Harada: Pokken Tournament won't feature high/low mix-ups or Tekken guest characters as it's a completely different game

Posted by Cheng Kai 'KarbyP' Sim • August 26, 2014 at 11:15 a.m. PDT

Shortly after his appearance on the Pokken Tournament announcement livestream earlier today, Bandai Namco Games's Katsuhiro Harada took to Twitter to respond to fans' questions and messages.

In his responses to these questions, Harada addressed a number of notable things that I'm sure a good many of us were left wondering about ever since news of the game's announcement broke earlier this morning.

Things such as whether or not there would be Tekken guest characters appearing in Pokken Tournament, or if non-humanoid or non-fighting-type Pokemon would enter the roster as playable characters.

Find out the answer to those questions, and more in our translation of the prompt Q&A on Twitter.

---Is it true that Tekken characters [will] be making guest appearances in Pokemon/Pokken Tournament?

Harada: Ha, ha, ha. Nope, Tekken characters will not be making an appearance.

As we're making a Pokemon fighting action battle game, I've already touched on this while on the livestream, but in this game there will not be a high/mid/low guard system mechanic. Instead, we're planning to include a new type of [mechanic]...

---As it's a fighting game, I'm a little worried that the roster will be full of humanoid-looking Pokemons (TL note: Pokemans?). I'd rather be surprised with unexpected picks instead.

Harada: That's not a problem at all. Technologically-speaking, we shouldn't face any problems in implementing whatever Pokemon we want. In terms of the system mechanics, we'll be looking at what fans would want, so please rest assured.

---Will Harada-san be making an appearance in the game, as "Harada The Strongest Gym Leader"?

Harada: Well, (laughs) if we did that we'll probably piss off Pokemon fans (but you already knew that, right?!).

---Congrats on making Pokken a reality! And thank you for that! Rather than tweet you a request, today I've got a bit of a query: in Pokken Tournament it seems like Pokemon trainers do not exist? It's not that I'm requesting for them to make an appearance, but rather I'd just like to find out if that's the case.

Harada: Worry not.

---You remembered to bring out Pokken, but what about Tekken X Street Fighter?

Harada: I've said this before, but we're still making it. It's just that it's too difficult to nail down a release timing for it at the moment, so we're changed our strategy for it.

Not having a high/low mix-up game makes sense for a game like Pokken Tournament, which is trying to appeal to mainstream gamers and Pokemon fans on top of us core fighting gamers.

It also makes a lot of sense if we are to presume that the development team plans on including smaller-sized Pokemons like Jigglypuff. Having a high/mid/low guard system could potentially cause problems -- the same sort that has prevented Jubei from being made playable in the BlazBlue series.

But let's not forget that in lieu of high/low mix-ups there will be another type of system that will likely provide for a different sort of mix-up game. All this means is that Pokken Tournament will be a very different sort of fighting game from the ones we're used to -- just like Super Smash Bros., in a way.

There's really a lot to take away here, but personally I'm most intrigued about what sort of new system mechanic the development team at Bandai Namco Games will think up for Pokken Tournament, if they're not planning on including the high/mid/low mix-up game that's been a staple of fighting games.

Since this is a Pokemon game that we're talking about, after all, could the new system mechanic have something to do with type-based attacks that deal different amounts of damage depending on the Pokemon opponent? Imagine what that would do to the game's match-ups.

What do you guys think? If you were involved in the development process of Pokken Tournament, what sort of mechanics would you want to implement into the game?

Source: @harada_tekken

Comments

NyuBomber said on August 26, 2014 at 11:21 a.m.

TxSF was clearly going to be the one in longer development out of the two. In concept, bringing Tekken to SF's way of things is not a big deal. Other way around, not so much, if you want to retain the feel/spirit of SF.

In the mean time ,I'm open to giving Pokken a try, even if it's not going to be mainstaging Evo.

What I am DEMANDING is ALAKAZAM AS A ZONER, SCREW YOU FIGHTING TYPES.

F_Groove said on August 26, 2014 at 11:23 a.m.

So no high/low game?

Man, I was hype as hell like an hour ago, and then this happens. :/

RedRapperSux said on August 26, 2014 at 11:25 a.m.

