Microsoft will be announcing new 'development partner' for Killer Instinct, comments on franchise future

Posted by MajinTenshinhan
February 6, 2014 at 6:56 a.m. PST

With yesterday's surprising news about Amazon acquiring Killer Instinct developer Double Helix, the future of the Xbox One launch title seemed uncertain at first.

Fairly soon after, our story was updated with Microsoft commenting that they were planning on continuing the franchise. Today, more details have emerged, with Microsoft publicly stating that they will soon be announcing a new development partner for the Killer Instinct franchise.

Hit the jump to find out what they had to say on the matter.

Speaking with Polygon, a spokesperson for Microsoft had the following to say:

We have thoroughly enjoyed working with Double Helix and wish them success in their next endeavor.

We want all of our loyal fans to know that the Killer Instinct team at Microsoft is not changing and that the franchise will remain with Microsoft Studios.

We remain dedicated to delivering a great experience and plan to announce our new development partner soon. We're excited about the future of this popular franchise.

It is as of yet unclear whether these future plans pertain to the continuation of support for the launch title Killer Instinct, the expected Season 2 for said title, or a completely new game all-together. Whatever the case may be, additional details are likely to be announced in the near future.

Thanks to Ett for sending this news tip in.

Source: Polygon, via Joystiq.

Comments

Eternal said on February 6, 2014 at 6:58 a.m.

Never good to change horses midstride. This can only end up causing weirdness in quality. Either the next stuff will be much better or much worse.

SoftShocks said on February 6, 2014 at 7:01 a.m.

Not too sure how this is going to turn out, for better or worse I suppose, but at least we can assume more KI content will happen.

caloge said on February 6, 2014 at 7:02 a.m.

Ya, DH did a great job with season 1. Hopefully whatever follows can match the quality of whats already out there.

Maybe the success of the season 1 will allow for a more comprehensive release

Catnip_Her0 said on February 6, 2014 at 7:04 a.m.

Wow lol changing devs already? This is gonna be interesting.

Twitch.tv/catnip_her0 24/7 Injustice ps3/KI open lobby check it out.

perfume said on February 6, 2014 at 7:06 a.m.

Inb4 the death of KI.

Orichalkos said on February 6, 2014 at 7:07 a.m.

Hopefully the new developer will do a better design of the characters in season 2 only really enjoyed 2 of the characters (long as they make TJ Combo and Cinder good then I'll take back any negative things i didn't like about the game)

FinchoMatic said on February 6, 2014 at 7:12 a.m.

It's going to be interesting to say the least. I trust in Ken Lobb and his ability to pick a good developer. It's his baby after all

Inzzane said on February 6, 2014 at 7:12 a.m.

Maximilian should get a job at the new developers team. This guy lives KI!! :)

Kawalorn said on February 6, 2014 at 7:13 a.m.

It's really too bad. I hope for the best for Killer Instict but changes like this rarely go well.

ChocolateThunder said on February 6, 2014 at 7:14 a.m.

Oh man, hope it works out I really like KI and its the reason why I wanted xbox one day one. Guess we have to wait and see how this goes.

DunnDeal said on February 6, 2014 at 7:14 a.m.

I'm eager to see what's next for KI. Just please keep Mick Gordon as the music composer for this game.

TheTTimeLives said on February 6, 2014 at 7:20 a.m.

I think alot of this is probably about expediting the development process. I have positive and negative feelings towards the new KI, but they move like snails.

wBENDERw said on February 6, 2014 at 7:24 a.m.

i'd like to see how well its doing for M$...

AugustAPC said on February 6, 2014 at 7:25 a.m.

GOD F*CKING DAMN IT!

This isn't going to end well. This game is part of Double Helix. It's their vision... no other developer will be able to continue it in the same way.

*sigh*... This is the biggest f*cking disappointment.

Sasuga said on February 6, 2014 at 7:28 a.m.

