Anti-cross up Ultra 1, meaty fireball pressure, and punishing Blanka balls: This Ultra Street Fighter 4 guide will get your Poison up to speed

Posted by Ryan 'Tryken' Tullis • August 19, 2014 at 8:55 a.m. PDT

Bafael has released a video guide detailing close to everything you need to know about Poison, from which Ultra to pick against Dan to anti-focus strategies.

Not satisfied with only having a video representation, an entire text guide appears in the "About" section so you can easily pull up Training Mode and get started. The effort is pretty astonishing. Even the written guide details mix-ups, pressure, corner only juggles. Every bit of note taking has been completely done for you.

Check below to watch the video and take your Poison to the next level.

Source: Bafael's YouTube channel.
Tip sent in by Carnoustie.

Comments

MRN_SirFoxington said on August 19, 2014 at 9:26 a.m.

I noticed since the release of USF4 that literally no Poison player (on the PSN) is using her U2 !

Kind of weird since it does 500+ Damage if im not mistaken O_O !

I guess we have to wait till there are efficient ways to use this Ultra...

But why make it a Grab Ultra then? Poison isnt a close range brawler,No?

Fkid said on August 19, 2014 at 9:30 a.m.

At least Blanka balls can't be punished on a successful hit like before, am I right?

Taizuku said on August 19, 2014 at 9:31 a.m.

I fought a Guy the other day with my Blanka, to my disdain I found that he could punish EX Blanka Ball on hit with his slide kick...every time....

Paradonyx said on August 19, 2014 at 9:39 a.m.

It's inferior to Ultra 1.

Ultra 1 has:
Anti-air properties
Amazing juggle properties
Above average punish abilities

U2 takes 2 frames to start up, according to the frame data app. Not to mention the range is around 0.6(most throws have an average throw distance of around 1.5), so you can say the range is dreadful.

Tbh, I only opt in for U2 against characters that have unsafe moves, especially reversals that are - on block and leave them close to me.

But alas, I always see myself using U2 every 1 outta 10 matches. Love Storm is just the superior option.

HyperViperNZ said on August 19, 2014 at 9:46 a.m.

I use it sometimes and I'm shocked when it actually kills characters who have like half a life bar still. It's so damn damaging. It's nice to surprise players with it but it's so hard to get it to connect since it's not an instant grab like Zangiefs or T-Hawks. Players can jump or dash when they see the animation.
Maybe that's why it's not popular. Because it's almost impossible to get it to connect.

sarif2soon said on August 19, 2014 at 9:46 a.m.

They don't use it because it's a 2-frame post-flash Ultra, unlike grapplers who have their grab Ultras as 1-frame pre-flash.

Meaning that Poison's grab Ultra is escapable and grappler Ultras aren't (if you didn't do something invincible to throws before their activation).

So, one can only use Poison's Ultra 2 as a punish to moves that have a -2 or less advantage, or after a Focus Attack.

Dtwizzy said on August 19, 2014 at 9:48 a.m.

I use her U2 as a gimmicky move. Focus (either block or hit) and then forward dash and U2. Allot of players don't know what to do so if they press buttons or try to grab they get hit. I have hit allot of unknowning players this way. Ofcourse against better players i don't do it but that's the beauty of Double ultra, it gives room for experimentation.

brobo said on August 19, 2014 at 9:49 a.m.

U2 catches I think up to 5f safejumps -- its extremely viable just hella situational and as a consequence only suited for high level play. I believe you can RFC the first hit of Rekka into U2 to get a good bit of damage before scaling kills hit. But, as already stated, U1 is ultimately superior.

MRN_SirFoxington said on August 19, 2014 at 9:55 a.m.

THANK YOU GENTLEMEN (Posts #4,#5#6) for enlighten me :)

I didnt know that her U2 is a 2 frame start up grab ultra so yeah it makes sense to me now !

Basically just like Balrogs U2 (Dirty Bull)

I guess her U2 can also be used for Red Focus Cancels....But i guess the Damage scaling will mess up the Damage-output a bit so like you folks said, her U1 is the better choice !

SpiderUppercut said on August 19, 2014 at 10:15 a.m.

This is some good info.
Inspires me to perhaps pick up Ultra SF4 for PC maybe a bit later.
We'll see.

MRN_SirFoxington said on August 19, 2014 at 10:20 a.m.

36 Downvotes LOL

shadowhumane said on August 19, 2014 at 10:21 a.m.

i do use her ultra 2 but the range sucks the only time i hit it right when people just pressing buttons or don't know what they doing

XStrangeBeautyX said on August 19, 2014 at 10:23 a.m.

This is nice and all,, but Poison still is.. well,,, Ok Poison Sucks,,,

SpiderUppercut said on August 19, 2014 at 10:30 a.m.

I'd go for 256 but I'm not sure if the variable has been declared as an 'int' or 'word' :)

MRN_SirFoxington said on August 19, 2014 at 10:39 a.m.

Hahahahaha im just messing with ya dude ;)

Paradonyx said on August 19, 2014 at 10:48 a.m.

I got called a gentleman by the most gentle of gentlemen.

Yay :)

JuriTheSpider said on August 19, 2014 at 10:52 a.m.

She's a pretty solid char

geoomega said on August 19, 2014 at 10:56 a.m.

I used her u2 all the time!!!!

MRN_SirFoxington said on August 19, 2014 at 11:11 a.m.

