Daigo: 'I want to continue as a pro gamer until it's become accepted', Japanese TV show explores Umehara's home, his daily routines and more

Posted by Nicholas 'MajinTenshinhan' Taylor • February 2, 2014 at 9:05 a.m. PST

Yesterday, a Japanese TV show did a report on pro gaming, and of course chose Japan's first official pro gamer, Daigo Umehara, as the subject of their report.

In this report, cameras follow Daigo around for one day, examining his daily life and his routines.

Hit the jump for more details as well as the video itself.

Since the video itself is in Japanese and has no subtitles, we've added a few notes below regarding points of interest.

• As a child, Daigo's parents often told him to not spend so much time playing games.

• Daigo has no games at his home. The reason for this is that, as a pro gamer, he's afraid he'll put too much time into gaming if he keeps them at home, noting that taking breaks and resting is a very important part of staying in top form.

• Daigo explained that he goes to the gym not only because he's mindful of his own physical health, but also because he wants to go against the cultural image that people who play games only sit inside and don't exercise.

• After going to the gym and before going to his gaming spot, Daigo stops by a meeting with his publisher. Daigo has already had two books published, and it seems like a third might be in the works.

• Daigo has a separate location filled with games, as you can see in the video, and he usually stays there from when he arrives (seems to be around 6PM) until he takes the last train home at night.

• When asked what his future goals as a pro gamer are, Daigo notes that he wants to continue playing on a professional level until gaming gets accepted as a true sport/pasttime, since he believes that its current perception is generally negative.

YouTube upload courtesy of mark jon.

Story image courtesy of Honda Blog.

Thanks to DreamKing23, sarif2soon and an anonymous user for sharing this with us.

Comments

calypsx said on February 2, 2014 at 9:11 a.m.

Daigo is honestly inspiring and not just as a gamer but as a person. He stays so true to his goals without letting them consume and control his entire life. I honestly hope I can obtain that much passion and dedication someday.

perfume said on February 2, 2014 at 9:11 a.m.

Legacy_of_K said on February 2, 2014 at 9:12 a.m.

How can you possibly hate on him?
Everybody touches himself talking about growing the FGC, but only him apply it first to himself.

PropLeXed said on February 2, 2014 at 9:13 a.m.

So much respect for this guy.

perfume said on February 2, 2014 at 9:19 a.m.

TehFamine said on February 2, 2014 at 9:21 a.m.

He has a great mindset where he doesn't let the sport degrade him both mentally and physically. This is why the Japanese players are on a different level.

abirzenith said on February 2, 2014 at 9:24 a.m.

and so the hating begins

OhYouDontSayThat said on February 2, 2014 at 9:27 a.m.

I love the little "orgasm cam" in the bottom right. American news stations must adopt this practice, NOW!

LuiManDR said on February 2, 2014 at 9:28 a.m.

Subtitles PlEASEEEEE....

Existent said on February 2, 2014 at 9:29 a.m.

Who is he hating? Nothing he said was a slight against Daigo.

Anyway, there isn't much I can say about him that hasn't been repeated ad infinitum. We all know who he is.

TagAnarchy said on February 2, 2014 at 9:34 a.m.

He seems like a respectable person. Wish I could meet him in person. That gaming pad though is impressive as hell.

UltimateDeeJay said on February 2, 2014 at 9:35 a.m.

So Inspirational.

abirzenith said on February 2, 2014 at 9:35 a.m.

He is clearly hating on daigo, stating that now fanboys will droll over him, if this was in any other sport or about any other athlete , we wouldnt point a single finger yet here we are, when a gaming legend is being showcased people already firing comments as to how biased his fans are, using words like dickriding and even u saying we already know everything, never saw any football fan say anything like that even if they knew every detail

Kijui said on February 2, 2014 at 9:37 a.m.

Damnit, its weird how our philosophies mirror our characters... Saikyo is STILL the better way, Daigo! N-not like you would know that!

Ett said on February 2, 2014 at 9:38 a.m.

Maybe some players should stop writing tweets and start writing books.