Congratulations to the big part of the world where the Xbone was not released yet.

Hotdiddykong said on February 6, 2014 at 7:32 a.m.

Hmm, whoever the other partner is, I hope it doesn't just end how glorious Killer Instinct is, its amazingly balanced right now with Double Helix and I don't want it to be ruined.

doublef said on February 6, 2014 at 7:32 a.m.

please don't say it's Netherrealm

AugustAPC said on February 6, 2014 at 7:39 a.m.

God could be developing it and it still wouldn't be consistent. Two artists painting one picture is going to be one f*cked up picture.

I'm generally not one to rush to judgment, but thanks Microsoft, for f*cking up another franchise. Your developer gave the IP the respect it deserves, why can't you? It's a f*cking miracle the content we got was as great as it was, given the criminally short development time MS gave them.

ROSHINOBI said on February 6, 2014 at 7:42 a.m.

This whole story is dejavu several years back when microsoft said they'll support a certain fighting game exclusive ...sounds like Tao Fang: Fists of the Lotus all over again...RIP KI 2013-2014... oh well so what's new with USF4 :-)

Church0070 said on February 6, 2014 at 7:43 a.m.

I'm not too worried, Everyone worried about Halo: MS buys half of bungie and makes 343. Gears same thing. I foresee a big hiring spree of KI guys from DH. Not worried.

ROSHINOBI said on February 6, 2014 at 7:50 a.m.

yeah that's true...but halo and gears are microsoft's BnB of course they gonna put they all in keeping it alive...this company don't really support fighters for long trust ...I do hope I'm wrong though.

Sagateee said on February 6, 2014 at 7:51 a.m.

RIP Filthy Rich's rent money

AugustAPC said on February 6, 2014 at 7:52 a.m.

Eh... shooters are a different story than fighting games. They're more formulaic. More cut and paste. Creating a new gun ain't the same as creating a new character in a fighter. Halo has way more foundation to work off of. This Killer Instinct is an art that lives inside the heads of Double Helix.

RomeMc said on February 6, 2014 at 7:52 a.m.

We have all seen the good and the bad with development changes. This could be great like 343 and Halo 4 or this can be a abomination like people can fly and Gears of War Judgement. Let's all hope that it'll be on the greater side of the spectrum

FalsoL said on February 6, 2014 at 7:53 a.m.

This is the downside of throwing a game in parts, creators can go before finishing it

Church0070 said on February 6, 2014 at 7:56 a.m.

How is any of that MS's fault?? Amazon bought DH and probably told DH they cannot work on season 2. MS gets a "new dev team" and the game was built 1/2 MS Team 1/2 DH if you didn't know, all the MS guys are still there. Amazon buying DH is not MS fault. Also shooters require just as much balancing as a fighter, map movement, team placement, vantage spots, both games are a work of art and don't write off a genre because you think a fighting game is harder. It isn't, they are about equal.

Also Roshinobi, MS has said that the game is a big hit and they are very happy with the outcome, the fact that they own Rare means they were sitting on this for a while, This is a new baby too them.

EKSR said on February 6, 2014 at 7:56 a.m.

cheeseburgers.

MatheViB said on February 6, 2014 at 7:59 a.m.

just hoping nothing goes for the worse, i want to believe they will pick good and listener developers.

AugustAPC said on February 6, 2014 at 8:03 a.m.

How is it MS's fault? They contracted DH to make a game and gave them a ridiculously short window for development. Then they miss the opportunity to actually buy the company and let them finish what they started.

And yes, fighting games are much deeper and more difficult to make than shooters. They're NOT equal. Not by a f*cking long shot. The core of a shooter is very defined and simple. Mechanics in a fighting game are far more diverse and require far more creativity. There's a reason you can jump into any shooter and feel at home... because so few actually dare to innovate in the genre. They've become extremely formulaic... and I f*cking guarantee you, balancing 2 fighting game characters is far more difficult than balancing every gun in Halo.

benzo425 said on February 6, 2014 at 8:07 a.m.

