Yoshinori Ono: Ultra Street Fighter 4's 5th new character is speedy; only about four people online have correctly guessed who she is

Posted by Cheng Kai 'KarbyP' Sim • February 5, 2014 at 10:32 a.m. PST

Out of the 65 billion people on the Interwebs, only about four have correctly guessed the identity of Ultra Street Fighter 4's fifth new character, Capcom's Yoshinori Ono said in a group media interview at the Taipei Game Show.

In the same interview, he also dropped a few more hints about who the fifth character could possibly be, after EventHubs's very own KarbyP asked Ono and USF4 Assistant Producer Tomoaki Ayano if they could reveal any information about her play style, at all.

Ever the showman, Ono actually walked over and whispered the hints in this reporter's ears, as he did not want to say them over the microphone.

Hit the jump to find out what Ono said.

(Question from Taiwanese media) Some time back, there was an illustration that depicted many of the characters in the Street Fighter series, and in it, we saw Retsu's face popping up alongside that of Ryu's. Based on that illustration, some have speculated that Retsu could be the fifth new character in Ultra Street Fighter 4. So, is it him?

Yoshinori Ono: Retsu won't appear in the game. On the Net it's been speculated that perhaps Retsu might be the fifth new character. Or that since Retsu starts with an R, then perhaps it's Rainbow Mika. There's been a lot of theories like that. But the new character's neither Retsu nor R. Mika.

At the moment on the Interwebs, if you were to go over all the theories at a glance, there's only been about maybe four people who got it right. For the four of them to get it right amidst the 6.5 billion people on the Web... well, you could say that's really quite something!

Tomoaki Ayano: Oh, that's a hint, huh? (Laughs)

Ono: You can try and find the answer on Google!

(Question from EventHubs) Could we possibly get some hints on who the fifth new character might be, or perhaps some information on what her fighting style will be like?

Ayano: Not from my lips. (Laughs)

Ono: You heard the man. Not from his lips, he says... Oh, so it has to come from mine then? (Laughs)

Every single time we're asked this question at such interviews, Capcom's PR manager for global always gets really flustered.

Ayano: But he's not here today!

Ono: As he's not here today... I'll just reveal a little. But I don't want to say it over the mic, so I'll come over and whisper it into your ears.

(Ono walks over)

The fifth new character's movements are a little on the speedy side.

This has already been reported about, but the new character is a she.

When released, she'd likely be a bit of a nuisance.

In fact, when we finally reveal who she is, at least initially, probably nobody will be happy about it.

Ayano: Woah woah woah, what an absurd thing to say! (Laughs) That's way too much!

Ono: Finally, we've also already said this before, but even though the new character exists within the Street Fighter universe, she's never once been playable.

... And with that, that's enough about the subject. Please let us off the hook!

She's a speedy character, is a bit of a nuisance when released into the wild, and likely to be a character that won't make anyone happy when she's finally unvealed, at least initially.

I guess that means we can finally scratch off Hakan's wife from the list.

Who do you think it is?

Mentioned by David_I and RvlvA.

Comments

Guile4Life said on February 5, 2014 at 10:37 a.m.

It's goukens daughter people jeez

zUkUu said on February 5, 2014 at 10:37 a.m.

Ken's daughter.

NapkinSchematic said on February 5, 2014 at 10:37 a.m.

This is seriously annoying. I love SF and Ono, but this is not building hype at all. There really is an issue with building up a character reveal too much. It makes it almost impossible for that character to ever gain traction, as the reveal is almost always going to be met with all sorts of negativity because of the prolonged build up. It's really just silly marketing mentality...

ElectricBlanka said on February 5, 2014 at 10:38 a.m.

I am sure we won't be happy, so just release the damn game already!! And start on SF5!!! or Alpha 4!! for crying out loud

trog said on February 5, 2014 at 10:39 a.m.

Luwanda

sarif2soon said on February 5, 2014 at 10:39 a.m.

F***in' forget the dolls. Bring the recap of candidates.

djm0001 said on February 5, 2014 at 10:40 a.m.

so I have a 1 in 1.625 billion chance of guessing correctly right now.....

edit: too many 0's

Mr_Salt said on February 5, 2014 at 10:40 a.m.

I hope this character gets a full ending and rivalry. Strangely enough Yun and Yang do not have them.

Arrancar said on February 5, 2014 at 10:40 a.m.

mah jaw hit the floor and how this girl being balanced i mean we HAVE input right or is she as is

JusticeSoulTuna said on February 5, 2014 at 10:40 a.m.