Existent said on February 2, 2014 at 9:41 a.m.

1. He never criticized Daigo himself.
2. I never said you or anyone knows everything, stop reading between the lines when there's nothing there.

I don't care either way, I'm just pointing out that some people are overly sensitive.

Kinman777 said on February 2, 2014 at 9:44 a.m.

I will always be rooting for Daigo!

salindy13 said on February 2, 2014 at 9:49 a.m.

Dickriding is usually a word directed at fans. If he wanted to insult Daigo, he would have said extra.

UltimateDeeJay said on February 2, 2014 at 9:56 a.m.

Even though I never met him before, I feel that we both have something in common during childhood days. My parents or my older brother often told me not to spend too much time in video games.

Shinkutatsumaki said on February 2, 2014 at 10 a.m.

This

caruga said on February 2, 2014 at 10:02 a.m.

Well why not. Noone's gonna ride yours.

speeeedMEAT said on February 2, 2014 at 10:06 a.m.

This exactly.'Dickrider' is directed towards rabid fans, not the player.

Mr2Good said on February 2, 2014 at 10:09 a.m.

Man. I don't have a clue what they're saying but they sure do sound happy.lol

And was Diago really Japan's first pro gamer?

pants4ever said on February 2, 2014 at 10:12 a.m.

zUkUu said on February 2, 2014 at 10:16 a.m.

He is renting TWO flats?! One for living and one for gaming (lol @5 TVs or so). I'd be way too lazy for that. I'd have just rented a 2 room flat and do that, if I were him. Well, he has his reasons.

rocorolly said on February 2, 2014 at 10:19 a.m.

Either way it's kinda ridiculous to state that phrase, just because people agree or disagree with an opinion. Even in cases where someone(s) happens to agree 98.9% of the time with another person's conduct, way of thinking and general character I find that statement ridiculous. It happens, some people have agreeable personalities, philosophies and practices.

I'm not saying the first comment perfume posted should have been down voted, but the preemptive second one I can see reasoning behind.

MKKhanzo said on February 2, 2014 at 10:20 a.m.

Dat Ryu vs Akuma ready to train hahaha he may be preparing for soe vs Infiltration rematch. Funny seeing Daigo swating at the Gym.

And was he streaming/video capping his stuff? Also, he was playing on a CRT right?

ExcellentYong said on February 2, 2014 at 10:21 a.m.

Daigo's nose is so shiny!

perfume said on February 2, 2014 at 10:22 a.m.

Gotomaster said on February 2, 2014 at 10:28 a.m.

It is an insult to Daigo as well in some ways.Its essentially insinuating that praising, and admiring the guy is only due to blind fanboyism, rather than legitimately viewing him as someone exceptional.

Existent said on February 2, 2014 at 10:30 a.m.

You're insinuating more in your post than he was in his.

perfume said on February 2, 2014 at 10:32 a.m.

DontTaseMeBro said on February 2, 2014 at 10:40 a.m.

As much as people hate on Perfume's comment aka the 2nd post. This guy is actually speaking the truth, but hear me out.

I live in San Antonio, and down here it is very divided, one group plays Super SFIV AE2012, one group plays UMVC3, and then there's poverty group that play's Tekken, Persona, Blazblue, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct. etc. Not only do people not wish to learn how to play anything but Street Fighter and Marvel because it's scrub friendly (I am sorry but it honestly is.) but down here, we have a big drinking problem.

I won't call out anyone, but the group Real 210 Fighters has some serious issues, and while I wasn't no angel myself, I just wouldn't put up with there crap, with them calling me trash, trolling me, and being drunk every single time we go out to play. Now keep in mind, only I would say maybe 35 percent of the group would always get drunk. But a good 10 percent of the group or more was classy, and then there's those who just don't show up because they got tired of the communities antics.

No one wants to admit it, but "Real 210 Fighters" (Yes they call themselves that, is a very childish name) is very divided and disorganized. I got tired of people talking mess behind my back, calling me trash and stuff, and disrespecting me and I eventually snapped at them and they are trying to desperately ban me from every group gathering. I guess someone forgot to tell them that they aren't no police force.