Don't you know that getting hyped in this day and age usually leads to disappointment? Bummer.

Paradonyx said on August 26, 2014 at 11:26 a.m.

Well, if they're not limiting it to humanoid pokemon(which is awesome), then I'm REALLY hoping for Meganium, my favorite starter.

Goldsaint said on August 26, 2014 at 11:28 a.m.

so this is not planned to be competitive :/

God_Demon said on August 26, 2014 at 11:32 a.m.

Built for casual scrubs. I'll pass. OMEGA RUBY AND ALPHA SAPPHIRE FTW

zakk219 said on August 26, 2014 at 11:33 a.m.

Thank you for actually being reasonable and not complaining that Tekken x Street Fighter isn't out yet. People don't seem to understand how difficult it is to bring the Street Fighter characters over to that gameplay style.

bagel_bytez said on August 26, 2014 at 11:35 a.m.

. I believe they said the new smash isn't being designed for the competitive scene but I'd bet every dollar I have it will be. Although this may just fall into tht weird DBZ fighter area... Without high/low mixups and a 'new mechanic'. It could be revolutionary and the future of fighting games... But it's probably just some super dumbed down low technical abaility noob friendly thing. Obviously this game is aged at like, ages 5 and up or something. Cool consept but even with the backing it has I think this will be a 15 mins of fame game and then disappear into the darkness. Pokemon fans may stick with it but I doubt fgc will.

unseenpotential01 said on August 26, 2014 at 11:37 a.m.

Would be too broken for high, low mechanics with some characters. I can imagine hypno or some mini sized Pokemon with a broken low or high u can't see cuz their flipping limbs are too small or something.

New mechanics would be pretty interesting. Maybe I can finally play a Pokemon game where dodging or missing attacks isn't just a random fluke :)

Goldsaint said on August 26, 2014 at 11:37 a.m.

it would be cool if you could choose the nature and maybe the ability of the pokemon like in the pokemon games, choose adamant for more attack or bold for more defense etc, customization in this kind of things would be awesome.

CRUZ said on August 26, 2014 at 11:41 a.m.

A game for kids, like it should be!

mcknight8279109 said on August 26, 2014 at 11:44 a.m.

The banner game is too skrong

KarbyP said on August 26, 2014 at 11:48 a.m.

XD

sarif2soon said on August 26, 2014 at 11:49 a.m.

"ALAKA fire."
"ALAKA flame."
"ALAKATASTROPHE".

I wonder if they'll incorporate type charts into this and give specials/Supers types and have different effectiveness depending on the opponent.

A zoner Psychic-type would probably be OP.

Goldsaint said on August 26, 2014 at 12:04 p.m.

who played pokemon type wild ?
i still play it

DarkPhoenixRises said on August 26, 2014 at 12:05 p.m.

Liked because I totally agree, it's pokemon, every single fighting game in the world is not going to be built the way street fighter 4 is and I certainly wasn't expecting a hardcore pokemon fighting game lol

hozukimaru said on August 26, 2014 at 12:05 p.m.

Thank God! I see some people complaining about there being no high/low, but thats a good thing. I cant imagine fighting someone like jiggly puff with those mechanics, it would be Soul Calibur Yoda again.

genocideSX said on August 26, 2014 at 12:13 p.m.

i think I've said this before but, I'm happy that they are taking there time with TxSF, really i am. in fact take as much time as you need to in order to make this a great game. but i want to see SOMETHING. I'm not even asking for gameplay, i just want SOMETHING, a trailer would be real nice :/

maybe even a series of trailers :P (getting my hopes up)

at least he has said that its still in production. at least i can somewhat rest on that lol but i feel as if they are somewhat leaving us in the dark.

but on another note i didn't even know that pokemon was getting this type of game, that pretty awesome

Stee1_Legend said on August 26, 2014 at 12:16 p.m.

It's people like you that are the reason it is coming out in the arcade and not on the Wii U so they can get valid feedback from true fighting game players and not illogical cries from an unintelligent fan.

sarif2soon said on August 26, 2014 at 12:36 p.m.

Talonflame's Super would be Gale Wings: All aerial moves become 0-frame.
Kappa

wallie said on August 26, 2014 at 12:41 p.m.

