Steam opt-in beta test for Ultra Street Fighter 4 network fixes begins August 20th

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • August 18, 2014 at 8:31 p.m. PDT

Last week, a Capcom representative named wbacon over on the Steam forums announced that an opt-in beta test would open up in order to allow PC players the opportunity to help test network fixes in Ultra Street Fighter 4.

Today, wbacon followed up with more information confirming that the beta test will begin on Wednesday, August 20th.

Capcom is aware that players have been experiencing issues with online play, and this beta program will help the company more accurately determine what the issues are.

Detailed instructions for how to join the Ultra Street Fighter 4 beta program are set to drop this Wednesday.

Source: Steam. Image. Submitted by Gamogo, xCROOKEDx, gtfopanda, and David_I.

Comments

EvilJagan said on August 18, 2014 at 8:37 p.m.

Ranked is so bad, hopefully this gets fixed SOON.

GiBGUN said on August 18, 2014 at 8:38 p.m.

I found if I search for custom games with a really strict search criteria, thus producing less results, the 'search results' effect is a lot less troublesome.

MaverickHunterX said on August 18, 2014 at 8:44 p.m.

Is this like Skullgirls' Endless Beta? Finally.

SrAbuguet said on August 18, 2014 at 8:47 p.m.

Good stuff from Capcom, lets fix this bch

fawaz said on August 18, 2014 at 8:57 p.m.

I hope this FINALLY makes it the best online experience on any platform.

sergio_reyes_ said on August 18, 2014 at 9:35 p.m.

resolve this problem capcom

Green016 said on August 18, 2014 at 9:38 p.m.

PC was the best by far but the Steam switch destroyed everything. Something tells me it will never be as good as it was before on GFWL which would be just sad and unfortunate. I try to play everyday and it's just horrendous now. Why would you make us switch to something SO MUCH worse? Guess we'll see but I'm not expecting much. The good thing is it really can't get any worse.

Xurkey said on August 18, 2014 at 10:12 p.m.

I can't believe how much of a mess this is. So glad I held off buying this.

DriveCancelled said on August 18, 2014 at 10:41 p.m.

If the netcode ends up being even better than what it was on GFWL then I'm actually happy it was broken to begin with.

SpiderUppercut said on August 18, 2014 at 10:50 p.m.

Good luck to the Windows / Steam community.

I'm sure they'll get it right eventually with the right people in place at the right time.

Kawalorn said on August 18, 2014 at 11:26 p.m.

Hah, hell no. Lab-Zero tests if things works BEFORE releasing them into the main game. And they don't ignore the problem for 2 months first.

Sasuga said on August 19, 2014 at 12:01 a.m.

I really hope they fix it. The PS3 version is unplayable for me online and I prefer the PC version anyway.

So fix this or release USF4 on next gen consoles. Or both, even better.

CTRFrost said on August 19, 2014 at 1:34 a.m.

Man fix the hit boxes on some of these characters.

GameCloud said on August 19, 2014 at 2:12 a.m.

Gotta involve few guys from our QA team for testing of Network fixes in Ultra Street Fighter 4.

szakigeri said on August 19, 2014 at 2:48 a.m.

Actually, you are right, if the netcode had been like in GFWL, it would still suck, but nearly not as much as now. Now if they can make it perfect, PC version becomes the superior version again.

gtfopanda said on August 19, 2014 at 3:46 a.m.

Many people have actually reported for Endless 1 vs 1 private lobbies (ie, you don't appear in searches so you don't get pinged to death) better performance than GFWL.

Perhaps this won't be the case for everyone, but online play should at the very least be on par with the past, and with GFWL PC SF4's online was as good as X360's one (usually better because of nonexistent loading times).

Lavama said on August 19, 2014 at 4:39 a.m.

It's like a Birthday gift from Capcom! Woop.

KingKong said on August 19, 2014 at 5:07 a.m.

Come on already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrambitious said on August 19, 2014 at 5:39 a.m.

So many mixed opinions about what system lags and what net code is the best.

Anyone ever considered the issue is on your end, not Capcom's?

Guarantee half of you could just upgrade your internet package / routing equipment and fix all of your issues then and there.

I had AE2012 on GFWL and steam, played all ver. of SF4 on both consoles thanks to friends, both net codes are better than the console versions and neither console is that great. And no we are not talking about 1 day of online matches, I racked up countless hours on xbox during college and countless hours on ps3 with my friends, then countless hours on PC on my own.

In the end the purchase of a 5G router fixed 90% of the lag related issues. Personally, aside from the random 5 second freezes mid match for seemingly no reason, the steam version is by far the best and smoothest online play next to KI3.

MRN_SirFoxington said on August 19, 2014 at 5:43 a.m.

Good Capcom.

Now after you are done fixing the PC version, you folks at your Capcom offices can ALSO START to work on the PS3 Version of USF4 and fix it aswell.

To play the PS3 version online is horrible and need a fix.

But you know this already,Capcom.

Boris_17z said on August 19, 2014 at 6:22 a.m.