We also have NO major tournaments here, yet we have them in Dallas and Houston. Hell even Austin is more respected then us.

I actually lost my love for playing fighting games because of that group. It just wasn't fun anymore. And I was vastly dissapointed with them.

You see, people think the FGC is a community, but it's not, in reality everyone is out for themselves, who can be the best player to win it all. And once I realized that, I bounced.

So as long as we have people like that, Pro Gaming will never be accepted in the public eye, I mean look at Fanatiq's antics, look at when Aris was sexually harrasing that one chick (forgot her name) and then ontop of that, he said that sexual harrassement is part of the community?

Well if that's the case, then females will never feel welcomed to outplay us men, because it is a sausage fest, and no woman want's to be hit on just because she's a female gamer, or told she's ugly for that matter too.

This community is as unstable as the US Government is, it is sad but true. I know many people are trying. But from what I saw with San Antonio? I just don't see it happening. I am sorry. :(

Blackoshinomi said on February 2, 2014 at 10:40 a.m.

well i don't about fighting games but starcraft could be on it way LOL

gost_body said on February 2, 2014 at 10:50 a.m.

hmm. I dont know, we have about billion people with their eyes on the super bowl today a sport where you throw a ball round kick it chase it like a dog pile up like a destruction derby.

Am sure a video game can grab a tiny fraction of that colossus attention.

Gotomaster said on February 2, 2014 at 10:51 a.m.

@Existent and perfume

You, perfume,clearly have nothing positive to say, thus only telling me you dislike Daigo, then fine, think that way, IF that's how you feel.

Now you, Existent, I'm not insinuating anything, as my comment is pretty straightforward. All my sentence basically says is "saying someone's a dickrider is essentially hinting that anyone who has something positive to say about Daigo is just that,a dickrider", rather than being an objective onlooker who recognizes Daigo's strengths.

Now, again,I am not saying that's how you two actually think,just be aware that it can be seen as an insult to Daigo.

Blackoshinomi said on February 2, 2014 at 10:52 a.m.

Reply @perfume

And i agree with you again !

I never been a ban wagon person i just like watching good players play fighting games .

I respect daigo as a person and as fighting game player !

But has fan are some the worst!

I just hate how ever sec daigo this daigo that they act like none else is good at what they do.

It remind me of my simple question i asked about a few week ago.

I asked was daigo really one of the best ask 3rd strike And i named a few players that i know are better than him !

And his fans went ape sh*t! -_-

Gotomaster said on February 2, 2014 at 10:55 a.m.

Things don't become a reality, until action is taken. Having a pessimistic outlook on life only brings failure in the future. Besides, E-sports, as well as Sports have players who have done questionable things, and still do them today. The Fgc is pretty tame by comparison. I deal with those same people as well, but there insignificant.

Gotomaster said on February 2, 2014 at 10:59 a.m.

Except he has deserved his spot. When he was playing 3s, he was one of the best players. Was he the best, no, but he was one of the best. I've seen your comment, makes it seem like Daigo only played Sf4, and wasn't a 3s legend, which is false.

Blackoshinomi said on February 2, 2014 at 11:02 a.m.

I never said he was bad LOL
But i wouldn't say he's a 3s legend!
More like a Sf4 legend!

Existent said on February 2, 2014 at 11:02 a.m.

Fair enough. I thought you were directing that at him directly.
I still believe that anyone assuming something like that is being foolish, but it does happen.

stochastic said on February 2, 2014 at 11:04 a.m.

Yeah, the CRT was weird, since he has a giant flatscreen in his own place. That lair is pretty rad, though. A definite man cave.

They should do more "Cribs" episodes for high-level players.

Devrae said on February 2, 2014 at 11:19 a.m.

"When asked what his future goals as a pro gamer are, Daigo notes that he wants to continue playing on a professional level until gaming gets accepted as a true sport/pasttime, since he believes that its current perception is generally negative."