Could not agree more. There is a reason that Tekken 7 is being developed for Ps4, Xbone, and PC. Tekken 7 made for competitive play. Pokken made for the casual audience, and hey here is the silver lining. People who play Pokken and enjoy it might gravitate toward Tekken or SF.

Truegamer said on August 26, 2014 at 12:46 p.m.

An Arcade Port seems like the right move at the moment.

But when gamers ask for home console versions it's gonna be a Wii U exclusive, and that's when gamers are at a stand still. It won't catch on because it's not on specific consoles that gamers take sides for, I'm for all consoles but exclusive content on specific consoles is like a giant middle finger to all gamers.

Nintendo' business practices have been very selfish within these past years. Especially to the Smash community, trying to pull the tournament from Smash Bros Melee all together instead of embracing the community. We all know what happened when we all heard the news, 3 hours on twitter Nintendo was trending...

And Youtube. Taxing your gamers from sharing Nintendo games...for the soul purpose of Nickel and Diming.

I don't want to condemn a game just yet.
But the taint of Nintendo is too strong for me to consider supporting this game.

Pachendrix said on August 26, 2014 at 12:48 p.m.

In other words, TxSF will continue to delay until it gets canceled and vanished to oblivion. And this "Pokken" is nothing more than another disgusting DBZ/Naruto styled fighter. Seriously with DBZ and Pokemon (even tough I'm no fan of the latter), they have the opportunity of a lifetime to make an amazing fighting game. Why waste our time with this casual gamers bs? "But dude, they're making tons of money, and sell very good". IDGAF! This is an FGC forum, and I voice my opinion based on my FGC mentality, not with a commercial bs mind set (which is the sole reason we've seen so many mediocre fighting games lately: SFxT, Naruto, JoJo's, pretty much all of the DBZ games, with the exception of Hyper DBZ which is fan based anyways, etc. All made with the sole purpose of selling to the masses rather than the main fgc). Of course, they can prove me wrong, which is exactly what I want them to do (even though again, I'm not Pokemon fan), but in the mean time, I'll stay as skeptical as ever, until they prove this game is worth playing because of the fighting style, and not because of the big name.

HooliganComboFTW said on August 26, 2014 at 12:49 p.m.

Game will probably fall into the DBZ/Naruto category in fighters.

maxi2099 said on August 26, 2014 at 12:49 p.m.

No Tekken characters doesn't mean about no Gon in this game.
Also, looking foward about Electrode as a fighter, whould be the most sensible choice of the entire Pokemon cast.

KarbyP said on August 26, 2014 at 12:55 p.m.

Guys, I have a new theory with regards to Pokken Tournament's mechanic.

In Pokemon there's ATK, DEF, and then SP. ATK and SP. DEF, right?

What if all strike moves in the game are classified as either physical or elemental in nature, and there are two types of guards -- one for physical and one for elemental?

So basically,

High Block = Physical Block
Low Block = Elemental Shield

Wouldn't that preserve the high/low mix-up game we're used to, but present it in a way that'd fit Pokken Tournament's world view?

SummerUndercover said on August 26, 2014 at 12:55 p.m.

Well that's disappointing news… But I can't say I'm surprised. Pokémon has always tried to appeal to a very casual crowd. I'm still a fan though.

BlackRain said on August 26, 2014 at 12:56 p.m.

No, but license issues mean no Gon in this game.

Dbarcelona said on August 26, 2014 at 12:57 p.m.

As much as I hate to admit it I bought J-Stars Victory Vs earlier in the year while it was nice there was nothing really outstanding about it.
Looking at this game it kinda has the same vibe even looks like the same engine keep in mind people are talking about how good it looks yet J-Stars Victory Vs looks the same and runs on last gen.
Hopefully its decent is all I ask for

Kijui said on August 26, 2014 at 12:58 p.m.

Wait, wasn't Lars in Naruto Shippuden Storm 2? Wasn't that a different game?

Kijui said on August 26, 2014 at 1:01 p.m.

^stupid phone -_-

FalsoL said on August 26, 2014 at 1:09 p.m.

