Ono feels Capcom's new hires should want to leave Japan, said company needs to view DLC as a system they're supposed to have

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • February 4, 2014 at 7:40 p.m. PST

During an internal investor relations interview, Yoshinori Ono was asked about what kind of people Capcom should hire going forward.

"Simply put, people who want to leave Japan," he said.

Asked for clarification on what he meant, Ono added that, "People involved in global business development who only know Japan have no real hope of accomplishing anything.

"To offer services adapted to each region, you need to take an active interest in regions outside Japan, and make an effort to understand their local customs and culture," said Ono

He closed out the sentiment noting that, "People who work at Capcom are expected to take a broader view of the world."

Ono was also quizzed about DLC, to see the rest of his responses, click the Read more link below.

Next the interviewer inquired about Ono's stance on the development of DLC. He stated that they need to provide a large variety at a good price, and be in line with what people want to see.

"The important [thing] is not viewing DLC as a form of added value," he expressed, "but as a system that we're supposed to have."

"There's no point in making a service people don't need. Even if the service is made available for free, no one will use it if it serves no purpose," said Ono.

"Demand for a paid service naturally emerges if people feel it's something they need," he concluded.

Source: Capcom's investor relations page.

Comments

NoizyChild said on February 4, 2014 at 7:43 p.m.

inb4whiningaboutDLC.

On a serious note, I can dig what he's saying. One of the biggest complaints against Capcom these days is that Capcom of Japan is clueless when it comes to what their fans want. Having a broader worldview would help them get back in touch with their fanbase.

LK said on February 4, 2014 at 7:45 p.m.

Wise words, Japanese who have ventured outside of Japan have already known that the world is bigger than Japan.

E.g., CEO of Rakuten etc.

And judging from Ono's desktop there, some intense corporate sales forecast charts and quarterly revenue streams. Ono is rising to business man level.

Hrm said on February 4, 2014 at 7:47 p.m.

I feel his stance on DLC is interesting, because it doesn't sound like he's saying "All games should be built with DLC" like most people here will likely interpret it, the way SFxT was half a game that you had to buy the rest of several months later
I think he's moreso saying release a complete game, and then release something more based on fan feedback

Xykes said on February 4, 2014 at 7:47 p.m.

Ono da best.

Also, lol at SFxT being "half a game".

43 character roster, with 27 completely new characters is "half a game" these days.

Okay.

NoizyChild said on February 4, 2014 at 7:50 p.m.

Problem is, when DLC is involved, you'll always have a bunch of people whining about how something isn't "the complete game", not taking into account that DLC is EXTRA content.

BunnyBoy said on February 4, 2014 at 7:51 p.m.

Even though I find Japanese culture to be more interesting than American culture, I do think this is a smart perspective if they care more about international marketing potential than making something that's geared towards a game designer's own personal tastes.

Liberator said on February 4, 2014 at 7:53 p.m.

Speak for yourself! There's only 38 characters (without dlc) in MY game! Not everyone here are PSP and PS3 users!...No! far from it! People who whine about DLC, are people who want game they paid for on the first place as a complete package, not sold as pieces one by one! If i pay for a game i already give you my money! So why its not enough for you? Its not like this never been done before, up to the certain point every game has always been sold like this! You pay the money - you get complete product for your paid money (without that DLC crap!), but now for some reason we have to pay money AHEAD of what we've paid for for COMPLETE package! Might i ask WHY? why does developers aren't satisfied with just taking money from game itself? Why does they feel like its important to milk some more?

mrdrofficer said on February 4, 2014 at 7:54 p.m.

In today's crowded market of high cost, triple-A games, a flagship company like Capcom is better served to have their games be viewed as long-term content delivery systems due to the upfront cost of trying to do yearly sequels and new, obviously financially unproven, IP's. The probability of failure vs success tips deeply in favor of failure. Thus, having a RE or a SF that will last a systems lifetime, while delivering steady new content, is the most cost-effective solution and I would expect most large-scale developers like Nintendo to follow this model as well.

A Mario game that will deliver a sequel's worth of new worlds and suits every year. A shooter with new maps and guns every season. And a fighter or two that never need a sequel because they are balanced and updated every however-long.

IareBeStayDrunk said on February 4, 2014 at 8 p.m.

Im sure you dont need to be reminded that the dlc was on the disc already.

while showing the same "early exclusives" for vita.

maybe we did get the complete game and we knew it, it didnt feel complete because we already knew there was more made.

not disagreeing just trying to be the middle man.

nusense said on February 4, 2014 at 8 p.m.

Stop outsourcing games........They barely dev in house any more, let a lone dev in Japan. Dimps help make sf4\ and 8ighting made tvc\mvc3.

YMB9Shinzou said on February 4, 2014 at 8 p.m.

I'm sorry I totally disagree with Ono and the above comments. I mean just look at the Capcom games that they have outsourced to companies in the west or tried to adapt to the west (DR2+3, DMC and RE6).. They have all been a complete disaster.