Please do fix it, I really don't want to buy an Xbox just to play USFIV (since it's unplayable on the ps3).

Kudarane said on August 19, 2014 at 6:29 a.m.

thf24 said on August 19, 2014 at 7:11 a.m.

I play regularly with a buddy who's located about 30 miles away, and our current PC 2-player private endless games are the smoothest and least laggy they've ever been, all previous platforms and versions included. We both have good but not great internet service. That suggests to me it's primarily a matchmaking issue in ranked, although we may just be real lucky.

Liamis1337 said on August 19, 2014 at 7:32 a.m.

I tried the PC version about a year ago and gave it a good go. Most matches were super laggy with green bars. Could be that not as many people were playing on PC near me as there are Xbox users but man it was bad. I might try again if everyone raves about how good it is after the upcoming patch.

Saikyobbi said on August 19, 2014 at 7:58 a.m.

It was suuuuper laggy for me for the first few days, but now it seems pretty good. Maybe this patch can put the whole issue to bed. Still bad at the game, however, not sure when they're going to put a fix in for that...

Kawalorn said on August 19, 2014 at 8:23 a.m.

Oh of course it's on our end. It's not like Capcom admited it's the problem with the game and will even do a beta test of possible fixes... Oh wait...

Jeez try to think once in a while. Most people complaining (including me) had the game run perfectly up until the change to Steam.

Rijot said on August 19, 2014 at 8:35 a.m.

Please don't tell me that you're playing it on wireless.

PlasmaWaffle said on August 19, 2014 at 8:43 a.m.

Hahaha that banner

mrambitious said on August 19, 2014 at 9:50 a.m.

Thing is dude, most people complaining DO NOT own the PC version. I have for years and will not join the steam bashing bandwagon, literally because it did not get any better or worse for me. Just to reiterate my original point, the insanely mixed opinions about BOTH CONSOLE AND PC net code is not Capcom's fault. Some people say Xbox is the best, others PC, a select few have no issues on PS3, some say GFWL rulez, others say it sucked @$$. The lack of any consistency means its not entirely the games fault, but also partially due to your own equipment's short comings.

Sager laptop. Best laptop processor on the market, 5G wireless card, brand new 5g router, 75mb/s up 50 mb/s down internet service, 8gb expensive as hell graphics card, solid state hard drive. Barely any lag ever aside from the BS freezes mid match which is new to PC.

$800 "gaming" PC from best buy... don't expect to ever, EVER play lagless SF4 on this pile of garbage

$2500 macbook - AHAHAHAHAHA useless machine

$1500 Sony Vaio "gaming ready" PC - Lagged like all hell broke lose

Taizuku said on August 19, 2014 at 10:11 a.m.

I play the PS3 version wireless with friend and have minimal issues

mrambitious said on August 19, 2014 at 10:36 a.m.

I'm 100% wireless and can't say I've had too bad of an experience on any system. Everyone has some wild justification for their online experience, none of which involve your own internet service or equipment, which I still 100% guarantee is the cause of most peoples issues. Watch how many of them are still crying after the patch comes out, it's going to be hilarious.

HandsomePhil said on August 19, 2014 at 10:48 a.m.

Will help out however I can, great initiative of CAPCOM. :)

MRN_SirFoxington said on August 19, 2014 at 12:58 p.m.

Wireless is not the issue.

I play wireless myself and ALWAYS HAVE 100% connection rate everytime i check before i start usf4.

It also depends what your opponent uses...is he playing against you but also uses his laptop to watch something on twitch or is actually downloading something at the same time,for example?

All those little things do make a difference aswell so dont just blame yourself.......

TorTorVega said on August 19, 2014 at 2:38 p.m.

I love how people just thrown around words like unplayable. Obviously they derped the Steam integration but it's FAR from unplayable. I'm glad they're letting us test and provide feedback. Better late than never. :)

gijoe81 said on August 19, 2014 at 6:28 p.m.

Quit it already.

It's not our machines, it's effing Steam/Capcom.

Game ran perfect on GFWL. Then when it switched to Steam, all hell broke loose.

The game effing freezes/lags even during training mode or in the menu screen.

So don't sit there and talk about something you have no clue about.

YoungGuru said on August 19, 2014 at 9:20 p.m.

What he said. There's a god damn BETA because so many people are having issues. Enough with the "if it's not happening to me it can't be happening to anyone else" bull. Clearly some people really don't have issues but for those who do it's a bitch playing against them while they hit all their 1f links and I'm plodding along at 20fps. This not a gift from Capcom. They were aware of the issues two months prior to the release and said, "Let's just hope it goes away by itself."

z3pp said on August 20, 2014 at 6:07 a.m.

Hah! No wonder it's garbage. I hope this comment section isn't a reflective percentage of the playerbase using wireless... Go figure. :/

solzan2000 said on August 20, 2014 at 10:26 a.m.

Ewww wireless, don't use it in games, more so pc games. Wireless= inconsistant connection and drops everywhere. If you cannot use an ethernet cable for some reason then use powerline adaptors, which is another form of wired connection.