Sakurai has no plans to balance Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS further, outside of fixes to improve online experience

Posted by Cheng Kai 'KarbyP' Sim • December 14, 2014 at 1:12 p.m. PST

Looks like the Ver. 1.0.4 patch for Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS will be the final update in which major gameplay balance tweaks are made.

In an interview with Famitsu magazine this week, Sakurai has said that he has no plans to balance or update the game further, other than providing fixes for a few things associated with the online play experience.

He did mention, however, that if there are any glaring issues with the characters' customize parts or moves, the development team would address them too -- but only if necessary.

Click image for larger version

Hit the jump to read a translation of the questions (with regards to balancing) posed to Sakurai, and his responses in Famitsu magazine.

---In the future, do you plan on adjusting or balancing the game further through a patch?

Sakurai: We don't have any such plans, but at the very least we will be working on a few things connected to the online play experience, bit by bit.

If we were to do something like tweak characters' customized special moves, then there'd be no end to it. But with that said, if there are any glaring issues, we may address them.

---That's because with customized special moves or items, you can only play with them enabled online with players who are in your friends list, isn't that right?

Sakura: When playing with your personal friends, I think it's probably more interesting that you can almost cheat a little through customizing your character. *Laughs*

Question from the editor: Do you feel that the current balance in Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS is fine without needing future balance patches?

Source: Famitsu via SmashBros Matome.

Comments

AwakenedWithin said on December 14, 2014 at 1:15 p.m.

Sakura? Or Sakurai?

KakkoiBurubely said on December 14, 2014 at 1:16 p.m.

TOP KEK TYPOS HAHAHAHAHA

Owlflame said on December 14, 2014 at 1:17 p.m.

Damnit! Stop saying "Don't worry, we'll stop doing that thing that EVERYONE WANTS ME TO DO!"

Psycho said on December 14, 2014 at 1:19 p.m.

"Sakura". The SFV hype is too real.

warriorman222 said on December 14, 2014 at 1:20 p.m.

Wait for the sodium to pour in to the comments section.

But really guys, patching a game is hard. I can guarantee that.

COREY_1993 said on December 14, 2014 at 1:23 p.m.

BaroqueObama said on December 14, 2014 at 1:24 p.m.

CURSE YOU SAKURA

Shinkutatsumaki said on December 14, 2014 at 1:24 p.m.

Low blow Sakurai. What if we get another meta knight?

nightmaresteam said on December 14, 2014 at 1:24 p.m.

Sakura confirmed for Smash Bros.

floorwalker said on December 14, 2014 at 1:25 p.m.

The only thing to fix is Diddy's up air knockback, overall the game is fine, every character feels strong.

HmpLghtng said on December 14, 2014 at 1:38 p.m.

Go back to school Sakura

KarbyP said on December 14, 2014 at 1:47 p.m.

Oh oops did I just accidentally leak the next character that will be revealed for SFV? :3

EvilPunisherll said on December 14, 2014 at 1:59 p.m.
jme said on December 14, 2014 at 2:06 p.m.

I recognize and respect smash as a fighting game and a competitive one at that, but I could never care about balance patches since I would always play it for fun and nothing more.

I mean I play other fighting games for fun as well but I also like to get better at them. Smash I don't have that drive to get better for some reason.

God_Demon said on December 14, 2014 at 2:11 p.m.
God_Demon said on December 14, 2014 at 2:11 p.m.
SummerUndercover said on December 14, 2014 at 2:12 p.m.

Unless something is insanely broken, then I agree with his sentiment. It's sad that companies release a game expecting to make countless changes to how the characters play. I don't want to say it's a matter of laziness, because it takes effort to make thoughtful changes, but eh, I'm sure some of you can understand what I'm getting at.

jme said on December 14, 2014 at 2:17 p.m.

That's not true at all. It is a fighting game.

I love to play Persona 4, but I don't care about getting better in that game either. So yeah, that BS you said isn't just.....BS

bagelsfadayz said on December 14, 2014 at 2:25 p.m.
KCereal said on December 14, 2014 at 2:47 p.m.

Bruh, can someone put him in an animal cage.

halodork said on December 14, 2014 at 2:55 p.m.

LOL

ShakeTheWorm said on December 14, 2014 at 2:56 p.m.

MELEE : 10 MORE YEARS.

Thank you, Diddy.

CheeseCakez said on December 14, 2014 at 2:58 p.m.