HIRE F*CKING MAXIMILLIAN!!!!!!!!!!!

ROSHINOBI said on February 6, 2014 at 8:10 a.m.

Hey I hear ya bro...like I said I wanna be wrong....I 'm really loving this game right now....but if I can give u one example of when dev team part ways with company's and fighting games look at what happen with the dev team that developed ps-all stars for sony....those extra characters and content that sony promised will still be worked on and released never saw the light of day...that's why I say game company's don't really support first party fighters for long...Nintendo is excluded because they fighter consist of their mascots and ip.

Church0070 said on February 6, 2014 at 8:11 a.m.

You need to do 2 things : Lay off the rage pills and take a deep breath.

Shooters are not the same, you can be at home in any fighter too, Chris G much? They use the same mechanic, you fight people. Your just being biased and getting nowhere. Also let me ask you a question, before KI what did Double Helix make that was worth anything, everyone doubted MS before KI released because DH was a bad studio, no argument, If I was MS I wouldn't have bought them either, 1 good game, hell 1 GREAT Game does not mean you should buy a company that made tons of potatoes in the past. MS gave DH a deadline, DH went and playtested the game a ton, which they were given the freedom too do so, had they not done that the game wouldn't be as balanced however we would have a full game, I'm fine with how things turned out and don't blame MS or DH on that matter.

As I also stated, KI was made 1/2 MS Team, 1/2 DH, the MS guys are still there, Ken Lobb among them. I see them hiring a few, probably F.Rich too be sure, and continue KI. I'm not worried and the internet being up in arms won't change a thing, MS has always been great with the exclusives they get and keeping them alive and pretty fresh. Far better than most companies in my opinion short of maybe nintendo. I would also love too see and informative post from you that doesn't include rage, cursing, or overall fallback on (MS FAULT!!!)

BakaRoboto said on February 6, 2014 at 8:23 a.m.

ooooooh nooooooo... this is definitely not "Good" news. there's so many questions surrounding this... it's scary. and it's gonna take more information till the majority of people feel even remotely ok about it.

My25CentsUp said on February 6, 2014 at 8:24 a.m.

KI fails to live up to the hype.

icejohn said on February 6, 2014 at 8:26 a.m.

Dang...dis don't look good.

AugustAPC said on February 6, 2014 at 8:29 a.m.

I can't even take you seriously. Chris G? Really? One... do you think even 0.01% of the people that play fighting games are anywhere near as good as Chris G? No. Two... do you honestly thinks he just picks them up and plays them at his level? No. At the very least, I hope you don't, 'cause at that point, you're just a sad joke. If you honestly think you can pick up any fighter and play it like you can today's shooters, then there's really no point in talking to you. That's just flat out ignorant.

For the record, I never doubted the new KI. I never doubted Double Helix. From the second this game was announced, I only sung its praises. I lobbied that Double Helix had never been given a fair shot at developing a game and had always been under the ugly restrictions of licensed games.

Finally, don't mistake my cursing and talking down to you as rage. I just don't have any respect for you. MS has been great with exclusives? Banjo-Kazooie and Conker are laughing in your face right now. My posts could be a f*cking encyclopedia of information, but I'm sure with you, the words would bounce off you like a brick wall. As a matter of fact, you're just a waste of time at this point. Why do you go spend hours learning the vastly varied intricacies of the new Wolfenstein and Halo, because they boast so much variety in gameplay.

Church0070 said on February 6, 2014 at 8:39 a.m.

So your saying that you AVG.Joe can compete at high level halo 4 and CoD:Ghosts, you would be wrong, you just won't step back and admit that you are wrong on that front, all games have fundamentals that are similar too other games on the genre and that is the nature of it.The way fighting games are different isn't any harder than the way shooters or DOTA2 V LOL are different. And fine we won't use Chris G, FChamp, PR Rog, Jwong, All good because of fundamentals which are in every fighter, see where I am going here. All games that are one genre have a similar chemistry, an idea. You can't argue fact.