I am worried about the presence of Pokemon trainers.
I don't want to live in a world where wild Pokemons fight each other.

neogeo_city said on August 26, 2014 at 1:10 p.m.

will this come out on ps2?

jme said on August 26, 2014 at 1:16 p.m.

Hitmonlee will be a divekick character Kappa.

Goldsaint said on August 26, 2014 at 1:16 p.m.

no, Dreamcast exclusive.

xCROOKEDx said on August 26, 2014 at 1:21 p.m.

That sounds like a good idea, actually. Though I think it would need to be button block to work properly (2 buttons; one phys, one elemental).

Liam_Butler said on August 26, 2014 at 1:23 p.m.

FGC expansion, let's goooooooooooo

KarbyP said on August 26, 2014 at 1:27 p.m.

Or just a single block button, to activate the elemental shield.

As long as you do not press any attack buttons or dash or activate the elemental shield, there should be auto-block for physical block just like in Tekken.

JGBpro88 said on August 26, 2014 at 1:28 p.m.

Super Smash Bros wasn´t planned to be competitive either. Lest wait and see

cairndawgy said on August 26, 2014 at 1:31 p.m.

Hi/low game wont work due to ghost type and flying types!in guessing whatever happens we should probably nerf guile!

CyberHyperPhoenix0252 said on August 26, 2014 at 1:42 p.m.

LMAO at all the people saying how getting rid of ONE mechanic will make this game anti- competitive, kids game and a DBZ/Naruto categorized game. Personally i can't wait too see what they have in store when it comes to a new mechanic.
Hopefully the mechanic will be really unique and make the game really competitive.

Its different, not just tekken with Pokemon slapped on it, thats why i'm hype for this game.
#PokkenForEVO2016

HooliganComboFTW said on August 26, 2014 at 1:43 p.m.

Yeah lars was in that one Naruto game because the Naruto mangaka created one of the Lars outfits in Tekken 6. Which makes sense since the guy was very 'anime' for Tekken with the way he fights/looks.
Which was the only Naruto game I ever played.

By saying "DBZ/Naruto" style game I didn't mean anti-competitive considering anything can be competitive just look at games like Divekick and Melee. It DOES mean the game will be less like Tekken and more like those games I mentioned. Honestly getting a J All Stars vibe based on first impression.

kac1010 said on August 26, 2014 at 1:44 p.m.

So defense is just going to be an auto block button? Maybe they'll have a guard meter or something

Yung said on August 26, 2014 at 1:57 p.m.

Does this mean there won't be low attacks and overheads ? Is that what they are saying ? Damn ...

SqueakyBloom said on August 26, 2014 at 2:31 p.m.

I hope that this game and TxSF play differently than TEKKEN itself. Kinda like how MvC, CvS, and SFxT play overall differently than normal Street Fighter games.

Here's to hoping Feraligatr makes it.

AttorneyMayCry said on August 26, 2014 at 2:38 p.m.

"No high/low game"

I hope that there are some other redeeming qualities that makes this an actual Street Fighter/Tekken level of competitive game and not just some button mashing casual game

arcadifvid said on August 26, 2014 at 3:34 p.m.

after this get released, they are going to announce a new Xover game. Tekken X Pokken in development will probably be released in 2017. So Tekken 7, Pokken, Tekken X Pokken, all before Tekken X SF gets released.

.. oh wait I forgot, they wanted TxSF on next gen.. So we'll have to wait for PS5 to get announced first..

bagel_bytez said on August 26, 2014 at 3:34 p.m.

Insightful and agreeable

bagel_bytez said on August 26, 2014 at 3:42 p.m.

Tastes a bit salty in here

Stee1_Legend said on August 26, 2014 at 3:51 p.m.

I hope this does turn into an expansion for the FGC and the general community stops ignoring half the genre. We've got 4 new 3D fighters on the horizon and 2 new 2D fighters thats the best ratio we've had in 15 years.

God_Demon said on August 26, 2014 at 5:08 p.m.

It's illogical to assume from the information that's been given that this will be a casual buttonmasher a la DBZ/Naruto games? I think not.

brandaman69 said on August 26, 2014 at 5:28 p.m.

The problem is that console exclusivity is going to limit some of them.

Stee1_Legend said on August 26, 2014 at 6:11 p.m.

