Beowulf's in-game premier, Eliza bringing out a skeleton to fight, and Big Band combos galore: Check out the latest Skullgirls action

Posted by Ryan 'Tryken' Tullis • August 19, 2014 at 10:37 a.m. PDT

When Skullgirls originally ran its Kickstarter to back DLC character Squigly, the dedicated community managed to bring the team home enough to support a total of five new characters.

As the journey of development continues, we've rounded up a couple videos to give you a look into the game's progress. In the first, you can see Beowulf's in-game premier along with an in-depth detailing of Eliza.

The second video contains the most recently released character, Big Band, dishing out some magnificent combos.

Check below to see what's going on in Mike Z's love letter to fighting games.

Sources: Alex Steve Gimenez's YouTube channel and Markr0ss's YouTube channel.
Tips sent in by Paradonyx and AngryAssassin.

Comments

Roge9 said on August 19, 2014 at 10:41 a.m.

can't wait, hehehehe

SadisticSamurai said on August 19, 2014 at 10:42 a.m.

Eliza going to bring back the Remove Skeleton Dark Souls meme XD

LeonHartEX said on August 19, 2014 at 11:10 a.m.

Beowulf's default and walking forward animation reminds me alot of Alpha Zangief. That's pretty awesome!

ryuhayabusa13 said on August 19, 2014 at 11:12 a.m.

yup i can totally see he was zangief alpha inspired animation.

XeroDgX said on August 19, 2014 at 11:21 a.m.

Backwards walking too is Zangief from alpha series.

I wouldn't say is just "inspired by" Zangief, I think Zangief was used as base for his walking animations, AND IS PRETTY AWESOME!!...

manboy said on August 19, 2014 at 11:22 a.m.

I haven't really been following all the Skullgirls news as of late, was Fukua taken out or is she still a playable character?

Dracos_Wrath said on August 19, 2014 at 11:32 a.m.

Still a playable character. She's next to Big Band.

Kawalorn said on August 19, 2014 at 11:34 a.m.

Fukua is staying forever and is actually quite a cool and differentiated character.

DaveNotti said on August 19, 2014 at 11:40 a.m.

BEAUTIFULLY DONE in regards to those Big Band combos! Saved to the archive for further review.

BK said on August 19, 2014 at 11:57 a.m.

Might as well change the name of the game since there's dudes in it now.

XeroDgX said on August 19, 2014 at 12:04 p.m.

The "King" of Fighters didn't changed the name ever, did they?

Kongk4 said on August 19, 2014 at 12:17 p.m.

Adding to Xero's comment:

I guess Street Fighter should change their name as well since they now fight in spaceships and Jurassic labs. :P

tidestick said on August 19, 2014 at 12:18 p.m.

I love me some Skullgirls <3

AngryAssassin said on August 19, 2014 at 12:20 p.m.

Having spoken at length with Alex and viewed many of his videos, I can say that man has love for the game and enjoys teaching. It shows on his channel.

courte said on August 19, 2014 at 12:23 p.m.

Wasn't Eliza supposed to have a drops of blood mechanic? That's why I voted for her... Hope its not completely gone. Be nice if it were at least reworked into another character though the skeleton does look pretty darn cool

The_True_Gouki said on August 19, 2014 at 12:34 p.m.

Eliza my Queen. We will be together soon.

Snow said on August 19, 2014 at 12:53 p.m.

If you haven't been bothered to play endless beta or even sort of pay attention to development updates or all the Skullgirls entries here I find myself hard pressed to feel any sympathy. If you were actually interested in the game and played it, you'd know the answer. Months ago.

caruga said on August 19, 2014 at 1:38 p.m.

Is Eliza still going to use her spilled blood in combat?

HooliganComboFTW said on August 19, 2014 at 1:48 p.m.

No the blood mechanic was scrapped. Instead she has a 2nd mode/helpers/etc throwing in blood mechanic on top of that would make her character bloated. Less is more.

Before someone complains this was never promised because there was always that "final product may change" disclaimer present.

UncleBibby said on August 19, 2014 at 2 p.m.

someone on Mike Z's art team has a serious gore fetish.

Pachendrix said on August 19, 2014 at 2:01 p.m.

I'd say backwards walking is actually Lobo (Injustice). Rest of them so far are indeed Zangief.

caruga said on August 19, 2014 at 2:22 p.m.

Well, they could have kept the blood mechanic and left out the helpers. The blood mechanic was at the forefront and seemed like the 'hook' to get people to vote for her, what with Mike doing a mock video with tomatoes and even saying she was the character concept he found most interesting after Isaac. I can't help but wonder if it was time and budget that led them to leave it out, or censorship reasons. She seems like a completely different character without it.

