Velociraptor's tier rankings for Gouken in Ultra Street Fighter 4

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • August 18, 2014 at 4:25 p.m. PDT

Today we have a special treat for all you Ultra Street Fighter 4 fans out there. After casting his votes in our tiers section, Veloc1raptor has provided us with his tier rankings for Gouken in Ultra Street Fighter 4.

By clicking the image below, you can check out how the frequent Wednesday Night Fights competitor feels his main character stacks up against the rest. Additionally, Veloc1raptor has jumped into the comments sections of many of the match-ups, and wrote a few tips on how to fight each specific character.

Click image for Veloc1raptor's Gouken match-up chart

Below you will find notes from Veloc1raptor on one of Gouken's best match-ups, and one of his worst.

Gouken vs. Hugo: 7-3

It's still early but it seems as though this is one of Gouken's easiest match ups. Fireball and Ex-tatsu make Hugo's life very hard. Hugo's sheer size makes zoning him particularly easy. Gouken's armor-breaking ex-tatsu beats all of Hugo's runs. Like Honda, Gouken should not let Hugo get close. If Hugo does get in, then it's a guessing game to try to get him off of you. Don't let it get to that point.

Gouken vs. Oni: 4-6

I think Oni's character design is optimal for the current version of Street Fighter 4. This match up is similar to Ken or Evil Ryu on steroids. I give the advantage to Oni at 5.5.

As Gouken, you really never want to be close to Oni. This is a zone as much as possible match up. It's just too risky to be close enough for Oni to get his pressure started. A single combo leads to nearly half life and a set up for a second combo into stun.

Gouken wants to frustrate Oni into making poor choices as he tries to get in. Even after a knock down, I suggest continuing to zone most of the time. If you get into your opponents head enough, you may try to read a fireball and jump in for massive damage. Be careful though, don't throw away a life lead and the momentum on a guess.

Be sure to check out our previous EventHubs tier ranking from Mike Ross.

Photo via eSportsMax.

Comments

Darc_Requiem said on August 18, 2014 at 4:36 p.m.

I can't really disagree with anything Veloc1raptor says here. Of course, he is the best Gouken in the US.

blackerthancoal said on August 18, 2014 at 4:38 p.m.

he put sagat in unfavorable but in the comments he says that gouken has the matchup advantage instead. i think he accidentally gave sagat the wrong ranking. did this happen for any other character?

Quakeulf said on August 18, 2014 at 4:46 p.m.

6-4 against Zangief? Snake Eyez not a problem? :3c

diddykv said on August 18, 2014 at 4:51 p.m.

I very much appreciate the notes. I already read some about Guile, Sagat, Abel, Dudley, Cammy, etc., and they're very helpful.

Veloc1raptor_ said on August 18, 2014 at 5:06 p.m.

Good catch. Fixed it.

Excelancer said on August 18, 2014 at 5:12 p.m.

I've seen Velociraptor handle the match against him. Snake Eyez suffers a lot in this matchup

GammaChemical said on August 18, 2014 at 5:21 p.m.

Veloc1raptor, as an Akuma player, I agree with your listing(s).

Burnt said on August 18, 2014 at 5:26 p.m.

This is way better than players trying to come out at game launch and compose a tier list of all characters..

wl_chrisking said on August 18, 2014 at 5:41 p.m.

Aw, 6-4 Vega? :'(

Refrigerator said on August 18, 2014 at 5:42 p.m.

cr.mk crouch tech forces rufus off his primary gameplan; I find it an easier match up than 5-5. And I think the evil ryu/Ryu and Ken match ups are in gouken's favor, too; neither can tatsu through gouken's fireball and lose the zoning war, bar ex hadoken, and their pressure doesn't really capitalize on Gouken's weaknesses. EX Tatsu punishes fei's rekka from any range and cr.lk keeps him out pretty easily, I find it slightly above 5-5 in gouken's favor.

On the flip side, my experience has been tougher than he projects against Vega, Rolento, Dan and Ibuki, but the rest I agree with. Got any tips for those MU's?