I did, look at DH's track record, It's a good reason too doubt. Once again, 1 game, would not buy.

You literally pick those two while ignoring the ones that they do right on a good number of occasions like Fable, Halo, Gears. I'm not mistaking it for rage, it is rage, like a bronze V in LoL you can't look at the big picture. And you keep ignoring the fact that KI was a JOINT PRODUCTION, with the MS in house studio. They aren't losing 100% of the team. KI will be fine, KI will be at EVO, It's all going to be ok, the world isn't ending, take a breath child, it will be ok.

AugustAPC said on February 6, 2014 at 8:55 a.m.

You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. I'm not sure whether to laugh or feel bad for you. I know I've thing, though. You're not worth anymore of my time. For future reference, try and educate yourself before you speak.

KingKong said on February 6, 2014 at 8:57 a.m.

Video games industry = politics. A bunch of greedy people who cant keep promises

Helios86 said on February 6, 2014 at 8:58 a.m.

WOAH WOAH WOAH. Let's get one thing straight Fighting game lovers. Halo 4 is NOT, I repeat NOT, a good thing. The moment Bungie left and MS decided to sell out the franchise to 343, (as is always the case with greedy companies) Halo went downhill with a ridiculous CoD copy and paste style and a dull tablet/phone game. I realize this is mostly a FGC site so not everyone may be informed of this little fact, so I just wanted to clear that up for you guys.

KDizzle37 said on February 6, 2014 at 8:59 a.m.

Xbox one for sale, with an extra controller and Dead Rising 3. $350

nullzZzleep said on February 6, 2014 at 9 a.m.

i dont care! i just wanted to wait for the possible success of KI. everything one have seen oder heard about that game is good to stellar (netcode /dojo /training room /visuals and coolness). and i refuse to wait any longer to buy that XBoxOne (only for one single game named "Killer Instinct") just to wait how things turn out and "if its still worth it to invest in this game under recent circumstances". HELL YEAH dammit. i want to give them my money because i want that effin game! it has soo much potential in so many regards, its insane!
Paid XBone is coming monday via amazon (weired relations), no matter what.
if KI gets dropped in the future, i can sell the console then, for now "take my money!" MS, never loved you, it might change =)
time will tell

ShiroiKaze said on February 6, 2014 at 9 a.m.

They should pull a Capcom and just hire Dimps to work on the game... it already has a lot of Street Fighter elements in it.

Even better they should track down the ex Rare staff that made the original and make it a proper Killer Instinct 3.

nullzZzleep said on February 6, 2014 at 9:01 a.m.

KI ftw

qcevolution said on February 6, 2014 at 9:04 a.m.

Dude, stop cursing so much. Geez... O.O

And like its already been pointed out not ALL of the Dev team was DH. A good chunk of the KI devs are also in house with Microsoft. We havent lost ALL the original ideas.

AugustAPC said on February 6, 2014 at 9:06 a.m.

I was ending all my sentences in curse words way before Jessie Pinkman, bitch.

Church0070 said on February 6, 2014 at 9:07 a.m.

Lol. I'm pretty educated my friend, it seems your arguments have run out of steam, without swearing you go to attack my intelligence. Let me guess, your from 4chan? That would be my bet.

Regardless KI will be fine.

Sadisticcupid said on February 6, 2014 at 9:13 a.m.

This is such a piss off because they had a huge story already set up. Also i feel sorry for everyone in double helix because this was their one brilliant project. The only thing that was a bit better then mediocre they did was sh: homecoming which was highly argued over about being good or not.

nullzZzleep said on February 6, 2014 at 9:13 a.m.

thx Church0070 for your words =)

Dreamking23 said on February 6, 2014 at 9:16 a.m.