It's not 'giving me what I want' that has drawn me to Capcom all these years, it's them doing what they believe is right. People like authors or directors don't go around asking what the people might want they give us a window into their uncompromised imagination.

I think that 'giving them what they want' is how we end up with games like AC4 and GoW4, where the smallest amount of originality and creativity is required to sell a title.

Was I behind making Nero and Raiden the main characters in their respective games? No... If they had listened to me and everyone else those bold decisions probably would never have stood.

Give me what YOU want Ono... I'm behind you all the way. As someone who's smarter than me once said "A camel is a horse designed by a committee"

Deen said on February 4, 2014 at 8:09 p.m.

Exactly my thoughts. Their main focus should be themselves. They made so many crap games recently it's ridiculous. Have some f*cking balls, do whatever the f*ck you want and don't try to spoon feed people.

Grevier said on February 4, 2014 at 8:16 p.m.

I just saw a video some days ago...
It was about a Capcom Game...

Resident Evil 2

- Extra Costumes if you were able to reach the Police Station without taking any items.
- Story A & B for both Leon & Claire
- Hunk & Tofu bonus missions

ALL on Disc, no DLC whatsoever.

Sadisticcupid said on February 4, 2014 at 8:19 p.m.

God i miss old re games

sweetmonkeylove said on February 4, 2014 at 8:21 p.m.

That's right Shinzou. Just make the game right the first time.

Has everyone forgot that we grew up playing games on carts? The games had un-lockables and secrets.

YOU HAD TO FIGURE STUFF OUT and/or GRIND TO GET THE EXTRA GOOD STUFF.

DLC for the games I play on Xbox360 has been a scam in my opinion.

DLC can be outstanding if done right. I fully support and will gladly pay for DLC that is actually DLC.

How much have we paid in total for SF4?

ryu600RR said on February 4, 2014 at 8:32 p.m.

go ahead spend your money making DLC, i'm just not buying

your DLC is what I am "suppose to have" already in the game i just bought from you

kaka said on February 4, 2014 at 8:32 p.m.

to be fair, capcom have always milked their products. the whole street fighter 2 bit comes to mind.

BlackOnyxThunder said on February 4, 2014 at 8:35 p.m.

Ono has very good points on both questions especially the one about Capcom "venturing off." All I have to say is that Capcom shouldn't "milk" that idea of DLC because that can result in serious controversy (we all aren't rich you know)... anyways that header looks like a "happy evil Ono villain" plotting a statistical scheme (no offense).

Sage_Liebert said on February 4, 2014 at 8:37 p.m.

Look at most of the Capcom games in the past. They were good because the players didn't have much say so in the development. It's the new rise of video game players over the past 5-6 years that have destroyed the production of these games. And, the other half is the developers fault for drastically changing well known franchises to appeal to the quick fix gamers. If they want to appeal, then do it with a brand new game from scratch.

Quick Fix Gamers that's what we should call them

HooliganComboFTW said on February 4, 2014 at 8:38 p.m.

Paid dlc for extra characters,maps, levels, and cosmetics I'm fine with as long as price is within reason. Demanding DLC to be free makes you an entitled gamer. Free dlc is a luxery not an industry standard. Consumers paid for the game that was advertised, not for specific extra content that may or may not be encrypted within the disc.

fang said on February 4, 2014 at 8:38 p.m.

Love Ono
I'm studying game design and development and one of my dreams is to work for this guy

YMB9Shinzou said on February 4, 2014 at 8:38 p.m.

I think DLC can be nonsense but in the case of SFxT I am on capcoms side.

People can say what they want about it being on the disc but they would never have got the green light for so much content without explaining that more money could have been gotten through DLC. I mean it's not custom weapon skins we are talking about here... It's fully fledged characters. Though I do think Gem DLC was asking for trouble.

panzninja said on February 4, 2014 at 8:43 p.m.

DLC is great
On disc DLC is shameful.

bigjbilly said on February 4, 2014 at 8:44 p.m.

Dayum I want to play some RE 2 now.

KingKong said on February 4, 2014 at 8:49 p.m.

Not sure about the cultural and regional thing... Just keep making GOOD games like you used to, and we'll buy them. Anyway, people love anything japanese as long as it's entertaining. As other have said, stop outsourcing, stop listening to greedy corporate businessmen, stop catering to whatever international audience, and bring back some creativity in your games.

As for DLC, as long as they are reasonably priced, then I don't mind.
PS: why did you shut down Clover studios you shot yourself in the foot there

HyperComboKO said on February 4, 2014 at 8:51 p.m.

The actual problem with SFxT DLC is that it felt like a parody, except it was completely sincere.

Ignoring completely the characters situation and costumes which are standard fare, you had at launch a color customization mode with a total of two color options, black and white, you had to wait months for them to release the packs of colors and hope for them to add the one you wanted, otherwise you had to keep waiting, effectively making it an incomplete mode at the start.