Existent said on August 18, 2014 at 5:44 p.m.

He's one of the only players I've seen that legitimately understands the character, and I agree with almost everything except the Akuma matchup. I'm not seeing that one, or Cammy for that matter.

GammaChemical said on August 18, 2014 at 5:47 p.m.

#11, Gouken can out zone Akuma due to faster fireball recovery. Gouken can also deal more damage on hit as well as having more health.

What Akuma had going for him was Vortex but due to DWU mechanic, Akuma was indirectly nerfed. Akuma is a glass cannon, he can be kept away and if hes hit, he is pretty much screwed.

Existent said on August 18, 2014 at 5:52 p.m.

If you're getting outzoned as Akuma in that matchup you're doing something wrong. It's not difficult to get in. One correct EX Flip guess gets you in even if Gouken recovers in time to block.
Mixing the threat of that with red and air fireballs and throwing too many as Gouken is a losing game.

GammaChemical said on August 18, 2014 at 6:03 p.m.

#13, One correct EX flip lol..yeah have fun getting that one correct one.
Not to mention that requires a meter. Not to mention, due to the fast recovery of the fireball, they may be able to back dash or completely avoid..or even punish your EX demon.

LOL Air fireballs..yeah you'll get slapped with his DP+Punch from fullscreen.

sergio_reyes_ said on August 18, 2014 at 6:03 p.m.

other characters player opponent skills ultre street fighter 4 skill attacks opponent is deferent player need much time practice need a good skill oni is deferent attacks gouken is deferent attacks .

Wasted said on August 18, 2014 at 6:07 p.m.

Gouken doesn't, never has, and never will in this state, out-zone Akuma.

Both characters can make life hell for each other to get in, Akuma controls more ranges thanks to his air fireballs.

5-5 easily. Not in Akuma's favour anymore, but surely not in Goukens. The majority of Akuma's vortex is still intact and DWU can be adjusted for.

sergio_reyes_ said on August 18, 2014 at 6:09 p.m.

oni is different attacks goukent is different attacks hugo is different attacks

GammaChemical said on August 18, 2014 at 6:15 p.m.

#16, Cool man but as an Akuma main since Vanilla, I will have to agree with one of the best top Gouken players in the States.

SonicfanQ said on August 18, 2014 at 6:26 p.m.

This I can't believe Rapter would put this match up in goukens favor.
Actually alot of the match ups I dont agree with like adon being 5-5 or bison or cammy or dudley blanka those are all 6-4s IMO

Gouken got better but not THAT much better. His bad match ups are pretty much still the same. Honestly bison has gotten worse with the buff to ex Scissor kick he can get it much easier.

SonicfanQ said on August 18, 2014 at 6:31 p.m.

Honestly I would like to see Rapter do a first to 5 with Gamerbee and show me why he thinks adon vs gouken is a 5-5 lol

Existent said on August 18, 2014 at 6:50 p.m.

One meter is trivial to get, and I already said that it usually doesn't matter if Gouken recovers in time to block. The purpose of the attack has already been fulfilled. Also, what planet are you on where you can backdash a jumpin as Gouken?

GammaChemical said on August 18, 2014 at 6:52 p.m.

#21, Wheres your reading comprehension? I'm addressing to your cute ex demon flip.

Here, since you cannot comprehend

Gouken: Throws fireball
Akuma, makes a guess that it isnt an air fireball, makes sures hes got a bar, decides to use EX demon
Gouken: Recovers in time and back dash to avoid ex demon flip trajectory.

Hope that made it easier for you.

GammaChemical said on August 18, 2014 at 6:56 p.m.

And for all you EH warriors thinking its 6-4 Akuma, dont forget that Veloc1raptor beat Infiltrations Akuma. If you guys dont know, Infiltration is one of the best Akumas today and has been playing him since vanilla.

Existent said on August 18, 2014 at 7:02 p.m.