Y'know what, I have to agree. People's expectations are hella high and everyone thinks it's something different. When the character is finally revealed and it's nothing special, we'll all wonder what the point was. I mean look at ArcSys; they teased Bedman with a blacked out image then a few days later they revealed him. Easy. It was suspenseful to have a new character but then they just told us. To literally make us wait months for a character who, in my opinion, won't even be that special is honestly getting tiresome. We just want to know. Worst case scenario, the character won't even be interesting and no one will play her. THEN what was all that hype building for? Sheesh

markp said on February 5, 2014 at 10:40 a.m.

its female sagat

FreshProduce4u2 said on February 5, 2014 at 10:41 a.m.

It's the doll

TruthOrDare said on February 5, 2014 at 10:41 a.m.

The reason no one will be happy is because of all this build up for a character who's already been confirmed as not being Karin or Mika. So, sooner they get this crap over with the less pissed we'll all be.

DrDucker said on February 5, 2014 at 10:42 a.m.

maybe its that girl from final fight 2

Tactix555 said on February 5, 2014 at 10:42 a.m.

Maxmillion put out youtube video that had a really really good idea of who the fifth character is...

Max believes It's one of Bison's dolls, so basically a Cammy clone.

MAXOUT12 said on February 5, 2014 at 10:42 a.m.

FEMALE ELFUERTE

Tinja said on February 5, 2014 at 10:42 a.m.

Decapre

Gam3B0y said on February 5, 2014 at 10:43 a.m.

so she's from dolls then :D
good I don't want Rose's master :v
Speedy=dolls (or Ibuki's friend :v)
I'll main her if she's doll

pip said on February 5, 2014 at 10:43 a.m.

More than 4 people on the interwebs know she's Santamu.

Shinkutatsumaki said on February 5, 2014 at 10:44 a.m.

I'm still crying about it not being Shun q_q

cuzzo said on February 5, 2014 at 10:44 a.m.

I'm still guessing Sarai. Sticking with her til whoever is revealed

DunnDeal said on February 5, 2014 at 10:44 a.m.

*Sigh*

ROSHINOBI said on February 5, 2014 at 10:45 a.m.

gotta be that vega claw bison doll chick..she's simple enough for capcom t intergrate...for starters her model can clearly be modeled after cammy..Smh Capcom u lazy bastards..lol...oh well maybe goukens daughter rose mother will appear in a future street fighter game.

rudiano said on February 5, 2014 at 10:47 a.m.

He said that because of what he saw neogaf, alot of his info comes from there

NapkinSchematic said on February 5, 2014 at 10:47 a.m.

This is exactly what I mean, It's a borderline incompetent marketing strategy. Who hypes a character for 3-4 months, then tells you that most of the fans will dislike the character, and that the character has an annoying play style? It's like they are going out of there way to lower expectations while simultaneously prolonging our inevitable disappointment. This also just puts the character in a position to get less attention in terms of balancing/ exposure prior to official launch. We should be seeing this character, hearing about pro's opinions on the character, and giving Capcom a chance to change things around subtly, in an effort to give the character a chance to both compete with the established cast, and to resonate with the player base.

Their marketing methodology is freaking mind boggling...

Make. Real. Hype.

wayofBushinRyu said on February 5, 2014 at 10:48 a.m.

Yo dawg! We heard you was waitin' for the 5th character so we made an announcement about an announcement while you waitin' for the announcement for the new 5th character

nebbiez said on February 5, 2014 at 10:49 a.m.

While I would tend to agree...this whole feeding us with breadcrumbs of information at a time to 'tease' us (infuriate us) leads to the biggest comment sections. We are our own worst enemies for even discussing who it might be. Everyone seems to love the whole new character hype but it's been done in such a long drawn put fashion. I remember when the character trailers for UMVC3 first dropped. I don't even play that damn game and I was hype for Phoenix Wright and Rocket Racoon! Ono has totally killed all USF4 hype. I literally don't care who any of the new characters are, they're nothing more than new matchups for me to learn as far as I'm concerned. I suspect whoever the 5th character is will be about as balanced as Megaman in SFxT i.e. so useless nobody will even use her except for lols

mp91 said on February 5, 2014 at 10:50 a.m.

a fast character is a good thing

r0my5 said on February 5, 2014 at 10:51 a.m.

evil chun-li confirmed

EnsignHiro said on February 5, 2014 at 10:52 a.m.