Then you have the custom combos, annoying mechanic that you couldn't turn off at launch, made even worse by the ridiculous negative edge of the game that made easy it to trigger by accident. The option to turn it off was added later with the custom combos DLC, fortunatelly free too. It's not exactly DLC combos people joke about but is as close as it gets.

Last we have the gems, seemingly not tested since at launch the assist gems allowed you to walk and block incoming attacks at a neglible cost of meter and the meter building gems that give you options very fast, that would be cool if they were free, god knows people should be playing the game more aggressively and faster but no, they were kind of pay to win.

Individually those things don't really matter, specially since two of them are free but all of those in one game is really indefensible, even counting on one of those being an aesthetical option that doesn't affects the gameplay, waiting months until one option becomes an actual option is inexcusable.

perfume said on February 4, 2014 at 8:58 p.m.

Castigation said on February 4, 2014 at 9 p.m.

"He followed up by saying that the company needs to monitor the trends of their users, immediately following a title's release, and put out DLC content within a month that reflects their interest."

That sounds like a pipedream to me. How are they supposed to put out DLC that fast when a simple bug fix patch takes months to go through the whole process?

bobalu2 said on February 4, 2014 at 9 p.m.

Don't make anything GAME CHANGING DLC AT ALL such as CHARACTERS (SFxT) and Injustice!.... Idk, I see gaming going down the crapper still, the FGC was the closest I've found to arcades after COD sold out and that died for me.... Oh well time to grow up into a bitter old man.

ROSHINOBI said on February 4, 2014 at 9 p.m.

Hey I've paid a total of a $140.00 SF4 DLC come this August it will be up to $180.00....if there is a ps4 version of Ultra guess my total DLC cost for the street fighter 4 series will be $220.00... but hey watcha gonna do it's how things are these days....u either can afford it or not...regardless Capcom will still handle DLC this new age way...smh.

Bloody_hado said on February 4, 2014 at 9:02 p.m.

Cody and Guy were advertised before the game came out.
That's what really pissed me off, so I just bought the game and no dlc (still love the game though).

YMB9Shinzou said on February 4, 2014 at 9:08 p.m.

The trailer pretty much told you Cody and Guy wouldn't be in the game from the start.

Also in terms of price the hours we get out of a fighting game we love makes them the bargin of the century.

imarvey said on February 4, 2014 at 9:11 p.m.

I remember buying sfxt and having everything as advertised. The only dlc I bought was was the characters and gems. Was there something I'm missing about a game being half done?
And to answer your question, companies like capcom "milk" dlc for the money. So there's your reason

BlackMasamune said on February 4, 2014 at 9:11 p.m.

Maybe they should make an effort to learn how people actually fella about DLC?

Thor21 said on February 4, 2014 at 9:16 p.m.

My thoughts on DLC's is that they are not bad as long as they are done in the right way. I don't know how many remember when fighting games had hidden characters that either needed to be unlock or a code to get to them. I miss having that in the games. I hope that this comes back. Also, I'm not sure if anyone has said anything about Ono-san's hint at DLC's a month after release. I think this may be the hint at DLC's coming out for Ultra. This makes since, as they are delaying this game for so long. I should have been out by the end of March but now we are getting it later. This to me says that the characters we ALL have been asking for will either be hidden or DLC characters after the release of Ultra SF4.

Chi_Shinobi said on February 4, 2014 at 9:17 p.m.

There isn't anything ignorant about what happened with SF X TK. The characters were finished and still sold as Dlc. Dlc should be thought of after release. It's about seeing what everyone likes and base it off that. Not taking one thing and releasing it later then the rest. What if we don't like the base game? The dlc won't be much different because it was made before they knew we didn't like it. Also I used SfxTk as a example. I don't care about whether you dont or do like the game. I don't care for it, but I hope they get to make a sequel someday.

GreenDragon said on February 4, 2014 at 9:41 p.m.

And how is that different from all the Street Fighter updates and RE "Directer's Cuts" that Capcom made back in the day or Nintendo's "buy both games if you want them all" for Pokemon?

HiddenMvC3AES00N said on February 4, 2014 at 9:59 p.m.

U/MvC3 didn't get much of DLC characters. :(

BigFleccs said on February 4, 2014 at 9:59 p.m.

The trailer I saw and what I bought were two different things. It was bait and switch. Yes know that game is subject to change, but damn this wasn't even the same game. It was fun for 19 days. I played longer just to get the trophies. I bought the DLC cause my homeboy liked it and had trouble in AE.

Sage_Liebert said on February 4, 2014 at 10:05 p.m.

Maybe I should just take over your body right about now.

BlackOnyxThunder said on February 4, 2014 at 10:08 p.m.

Do... do I hear dispute?

sweetmonkeylove said on February 4, 2014 at 10:23 p.m.