Are you disabled in some way? That's exactly what I was talking about. If you think Gouken can backdash a demon flip safely you don't understand as much as you think.

GammaChemical said on August 18, 2014 at 7:11 p.m.

#24, I'd rather take a persons opinion and judgement who plays gouken that has beaten one of the best akumas in the world than some random EH poster.

He says its 6-4 Gouken and you know what I agree 100%. You can play your fantasy matchup all you want but unless you can beat Infiltration at a tournament, your opinions dont mean jack sht.

Jinzo18 said on August 18, 2014 at 7:17 p.m.

Existent said on August 18, 2014 at 7:18 p.m.

You can think whatever you want, but I'm arguing your reasoning, not his. -If- the matchup was favorable for Gouken it wouldn't be for any of the reasons you stated.

GammaChemical said on August 18, 2014 at 7:21 p.m.

#27, I agree with all of Veloc1raptors matchup listings, especially vs Akuma...argue with that lmfao.

Gurpwnder said on August 18, 2014 at 7:23 p.m.

I'd put Dan-Gouken at 5-5, but I'm not nearly at Velic1raptor's level. I just think that Gouken has a lot to fear from Dan's knee pressure, and any non tatsu anti-air is getting stuffed clean by the knee (unless he does a high parry anti-air).

Very read heavy matchup, but can go either way.

Existent said on August 18, 2014 at 7:24 p.m.

I just said that I wasn't. You can change the subject as much as you want but your original points were just untrue.

GammaChemical said on August 18, 2014 at 7:27 p.m.

#30, its 6-4 Gouken, give it up.

Existent said on August 18, 2014 at 7:29 p.m.

Give it up yourself.
Your reasoning was faulty, and you keep trying to change the subject to save face.

GammaChemical said on August 18, 2014 at 7:32 p.m.

#32, Regardless if it was faulty, its still 6-4 Gouken lmfao.

Forgot you probably strictly only play online. Offline Akuma would demolish your Gouken.

JJOak said on August 18, 2014 at 7:32 p.m.

Infiltration played Chun Li against Velociraptor, dude.

GammaChemical said on August 18, 2014 at 7:36 p.m.

#34, I wonder why..its because akuma is a bad matchup against gouken.

Existent said on August 18, 2014 at 7:36 p.m.

Still changing the subject, and then twice in one comment?
Impressive. But regardless, my work is done. Good night friend.

GammaChemical said on August 18, 2014 at 7:40 p.m.

Lol at your work here is done. 6-4 Gouken, end of story.

JJOak said on August 18, 2014 at 7:41 p.m.

But likewise, one misplaced fireball can be EX flipped by Gouken. Gouken's fireball recovers way faster, meaning most of the time, if the flip was on reaction, sure, Akuma will get in with a palm if Gouken can't AA Tatsu, but Gouken has better defensive tools in Ultra. And Gouken has high parry to beat air fireball approaches, EX Tatsu helps his wakeup game immensely, and the three frame jab helps him break up frame traps more consistently. Couple that with Gouken's overall stronger footsies and 150 life advantage, and you've got yourself a 5.5 - 4.5 matchup.

JJOak said on August 18, 2014 at 7:44 p.m.

I agree that Gouken has an advantage in the matchup in Ultra, but you're not arguing your point very well. Think the mu through yourself and justify with your position, instead of just basing your opinions on Velociraptor (who didn't play Infiltration's Akuma). I agree with his opinion, and yours, but the way all three of us came to this conclusion is evidently very different.

JJOak said on August 18, 2014 at 7:47 p.m.

"I'd rather take a persons opinion and judgement who plays gouken that has beaten one of the best akumas in the world than some random EH poster. "

You said that earlier. He hasn't beaten Eita, Tokido or Infiltration's Akuma. No disrespect to John, he's great, but don't just take his opinion at face value. Factor his opinion into your evaluation of the matchup; don't just assume he's the final word on the matchup.

GammaChemical said on August 18, 2014 at 7:49 p.m.