Prolly the girl on wolfkrone posted character select thingy

NapkinSchematic said on February 5, 2014 at 10:52 a.m.

But that's the freaking problem. They should have the character available to play now, so that they can get the necessary player input and telemetry data for balancing. The character doesn't have to suffer some BS new character imbalance fate. They can just cut the nonsense and focus on making a great new character...

KingSpica said on February 5, 2014 at 10:54 a.m.

i think about 2 weeks ago i summited news 2 eventhubs who the 5th charater is and got no reply or email from them i really beleave that she's the 5th character maybe this site wants me 2 keep my mouth shut because my news was never summited

BlackOnyxThunder said on February 5, 2014 at 10:54 a.m.

It's C. Viper's daughter!

pants4ever said on February 5, 2014 at 10:56 a.m.

Johasthan said on February 5, 2014 at 10:56 a.m.

I said it once and will say it again. It's gonna be TrollOno dressed as Chun Li.

TheMoonFalls said on February 5, 2014 at 10:56 a.m.

to the people who think its the dolls... i say no to you. The dolls were playable in the PSP version of Alpha 3. And the character has never been PLAYABLE. Think about that

Gam3B0y said on February 5, 2014 at 10:57 a.m.

so tell us here :@

Gotomaster said on February 5, 2014 at 10:57 a.m.

At this point, just forsake the 5th character. No one cares whether they are there or not.

FightDirty said on February 5, 2014 at 10:58 a.m.

Let's see, it's a lady that is fast, a real nuisance & probably hits like a truck. Sounds like a Cammy clone or at least someone with a similar fighting style. I remember joking that the fifth character would be top tier. Looks like that may be the case - not surprised.

Gotomaster said on February 5, 2014 at 10:58 a.m.

Bison had other dolls.

TaurusMAGNUS said on February 5, 2014 at 10:58 a.m.

Noembelu (Little Eagle). It makes the most sense to me.

Eye_of_Orochi said on February 5, 2014 at 10:58 a.m.

So it can't be Decapre...then wtf was that claw on your arcade console Ayano??!!?

Anyways...

It could still be a doll, just a less obvious one. Though I'm starting to think it's Sarai, Ibuki's friend. Here's why:

- She was in the UDON comics
- She was in a stage background in SFxT, adding to the theme of porting assets from that game
- She fits the description: fast, a nuisance, someone not hype worthy or heavily guessed

The only problem I have with her is she seems a bit short and I don't know how she won't end up being mostly an Ibuki clone. At least a doll probably wouldn't be too clone-ish.

nightoX said on February 5, 2014 at 10:59 a.m.

There are more dolls than Juni and Juli though.

sarif2soon said on February 5, 2014 at 10:59 a.m.

Video by zidenberg of possible characters:

ElectricBlanka said on February 5, 2014 at 10:59 a.m.

nah... i have submitted multiple news tips to EH as well on other stuff and never heard anything as well. It does get on my nerves too, but until there is a better SF forums, (hate SRK) i have to deal with it.

nosloandy said on February 5, 2014 at 11 a.m.

yo, go look up the word "summit" real quick....

If you don't provide proof of source or anything, they obviously can treat it as speculation and just ignore it.

ryuhayabusa13 said on February 5, 2014 at 11:02 a.m.

hmm A character I wouldn't be happy about is that Doll with Vega's claw Decapre. If it's ibuki;s friend, It would be cool. But if it's gouken's daughter, would be cool too, but She probably isn't the one.

perfume said on February 5, 2014 at 11:03 a.m.

Strider_Hien said on February 5, 2014 at 11:04 a.m.

These guys.....XD Always having fun.Must be nice to work like that.

That said:Do we need hype for the game? The ones that are furious that the 5th character hasn't been announced will still get the game,no matter what.I haven't playing SF4 as much as I wanted to,but as soon as the game drops,I'm buying.No questions asked.

A question:The hype is for you ......or for you to hype your friends(potential rivals and buyers of the game)?

Me? I'm relaxed.I expect a FULL INTERWEBZ BLOWOUT when she gets announced.

Eye_of_Orochi said on February 5, 2014 at 11:04 a.m.

Something I must say though: the only thing that will disappoint me is if this turns out to be a joke character that they purposely made a joke. That would be the ultimate troll from Capcom, aside from making it Good Ryu or something.