That's just not correct. There was never DLC such as this until recently.

Capcom milked SF2 in the beginning because of it's huge popularity. At that time we played carts or discs at home with all intended content included. Games in those days required you to unlock levels, characters, weapons, etc...

It's most of the devs doing this now, not just Capcom.

Again DLC is great, just freaking do it right and don't ish the bed this time. Jeez. 6 years to balance a game?

DumbDLC said on February 4, 2014 at 10:37 p.m.

Making a game and selling it in parts isnt really DLC and the sales reflected this I believe. Asura's wrath, the last chapter of that game is DLC Say what you want about the people who whine but capcom has been nickel and diming for years. I think instead of whining about DLC or trying to defend capcom, they shoudl rethink how they do DLC. I think if they made things like costumes unlockable by reaching a certain rank would be much better idea. For those who dont want to play online they could buy the costumes as DLC. Basically I think having DLC as an alternative to unlocking content is better than selling the content to add "value" to a game. Making the choice to play a game and unlock content or buy is fair because no one could whine about anything you want a new character or costume, work for it or buy it.

anyway thats how i feel

HiddenMvC3AES00N said on February 4, 2014 at 10:39 p.m.

Capcom:
DLC Market Expanded 34.0%

sweetmonkeylove said on February 4, 2014 at 10:46 p.m.

If I was Ono's boss I would have to have a discussion with Ono about these comments.

There is no added value or intel for the game creators to travel and talk to players (leave Japan). That is a completely ridiculous idea. The best games in history...top rated...where were they made and by whom?

I am pretty sure Nintendo didn't fly around the world asking some idiot 14 year old how to make Zelda or Mario. They just went ahead and made it right the first time.

The big BS part of this article is the comment about monitoring a game and releasing content in a month.

Any game dev will tell you it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to get sensible fan feedback at a games launch of this magnitude AND release appropriate DLC accordingly...in ONE MONTH...no way...hahaha.

AugustAPC said on February 4, 2014 at 10:53 p.m.

His view on DLC is okay as long as the DLC is created post development and does not compromise the quantity and quality of the content provided with the core game.

DarkDream said on February 4, 2014 at 11:09 p.m.

When people start to try and defend the absolute garbage dlc practice of SFxT as if all the content you had to pay extra for wasn't on the disc already fully usable and as if you weren't just paying for an unlock code, and other people start actually agreeing with it, is when I leave a website.

sweetmonkeylove said on February 4, 2014 at 11:55 p.m.

Poor SFxT.

Bad Game.

Hey! maybe TxSF will be better?

YMB9Shinzou said on February 4, 2014 at 11:57 p.m.

It's not a question if whether it was on the disc ready to use or not. It's a question of whether the content would ever have been made if there wasn't already a DLC plan in place... Characters don't just grow on trees, why can nobody get that?

TagAnarchy said on February 5, 2014 at 12:02 a.m.

What you're referencing is outsourcing. He doesn't seem to be referring to outsourcing, more getting a broader view of the market and tweaking it a bit to fit everyone if possible. Outsourcing simple hands it off saying "Here, do as you please". What Ono is saying is that they're keeping their projects to themselves, though they're also gaining new ideas outside of capcom's walls for inspiration instead of allowing the inspiration to come from elsewhere.

SatsuiNoRyu said on February 5, 2014 at 12:02 a.m.

On Disc DLC is actually a pretty good idea, as long as they are not holding a core aspect of the game hostage it's fine. People bitching about on disc DLC need to think about people with poor quality internet, bandwidth expenditure on both the companies side and the consumers side.

PC gamers have dealt with paying for patches, updates, and expansions for ever and used to have to buy hard copies. MMOs are an example of this, everything is installed and you are only paying for an unlock code(except some parts of some expansions); however, it's all extra content.

If you were told you were getting Ryu in the game, and then when you buy it Ryu turns out to be a payed DLC, that's a problem, on the other hand if you get Ryu and then are told oh hey Ken is unlockable for cash when he was not advertised as part of the core cast then that's fine whether he was on disc or not.

Also why do people only bitch about Capcom on disc DLC? I never heard any bitching about Mr karate, EX Iori, and EX Kyo from the XIII community.

All I'm saying is that if people want to be part of this system where devs update games and add content for years to come, there needs to be a financial incentive, part of that is paid DLC. Otherwise we can all go back to the sh-t and get off the pot model, devs make a game and you have to deal with it good or bad, until Generic title X2 comes out.

YMB9Shinzou said on February 5, 2014 at 12:09 a.m.

Well I believe that RE6 was still made in-house but you could tell they were trying to push it in a direction which was easier for the western market to digest, which basically means that it was robbed of all it's original charm.

It's like Ferrari looking at the annual sales of ford and going "What are we doing wrong?"

DRain said on February 5, 2014 at 12:22 a.m.

