Capcom working on fix for Steam multiplayer issues; private Endless lobbies are unaffected and playable in Ultra Street Fighter 4 PC

Posted by Cheng Kai 'KarbyP' Sim • August 9, 2014 at 1:18 p.m. PDT

Since the PC version of Ultra Street Fighter 4 was released on Steam earlier this week, there has been many reports of users experiencing a number of issues with the game.

Most notably, many USF4 PC players have claimed that the online modes are virtually unplayable at the moment, due to severe latency issues.

Capcom is aware of the issues, and they're currently working on a fix to root out the problems, the official Capcom Fighters Twitter account announced yesterday.

In the meantime, if you're playing on the PC version of Ultra Street Fighter 4, do note that private Endless lobbies (make the room invite-only) are currently unaffected by the latency issues, and quite playable. Update:EventHubs reader x_Who_Is_Alpha noted that you may have to wait a match or two after all the slots in your lobby are filled up, before the lag stops spiking.

Click image for larger versions

A group of fighting game fans over at the SF4 subreddit have been looking into the issues on the Steam version of Ultra Street FIghter 4, and they've discovered that the connectivity issues are largely due to the game continuing to ping the numerous players listed in the matchmaking lists even after you've already joined a game and started the match.

Thus, private Endless lobbies are unaffected by the issues as the game never searches for other players to matchmake you with in the first place. According to the Reddit users, Online Training mode and public Endless lobbies that have been filled also do not suffer from the latency issues..

As Capcom works to resolve the problems, if there are any other issues you've encountered with the PC version of the game, do make sure to let them know on the Steam discussion boards or via Twitter.

Source: Reddit, Capcom Fighters via Kotaku and Shoryuken.com

Comments

Buckmoth said on August 9, 2014 at 1:21 p.m.

This explains some things... but be warned, there are still people with garbage connections lurking

Gamefreak said on August 9, 2014 at 1:24 p.m.

Endless isn't lag free at all lol. Just played a few games with a friend with the lobby set to private and only 2 slots and it was freezing up a bunch.

johnrambo said on August 9, 2014 at 1:35 p.m.

PC has had lag since they switched from GFWL.

x_Who_Is_Alpha said on August 9, 2014 at 1:41 p.m.

You have to have all your slots filled up. Ive been having zero issues with anyone since Ive started playing in 1 man lobbies.

You have to wait a match or two before the lag stops spiking but after that your in the clear.

Redblaze27 said on August 9, 2014 at 1:45 p.m.

They need to address the replay channel, it just fails to work.

piscolo said on August 9, 2014 at 1:58 p.m.

I don't care. I just want my GFWL Online experience again.

Dracos_Wrath said on August 9, 2014 at 2:01 p.m.

These guys really don't test their games, do they?

spongejordan123 said on August 9, 2014 at 2:08 p.m.

Well, in comparison to Ranked, I was doing Endless for an hour straight just a moment ago and felt nothing that I didn't feel on the console version.

On Ranked I had 4 straight matches where it'd hang for FIFTEEN SECONDS, plus! There was one time I pulled up the steam community in the overlay and bitched about it in a the community hub discussion, and THEN I saw Guile throw the sonic boom I inputted over 10 in-game seconds before. It's bad, but I trust Capcom to fix it so its at least playable.

Try to play Arcade with Ranked Fight Request on. It freezes VERY frequently.

TorTorVega said on August 9, 2014 at 2:11 p.m.

It's weird because I see all these posts over on the Steam boards, here, that other FGC site, the hive of scum and villainy that is Reddit, etc about how the game is "unplayable." but I'm not seeing it. I've been playing pretty much non-stop since Ultra released on PC and maybe 10% of my matches had a 10~ second period of lag and then went back to being smooth, every other match was buttery smooth.

Or maybe I should just go buy a lottery ticket.

shano said on August 9, 2014 at 2:17 p.m.

I have been playing private endless a lot with a friend who lives close by in the same state as me, and i can tell you now private endless is laggy as hell, worst version of the SF4 PC Netcode by far please fix and improve PC Netcode Capcom.

EnsignHiro said on August 9, 2014 at 2:30 p.m.

Can we all just agree that capcom didn't test this game out?

Riskbreakerz said on August 9, 2014 at 2:34 p.m.

its funny that its worse than GFWL now...

lh said on August 9, 2014 at 2:35 p.m.

l think Capcom has included some anti-lag-switch software technology, this version of sf4 is for long term fans so all the commercial stuff is being removed e.g. the advantages of the shotos, guile's powers, the non-penalising of rage quitters etc [doesn't marvel have a rage quitter hell, I wonder if ultra has one now as well] and maybe lag cheats are being dealt with finally

Kawalorn said on August 9, 2014 at 2:37 p.m.

Too bad they didn't fix it in the TWO FRIGGIN MONTHS the issue was present. What, did they think it would magicaly disappear when they release Ultra?

pressstart said on August 9, 2014 at 2:50 p.m.

Well, that explains why when I played a friend in endless private, it was pretty smooth like it used to be :)

Ett said on August 9, 2014 at 2:53 p.m.

Capcom is making Early acces games now.

poisonkissedura said on August 9, 2014 at 2:58 p.m.

SpiderUppercut said on August 9, 2014 at 3:06 p.m.

"They should have just stopped at 2012 edition"
They should have stopped after Super SF4 actually.

"I think capcom are determined to kill this game."
You're not the first to think that.

fuddadeluxe said on August 9, 2014 at 3:06 p.m.

