Tournament results database, player profiles and ratings, match logs and more - EventHubs Tournament & Player Database coming in the future

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • February 1, 2014 at 8:15 p.m. PST

Today we're taking a bit of a different approach, and instead of announcing a project when we're almost ready for beta testing, we're talking about it during it's very early development phase.

We've been planning a tournament and player database since the early days of EventHubs, but we've finally built enough pieces of the puzzle to make it a reality, and we're pleased to announce that this project is in development now.

Here's what you can expect in the future.

• Profile pages for all of the major players in the FGC.
• Ratings for all players, for all tournament fighting games.
• A breakdown of accomplishments.
• Player vs. history. E.g. you can look up what Justin Wong's record is against Daigo, or anyone else in the database.
• Overall win/loss records.
• Win/loss records when using various characters.
• Character usage breakdowns, by player.
• More we'll be announcing in the future.

The reason we're announcing this now is to try and get our readers involved in the process, as your feedback, even on coming up with the name of the new area could be very helpful.

Hit the jump to read more.

As this project is still very early in development, we won't be rolling it out for quite some time. We're still finishing the tiers area of the website, and we have an unannounced project we'll be revealing in the reasonably near future that should turn quite a few heads as well.

What we're looking for at this time is the feature set and things you'd like to see in this section. Right now, we're calling it the Tournament and Player Database page, which lacks pizazz as far as a catchy name goes, so we could even use help finding the proper title for the area.

If you're wanting to know what you can expect to see, please take some time to look at our Fight Tracker, Stats and Tiers pages to get an idea of what we're capable of building.

We'll have more news in the future as this project nears its early testing phases, as it's still a very long ways off, but please leave your comments with suggestions and ideas below on what you'd like to see.

Comments

gigantor21 said on February 1, 2014 at 8:21 p.m.

Wow, that sounds awesome. Can't wait.

sarif2soon said on February 1, 2014 at 8:21 p.m.

*Slow clap*

I love you EventHubs. Always something new.

TaurusMAGNUS said on February 1, 2014 at 8:23 p.m.

For a name, how is "The Battle Room"? No? Okay... :(

beast_gief said on February 1, 2014 at 8:24 p.m.

FGC community is way too small, amateur, and unorganized for anything like this to work. Tourneys are run haphazardly with no online brackets usually.

Starcraft has "liquipedia" and it's done perfectly, but that is from the collaboration of hundreds to thousands of people. There just won't be enough help or interest to get this thing up and running. Doubt it will ever come to fruition.

ShinzoBishamon said on February 1, 2014 at 8:25 p.m.

I hope this will be for more than just capcom games

Catalyst said on February 1, 2014 at 8:25 p.m.

I'll take that bet, BTW. How much are you willing to wager? I'm willing to put down a lot of money as an FYI. ;)

Catalyst said on February 1, 2014 at 8:26 p.m.

It will be. All of the major features we've done recently, stats, Fight Tracker and soon to be tiers have covered the major FGC games, outside of Capcom's.

This will too.

ShinzoBishamon said on February 1, 2014 at 8:27 p.m.

So its impossible for the community, or people in the community to try and help it be more organized? Or are you trying to say they just shouldn't attempt this?

ShinzoBishamon said on February 1, 2014 at 8:29 p.m.

good to hear, and I hope you possibly reach out to some of the people on EH and other top players who pay attention to certain scenes more closely, so this "archive" can be more complete. :)

xShonuffx said on February 1, 2014 at 8:37 p.m.

This is great, I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time. You should also get players profile pics as well as a bit of info about them where they from, where they play. Also another cool idea is to have a page that links characters of a game in majors to players. So if I want Rufus matches it will pull all pro players that use him and maybe with match videos.

ShinzoBishamon said on February 1, 2014 at 8:42 p.m.

they could also work with the guy that runs and does the FGC player cards on twitter

Catalyst said on February 1, 2014 at 8:46 p.m.

Info about where they're located, a photo and other details will be included. Match videos are outside of the scope of this particular project, though.