I really love corn dogs.

Solar said on December 14, 2014 at 3:12 p.m.

eh thats fine

Paradonyx said on December 14, 2014 at 3:18 p.m.

Doesn't really bother me, although I do foresee Diddy taking 1st place at tons of tourneys. He's already on a roll.

Not that he needs to be fixed Sakurai, just... Keep an eye on him.

Devdan said on December 14, 2014 at 3:19 p.m.

I'm torn. On one hand, I really really really hate balance patches for no reason. On the other hand, Diddy Kong is looking OP at the moment, and I kind of hate Diddy Kong and don't want him to be the 3S Chun-Li of Smash 4. Meh, I won't play the game competitively either way, so I guess it doesn't matter that much for me.

Razy said on December 14, 2014 at 3:21 p.m.

Championship_Edition said on December 14, 2014 at 3:24 p.m.

Sounds fine. The fundamentals of Smash 4 are already better than Brawl, and chain grab issues are finally over and done with. All that's really needed is potential patches to fix totally broken stuff as it's discovered, to prevent the advent of something like a Brawl Metaknight.

KarbyP said on December 14, 2014 at 3:35 p.m.

I wished Nintendo made a HD + online enabled version of Melee for Wii U.

Sunforged_One said on December 14, 2014 at 3:37 p.m.

At this moment it is much too early to talk about a balance patch, I think.
But I guess in the future it would be nice if there would be one.

darkneji said on December 14, 2014 at 3:45 p.m.

I'm actually on board with this decision.

DataSora said on December 14, 2014 at 3:50 p.m.

A Balance Patch isn't needed right now, It takes some time to players spot some Characters Balancing Issues in order to have another patch

(But I wouldn't mind with some Reduction on the Lag of Palutena's Start and End Attack Animation T.T)

God_Demon said on December 14, 2014 at 3:51 p.m.
Paradonyx said on December 14, 2014 at 4 p.m.

Start and end? Which move, exactly?

JRXP2011 said on December 14, 2014 at 4:04 p.m.
EnsignHiro said on December 14, 2014 at 4:17 p.m.

Good leave balance alone. Nothing worse then seeing constant balance changes on a single title just to learn what you used to do is no longer possible anymore.

danistheman said on December 14, 2014 at 4:19 p.m.

Looks like Diddy Kong will destroy dreams forever now.

danistheman said on December 14, 2014 at 4:21 p.m.

100% it is a fighting game. There is no debating it.

peacepilgrim said on December 14, 2014 at 4:40 p.m.

Article isn't even fully translated yet. Eventhubs just trying to get those clicks with that sensationalistic title.

They even bring up Diddy's brokenness later in the article, and that it is an issue they will work on; i am pretty sure this is a mistranslation about balancing CUSTOM moves, not forgoing patch balancing completely.

KCereal said on December 14, 2014 at 5:04 p.m.

You're only one person with an opinion. Get over it.

unseenpotential01 said on December 14, 2014 at 5:17 p.m.

Lol there's something wrong with you....

Anyway, as long as link can finally drop bombs without tossing out a tether at the same time. I'm cool.

himura said on December 14, 2014 at 5:30 p.m.

SSB never rebalanced comepletely F9989 up game forever confirmed!!

awesome

himura said on December 14, 2014 at 5:31 p.m.

agree, although lets see for how long

StellarSTLR said on December 14, 2014 at 5:42 p.m.

So Diddy Kong solidifies his position at top tier

HooliganComboFTW said on December 14, 2014 at 5:45 p.m.

Of course he wouldn't focus on gameplay balance considering he straight up said it's not a fighting games from his perspective.

Paradonyx said on December 14, 2014 at 6:08 p.m.

Right because 10+ years isn't enough?

tktktk43 said on December 14, 2014 at 6:25 p.m.

They nerf Roselina to crap and she'll probably stat like that now that Sakurai made it clear.

warriorman222 said on December 14, 2014 at 6:30 p.m.

Rosalina isn't crap. She's still really good, and If Sakurai was trying to still make everyone middle tier she'd be nerfed again, albeit slightly.

warriorman222 said on December 14, 2014 at 6:43 p.m.

Mistranslation.

MarthFE said on December 14, 2014 at 8:29 p.m.

I would disagree. Definitely not top 10, she's a mid tier character at best now... Which is completely ok!