I can't see this as good news... Unless this new dev team consists of Dave, Mike, Rich, Bau, and Patrick, chances are the game will end up very different.

The DHG guys have an exceptional grasp on fighting game character design, and have done an excellent job. Hopefully the MS Studios team can hold it down, and this new team really just builds off of what we already have.

As a plus side, maybe this will mean we'll see content released a bit more frequently. Only time will tell, I suppose.

AugustAPC said on February 6, 2014 at 9:16 a.m.

Intelligence is a strong word to describe what you have. I'd say it's more like baseless opinions. Tell me, what it's your experience in game design again? Jack sh*t? Yea, sounds about right.

Church0070 said on February 6, 2014 at 9:21 a.m.

Ahh, the personal attacks again! Oh no, I'm being cyber bullied, someone please help, I disagree with his opinions so I must be an idiot! The all knowing AugustAPC must be right, Senpai please notice me!! Oh and cursing again lol.

Also dreamking,I do hope we get more content but lets be real, every patch post launch has had major bugs, DH hasn't exactly been great in the post launch dept. and while they do listen too us they have broken so much with patches that I can't help but think a new team will do a bit better with this.

casper_ said on February 6, 2014 at 9:21 a.m.

as an outsider, i think DH did a very good job with this game. im much more excited to see what other new fighting game IP's DH could make than what some other ms hired studio decides to do with this particular franchise. ive got no attachment to jago etc. but im psyched to see a new american dev doing creative stuff.

hope we get to see more from them.

AugustAPC said on February 6, 2014 at 9:25 a.m.

I reiterate: sounds about right.

Thanks for the laughs. I'll try not to forget you too fast.

AugustAPC said on February 6, 2014 at 9:29 a.m.

Their new Strider game comes out in a little over a week. I'm optimistic.

Church0070 said on February 6, 2014 at 9:38 a.m.

Oh I won't I'll try to remember too shout you out when I top 8 Final Round.

AugustAPC said on February 6, 2014 at 9:41 a.m.

I'm glad I've impacted you in such a way that you would go out of your way to do that. Again, don't be offended if I don't remember who you are.

TheTHCGamer said on February 6, 2014 at 9:49 a.m.

Oh no the sky is falling! Seriously though why do we always panic lets have a wait and see approach. When it was announced DH was working on a new KI the same thing was happening people doubted them from the start. To many times we get caught up worrying about the past or the future. Since we can't change the past or predict the future lets relax till we get our hands on the new content from a new developer.

If it's released and it's bad then we can complain. Complaining/whining now is pointless and you guys remind me of those people trashing the new KI even though they haven even played it. First it was DH has no business making a fighting game and now it's the next developer taking over DH is going to ruin everything. Gotta love the dramatic ass FGC. I'm not saying all will be fine but I'll save my opinion once I've played what the next developer has released.

Just keep in mind if DH could make a solid fighting game then what's to say another developer couldn't. He'll the foundation is already there it's not like they have work from the ground up. What if they actually improve the game but knowing this stubborn ass community well never admit it. For right now just hope we get more characters and lobbies. We should start slow with our expectations and work from there.

Smorgasboard said on February 6, 2014 at 9:56 a.m.

I think people misunderstood something. The Microsoft team may not be developers. They are more likely project managers, directors and other management roles. The grunt work that is usually done by developers and was most likely outsourced to Double Helix.

What this means is that the vision for the game will remain but the technical skills will depend on the this new developmental partner.

Also expect delays to season 2 if it gets approved at all and the rest of season 1 to be rushed out as double Helix would want to cut all old ties fast.

KDizzle37 said on February 6, 2014 at 9:56 a.m.

(This comment was removed by a moderator.)

TheTHCGamer said on February 6, 2014 at 10:01 a.m.

Lol you have to be kidding me right? Right?