Dimensional said on February 1, 2014 at 8:53 p.m.

sounds ambitious and awesome. I look forward to seeing it.

Shingekidre said on February 1, 2014 at 9:15 p.m.

You should call it, Fgc Battle channel

Memanruler said on February 1, 2014 at 9:18 p.m.

Now this is cool.

Like, this is seriously some organization that the FGC benefits from. Makes us look more professional and it gives the new guys something reference to. Looking forward to seeing what this will bring to the table.

Smorgasboard said on February 1, 2014 at 9:21 p.m.

So, Eventhubs is setting up a liquidpedia for fighting games. It's something I always wanted for fighting games.

I imagine the work would be many folds harder though since there are a lot more games, divided into many smaller communities, not many people who are into building wikis, decentralised tournaments and etc.

Still, I applaud the effort.

Gotomaster said on February 1, 2014 at 9:24 p.m.

That's like telling someone overweight they won't lose weight if they start dieting, and exercising. Of course we can, if we take initiative. It will take a while, but we need to work together.

TagAnarchy said on February 1, 2014 at 9:28 p.m.

I'd be down for devoting my time to this project. Everybody knows we could do with some more organization in the FGC.

Memanruler said on February 1, 2014 at 9:45 p.m.

Once upon a time, Starcraft was small too.

Everything starts in Grass-roots. It's up to the community to get this stuff running. And if there is any community that is dedicated to make this happen, it's the FGC.

TagAnarchy said on February 1, 2014 at 10:26 p.m.

Recommendation: We shouldn't try and document everything from the beginning. It would be a tad archaic with that and honestly be a bit more trouble than necessary, at least in my mind.

After figuring out the entire layout, we should set a specific date to start gathering data and from that point forward we implement the data from that date forward, not back.

Some might say "What about the old titles that people got in years past?". They're still important, but if they really are worth the mettle they received in the past they can still receive placements in the future. From a recording standpoint, that would also be a god awful hard thing to do for the amount of people in the FGC. It's doable, but to start we should work forward instead of looking back.

I'm going to sub soon because this rather interests me and I'd be glad to help out in any way.

Wintry said on February 1, 2014 at 10:59 p.m.

Can I suggest the probably already thought of name, Tournament Hub?

Catalyst said on February 1, 2014 at 11:05 p.m.

FYI, reading all of your suggestions everyone, just not responding to everything.

Thanks for the name suggestions too, I like some of them. Creative and fun, good stuff.

Kudos.

SnakeX said on February 2, 2014 at 12:19 a.m.

This site's constant growth really is impressive. Keep up the great work as usual Catalyst and the rest of the EH crew! :)

Shingekidre said on February 2, 2014 at 12:19 a.m.

Listen bro, If u want to troll thats fine but dont come in here and talk about our community like you know stuff. You have no clue how much hard work These guys at Ehubs do. They cover every major fgc story you can think of. All without ridiculous sponsors that help those big pc games. They do it old school classic hard work and I support them 100%. So watch your mouth when it comes to our community we get stronger and stronger day by day. And This project will be successful.

CaptainPlanet said on February 2, 2014 at 12:55 a.m.

FGP Fighting Game Players? Anyway I'm really looking forward to this part of the site.

Ascender said on February 2, 2014 at 1:09 a.m.

I wish that Event hubs would get more respect when mentioned on streams. Every time I recommend event hubs to someone on a stream every gets butt hurt and call it all sorts of crap. Someone said on a stream that the site is a bunch of rumor mills.

I just hope that the tier list system and this new system will get event hubs the respect of deserves for all it does for the community.

ProfessorLester said on February 2, 2014 at 2:15 a.m.

Damn that's a lot of work

Vandylizer said on February 2, 2014 at 2:16 a.m.

Wow, you guys are really going above and beyond! Hope you guys don't stretch yourselves too thin, but then again you've got a great track record so far. Keep up the good work, EH! :D

devilcuco said on February 2, 2014 at 3:53 a.m.