I feel like he's trying to imply that DLC should definitely be more feedback-based and not predetermined, which means no on-disc DLC.

DontTaseMeBro said on February 5, 2014 at 12:50 a.m.

So in other words, if you want a job in Japan, don't work at Capcom.

Thanks for clearing that up Ono.

Sasuga said on February 5, 2014 at 12:56 a.m.

How?! How did you NOT get what you paid for with SFxT?!?! The extra characters were never advertised before release and you didn't even know they were on the disk when you got it. You did NOT pay for them, just like you would have when they would NOT have been on the disk.

It is amazing to me that people can feel entitled to something that they did not pay for while they are getting everything they did pay for. If some of the characters that were used to advertise the game were not on the disk at release, then you people would have had a case.

Sasuga said on February 5, 2014 at 12:59 a.m.

The bosses were on your original SF2 cartridge but they were never playable. That wasn't a problem?

Ugh...

Kingpin_of_Snow said on February 5, 2014 at 1:14 a.m.

I disagree on RE6 & DmC be disasters. Both games (imo) are flat out fun in the end. Sure both have a few things I don't really like (that CoD'ish perk system & cussing for the sake of cussing) but both did a good job in entertaining & taking up my time. The controls for both games are spot on, decent story & (in RE6 case) packed with a good amount of content. Also, I agree with Ono. The world's too big a place to just sit in your island or country. It definitely doesn't hurt at all to broaden your views. All this is just an opinion.

perfume said on February 5, 2014 at 1:37 a.m.

hazelnut1112 said on February 5, 2014 at 1:42 a.m.

Poor, poor Ono.
This is the same crap Inafune said before he left Capcom and after what he said, Capcom did exactly that. Then years later and here we are, Capcom with little money in the bank because they followed these practices.
Go home Ono, you're drunk.

cered said on February 5, 2014 at 2:36 a.m.

Well, for one, I was five. And two, the bosses didn't serve solely as a vehicle for monetization. They were there to fit a visceral need (in gaming): a fight with the big badass that just whooped the other badass's ass.
The developer mindset back then wasn't primarily concerned with shareholder interests. If Capcom wants to go forward properly with their IP's and be successful, they need to do something fundamental: BE the consumer--not their ideal of a target consumer, but A consumer. #deep

Jookey said on February 5, 2014 at 3:36 a.m.

The bosses in SF2 weren't programmed to be playable.

The "extra" characters in SFxT were.

DiegoBrando said on February 5, 2014 at 3:37 a.m.

No wonder Capcom is low on money.

All the recent games they made, trying to appease the western audience were total crap. I am sorry but there was a reason I loved DmC and it wasn't because the protagonist was a emo kid that can only swear. You don't need to appease everyone. Make a good game first! If it's good people will buy it.

And I have nothing against DLC. As long as it's actual new content. Like an expansion pack, back in the days. But having complete content on the disc (Jill and Shuma) that are locked from someone that already bought the game, and needs to download a code for $5 to unlock them is just a greedy scam. There are no other words for it. It's really low.

Super_Honda said on February 5, 2014 at 3:38 a.m.

DLC stuff is getting old. But I do believe that Capcom made execution and timing errors for SFxT and that kinda affected the game's popularity in some ways. Turnouts for SFxT at the tournaments in general are not good as well and to make matters worse for SFxT, only a certain group of players would be willing to invest their time and effort into playing and exploring SFxT as much as possible. Regular tourney players would normally play SSF4 and/or UMVC3 and they would play SFxT just to get that tournament pay check.

Anyway, Capcom did make a mistake by giving some of their upcoming games to Western developers to make it because games like RE: operation Raccoon city proved to be a disaster. As for RE6, I didn't really have a major problem with that game since I enjoyed playing that game. But I feel that if Capcom cut down the bad aspects of RE6, it would've been a much better game. People saying that RE is not scary anymore or becoming like COD: well, first off, in Japan, it is known as BIOHAZARD and if you know the franchise, you should know the series is about guys like Leon and Chris saving the world from evil guys creating Bio activity and spread it across the world. In Wesrern world, it is known as Resident Evil, which has a different meaning and it would associate with the horror aspects of the game. Its easy to understand that people from the West will have a different interpretation of the franchise, just like those who live in Japan will have their own interpretation too. As for RE6 being like COD, only Chris's campaign felt more like COD compared to others.

Anyway, I do remember when Inafune said something like Japan needs to move forward after seeing how much the West has developed over time and whatever is gonna happen next, I don't wanna see Capcom going down under. Capcom must see what's best for business as well for consumers. I'm looking to forward to new fighting games from Capcom in the future, especially from SF series.

SidewayShift said on February 5, 2014 at 4:05 a.m.

U dont let influences cloud your judgement, instead, u find the key to what makes the influence so strong, and be able to mix that key ingredient into your own original creation while still maintaining a balance so it does not overrun what what made your own ingredient so potent. Otherwise it will become nothing but a mere copy.