DARKKARASBLADE said on February 6, 2014 at 10:02 a.m.

Guy doesn't even know that KI3 was made by 20 people.

DARKKARASBLADE said on February 6, 2014 at 10:04 a.m.

So you want Crytek UK and Rare to reamke KI3?

SgtKonus said on February 6, 2014 at 10:04 a.m.

I would argue that they're an apples to oranges comparison.

nusense said on February 6, 2014 at 10:05 a.m.

Good luck to DH and amazon. Android base game no thanks.

llSilkCutll said on February 6, 2014 at 10:07 a.m.

Played it and it's ok. It doesn't have the magic of Killer Instinct 1. It's average at best, it looks amazing I'll give it that. Don't like the character designs, they were better in Killer Instinct 1!

Also I have PS4 so won't even play the game and that goes for at least half the FGC!

KDizzle37 said on February 6, 2014 at 10:08 a.m.

Nope, KI was the only reason I bought an xbone at launch. The system itself, upcoming titles, and more and more, the thing doesn't stand a chance against the PS4. Double Helix abandoned the project, Microsoft continues to step on its own feet, XBOX is a doomed brand. I will be selling mine immediately and getting a ps4 no doubt in my mind

nusense said on February 6, 2014 at 10:15 a.m.

Ken Lobb @RealKLobb
Still cranking on Fulgore, and the rest of S1 with our friends at DH. Our plans going forward are in place. Thanks everyone for the support!

I hope it's not iron galaxy studio that gets picked to work on s2.

URAmk2 said on February 6, 2014 at 10:20 a.m.

AugustAPC wont even show up at FR... you showed everyone how much of a clown you really are.

Loryuo said on February 6, 2014 at 10:22 a.m.

i hope not either. iron galaxy is the worst company ever.

TheTHCGamer said on February 6, 2014 at 10:24 a.m.

DH wasn't known for making any real solid games before KI was even released and I myself was skeptical at first when I found out it was them making the game. Also I'd hold in to your xbox one for now and i plan on getting a PS4 when there's games I want for it. Either the exception of the metal gear game and destiny (both which will also be in Xbox one but I'd rather buy them on PS4) there really isn't a reason for me to own a PS4.

The first year just like the PS3 looks bleak especially if your a fan of fighting games. I'll be owning all 3 consoles just like last gen and why not wait for more KI content before you jump ship all dramatic like. The worst thing you could do is sell your Xbox one only to want to buy it again to play those exclusive titles like KI. PS4 might be selling better but just look up the xbox ons sales believe me it's far from a doomed brand.

Any bit of bad or disappointing news shouldn't be the end of the world.

xShonuffx said on February 6, 2014 at 10:24 a.m.

Dang. And after all this time it took for Double Helix to prove themselves to the gaming community that they can make great games and hit records, here comes the big wigs and the bags o money and promises of fortune and fame. I hope the new guys are as creative, flexible and knowledgeable as DH. This can go from awesome to ugly reeeeal quick. Man why not just let Rare take over? Let loose the chains Microsoft, sheesh.

GreedyMcGurgleburg said on February 6, 2014 at 10:26 a.m.

Sadness. Profound sadness.

KDizzle37 said on February 6, 2014 at 10:28 a.m.

I agree, but its just dumb because Microsoft has been dropping the ball lately. It wasn't until a year or so ago that I realized the Xbox brand is just an after thought. They believed in it, but something happened during the 360's prime, a lot of people bought PS3's and Microsoft just gave up in my opinion. It's not about the gamer, it's about making as much money as quickly as possible no matter who gets pissed on

TheTHCGamer said on February 6, 2014 at 10:32 a.m.

Remember people this could also be bad for DH just look what Microsoft did with rare and lets not forget the games DH worked in before KI. Also Rare taking back over really would matter most of the team that worked on games in the past left years ago. Lets just try to be positive and hope for the best. Keep in mind if DH could make a solid fighting game like KI then there's still hope. I wish DH the best on there future endeavors and hope for the best for KI moving forward.

