Skullgirls Encore set to hit US PlayStation Network on February 11; Xbox 360 version delayed

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • February 7, 2014 at 12:12 p.m. PST

The Skullgirls series is making a return to consoles next week with the release of Skullgirls Encore, an updated version of the game that will add numerous changes, along with the first DLC character, Squigly.

PlayStation 3 users will be able to download the game next Tuesday, and the game will be free to those who purchased the previous title. Skullgirls Encore will only be available in the US next week, however, Peter Bartholow of Lab Zero Games mentioned on NeoGAF that the team is shooting for a European release the following week, although there are currently no guarantees.

Bartholow also stated that Xbox 360 owners will have to wait a bit for Encore, as the transition is taking longer due to more companies being involved with the project. Lab Zero plans to submit the update to Microsoft some time next week.

Hit the jump to check out a couple of launch trailers featuring the current roster, and Squigly.

Source: NeoGAF, and SRK. Videos via NFSentertainment. Tips sent in by icejohn, and solzan2000.

Comments

Kenshiro said on February 7, 2014 at 12:15 p.m.

Excellent.

First day d/l.

LordProsper said on February 7, 2014 at 12:16 p.m.

Lemme guess, the 360 patch will be out in Two Weeks™?

Blackoshinomi said on February 7, 2014 at 12:17 p.m.

sweet i get it free

Paradonyx said on February 7, 2014 at 12:19 p.m.

OH WHOOPDEE F***** DO, another delay. Well, there go my hopes and dreams.

Sage_Liebert said on February 7, 2014 at 12:22 p.m.

Same day as my book of enoch comes in the mail.

Gladspencer said on February 7, 2014 at 12:25 p.m.

Arakune said on February 7, 2014 at 12:26 p.m.

YAAAAAAS

djm0001 said on February 7, 2014 at 12:31 p.m.

Stanley Whitefin never made it into the game, right?

Zidiane said on February 7, 2014 at 12:37 p.m.

He did not. But Beowulf and Eliza were happy to take his place.

djm0001 said on February 7, 2014 at 12:44 p.m.

That's too bad, I thought he looked really cool

TrueGamingGuru said on February 7, 2014 at 12:56 p.m.

That game will definitely be worth a download, since I do own the original Skullgirls. so many things going to happen at 2/11 from LRFFXIII, Kokoro's DLC outfit from DOA5U (getting released for PSN), & now this game getting released. Going to be an interesting day.

Galletano said on February 7, 2014 at 1:01 p.m.

Can't wait hopefully this will be a good year for LZ and skullgirls.

BlackRain said on February 7, 2014 at 1:07 p.m.

Not as a playable character, no.

But he is now a fully animated NPC in Big Bands stage instead of just a shadow in the Lab 8 stage background, so cheer up ;)

Teinted_Gene said on February 7, 2014 at 1:21 p.m.

its about damn time... I was waiting for news/info since Dec. of last year. Looking forward to it.

superpan619 said on February 7, 2014 at 1:26 p.m.

Maybe with this release, there will be more people online, as much as i like the game, the ps3 version was an online graveyard.

Eye_of_Orochi said on February 7, 2014 at 1:28 p.m.

"Xbox 360 version delayed"

No, really? I wouldn't have guessed.

PJ627 said on February 7, 2014 at 1:28 p.m.

Yes! Will the people that bought Skullgirls on the ps3 also get Squigly free as well? :D

mrambitious said on February 7, 2014 at 1:28 p.m.

nice, im ready

Kongk4 said on February 7, 2014 at 1:36 p.m.

My body is ready! :D

TheTHCGamer said on February 7, 2014 at 1:45 p.m.

I can't wait SG is in my opinion one of the best and original fighting games last gen.

caruga said on February 7, 2014 at 1:47 p.m.

My BITE moneeeey!

MagStormFilia said on February 7, 2014 at 2:01 p.m.

I believe so. Every DLC character has 3 month period where they're free. That time has already passed on the PC version, but since she's barely being released on console the free period is just starting. The same goes for Big Band and the other 3 DLC characters when they're finished. Big Band will be released officially on all platforms sometime next month.

SnakeX said on February 7, 2014 at 2:30 p.m.

It may sound harsh but they might as well just give up on the 360 version since they keep running into problems and delays. It feels like it's simply not worth the endless hassle that Lab Zero keeps going through with dealing with all these other companies and MS's stiff patch policy. And I say this as an owner of the 360 version.

RedEther said on February 7, 2014 at 2:41 p.m.

As always 360 owners getting shafted :(

Hajiki said on February 7, 2014 at 2:49 p.m.

Quit saying "last gen", last I checked the PS3 is still being supported. But I do agree that SG is an awesome game.

Ermapume said on February 7, 2014 at 3:02 p.m.

Well I guess I'll HAVE to since I aready bought the orginal and have seldom touched it. Maybe the changes made will be enough to get me interested in playing it again.