Infiltration is a smart person..if Akuma favored in the matchup, he would have picked Akuma over Chun Li vs Veloc1raptor.

The fact that Infiltration didnt speaks VOLUME. Further solidifies the 6-4 matchup rating.

Veloc1raptor_ said on August 18, 2014 at 7:59 p.m.

I think it's important to note that the rating system did not allow for half numbers. In many of the match ups, including Adon and Akuma, I feel the spread is at a half number like 5.5 - 4.5. I tried to clarify that in my descriptions for each match.

gunblade72 said on August 18, 2014 at 8:03 p.m.

You do realize Gouken has an ex demon flip too right? When you were thinking about this did you even think about Gouken's moveset? If you don't then don't bother talking about matchups.

Yeah Akuma can outfireball gouken with red fireballs but that has so much more recovery than Gouken's fireball and if he does one correct ex df read there goes half of akuma's health and he will get stunned in the next mixup.

I already knew this was going to be a bad matchup for akuma in usf4 when dwu was announced.

JJOak said on August 18, 2014 at 8:16 p.m.

Your logic is flawed. His Chun Li pick only means he thinks Chun Li does better against Gouken than Akuma does. It could mean Infiltration thinks it's 5.5 - 4.5 in Akuma's favor, but 6-4 in Chun's favor.

JuriTheSpider said on August 18, 2014 at 8:17 p.m.

Negative. Infiltration does this based on players not characters. He fights Nuckledu and dieminion with different characters yet they both use guile. Try turning down the volume a little bit there. And im in the camp that the match is even or slightly in akumas favor. The fact that raptor seems to think that gouken beats ibuki already had me scratching my head. He's a great player but hes basing it off his own competition more so than the best of the best that tiers decide anyway.

JJOak said on August 18, 2014 at 8:19 p.m.

Can you help me understand where you think Gouken has the advantage against Ibuki or Vega? Those, along with Guy and Yun (which I know are better off just switching characters for), are the only MU's I really have trouble with as Gouken.

diddysinatra said on August 18, 2014 at 8:37 p.m.

Roleto as favorable is questionable to me - but it's early

Spabobin said on August 18, 2014 at 8:40 p.m.

Southsiderambo said on August 18, 2014 at 9:03 p.m.

10-0 vs Hugo

JJOak said on August 18, 2014 at 9:03 p.m.

You can space the knife so Gouken has to parry it mid, which gives you back your 50/50.

SrAbuguet said on August 18, 2014 at 9:18 p.m.

I agree with the Oni matchup, is very annoying and his pressure game is top, I'd say he is the Vergil of USF4. Saw your match against Sanford and it was evident the only way to get rid of Oni as Gouken is taking risks like EX Tatsu on wake up or winning the fireball game (with Oni having a 3 hit fireball without needing any meter) and waiting for the jump in. His cross up move hard to read and with few recovery frames is lethal. Cons of Oni maybe his health, but he's got more than enough to gamble and guess right couple times for the KO. Hate Oni hehehe

zeuvs3 said on August 18, 2014 at 9:26 p.m.

guys you are so dumb. you get the best gouken in america telling you how the matchups are and you disagree? no wonder why usf4 has problems after listning to pepole who barely play this game.

when a master speaks; stfu and listen to gold.

hozukimaru said on August 18, 2014 at 9:57 p.m.

EH readers: No, no, guys. Lets not listen to one of the best Gouken players who does decent at tournaments. I want to know why I cant win online, and why does my opponent online tactics work better than mine. Please explain your reason.

Goukin said on August 18, 2014 at 10:36 p.m.

To all you akuma lovers out there his Hado pressure is not that good against him. I have played gouken along time and had some trouble before. But when quit blocking his Hado or matching them and realized akuma is in the air doing this and Goukens hp palm gos through them sending him across the screen leaving him setup for the denjin. For all you Goukens players use the denjin for chip damage also!! Quit waiting for the perfect time. One hard knock down leaves him time to charge it up for almost full chip! And it does plenty. Don't worry and the whining also how many time have you been chipped out by SHORYUKEN !! Mashers

kaeshi said on August 18, 2014 at 11:28 p.m.

