games, very biased group, and providing a lack of verity to be more open & supportive. People with their blind entitlement pride just only make things worst. If only the FGC were more open, but what can you do?

Teinted_Gene said on February 12, 2014 at 5:39 p.m.

Skullgirls ‏@Skullgirls 13m

OMG NEW INFO FROM SONY: There was a batch of ppl missing. There's another set of vouchers going out tonite around 11PM PST/2AM EST

Teinted_Gene said on February 12, 2014 at 5:42 p.m.

From Peter Bartholow on February 12th, 2014 at 5:31 pm said:

OK, so, I just got an update from Sony.

They looked into it and found that there were (for some reason) two paid versions of Skullgirls on PSN. When they initially compiled the list of people that should get vouchers, they only pulled the customers from one of those two versions.

They’ve now compiled the list of all the people that bought the other one, and those vouchers should broadcast tonight. Same thing as last night: upload around 9 PST, hopefully in your box within an hour or two after that.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for your patience on this.

TheTHCGamer said on February 12, 2014 at 5:45 p.m.

Good old Sony hoping some of us won't be able to wait so we'll buying it again but no I can wait.

bunny said on February 12, 2014 at 9:35 p.m.

and still i wait my inbox empty

TheTHCGamer said on February 12, 2014 at 9:46 p.m.

Tell Sony all about it there the ones taking there sweet time sending out the codes.

ury said on February 12, 2014 at 10:05 p.m.

Just got my "complimentary-copy" I'm on the west coast Bay Area guys.

Teinted_Gene said on February 12, 2014 at 10:11 p.m.

Finally

Just got my voucher from sony

East coast btw

ury said on February 12, 2014 at 10:15 p.m.

Ok, I FINALLY recieved my free code. FINALLY!!!
But now I have to wait 49 mins to download.....
ALL HYPE IS GONE! (I'm actually listening to Slipknot screaming "all hope is gone!!!")

Lol! AT&T Uverse, you suck ass.

RpDrizzy said on February 12, 2014 at 10:17 p.m.

Finally got mines

HooliganComboFTW said on February 12, 2014 at 10:26 p.m.

Yup people are getting them now on much larger force.

Raiken05 said on February 12, 2014 at 11:55 p.m.

Dat game: I gots it now thanks to the voucher. Thank you LZ!!

RedRapperSux said on February 13, 2014 at 1:07 a.m.

Nothing yet.

WhimsyRoll said on February 13, 2014 at 1:08 a.m.

Got it too. Thanks SG crew!

Kingpin_of_Snow said on February 13, 2014 at 1:21 a.m.

Awesome. Was worried that I would have to buy it. Thanks a whole bunch SGE team :-)

Load more comments