Dracos_Wrath said on August 19, 2014 at 2:39 p.m.

The game isn't called Skullgirls because it's a girls-only game. The Skull Heart can grant a wish to a WOMAN, but if she has an impure heart, she will later become a monster under the control of the Skull Heart: a SKULLGIRL.

xShonuffx said on August 19, 2014 at 3:02 p.m.

This is great, I think im going to go back and play some Encore on my PS3.

And is it me or does Mike Z at times comes off as being a jerk at times? Maybe he's just joking around im sure but sometimes even when he means well he kind of acts like he has a chip on his shoulder. Like someone shat in my corn flakes so don't bother me. Still I think he's made a great game.

Prototype said on August 19, 2014 at 3:46 p.m.

The amount of stress that it would have put on the engine in order to add the blood mechanic as it was described was too much. Given the course of the match if I player were to use too much of it then it would slow down the game kind of like ps3 marvel. Actually its easier to think of it as the old doom hidden missiles glitch. Rendering that many objects and having them be ready to be called while also potentially generating more is too much to do at once, especially when you consider this is a two player game.

Schwoi said on August 19, 2014 at 3:48 p.m.

yes. beautiful mariel cartwright.

SolxBaiken said on August 19, 2014 at 3:54 p.m.

Man, people are so quick to forget that this project isn't Mike Z's alone. The concept for Skullgirls comes from artist Alex Ahad, and keeping that in mind, nearly all of his artwork entertain some fetishism [gore, vore, bondage, etc]. Which is about all I'll say on here since, while I do enjoy his aestheticism, I have conflicting opinions on the actual content and subject matter of his work.

Also Eventhubs, they ran an Indiegogo, not a Kickstarter.

Also also, @ #24 Mike is cool peoples, but yeah, he is very abrasive in his mannerisms. He's so snarky that I can't tell if he's willing doing it or at times doesn't realize it.

MightyAfro said on August 19, 2014 at 4:34 p.m.

almost reminds me of Shen Woo when he backs up. I think that the characters all need a color scheme that looks like that. All basic n' whatnot

Chaos15 said on August 19, 2014 at 4:38 p.m.

Give him Kyubey color swap!

himura said on August 19, 2014 at 4:39 p.m.

a guy with a chair as a weapon? persona arena anyone?

but F**k it, i love this game!!! can wait to see the character finish :)

Rye_Aka_SekaiSenshi said on August 19, 2014 at 5:03 p.m.

....It look's like his dic* is jiggling... I don't even know what to say anymore... But is that REALLY going to be in his final build? Cause that kinda look's weird...

Rye_Aka_SekaiSenshi said on August 19, 2014 at 5:10 p.m.

If that really is it... I already know some people who would love that... But if that's just something else moving down there then. I wonder what it is. lol

DunnDeal said on August 19, 2014 at 5:17 p.m.

I'm waiting on dat vita release

Lyn said on August 19, 2014 at 5:22 p.m.

It does seems as if hes arrogant but you can tell he puts a lot into the game.

Sometimes his decision making regarding balance and other things causes eyebrows to rise.

XeroDgX said on August 19, 2014 at 5:31 p.m.

Is Zangief's, (straight up with raised chest), the only difference is that this one is calling the opponent with the hands......just watch a vid where Zangief walks back

Mike_Z said on August 19, 2014 at 6:08 p.m.

(this was @24 but I guess the reply bit didn't work)

Only "at times"? Yahoo! That's a huge improvement from "constantly". I'll keep working toward the eventual goal of "bland and inoffensive". :^)

AttorneyMayCry said on August 19, 2014 at 8:11 p.m.

Can Fukua have a proper character select icon now

N0_0NE_SPECIAL said on August 19, 2014 at 9:08 p.m.

Big Band Stand punches : Tuba! Tuba! Tuba! TUBA!!!!

HooliganComboFTW said on August 20, 2014 at 4:26 a.m.

Won't happen. It's to retain that "secret character" feel.

MarthFE said on August 20, 2014 at 5:38 p.m.

This is a great game, I don't see why it isn't played a lot more.

So after all the dlc characters announced are released is there a chance there will be more or is it done and over with?

Also to whoever said mike z comes off as a jerk. I think you're just misinterpreting his awkward social habits and sense of humour. I find it enjoyable and can get a good laugh most of the time.

Pachendrix said on August 21, 2014 at 2:33 p.m.

3rd strike Gill never got an icon, Fukua, is getting the same "forever secret character" feel. And honestly, I like it that way.