True but thats not an obstacle for the community to over come but whether or not if the publishers will be greedy.

Stee1_Legend said on August 26, 2014 at 6:24 p.m.

Yes it is illogical because there plenty of different possible play styles that havent been done with 3D due to the lack of exploration of that half of the genre. 3D hasn't been explored nearly as much as 2D and by the fact you have more dimensions to work with in 3D it immediately gives you more options.

RunnersKnee said on August 26, 2014 at 6:26 p.m.

Does it have controller support?

RunnersKnee said on August 26, 2014 at 6:32 p.m.

I don't see a problem of Pokken being a "casual/more for the fans of Pokemon and some Tekken" game.
I mean, JoJo's All Star Battle has all the makings of a good balance between a casual, fan-love letter, and competitive game yet it never skyrocketed in the FGC scene which was very very disappointing.
Who's to say the same won't happen for this one?
I'm just glad that finally a pokemon fighting game is in the works that's outside of SSB.
As far as exclusivity, this may be developed by the Tekken team, everything else is owned by Nintendo. Similar case with Bayonetta 2.
Just a little common sense

StriderHiryu said on August 26, 2014 at 8:27 p.m.

Yeah, this is indeed an awesome time for Nintendo fans, myself included.

All I know is, Greninja needs to be part of this game!

Smorgasboard said on August 26, 2014 at 9:05 p.m.

I think a people tend to forget that a lot of games are made for a crowd much younger than them when they get older.

DO you expect your average six years old to be pulling off 1 frame links, playing mind games and etc?

Or do you expect them to have fun?

Goldsaint said on August 26, 2014 at 9:23 p.m.

yeah it does never tried it because i play with my keyboard

AugustAPC said on August 26, 2014 at 11:39 p.m.

I don't even know what to say. I'm so stoked! Bulbasaur best make the roster!

There's no way this won't hit the Wii U. The system has sooo many great games... this will just be another reason to love it. I can't wait to see more on this!

So Harada's 3 games are Tekken 7/TxSF/Pokken.

Sirius said on August 27, 2014 at 2:15 a.m.

It was pretty obvious from the start that it was a party game rather than a fighting one.

ShadowGeno said on August 27, 2014 at 3:17 a.m.

Guess that explains how the "stats" mechanics in Tekken Revolution could be developed upon? lol

Also kinda hoping for Totodile or Feraligatr to make the roster... then I'm all set!

AllStarRogue said on August 27, 2014 at 4 a.m.

C'mon Hawlucha

AugustAPC said on August 27, 2014 at 5:27 a.m.

Really? Because the scarce details hardly give me that impression.

Anyway, I'm really excited for this. Nintendo is doing some really interesting and bold things with their franchises. Hyrule Warriors is another game that surprised me. Hopefully we can get a new Pokemon Snap. Wii U is beyond perfect for that game.

NyuBomber said on August 27, 2014 at 6:43 a.m.

Harada said he actually has 5 projects going on his Twitter.

Dude's a machine.

AugustAPC said on August 27, 2014 at 8:39 a.m.

That right? I recall hearing 3.

Not complaining, though. Love the guy and his games.

Neoxon said on August 27, 2014 at 11:21 a.m.

Nintendo has improved since then. They sponsored EVO, held a tournament for Smash 4 during E3, gave us the GameCube Adapter, & they're starting a sponsor program for YouTubers. Besides, this is a Nintendo IP, there's no way it won't be exclusive to Wii U as far as consoles go.

Neoxon said on August 27, 2014 at 11:23 a.m.

* I meant to type they're (not their), but the edit button won't save my edits.

Makbaz said on August 27, 2014 at 11:53 a.m.

pokemon has like 500 different characters now
how do people expect this game will have a deep gameplay/mechanics !?!?!

Ryan_Krown said on August 27, 2014 at 3:34 p.m.

Well, at least we still have omega and alpha...

Bartleberg said on August 28, 2014 at 9:26 p.m.

So,I was initially enraged by the high/mid/low thing, and the game not being what I had wanted. But your comment was so sensible that I made an account to tell you that you're the only person to ever make me switch sides on something I was so heated about so quickly. The industry needs more fans like you.