TheTHCGamer said on February 6, 2014 at 10:44 a.m.

No Microsoft does things a bit different and at the end of the day mind of them our are friends they just want our money. So when Microsoft teases a new console they try to support it full force pretty much giving up support for there past console. Sony on the other hand with the PS3 had a horrible start it took about two years before they had a decent library of games and for those first two years we were stickers with a blu ray player.

Sony however finished very strong with the PS3 and the whole blu ray player just like the PS2 DVD player finally took off. See a lot of our first DVD players were PS2's and a lot of our current blu ray players are PS3's. Sony has made some bone head moves in the past like the PS3's architecture and so has Microsoft with there initial policies that were cancelled. I do wish Microsoft would've bought out DH but honestly from a business standpoint what has DH done besides KI?

On top of that you don't think there's other developers out there also wanting to privd themselves? Wait it out and if KI truly does end up disappointing when the new seveloper takes over then se your Xbox one. Besides we always tend to get ripped off for used consoles I'll probably upgrade and give my current version to a family member later on. Just trying to be the voice of reason before you might make a mistake you regret later on. Besides I'm waiting for my favorite KI character Fulgore:).

KDizzle37 said on February 6, 2014 at 10:52 a.m.

No i appreciate your comments. A lot of people would be offended and I see where you are coming from. It just sucks. I couldn't care less about DH but the game itself is the big worry

GiBGUN said on February 6, 2014 at 10:59 a.m.

"The team isn't changing"...so they're keeping all the DH staff that worked on ki? Also what happens with strider now

TheTHCGamer said on February 6, 2014 at 11:08 a.m.

No doubt about it but as dumb as some companies are success dictates keep doing the same thing. Case in point the COD games. DH although they made a great foundation also stumbled along the way with issues with KI most recently with this whole jail debacle. Don't worry yourself it's pointless until we've played the what the new developer has done and then we can truly criticize. Also as I stated and I hope everyone reads this DH was pretty mich a joke developer before KI.

Thing is DH had an opportunity and seized it. The next developer might be a company that many of is think is a joke just like we thought about DH initially but we should be kind enough to let them prove themselves. All I want is for people to give them a chance before we start calling them the developers who ruined KI.

fuerteva said on February 6, 2014 at 11:08 a.m.

So when is killer instinct vs injustice/mk come out?

TheTHCGamer said on February 6, 2014 at 11:11 a.m.

Never I hope.

AttractGroove said on February 6, 2014 at 11:43 a.m.

This game probably would have done a lot better if it was on 360 too.

a_green_seer said on February 6, 2014 at 11:49 a.m.

Offer still standing???

MuayThaiBushinryu said on February 6, 2014 at 11:53 a.m.

OH MY GWAD YES.

RandomSelectMaster said on February 6, 2014 at 12:22 p.m.

They should sell Killer Instinct to Sony.

TheTHCGamer said on February 6, 2014 at 12:33 p.m.

Microsoft wouldn't sell and Sony wouldn't buy it. Besides after Playstaion all stay battle royal I don't have much faith in Sony either.

RandomSelectMaster said on February 6, 2014 at 12:40 p.m.

I totally forgot about that game. I didn't even want to play All Stars for PS3. You're right, they probably wouldn't do anything to make it any better. I just wouldn't mind if it was released to PS4 too. I rather have that system. Now if Capcom were to pick it up...

BlackMasamune said on February 6, 2014 at 12:41 p.m.

The partner is SNK.

Teinted_Gene said on February 6, 2014 at 12:44 p.m.

This seems fitting...

Quan said on February 6, 2014 at 1:20 p.m.

Hey guys :), I did a bit of research in the matter and found this, http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=..., hopefully it'll ease the minds of those whose as equally passionate about KI as I am

HyperGadoken said on February 6, 2014 at 1:27 p.m.