Awesome, this is really the data i care about, not the subjective tier list. Keep the great work up!

ycz6 said on February 2, 2014 at 6:46 a.m.

So you guys are trying to turn this site into some kind of hub for events in the FGC?

Splack said on February 2, 2014 at 7:03 a.m.

I see wut u did thar.

xShonuffx said on February 2, 2014 at 7:29 a.m.

Its too bad you can't use Fighterpedia since its already being used on Youtube.

how about The Wiki-Warriors page? that sounds catchy.

VolcanicAkuma55 said on February 2, 2014 at 10:18 a.m.

ur optimism gives me hope for the future...lol gtfoh

Maxoplata said on February 2, 2014 at 11:41 a.m.

Hmmmm, sounds a lot like a site I emailed you about over a year ago...

Jalenp69 said on February 2, 2014 at 12:40 p.m.

Brought here by you ^

I_Are_RaBBiT said on February 2, 2014 at 1:32 p.m.

EH putting in WORK!!!! Nuff respect guys!

Catalyst said on February 2, 2014 at 3:11 p.m.

I'll just copy and paste what I wrote on the Reddit thread, where you accused us of stealing your idea and made a script to spite us.

You wrote us back in Dec. of 2012 with your idea, and I wrote this back to you.

"Just as an FYI, we have something very similar in the works we'll be rolling out in the reasonably near future. It will become a part of our Fight Tracker and Stats pages."

You never responded.

You can see we've launched our Fight Tracker and Stats pages now, and are currently working on tiers, and in the story I wrote yesterday, I mentioned...

"We've been planning a tournament and player database since the early days of EventHubs, but we've finally built enough pieces of the puzzle to make it a reality,"

We've been building MANY pieces, some interoperable, some very similar, so we can start work on the player/tournament database. I mentioned as much in my story, and in my original response to you.

You can argue you had this idea first or whatever, but I had this idea since the very early days of EventHubs, a site I started clear back in 2007, and have been running ever since.

Funny thing, I had this idea to create these HUBS on the site that had different details about EVENTS, which had a breakdown of what happened, the people there, stats, etc. I figured I'd call the damn thing EventHubs.

What a concept, eh? This was eventually going to be a general site for a lot of things, but I had friends in the FGC and wanted to start there. I did, but we never ended up going outside of the FGC, because this was where my passion was.

So, yeah, this was obviously your very original idea that no one else had ever thought of, ever. Except for Team Liquid (Liquidpedia), and a bunch other websites, including ours.

I honestly don't know when you came up with the concept, maybe it was before 2007, maybe it was after, but you claiming we ripped this idea off from you is complete and total bs.

Maxoplata said on February 2, 2014 at 6:59 p.m.

Mhmm, I totally believe it has taken you over 14 months to do what I did in a month in my free time. Along with ideas that were implemented well after I contacted you. Because EH has never been known for ripping other people off... *cough*sonichurricaine*cough*

We can talk about it at SCR...

Catalyst said on February 2, 2014 at 7:34 p.m.

I see there's no convincing you. That's fine, you can think what you want.

Don't let facts or common sense stand in your way.

Struggs said on February 2, 2014 at 7:37 p.m.

That took you 14 months? Your site is pathetic and so are your complaints. Get a life.

Maxoplata said on February 2, 2014 at 7:55 p.m.

Congratulations on your phenomenal ability to read, lmao. Try re-reading instead of looking like the exact kind of user that gives EventHubs the "EventScrubs" rep that it has...

Catalyst said on February 2, 2014 at 10 p.m.

For the record, I just sent Maxoplata some screen shots of chat logs I had with other EHubs team members which prove we had this idea before he sent it in.

Sheesh.

BrightNoa said on February 3, 2014 at 11:32 a.m.

The fail is strong in you. I suggest killing yourself.

BlackMasamune said on February 3, 2014 at 11:51 a.m.

My concern is that preference will be given to Capcom related stats. Or do you have a system in place to make sure all games are covered equally?