Stick to you roots, look around, keep an open mind and evolve - Philosophy of the greatest things to ever be created KAPPA

Capcom are becoming mere copies, just look at RE6, where are its roots in gameplay besides its story?

Kojima-san and the MGS series stays true to its roots but still evolves with the times. Reason why he is one of the most respected in the gaming industry.

warriors said on February 5, 2014 at 4:39 a.m.

what is the software on his screens?

Anyone have an idea?

akaisora said on February 5, 2014 at 5:13 a.m.

Sasuga said on February 5, 2014 at 5:16 a.m.

@62 & 63 : You guys come up with these 'arguments' on the spot. The stuff you mention does not affect you as a customer any more than when these extra characters were not on the disk, but released as true DLC later on. It still costs you the same amount of money to get the extra characters.

The motives behind what developer puts on what disks or what was programmed for whatever intention does not concern the customer who is at his local game store, looking to buy a game. This game : this price. Agree is buy, disagree is no buy. Simple as that. Everyone single person who bought the game agreed with the price and the content.

Sasuga said on February 5, 2014 at 5:17 a.m.

I don't even know why I'm still trying to put up with this discussion, tho...

[EDIT]O wait. Maybe it's because stupid sh!t like this will likely be Capcom's downfall. The company that most of us us loved since childhood and who have been doing this stuff since the old days. Remember all those numverous versions of SF2? Basically old days 'DLC'.

Have a nice day.

mrdrofficer said on February 5, 2014 at 5:37 a.m.

People obviously need a reminder post about sfxt.

If a company is going to make a game they get, eh, $2 million to do it, for example. If a company wants to extend the life of their game, they now may put out $3 million. Does that mean you didn't get the whole game? No. You were never entitled to that extra content, on disk or not, The budget was made to afford EXTRA content. Content that would not have existed without the extra money used to make it. Freemium, free-to-play and all that is different. But on disk or not, I'd a company wants to offer long term content that doesn't conflict with the original package being complete, then there is no fault. In another world, a 90's world there would be only the original sfxt characters and the others either would not have existed or required a new boxed title.

xShonuffx said on February 5, 2014 at 5:48 a.m.

Is that so?

Because if I recall the problem was never the DLC itself but how it was implemented. All content was already on disc and completed yet was only released Day 1 on Vita and was planned to be released several months later on consoles. See the key word you used was "EXTRA" but there was nothing "EXTRA" about it. the content was deliberately held back in order to stretch profit goals and get more of our money.

Day 1 DLC is bad NoizyChild and no amount of defense on your part will ever support that.

In order for content to be considered EXTRA it has to feel like its EXTRA otherwise it loses its meaning and people feel ripped off.

OhYouDontSayThat said on February 5, 2014 at 6:09 a.m.

Ono's awesome!

Sage_Liebert said on February 5, 2014 at 6:36 a.m.

All DLC is to get more of our money. Whether they finished it along with the game or a month after. So what if they finished the DLC at the same time as the game and kept it off the disc and gave it to you at a later time?

perfume said on February 5, 2014 at 6:45 a.m.

Hraklea said on February 5, 2014 at 7:09 a.m.

The thing is that, when they sell you a game with DLC in disk, they are already charging for the DLC because they had to consider its cost in the product. When you sell a game with separate DLC (that don't come in the disk), you can charge a cheaper price, because the cost of the disk is lower.

The big issue about this is that Capcom basically threw at our faces that SFxT disk was overpriced. I'm not naive to think that other companies don't do the same (sell overpriced products), but this one was explicit.

shinra358 said on February 5, 2014 at 7:13 a.m.

They took this same article down at siliconera lol

Wardog said on February 5, 2014 at 7:13 a.m.

You're right people shouldn't just give Capcom all the crap when other companies do it too, but what NR did with their DLC is a lot better than Capcom do with their DLC.

Me personally, I hate DLC characters cause that's just handicapping the players match up and stupid stuff can happen like Marvel taking down DLC... at least NR gave you outfits when you just download the patch, unlike capcom that just make you buy the DLC and just take it like, it is.

Wardog said on February 5, 2014 at 7:23 a.m.

But you got to remember that people already bought everything that should have been on the disk(lock or not)... Harada gave everybody the DLC for free, even though it was temporary lock (cause of tweaking) and didn't charge nobody. Now how can he do it, but Capcom, SNK, NR or other companies can't? Its call milking, that's why.

Sasuga said on February 5, 2014 at 7:25 a.m.

NoizyChild said on February 5, 2014 at 7:30 a.m.

Then I sure hope you didn't play Injustice, because that DLC was completed as the same time as the main game as well.

The only difference between SFxT and Injustice is where the DLC was stored, and how much it cost.

As a matter of fact, almost all DLC is completed alongside the initial content, except for FPS games, because the content itself is too big.