DH did a good job with what they were given. I respect them for that but that new theme is horrible. It's just the chorus of the original and it's dubstepped out dropping the bass. the one thing they couldn't do is improve on the original theme song. it was a good run.

Microsoft KI RIP 11/22/13-2/5/14

Lordd_G said on February 6, 2014 at 1:44 p.m.

Here's something you guys haven't considered:

MS: "We remain dedicated to delivering a great experience and plan to announce our new development partner soon."
Capcom: "We intend to reaffirm our presence in the fighting genre in 2014"
=
KI Announcer: "Awesome Combo!"

irc_mocpac said on February 6, 2014 at 1:46 p.m.

What most people in here overlooked

"We want all of our loyal fans to know that the Killer Instinct team at Microsoft IS NOT CHANGING and that the franchise will remain with Microsoft Studios."

XxUltimacloudxX said on February 6, 2014 at 2:02 p.m.

You were all duped by microsoft... after their marketing nightmare with the release of the xbone and the always on drm fiasco they knew the only way to sell early life units was to announce and rush KI out the gate with the system so all the FGC would eat it up... you all got Xboned!

There is however some reasonings I can give that would make this situation happen.

#1 Double Helix failed in production of the game as to the amount of content that was to be prepared for the release date.

Reason

Story mode missing, along with a non completed roster spinal/fulgore possibly among other DLC that was not prepared in time for launch.

#2 Relatively low ratings on websites/reviewers despite it being a decent game that the developers made in the small frame they had.

Reason

Even though to trained FGC eyes we can see its greatness. However, a normal reviewer would not see this and tear this game up for its lack of modes when compared to other fighting games.

Madenka said on February 6, 2014 at 2:30 p.m.

FGC is actually quite small compared to other gaming communities, so I don't think I agree about "only way to sell early units".

It's no doubt that KI was a rush job, but it's the best darn rush job I've seen as far as FGs go. The lack of story mode goes hand in hand with lack of characters but it cannot be denied KI is a commercial success.

What's more DHG didn't do anything wrong, they were simply bought out. I don't think it had anything to do with their work on KI.

edit: double negative

encore36 said on February 6, 2014 at 3:06 p.m.

Sorry to say, its already dead, it just doesn't know it yet!

hijahijo said on February 6, 2014 at 3:23 p.m.

Ah so this is where all the KI bashers were, just waiting for something to bite on... nomnomnomnom...

Good luck and hoping for more success to DH and KI in the future.

Amerika said on February 6, 2014 at 4:11 p.m.

Well, uhh, Ken Lobb and two other people from the original 6 man team for KI worked on the new KI. So, uhh, that's what you had.

And this IS a proper KI. This wasn't something that was crapped out that barely had any details go into the systems used. It's incredibly involved and downright genius how each of the current cast play. KI was never known for having good mechanics or being a smart persons fighter where the new KI is an intelligent game of intelligent decision making and conditioning opponents

Amerika said on February 6, 2014 at 4:16 p.m.

Hey, I like that theme but only due to it's nostalgia and not because it's technically impressive. All of the new music was done by Mick Gordon and the man is amazing. The old KI music is a product of it's time and while good it's not something you could listen to and be impressed by today unless you just really dig old sounding digital music which was extremely limited back then.

spman2099 said on February 6, 2014 at 4:24 p.m.

I don't know if this is as bad as some people are making it out to be. As long as designs had been drawn up, and plans were in motion, I don't see why this new studio couldn't do a solid job picking up where DH left off. Hopefully there will be enough key figures hanging around to keep everything running smoothly. It is possible that things may be a little bumpy at first, but as long as Microsoft is committed to smoothing the growing pains out, I am sure everything will turn out relatively well. We just need to wait and see. It certainly isn't all sunshine and gumdrops, but it is also WAY too early to jump to doom and gloom.

Load more comments