I thought the only country that takes Esport/gaming as a career seriously was South Korea? It seems to be frowned upon in any other country.

Japan don't even have a PC gaming teams (LoL/Dota/SC2) at all, I just don't see how japan will ever look at gaming as a true sport. That country, IMO seriously values education more then gaming then in most countries.

perfume said on February 2, 2014 at 11:24 a.m.

L45R said on February 2, 2014 at 11:24 a.m.

"Daigo explained that he goes to the gym not only because he's mindful of his own physical health, but also because he wants to go against the cultural image that people who play games only sit inside and don't exercise."

Huge respect to this....hopefully this will influence some American players as well...especially tournies players are going on stream now...and image is everything....

ExcellentYong said on February 2, 2014 at 11:26 a.m.

I remember when Bonchan used to be size Jwong.

pants4ever said on February 2, 2014 at 11:42 a.m.

dirtyvillain said on February 2, 2014 at 11:47 a.m.

the beast in human form.

Neobrown said on February 2, 2014 at 11:54 a.m.

@OP. There's a typo in the title, it should read either; "it has become" or "it becomes".

Masose said on February 2, 2014 at 11:54 a.m.

Oh shoot, look at them quarter circles! Ohhhhhhh

DarkCyclone said on February 2, 2014 at 11:58 a.m.

What is with Japanese TV, do they really need the massive graphics displaying unrelated content taking up half the screen, giant obstructing font at the bottom, and screaming narrators? Everytime I see something that had aired in Japan, it has the same whackiness, even for something you'd consider a little more mellow like a documentary about a pro gamer

Santaclaus said on February 2, 2014 at 11:58 a.m.

If all your other comments are true then explain to me: what is the purpose of this comment of yours and in what way does it contribute to anything?

Santaclaus said on February 2, 2014 at noon

And same question goes for everyone defending that comment

OhYouDontSayThat said on February 2, 2014 at 12:08 p.m.

You post one little video about Daigo and look at this sh*t storm that breaks out! Thaaaanks EH!!! lol

ReddChief said on February 2, 2014 at 12:09 p.m.

Being a fan of someone and saying something nice and respectful about them is dickriding now (facepalm). Haters gonna hate and yes it's hating because you seem to hate that people are a fan of the guy and speaks positive of them plain and simple, stop hating because you can't do what someone else does.

Kwisatz_Haderach said on February 2, 2014 at 12:13 p.m.

LOL, are you auditioning for Downton Abbey or something?

I'll play along - Look here ol' chap, I object to your sentiments and the manner in which they were conveyed, so be a jolly geezer and desist in this hullabaloo!

ReddChief said on February 2, 2014 at 12:15 p.m.

Playing on a crt is not weird it's smart he also has SF4 in the arcade cab which is crt you get zero lag and a flatscreen will never produce a better picture than a good crt.

etrotman said on February 2, 2014 at 12:18 p.m.

stochastic said on February 2, 2014 at 12:21 p.m.

Yeah I know about the lag issue. But why train on a zero-lag CRT when tournaments all use flatscreens? The SFIV arcade cabs are also on HD flatscreens, not CRTs.

Tryken said on February 2, 2014 at 12:25 p.m.

Hey, man. I just want to say that I'm sorry to hear about the experience and situation you had to endure.

You're right that the FGC has some shaky stability to say the least, but I believe, despite some backlash, there's been plenty of forward progress.

Just look at Eventhubs itself. It's not a heavily opinionated blog but a very professional news and information website with links to streams. Shoryuken has also stepped up to come off as more professional. Gone, at EVO and many other major tournaments, is the heavy cursing and racial slang. The community is moving forward. But it's an organic movement--not one in a straight line toward pure professionalism. It's been full of setbacks and bad PR, but I've continued to be impressed with our forward momentum.

While I'm sorry that the San Antonio scene proved to be unwelcoming and disappointing to you, I found my minor involvement with the Orlando scene to be more than welcoming. With that said, I'd take neither of those experiences though to represent the FGC and its direction as a whole.