So hating one game or company for doing the exact same things as other games and/or companies is a bit silly.

If you're gonna hate one for doing it, hate them all.

xShonuffx said on February 5, 2014 at 7:42 a.m.

Where in my comment have I said I loved or hated anything regarding DLC, unless you mean everyone in general? I'm just arguing your point. and for the record I have played Injustice I don't see what this changes or proves. Im neutral on this subject and not loyal to any company.

As I stated before its not the DLC itself (because people want DLC) its how it was implemented and they way it is delivered can make or break a game.

JdotSweapA said on February 5, 2014 at 7:51 a.m.

Oh please, the fact that I'd rather buy a game that doesn't use DLC to sell itself doesn't make me a "whiner" by default. Jeez, nearly every time I've seen you comment, your spouting the same old crap nonstop.

xShonuffx said on February 5, 2014 at 7:56 a.m.

So what if they did? I don't think you understand my stance on this. I'm not defending them or against them. I am simply stating that the way you advertise your DLC, present it, sell it and distribute it can make or break you. It is the reason why people loved NRS way versus Capcoms. Both did the exact same thing in terms of on-disc DLC but presentation was on NRS side was better thus less backlash from the community.

To prove my point, you might recall that Capcom announced after getting their beloved A+ rating from the BBB downgraded that they will "re-evaluate" their on-disc DLC marketing.

xShonuffx said on February 5, 2014 at 8:02 a.m.

Why do I have this feeling that I'm being put into this category that has nothing to do with what I said in the comments nor does it reflect my message. May I kindly ask you to Re-read it please before commenting. You made no sense what you just said.

This is what NoizyChild said and I quote:

"SFxT was complete. We got everything that was advertised during pre-release, then we got the EXTRA (keep that word in mind)characters, gems, colors, and costumes down the line.

9 times out of 10, when people are crying about "the complete game", it usually means they just want everything for free."

His accusation for whiners comes form the idea that people want "everything free." While that is a likely desire it is not entirely true. People buy whatever they feel is worth their money. And people who hated the SFxT debacle had very good reasons for doing so. Simply put, they felt ripped off.

So because SFxT is a target im a Injustice fan? I think I bought like 1 character ever from that game and bought the DLC for SFxT. People, stop acting like you know me when you don't.

Dimensional said on February 5, 2014 at 8:13 a.m.

DLC is fine if the game allows for it Little Big Planet is a perfect example, Capcom however like many others (most) have not implemented DLC well and have garnered a lot of negativity for it. Although some also have blatant rip off DLC practices and get away with it applauded even such as Injustice so I can understand Capcoms confusion sometimes.

Jookey said on February 5, 2014 at 8:35 a.m.

It does cost us more. Because they charge extra for stuff that's already available. It's not like they waited for the game to go gold to start working on the "extra" characters.

DORMWORM said on February 5, 2014 at 8:50 a.m.

Ono wishes he was Blanka..

gammabolt17 said on February 5, 2014 at 9:05 a.m.

No, those reasons were NOT good. I get what you're saying, and I don't necessarily disagree with you either, but people crying about SFxT stuff being on disc? Stupid.

Whether those characters were on disc or not, we were going to be charged for them. For people that wasn't going to buy them, they would have probably not even gotten the compatibility packs or whatever, and the people who purchased it wouldn't have been able to use it. Are people forgetting about not being able to use new characters in MK9 and costumes in Vanilla SF4 because of this? We all know stuff like this gets planned ahead of time (hence Cody's "late to the party" comment). All I can see is that people would have rather been lied to about it all. People sit in here and suck NRS and Arksys nuts, but they are just as bad (or kinda worse, in Arksys' case).

NoizyChild said on February 5, 2014 at 9:35 a.m.

I meant it in a general way. You've always been a cool guy.

You're missing my point, though.

People are so caught up on how it's implemented that they don't realize that the implementation also dictates the price.

SFxT's DLC was on-disc. We got 12 characters for $20.

Injustice's DLC was off-disc. We got 6 characters for $30.

That's half the characters for more money.

DLC being on the disc doesn't mean that you own it. The End User License Agreement dictates what you have the right to access when you purchase the disc. In SFxT's case, it was the initial 38 or 43 character cast.

On-disc DLC is nothing new. What do you think was going on with games like Gears of War, Rock Band, and Guitar Hero?

So basically, people just want things for free.

gammabolt17 said on February 5, 2014 at 9:46 a.m.

How exactly did SFxT "use DLC to sell itself"? Serious question.

chaoslimits said on February 5, 2014 at 9:49 a.m.

Just because the DLC is on disc doesn't mean it was developed as part of the original game; it's not a conclusion you can logically draw.
I don't understand where this conclusion comes from. If Capcom had made us download the same data instead of putting it on disc everyone would suddenly be OK with that? I fine with it man; you can leave EH now.

mrdrofficer said on February 5, 2014 at 10:22 a.m.