Iam trying lol ;)

FlynnChop said on August 19, 2014 at 11:19 a.m.

THIS is exactly what I needed ^^

SirKenjamin said on August 19, 2014 at 11:23 a.m.

I just miss the days where people just put in the time to learn a character on their own without some how to video/tutorial. But it is what it is these days.

BlackOnyxThunder said on August 19, 2014 at 11:33 a.m.

Juri + Ryu = Poison

CharmingRogue said on August 19, 2014 at 11:35 a.m.

I like when he shows footsies, he's just spamming fireball lol

DougQuaidHauser said on August 19, 2014 at 12:22 p.m.

Surprised more don't use her, I think she is BS good, has all the tools and a sh+tty hurtbox.....woman characters have no appeal to me in fighting games so not for me.

tidestick said on August 19, 2014 at 12:24 p.m.

Ultra 1 as preferred? Pfff. I use ultra2. I dare you to stand close to ME!

sergio_reyes_ said on August 19, 2014 at 12:34 p.m.

practice all move atackks punch kick jump training all with poison practice all this videos

MRN_SirFoxington said on August 19, 2014 at 12:39 p.m.

Lol....

Agreed.

Pink said on August 19, 2014 at 12:41 p.m.

I don't use Ultra 2 because I have a difficult time doing the input motion, I end up jumping backwards or a ex Whip of Love comes out :(

SAMURAI said on August 19, 2014 at 12:47 p.m.

Many characters can still punish Blanka balls on hit.
Special moves that hit, so you did something right and it still gets punished. That's the most retarded thing in the game.

cris25 said on August 19, 2014 at 1:15 p.m.

Stupid fixes that don't fix what shoud be fixed.

geoomega said on August 19, 2014 at 2:14 p.m.

They do need to buff poison a little more, i mean she's better then her sf x tekken incarnation, but she still has problems that needs to be fix in order for her to match other characters on battles....

PrideOfTosa said on August 19, 2014 at 2:19 p.m.

I think Poison Kiss should've been a counterattack ultra like Cammy's or Fei's. It's next to useless as it is, even with its massive damage. I still use it all the time though, just because it's so much fun to land...manzoku ja nai. :P

Paradonyx said on August 19, 2014 at 3:23 p.m.

No they don't. Do you even main Poison? She's one of the more balanced characters in Ultra.

On that topic, I've actually had people say she needs NERFS.

Seriously though, she's fine the way she is.

Cascadian1106 said on August 19, 2014 at 3:37 p.m.

Poison's both good and fun to use even for a Chun mainer like me.

JuriTheSpider said on August 19, 2014 at 6:03 p.m.

This. She's such a good charactervas she is now. I don't feel she needs any buffs or nerfs. I bring her out a lot at locals now and she seems to be able to compete with the entire cast

b1t said on August 19, 2014 at 7:03 p.m.

The only character I've had real trouble with, so far, is Yun. It's very hard and risky to use fireballs and it's hard to AA properly since he can delay and change his jump trajectory.

Good Yun players can basically nullify you fireballs by shouldering on reaction. Tricky to play offense too if they can SRK the Flip kick on reaction. And after blocked shoulder Yun is in the perfect spot to dodge Poisons cr.MK and whiffpunish/stuff with st.MP. >_>

So basically you have to bait alot of shoulders and anti-air with jump attacks or EX SRK.

HyperViperNZ said on August 19, 2014 at 11:20 p.m.

More like Adon + FeiLong + Ryu = Poison

DIO_K said on August 20, 2014 at 12:27 a.m.

I think her U2 is designed to beat the safe jumps and some blocked close range overhead move with minus 2.

McAl said on August 20, 2014 at 1:19 a.m.

As far as I know Poison can only punish Hard Punch Blanka balls 100% of the time. Other strength balls I've tried punishing mid screen after block but no luck.

oni_chan3000 said on August 20, 2014 at 7:34 a.m.

forget about the sexism in this statement, or that its a video game and these characters aren't real so gender doesn't exist. if you want to limit your choices and and your skill overall, it's your choice. however you should have no problem playing poison, cus she isn't a woman character.

oni_chan3000 said on August 20, 2014 at 8:03 a.m.

i really enjoy poison. i think she is fine the way she is except i feel like her damage scaling is terrible. if you do an ex rekka without any hits before it, by the time they are airborne, its already scaled to 60 percent. if you hit confirm with cr.short-st.short-cr.fierce or st. far forward before ex. rekka its aweful. they didn't show any of the crazy combos she can do out of ex rekkas in the corner, but it is prob. because they aren't worth using in a serious match. i think this video was going for practicality not fancy combos. i feel that capcom did this on purpose because they didn't want her to be a combo heavy character and more of zoning/footsie heavy character. i honestly think the best way to use her meter is ex fireballs and super out of rekka combos. her super does good damage even after a hit confirm into rekka combo. forget full meter corner combos out of ex rekka. forget about fadc.(for the most part) just keep up the zoning game and if you get them in the corner keep that pressure going with fireballs and flip kicks. be smart and safe with them though. don't get into a rhythm and become predictable though. thats my thoughts on poison, but i suck at sf, so take this with a grain of salt. good video. poison is baller. haha, get it?

Sunforged_One said on August 20, 2014 at 9:54 a.m.

hmmm...
I see in her more some kind of Rose+Adon(+Fei Long because of Rekka)
But... she is a very unique character... you can't really compare her to others.