NyuBomber said on February 5, 2014 at 11:06 a.m.

YOU FOOLS.

It's BLANKA'S MOTHER.

Who is the biggest, irritating, nuisance-giving character in Street Fighter? BLANKA.

Who is Ono's favorite character? BLANKA.

Who can be considered somewhat speedy? BLANKA.

Who is female, has been in Street Fighter canon, and has never been playable before USF4? BLANKA'S MOTHER.

pip said on February 5, 2014 at 11:06 a.m.

Of course Eventhubs know about the identity of Santamu, like many people involved in the FGC, but they play along, in order to not displease Capcom. It's a Polichinel secret, as we say in France (= fake secret that everybody knows but feint to ignore).

RedRapperSux said on February 5, 2014 at 11:08 a.m.

I refuse to believe that only 4 people on the god damn internet guessed it correctly. It is WAY higher than 4 people.

sarif2soon said on February 5, 2014 at 11:09 a.m.

I'm not gonna use the word "fake" anymore. Instead, I'll just post the picture of that character select screen.

TehTy said on February 5, 2014 at 11:09 a.m.

Vega/cammy mix clone?

TheUraharashop said on February 5, 2014 at 11:10 a.m.

Sarai Kurosawa

Speedy, would have a similar rush down and dash like Ibuki

A nuance like Ikubi because you often don't loose to the better player like Acqua, F-Word or Sako. You end up loosing to the Character.

No one is going to be happy with another ninja with similar tools to Ibiku. Seems to be slightly uncreative, however in terms of a story, it ties Elana in to the story better with Makoto, Ibuki and her self.

negativepenalty said on February 5, 2014 at 11:11 a.m.

I think it might be Lita from delta red. Considering she was never in a fighting game and is in the udon comics, it would also be super easy for them to create her using poison's character model because they both look similar in terms of body structure and hairstyle.

Ett said on February 5, 2014 at 11:11 a.m.
GirlsOfGaming said on February 5, 2014 at 11:11 a.m.

i wonder is shes speedy like fuerte in terms of movement or speedy like akuma or sakura in terms of attacks and possibly damage...hmm...

BlackOnyxThunder said on February 5, 2014 at 11:12 a.m.

Is this a riddle? I'm not good at riddles... Ono's been holding this fifth character for a while isn't it about time that we actually get some real info about the character (maybe their movelist, height, colors, ethnicity, something?). Ono quit sending us info about announcements!

throughsilence said on February 5, 2014 at 11:12 a.m.

Not to be rude but is KarbyP a new writer for EH? What's the lineup for staff these days? (out of curiosity)

sarif2soon said on February 5, 2014 at 11:14 a.m.
dorayaki said on February 5, 2014 at 11:17 a.m.

THIS.

Unless they're making f'n Sheng Long female boss, it's not gonna be hype as they're trying to build it up to be. So, enough abt the chara already. Gonna be moot anyways.

LeonX said on February 5, 2014 at 11:17 a.m.

With a lot of awesome and good gals from Street Fighter Universe....

Miss my Ingrid :'(

floorwalker said on February 5, 2014 at 11:21 a.m.

If she's going to be
A. - a short, stubby kid character that's hard to hit or
B. - a short, stubby annoying animal character that's hard to hit like the cats in SFxT or
C. - a speedy nuisance like a Cammy clone or
D. - Ono and Ayano are lying and it actually is Retsu
then I would be heavily disappointed.

Lordd_G said on February 5, 2014 at 11:21 a.m.

"likely to be a character that won't make anyone happy when she's finally unve[i]led"

Yeah, and that'll because of all this stupid teasing and over-hype from Ono and Crapcom.

WlZD0M said on February 5, 2014 at 11:22 a.m.

Yun and Yang didn't even have a challenge mode.

Burnt said on February 5, 2014 at 11:23 a.m.

Maybe its T Hawks relative, i forget her name in the comics... she is one of the dolls though sadly

Kawalorn said on February 5, 2014 at 11:23 a.m.

Well I like "speedys" so I'm happy with that. Personaly my top would be Decapre.

Lorga said on February 5, 2014 at 11:23 a.m.
Lordd_G said on February 5, 2014 at 11:24 a.m.
RandomJohn said on February 5, 2014 at 11:24 a.m.

is it Maki from final fight?

Shep131 said on February 5, 2014 at 11:25 a.m.

It's gonna be a doll

SAMURAI said on February 5, 2014 at 11:25 a.m.