Someone contact proud and get his opinion on it.

Riskbreakerz said on August 19, 2014 at 12:04 a.m.

6-4 vs ibuki wtf?
i guess im bad

EnsignHiro said on August 19, 2014 at 2:22 a.m.

Velociraptor are you related to seth killian by chance? You look just like him.

MRN_SirFoxington said on August 19, 2014 at 6:06 a.m.

I agree with the 5-5 matchup against Dudley BUT I slighty still believe its ,if I face a high skilled Gouken, 6-4 for Gouken since a good Gouken player knows how to keep Dudley away from him.....

DeadlyMoves said on August 19, 2014 at 7:12 a.m.

Tbh i would say Gamerbee would come out on top, but not bcos of the match up, but bcos hes a much better player.
If used properly and on an even skill level, gouken should be able to keep adon out completely. Its only when Adon has meter that Gouken should worry, and be careful of fireballs.

Qwark28 said on August 19, 2014 at noon

Even without meter, Adon can outfootsie Gouken and use Jks. Focus absorbing fireballs is also extremely helpful in building up an early ultra. Once you get U1 Gouken can no longer throw fireball without losing at least 33% of his life.

SonicfanQ said on August 19, 2014 at 12:53 p.m.

Gamerbee would win because his is most likely the better player AND the match up is in his favor...

SonicfanQ said on August 19, 2014 at 12:56 p.m.

to be honest its not hard to be the better player playing a brain dead character like adon.

ViperGoomba said on August 19, 2014 at 5:01 p.m.

I'd respectfully disagree with:

Akuma - I think it's still in Akuma's favor. He can still wakeup harass the whole fight and Gouken takes big risks to stop him. Risk/reward is always in Akuma's favor.

Balrog - I think it's definitely in Gouken's favor, if you play smart.

Cammy - I think it's in Cammy's favor. Not as much as the Akuma matchup, but the risk/reward scenarios for her constant harassment are still in her favor in my opinion.

Adon - Definitely in Adon's favor. He out footsies Gouken, U1 stops fireballs halfway into the fight, his jump is so damn fast that he can repeatedly harass on wakeup with armor breaking move, air jag kick (to punish a tech throw), instant overhead, the usual poke game, or just safe jump and then proceed with any of the above. And repeat.

Ken/Bison/Poison - I see them as ever so slightly in Gouken's favor. Ken's step-kick is predictable and can be parried or swept, and Gouken wins the zoning game. You just have to be careful about the Karathrow range. As for Bison, you can wakeup harass him with demon kick and that will trade with psycho crusher, and make stomp and EX-stomp miss completely or get countered out of. Plus high fireball stops his air stomps and such. Parry the scissor kicks and neutral jump the sweeps into max damage combo. As for Poison, Gouken's Ex-tatsu on reaction beats out all her approaches, and Gouken can keep up in the fireball game. Add in Ex-demon kick to screw her zoning and Gouken's got the advantage.

ViperGoomba said on August 19, 2014 at 5:01 p.m.

Yang - I think Yang's got the advantage. Not as bad as the Yun matchup, but there are too many options for Gouken to try to guess with parry to stop constant attacking, especially at Yang's ranges. And his damn jump arcs don't let you use air fireballs effectively to stop jump ins.

Blanka - DEFINITELY in Blanka's favor. Constant goddamn spazzing of random hops into throw or electricity or poke (which CAN'T be PARRIED, by the way. Blanka's stupid rising knee move can't be parried) cause Gouken to get out-poked/thrown/randomed. Ex-Tatsu is nice but the hops can be 50/50 in terms of what side Blanka lands on, especially hard to read in the corner. You have to guess what the spaz will do on wakeup, and ALSO what side it'll be in. THE WHOLE FIGHT. No thanks. Screw this matchup.