AdamBomb said on February 2, 2014 at 12:27 p.m.

Professional gaming is looked down upon almost everywhere. South Korea is just the place where it is most accepted. Sure they have TV channels and all that but a lot of players still get flak for their career choice. There was a documentary on Starcraft players that showed this. It isn't true for EVERYONE in South Korea but a good amount still do not respect it. Also, Japan isn't big into PC games in general (It's a cultural thing). To them, computer=work and console/arcade=play/recreation. They do have some players though, just none that are really of note. The education part you said is very true though, and is the case in a good amount of Asian countries.

caruga said on February 2, 2014 at 12:31 p.m.

Be grateful that people do dickride Daigo; it stops him from going after your mothers.

nusense said on February 2, 2014 at 12:32 p.m.

He better start getting good at other games, because Street fighter won't be around forever.

gaming99 said on February 2, 2014 at 12:32 p.m.

guys, ignore perfume. He is just trying to get attention because nobody cares to dickride his favorite player.

I personally, would rather dickride someone like Daigo than any of hypocritical FGC celebrities from United States of America.

At 4:10, Kyoko Fukada poster in the ceiling is just instant Kreygasm.

Also, thanks to eventhubs for rough translation for that video.

SrAbuguet said on February 2, 2014 at 12:34 p.m.

Daigo's legacy is the portrait of the video game professional. He's fully dedicated to it and won't stop till the end of his days. A guy like this could've been the president of his country if he would've wanted to IMO.

Good we know who is gonna represent planet Earth in case a galaxy tournament happens.

TheArchangel said on February 2, 2014 at 12:34 p.m.

You and Everyone else should ignore this troll. He's spewed hatred for years on every article about Daigo. His old account name was illness690(easy to recognize the typing style and pathetic hating style) until he got banned. Once you start arguing with a troll, you've already lost. It's understandable that people want knock on his accomplishments and attack anyone admiring him because of their own insecurity, bitterness, jealousy and whatever other failure in their own miserable life.

As for the article itself. People like Daigo are the best ambassadors the FGC could ask for.

bananainsaneface said on February 2, 2014 at 12:54 p.m.

Daigo struggling to do girly pushups lmao.

Existent said on February 2, 2014 at 1:14 p.m.

Wow, I mention an assumptive fallacy without interjecting with an opinion and get downvoted with kneejerk reactions. I shouldn't have even bothered.

Shalaska said on February 2, 2014 at 1:23 p.m.

6/10 Conventional troll

Second comment showed tryhard tendencies but otherwise acceptable.

cliffeside said on February 2, 2014 at 1:34 p.m.

first FGC member to be on MTV cribs? huehue

ltalia90 said on February 2, 2014 at 1:45 p.m.

Daigo is so dreamy.

perfume said on February 2, 2014 at 1:45 p.m.

FakeVariable said on February 2, 2014 at 1:51 p.m.

Is that actually Daigo's place that he games at? A few years ago I remember Daigo saying that he played at his friend's place or that he has a place with his friend that he played at, hence the reason he wasn't the only person that used the gameinn gamertag

perfume said on February 2, 2014 at 1:54 p.m.

JIHADJOE said on February 2, 2014 at 1:58 p.m.

CRT FTW.
Even the fastest LCDs still have a little bit of lag; CRTs have none.

mercurian said on February 2, 2014 at 1:58 p.m.

Daigo Space Jam? make it happen

mercurian said on February 2, 2014 at 2 p.m.

so you become a rabid anti-fanboy?

its a waste of time imo.

d-riders gonna d-ride

Gotomaster said on February 2, 2014 at 2 p.m.

He is a Sf legend, not limited to Sf4. Many players we know today got motivated by moment 37 to become professional gamers. If that isn't the accomplishments of a legend, I don't know what is. The fact that you only claim he is a Sf4 legend just proves your own ignorance to Daigo's accomplishments. He was

Gotomaster said on February 2, 2014 at 2:03 p.m.

Eventhubs, pls do us all a favor and ban perfume. Feels as though everyone's IQ diminishes with every comment he writes.