I said Satsuki, I wonder if there where 3 others who said that. :)

ChumbleB said on February 5, 2014 at 11:25 a.m.

Santamu. Also, just because it's gonna be a doll doesn't necessarily mean she'll be a Cammy clone.

Lordd_G said on February 5, 2014 at 11:28 a.m.

It's probably that tanuki/raccoon on the rooftop from the opening movie of SSFIV.

Asgardwolf said on February 5, 2014 at 11:29 a.m.

Not Lucia please... Just Not Lucia...

Lordd_G said on February 5, 2014 at 11:29 a.m.

And I have more dolls than Bison.

Bwahahaha!!!

KingSpica said on February 5, 2014 at 11:30 a.m.

i have read the guidelines i did put a sounce i put the name of the site were i got the info from and cedit the user for the info and than i hit the text limit or did they wanted be 2 list url maybe that's why but im sure i did

Loryuo said on February 5, 2014 at 11:30 a.m.

Not everyone cares about Mika and Karin. I want to see them actually incorporate new characters in their series. Not just bring back characters to be safe.

cris25 said on February 5, 2014 at 11:32 a.m.

Jianyu with the staff!

I REALLY hope it isn't Roxy, for God's sake.

Wardog said on February 5, 2014 at 11:36 a.m.

Its Sean or Charlie/Nash or Alex wearing a wig and dressing like a school girl while hiding their manly voice.lol

People wouldn't expected that.XD

KingSpica said on February 5, 2014 at 11:36 a.m.

im glad im not the only one

TwoBears77 said on February 5, 2014 at 11:37 a.m.

Speedy, eh? Well, I am going with the Road Runner as its gender was never confirmed.

Catalyst said on February 5, 2014 at 11:38 a.m.

KarbyP is our newest writer. Lineup is the same as before, but we've added him to our team.

BlackOnyxThunder said on February 5, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

We all know it's a female. But in the next Street Fighter game, I do want Remy to be a character added to the roster.

Catalyst said on February 5, 2014 at 11:41 a.m.

Unfortunately, there's no way we could possibly post everything that's submitted to us, or we'd have to put up about 40+ stories per day.

Keep in mind, we do read all of the submissions sent in, but we cannot get to them all, as there's only so much room on the front page daily.

Hope that makes sense, but let me know if you have any questions.

sojiki said on February 5, 2014 at 11:42 a.m.

If those character select screen are legit dang that looks good.

ryu600RR said on February 5, 2014 at 11:46 a.m.

sarai makes the most sense because porting her from SFxT saves capcom a ton of money development wise

and she's speedy

and nobody cares about her

and yes i'm not happy with it either

DizzyD said on February 5, 2014 at 11:47 a.m.

Its M. Bison old gypsy lady mentor that taught him about soul power. That's my opinion

OhYouDontSayThat said on February 5, 2014 at 11:47 a.m.

Marth!

panzninja said on February 5, 2014 at 11:48 a.m.

Its R Fuerte

PikminExpert said on February 5, 2014 at 11:49 a.m.

Umm... I think the first sentence in this article meant to read "6.5 billion" and not "65 billion".

"there's only been about maybe four people who got it right."

Did they go on the Internet and count the number of people or something? XD
The way they put it, the character must be very obscure.

TorTorVega said on February 5, 2014 at 11:52 a.m.

So Ono is saying that it's someone that people haven't been guessing frequently. That pretty much rules out Max's theory since that's the most popular theory.

RenyNoise said on February 5, 2014 at 11:52 a.m.

(Clears throat)

It's Eliza. "Kens Wife"

You heard it here first!

CJM311 said on February 5, 2014 at 11:54 a.m.

Red Sonja?

ShadowGeno said on February 5, 2014 at 11:55 a.m.

R.Mika should replace El Fuerte. Fuerte is ass.

Ermapume said on February 5, 2014 at 11:56 a.m.

I whole-heartedly agree with you. I've been apathetic ever since about a month after the initial four's announcement. Just reveal the damn character already. What hype can there possiby be for a character that's so obscure in the first place? Considering every idiotic thing Capcom has done; this shouldn't be the thing to piss me off so much.

throughsilence said on February 5, 2014 at 11:57 a.m.

Awesome, good to see you guys growing w/ more help.

Onetrunick said on February 5, 2014 at 11:57 a.m.

Considering it Starts with an R, I am down to believe it is Roxxi from final Fight

Load more comments