You forget that the Vita version came out MONTHS after console. So unless you wanted a Vita game that costs $15 more than any other game on the Vita, what else would you like them to do to recoup the higher development costs? They knew people wanted a new version down the line, SINCE EVERY FIGHTER THEY'VE EVER RELEASED HAS, and having it on disc meant smooth online between buyers and not as well as extending the life of the game.

I'm sick of talking about SFxT's content, but I can't believe people are still so ignorant of how this went down.

Eye_of_Orochi said on February 5, 2014 at 10:42 a.m.

If Capcom would stop gutting out what makes their franchises great and filling it with casual friendly nonsense, fluff and unnecessary DLC, they could rise again. I used to be a blind Capcom loyalist but once they started catering to casuals I stopped busting out my wallet for everything related to the franchises I loved.

They used to appeal to a hardcore audience with their games, and now the original fans of series get screwed by games that are too easy and change the old formula to the point where their former identity is lost. Capcom needs to strike a balance between appealing to the hardcore, experienced fans that made their franchises popular in the first place, and the casuals, who are undoubtedly the majority nowadays. Money is of course important but it seems those dollar signs in their eyes blind them from making anything substantial anymore which is unfortunate because they used to create the most amazing games.

houtori said on February 5, 2014 at 11:53 a.m.

This guy pretty much said exactly what i wanted too. <3

NoizyChild said on February 5, 2014 at 3:04 p.m.

Times have changed. The cost of making games has at least tripled.

Capcom could afford to cater solely to hardcore players back then because they had arcades backing them up, and games were much cheaper to make.

Now, with arcades damn near extinct, and games costing millions of dollars to make, Capcom, along with every other company, has to try and appeal to the casual fanbase, since that's where the majority of the money comes from, while at the same time satisfying the hardcore players.

Not to mention that with games being so expensive to make, companies can't really afford to gamble with new ideas and IPs, lest they take a big loss if they fail.

So yes, all companies are worried about "those dollar signs", since those dollars keep them in business and producing games.

Mel_Masters said on February 5, 2014 at 5:14 p.m.

My stance on DLC is I dont care how I get content as long as the content is well thought out and maximum effort was put into it. The reason why I will not buy USF4 is because we get cosmetically dull copy paste characters from a previous game down to their moves and only one "new" character in this update. Even the added mechanics are sloppy in my opinion (as well as some professional players opinions). If you look at SSF4's release look what we got for 40 dollars (Adon, Cody, Dudley, Ibuki, Guy, Makoto, Juri, Hakan, T. Hawk, and Dee Jay). All which is NOT cookie cutter in any aspect to the series and 2 brand new characters who had fighting styles that were tremendously unique to any SF game. They added a 2nd ultra to the mechanics and thats it because that was all that is needed and it not only made the new characters different but it added a brand new dimension to the vanilla fighters as well. There is absolutely no excuse for the trash that is being given to us now. Defend capcom all you want but its all of you that do so that allow capcom to give us this laziness but the proof is all in its history. The problem with SFxT (I love the game dont get me wrong) in my opinion is that the SF and Tekken names were attatched to it. They should have just made it into a brand new IP and it would have been more accepted. Now capcom is in a financial slump because these practices are all over their games. It really saddens me.

Raven said on February 5, 2014 at 6:25 p.m.

Yeah, but Capcom isn't doing something right with other franchises. Some of the other titles (outside fighting games) got terrible reviews and pretty much just sucked themself into a blackhole.

Isn't there a way to make GOOD games while appealing to casuals? RE/DMC....mainly come to mind.

They have done it right with SF.

MEGAMFIBLM said on February 5, 2014 at 6:54 p.m.

*On Disc DLC is actually a pretty good idea*

The hell NO!!

-''Think about people with poor quality internet''
That's a poor excuse, you and i know that, and even i don't get a AWESOME internet, they have no excuse for doing that.

Content that is UNLOCKABLE ON THE DISC is not the same than a
NEW and DOWNLOADABLE content.

If they want to get more money from us with NEW content, fine, i don't disagree with that. But what I can not stand is the fact than they sell the content ON THE DISC.

Even though I were to buy the rest of the characters in SFxT, is more expensive than the game itself (disc)!! FOR JESUSCHRIST!!
And i don't even mentioned the resto of the gems or the customes .-.

Mel_Masters said on February 5, 2014 at 8:05 p.m.

My point is they arent doing it right with street fighter anymore. especially since Arcade Edition. Not good at all. I do agree their non fighting game IPs arent doing well either. That also contributes to their financial problems and the state they are in now.

I_Are_RaBBiT said on February 6, 2014 at 6:28 a.m.

He may troll ALOT (always in good jest though) but I really like Ono! Seems like a genuine guy who holds the customers' interests highly! Good stuff!

JdotSweapA said on February 6, 2014 at 2:05 p.m.

I never said anything about SFxT

Load more comments