The rest I pretty much agree with, though I figure the 10-fight with Stanford is what helped him gauge the 4-6 rating for Oni. I don't think outzoning Oni is too difficult, so I'd call that match even, like another Ryu match. The air slam move on wakeup is parryable, all his step-kicks and long-reaching punches are parryable like Ken's, and if you think he's going to screw with you and do various strengths of the rushing swipe move, you can back-jump and punish with an air fierce punch into nearly max damage combo.

But in general, I think it's fair to say that match-ups for Gouken are particularly NOT universal. Gouken gets played MANY ways, so a lot of it has to do with what style you use. I don't think Gouken has a very typical "here's what you do in a match" strategy (since all his sh** isn't safe, and thus there's no 'go-to' move or sequence to perform). Accordingly I think some matchups can be less about the character specifics and more about the player and the psychology used mid-match for reading opponents.

-ViperGoomba (#1 PSN Gouken, Double Grand Master)

de_climax said on August 19, 2014 at 7:09 p.m.

I agree that it's in favor of Gouken, mostly because of his superior damage output, but you're crazy if you're trying to backdash flips with him--his backdash is ass and if the Akuma flips with the palm he can react to your backdash and punish it easily.

kilapumpkin said on August 19, 2014 at 8:30 p.m.

I don't want to be an assh*le here or anything but looking at everything you just posted, you sound like an really have no idea what you are talking about.
As an oni main, I have played veloc1raptor before on the PC version and have been beaten by him many times. However, I still think this match up is in oni's favour.

First of all, slam's on wake up cant be parried because reversals break armor....
It's not "just like the Ryu match" because Oni has much better pressure and frametraps when in gouken's face.
Next, oni can get in with mk slash on a well read fireball. also oni does so much damage when he gets in and it's hard to get oni off him with out a well read parry (which if the oni player reads, he can pre-emptivly use any version of slash to break the armor and can lead to potentially huge damage) or ex-tatsu. and if oni does hk slash on wake up, the only thing gouken can really do is block it correctly because it breaks the parry's armor and makes ex-tatsu wiff.

saying that things like the step kick and oni's f.hp can be parried because they're predictable is completely dependent on the player. if they were so predictable everyone would just react with FA as soon as they saw them... saying everything is parryable is like saying that I can react to any normal with DP and if you're so godlike that you can react to EVERY ken's step kick with parry then why is it you can't react to Blanka's random hops into throw.

So I looked you up on youtube to find out about you and now I realize why people call psn free.

zeuvs3 said on August 20, 2014 at 4:51 a.m.

PSN and pc are free:) xbox live or nothing caunts

ViperGoomba said on August 20, 2014 at 7:59 a.m.

Slams on GOUKEN's wakeup. Not Oni's. No sh** a move like the slam on ONI's wakeup would get armor break properties.

I said it was more even, like the Ryu matchup. Which is even. I didn't say the characters are identical and share identical movesets. Just that the matchup odds are similar.

Ken and Oni step-kick stuff is common and typically happens from a certain distance that allow you to predict with some confidence. I already stated that Blanka's BS is tougher to react to because Blanka's rising knee is unparryable. Bison has an unparryable move as well, his EX-punch move that comes after stomp (or in place of it -- devil's reverse, if memory serves...), but that one you can EX-tatsu if you see it's coming, or just block, because you know it's only possible when he's flying around in the air. That makes it less of a surprise than Blanka's.

You DO sound like an a**hole. And you can't read. And you're a jacka** for trolling the same crap about all PSN users sucking. If you don't like a compilation video with Gouken tech and fun gambles just for the sake of being flashy, that's not my problem. And if you truly think anybody can hit Grand Master twice without 'knowing much about the character,' then that speaks worlds about your intelligence and the kind of trolling you attempt to pull off on forums.

JJOak said on August 20, 2014 at 12:33 p.m.

Are you ever going to enter tournaments or locals? I want to see you test these theories in matches with stakes.

PlasmaWaffle said on October 6, 2014 at 9:47 a.m.

This link is broken now :(