The only thing that worries me is the diddys will increase even more now and banana, DThrow, UAir UAir might end up being the only thing we see since neither of the moves will be adjusted.
There's a pretty solid top 5 and diddy isn't broken or anything, but he's obviously better than the rest of the cast.

SmokeRulz said on December 14, 2014 at 9:40 p.m.

Meh, whatever. No need to shatter the game over and over by rebalancing it. General opinion among big-time competitive Smash players is that the game is surprisingly well-balanced as it is.

But like he said, if any players find any glaring issues, they'll get patched. So if we somehow develop something like Brawl Metaknight, I bet they'll address it. Otherwise, we got a good game guys.

Smorgasboard said on December 14, 2014 at 9:45 p.m.

Sakurai doesn't cater to the competitive community. Never did and never will.

Kijui said on December 14, 2014 at 10:01 p.m.

This game could use some serious patching... There are some MUs in this game that are completely unfair and its due to how the game registers certain things like how Dedede's Up smash whiffs in characters who land with the nerfed air dodge recovery or a Standing Kirby! Another issue I've come across is hitbox and htstun appropriation, characters with multi-hitting techniques, Koopa Kid in particular, can fail at having all the hits register, allowing them to get their butt kicked for free. I've lost a crap load of matches because of situations where my up smash, side smash, down tilt, dash attack, Dair, up b follow up, mecha koopa follow up didn't connect properly, making me lose because of something out of my control. Like I've literally had the tables turned on me because I was either too close or too far for all the hits to connect... Smash has never had this kind of issue for me ever before, until this one...

I hope Sakurai will reconsider, because its difficult trying to fight someone AND fight the game at the same time.

RYU81 said on December 14, 2014 at 10:29 p.m.
ness64 said on December 14, 2014 at 11:41 p.m.

Don't forget Ness vs Rosalina. It is extremely hard, I would even say almost impossible for Ness to win.

bagel_bytez said on December 15, 2014 at 12:57 a.m.

Incase anyone was wondering, this is not some sort of "troll" account of mine. No relation.

himura said on December 15, 2014 at 2:09 a.m.

i seriously dont get it....

Skaz9000 said on December 15, 2014 at 4:30 a.m.

Smash doesn't need constant balance tweaking. Melee might not have been balanced, but it maintained a community for a long time anyways. Brawl ... could have used a balance patch, but the far bigger issue was the core engine, which was hopeless in expecting a change.

But Smash 4 feels really good. The most balanced of the 3 mentioned in this post anyways. The tiers are still fluctuating quite a bit, but I think it will still be much closer in the end than the other Smash games. Let's let them work on other things like DLC, or perhaps that rumor-leak of SSB6 from a while back.

shambles said on December 15, 2014 at 7:09 a.m.

This is pathetic... a lot of you guys don't even deserve to be heard.

Owlflame said on December 15, 2014 at 8 a.m.

While I may not consider it a fighting game. I do still consider it a competitive game. One that you can very easily improve and better yourself at.

CammysAss said on December 15, 2014 at 9:04 a.m.

looks like king diddy is here to stay folks

Armagod said on December 16, 2014 at 6:43 a.m.

It seems they are indeed looking into Diddy Kong though. While I do enjoy playing him, his new incarnation just feels a tad to.. unfun? Don't get me wrong he is still fun as all heck. But when you can win with simple short hop resets and wave dashes, it just sucks the fun out of it. I had to default to my secondary main: Captain Fabulous to actually be entertained by online battles and brawls with my friends. All in all the game is fun, but minor tweaks would definitely be lovely to see.

alexander1258 said on December 25, 2014 at 3:04 a.m.

so, he really doesn't want to change anything on lucina and dark pit?. WTF sakurai?!?!

alexander1258 said on December 25, 2014 at 3:06 a.m.

i suppose they didn't say anything about clone characters or improving them. right?

elnelsonbrow said on March 9, 2016 at 2:06 a.m.

thankyou sakurai that's the best desicion , the pro players (like me) ho play ssb64, ssbmelee ,street fighter etc. etc. an we become profesionals(with no patches) are so happy,, now noobs have to learn how to play and stop cryng all the time¡¡ buu buu wa wa that character it's to OP bu bu wa wa wa!! any way, im going to kick youre ass with youre own character or whith any other,so stop CRYNG

elnelsonbrow said on March 9, 2016 at 2:14 a.m.

amen bro