TheTHCGamer said on February 7, 2014 at 3:10 p.m.

It's true 360,PS3 and the Wii are last gen since the new consoles are now here. Last gen doesn't mean the console will no longer be supported its just there no longer the new console on the market. So stop being in denial ;).

nosloandy said on February 7, 2014 at 3:25 p.m.

FINALLY! Been waiting and waiting. I discovered Skullgirls about when they were pulled.

Spaghetti_Time said on February 7, 2014 at 3:29 p.m.

Filia's thighs

Deathknight said on February 7, 2014 at 3:31 p.m.

Getting this.

Sadisticcupid said on February 7, 2014 at 3:31 p.m.

does anyone know how much this will cost, i really need new fighters and i'm getting so sick of all the other games

Sage_Liebert said on February 7, 2014 at 3:51 p.m.

You would think MvC players would support this game heavily.

Paradonyx said on February 7, 2014 at 3:57 p.m.

Marvel 3 players be hatin' because Skullgirls actually takes a brain to play.

Fireman110 said on February 7, 2014 at 4:10 p.m.

Yes ready 2 get back into this game.

TrueGamingGuru said on February 7, 2014 at 4:24 p.m.

For how much Skullgirls Encore will cost, according to the official website that if your a PSN member & already own the original Skullgirls. You can get Encore for free you just got to visit the PSN Store & simply download it. If your an Xbox member, Skullgirls Encore will be a patched version of the original not a separate product.

You can read the rest right here: http://labzerogames.com/skullgirls-en...

Carls493 said on February 7, 2014 at 4:26 p.m.

Yes. The best thing that can happen to Skullgirls at this point is having good news.

Although the 360 isn't out yet, I'm sure it's coming. All I really hope is that Lab Zero can completely turn around their bad luck throughout the rest of this year.

gluemchen said on February 7, 2014 at 5:13 p.m.

#KillTheCurse

soggytoast said on February 7, 2014 at 5:45 p.m.

Wow, it's free because I bought the original! Totally sick! Definitely playing this now.

bigjbilly said on February 7, 2014 at 5:53 p.m.

Xbox delay! Mike pls!

Srsly though, who would have thought? Microsoft is always so good to indie devs....Kappa

I'll be honest, i don't play this game that much, but once it hits Live again, I'll buy it. Mike and his team deserve it.

HooliganComboFTW said on February 7, 2014 at 8:09 p.m.

It's is a hassle for them to keep consoles up-to-date in general (this is not just a 360 issue) compared to the much more convenient PC version. With that logic they would have abandoned both 360/PS3 which isn't wise especially since all those backers are not PC players. Squigly build is barely coming to consoles while Big Band is almost done on PC. In the end L0 made the decision to slow down the PC build releases to sync better with the slower console release just so console players don't have to wait months behind PC players.

Jason said on February 7, 2014 at 8:40 p.m.

I really hope there aren't any more delays.

TheTHCGamer said on February 7, 2014 at 9:59 p.m.

For those of you who haven't bought it game is a steal for the price it's being sold at. Beautiful animation with gameplay to match and the option to play how you want. If you want to use 3, 2 or one characters during a match you can do that. It's that variety that adds to the replay value in my opinion. Don't get me started with the the great characters designs and music which are also a plus.

Must have been a pain in the ass to even make one character but it pays off when you get to use a character that has cartoon quality animation. The sound effects and character voices also fit the game perfectly. I forgot how much I enjoyed this game and it's only real flaw in my opinion was not getting the proper support it should've got from the beginning. This isn't just showing love to the developers but my own selfish reasons so
If this game already had 20+ characters there's no doubt in my mind that SG's would be one of the most popular fighting games on the market.

So as you can tell I hope this game gets he support it deserves but more importantly so I get more SG's :).

Darklurkr23 said on February 7, 2014 at 10:02 p.m.

I got a free copy of the original on my EU account. Sigh now I gotta wait lol XD

Razberryclownsac said on February 8, 2014 at 12:29 a.m.

It was 14.99 originally. I imagine it would be that again. Shouldn't be more than 20 if it does go up.

GiganV3 said on February 8, 2014 at 2:32 a.m.

Looks like it's time to get into this game, gonna buy it as soon as it gets released on the PSN.

Teinted_Gene said on February 8, 2014 at 6:02 a.m.

I think we already did.

Also if LO ever does abandon the console version of the game... they essentially will be killing the Skullgirls' franchise.

A fighting game lives on by tournaments and FG community, and having a fight game solely on PC would basically kill the following it barely has.

Sure it could survive but if fans of the game want it to reach levels of even MK and KOF it has to have a console focus.

Abbadon36 said on February 8, 2014 at 6:40 a.m.

I'm gonna be losing so much! If I fight any Squigly players i'm just gonna put my pad down. I can't hit Squilgy, she too adorable!

Neoxon said on February 8, 2014 at 4:01 p.m.

I play MvC & I support Skullgirls, but you do have a point.