HarleyQuinnsaracist said on February 2, 2014 at 2:06 p.m.

Gotomaster said on February 2, 2014 at 2:10 p.m.

Well, coming to a Daigo article, and insulting his fans for, you know, praising him, not expecting any backlash is equally foolish in itself.

perfume said on February 2, 2014 at 2:16 p.m.

HarleyQuinnsaracist said on February 2, 2014 at 2:26 p.m.

Ryunipotent said on February 2, 2014 at 2:29 p.m.

OhYouDontSayThat said on February 2, 2014 at 2:41 p.m.

I find it pathetic when ppl ask mods to ban someone they don't like... except when I do it! Mods, ban Gotomaster! jk

MANDINGO said on February 2, 2014 at 2:44 p.m.

Toomnyusernae said on February 2, 2014 at 2:44 p.m.

The notion of esports does seem off but I can't help respect this man for trying to change perceptions. It's so easy to just say no, dumb idea, let's move on compared to, let's change the way things are. I hope he achieves his goal and dreams.

Existent said on February 2, 2014 at 2:47 p.m.

Show me the post where I insulted anyone for anything. Go ahead and put it in quotes. I'll wait.

anthonygamer said on February 2, 2014 at 2:50 p.m.

Haters are "dickriders" as well. They love to talk about the people they hate. Over and over again. You hate fanboys and you will dickride them every chance you get. lol

MANDINGO said on February 2, 2014 at 2:56 p.m.

arcadifvid said on February 2, 2014 at 2:57 p.m.

he has a famicom. hahaha curious to know what he plays on the famicom. bootleg SF2 games?

MANDINGO said on February 2, 2014 at 2:57 p.m.

Existent said on February 2, 2014 at 2:57 p.m.

*EDIT*
I realized that you were probably referring to perfume.
Comment redacted.

Devrae said on February 2, 2014 at 3:09 p.m.

Fan boys/favoritism

I don't get whats the big deal? My buddies and fans of my local hockey team are always partially blindsided. They just call foul every time on a 50/50 calls from the ref's. I mean every fan of any sport will always favor their home team in a way.

By your logic, every fan of any professional sport are "dickriders"??? I just don't see a point in stating this when it applies to generally any other player or professional sports.

I think MJ is the best basketball player ever, but I don't go over to LeBron James or Kobe's fan sites and tell them otherwise. Its just pointless to me.

perfume said on February 2, 2014 at 3:53 p.m.

Blackoshinomi said on February 2, 2014 at 4:11 p.m.

In my opinions !

@ Gotomaster

I just feel like

.kuroda
.T.M
.RX
.YSB
.Mimora
.KSK
.Sugiyama
.KSK
.MOV

Are the legends of 3rd. strike !

He famous for evo moment uhh yea ! But those guys are famous for 3rd strike !

Daigo is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more successful in sf4 !

jimmyeatsquaids said on February 2, 2014 at 4:15 p.m.

1. what exactly makes you think video games aren't qualified to be regarded a serious sport?

2. I have to wonder why you feel the urge to comment about fanboys,especially when you say yourself that daigo is an amazing player? your comment just sounds like you're trying to get attention by striving against the stream...and if that's not the case then what is it that you're trying to point out? daigo seems to be living a reasonable life that he organizes in a way most people find inspirational.

I guess getting inspired by someone is bad thing nowadays.

Sage_Liebert said on February 2, 2014 at 4:21 p.m.

Everyone knows daigo has "fanboys". There was no need for him to mention that. There was no arguments in the comments until he chose to stir things up with his. Would fanboy arguments have still happened? probably, but why be the initiator?

Existent said on February 2, 2014 at 4:40 p.m.

I agree. My only point has been that he never insulted Daigo personally, and later that some people here are very sensitive, suggested by myself being downvoted when I mentioned the former point.

SelamatPagi said on February 2, 2014 at 4:52 p.m.

Hahaha I could not stop laughing here. On streams where you hear commentators saying, 'Daigo's been working out!', I was expecting something more.

Load more comments