Dont want to get technical in here, but if the problem is what I think it is, then it should be an easy fix. I recognioze this STUN protocoll pattern from VoIP services I work on. Usually VoIP clients have the option for the duration of which the handshake is renewed. It appears though, that there´s no limit set for this in the current net code. Once the handshake is done it should abort renewal until the next P2P connection is to be stablished. And let me tell you this, it was an EXTREMELY smart move to go for this option in the netcode, since more and more ISPs switch to CGN and DS instead of finally adopting IPv6. They just didnt think it through all the way. I reckon we´ll have a fix some time next week.

Swarm said on August 9, 2014 at 3:07 p.m.

1 man lobbie is hell on earth, though around 11pm french time (like yesterday) it's very smooth even against foreign people, Europe only which is odd

MRN_SirFoxington said on August 9, 2014 at 3:27 p.m.

Ok,Capcom,

So carry on and fix the online connectivity issues on the PS3 ASWELL.

No,its not working fine.

Clamper said on August 9, 2014 at 3:36 p.m.

They'll probably try to figure out a fix for PC first since it's easier to release patches and when it's finally good and stable patch the consoles version too.

Well that explains a lot, i played some friends online in endless just fine but never once found an even acceptable ranked match. Hope they come up with the fix fast.

MRN_SirFoxington said on August 9, 2014 at 3:49 p.m.

ok well that makes sense,so i hope they will find the solution for the PC as soon as possible and then try to fix the online lag for the consoles aswell.

And yeah recently it got so bad on the PSN to play a decent Endless online bout its so annoying,literally alot of people there got bad connections and a couple of people wrote each other messages to ask if they got the same problem....

i thought maybe Sony is messing with the PSN a bit but i dont think so ! it got bad since the Patch capcom released on Friday.

And forget about Ranked on PSN lol dont waste your TIME AND POINTS its redicilous.

bladefight0 said on August 9, 2014 at 3:57 p.m.

Just chiming in as someone who's relatively happy with PC USF4. Some ranked matches were fine. Some ranked matches lagged badly. Endless worked for me. I can play with my friends online with the PC version now.

I await the patches that address the pinging issue. Keep up the good work, if Capcom checks this.

Though I'll take this back and be super mad if the issue is still there in 6 months.

Phynx said on August 9, 2014 at 4:03 p.m.

Good to know about the Endless Lobbies! I wonder if that knowledge will help them narrow down the issue?

JRXP2011 said on August 9, 2014 at 4:23 p.m.

I want my damn trials.

mracesix said on August 9, 2014 at 4:29 p.m.

Here we go, from Steam :

A simple explanation of the solution (that is probably not perfect, but will do): It turns out that a lot of consumer grade modems and routers become overloaded when you ping multiple server requests (to find matches). Games that use Steamorks for matchmaking use Steam's infrastructure to perform these requests. GFWL performs less requests per second than Steam does, resulting in this new problem.

I went to Steam -> In-Game -> In-Game Server Browser: Max Pings/Minute and reduced this number from 5000 (automatic) to 1500 and my router issue instantly vanished.
But a "bizarre" side effect is that I'm no longer experiencing as much in-game lag either. I played multiple games with a person I was lagging with prior to changing these settings and the result is pretty clear: I'm back to relatively GFWL-esque latency levels in-game.

It's weird, because you wouldn't expect that the game would be performing server requests during actual matches... but maybe there's a reason it might.

Maybe this won't work for everyone, but it might explain why some people aren't experiencing additional lag (they had better equipment).

fawaz said on August 9, 2014 at 4:40 p.m.

Capcom must fix all the issues with the PC version or it will leave a bad impression on the PC community that the company only supports the consoles & is intentionally avoiding to fix the problems on the PC.

DarknessFallz said on August 9, 2014 at 4:46 p.m.

Testing game play and releasing working games is so 1997 right capcom?

Ammonites said on August 9, 2014 at 4:47 p.m.

PS3 problems for me. I cannot get the retail disc version to install and be playable without keeping the physical disc inserted. I think it is related to having my original disc as SSF4, then installing digital updates, then getting the pre-install of USF4. Because I can play my icon that says "SSF4 arcade edition" and pick Ultra characters. But I don't have all my costumes or the USF4 intro, etc.! Tried uninstalling all and reinstalling, but no luck. And it takes like 6 hours to do all that!!! Anybody else have this issue?

mrambitious said on August 9, 2014 at 4:56 p.m.

For people to claim its virtually unplayable is just false. I mustve played for 4 or 5 hours yesterday and didnt have any problems finding a game or problems with unplayable matches. I will not deny that even seemingly perfect connections will randomly get hit with insane lag mid match, but once it goes away again the match is back to normal. Overall the good connections are way better than good connections on console, but the on par or bad connections are just as annoying and frequent as on console.

My game also randomly quits / crashes during ranked quickmatch. Also the "freezing / lag like effect" during offline and training never happened once. I do have a powerful gaming cpu tho, and i am well above the minimum requirements. Even back when i had a much less powerful laptop, as long as the resolutions and settings are properly set up for your machine, you really shouldnt have any issues. My POS laptop ran ssf4ae2012 just fine (C rating) because i played at like half resolution and without any fancy particles or shadows. People shouldnt expect their best buy specials to run 1080p or higher USF4, but they do and lag up the matches. Word of advice: if your framerate drops 50% during a hadoken, your graphics settings are way too high.

mrambitious said on August 9, 2014 at 4:59 p.m.

Playstation and xbox stopped allowing you to play installed games without the disc because people were installing the same disc on multiple consoles. I actually dont think xboc ever let you, and ps3 did for a year or 2 but took it away.

yunggambino said on August 9, 2014 at 5:37 p.m.

endless was still laggy for me i played with somebody from ae2012 where the connection was pretty much perfect but all of a sudden its really laggy between us i even tried playing my friends on a private lobby where it still lagged.... friends live relatively close and now this lag has made things horrible i aint touching online til the next patch comes out

ItalianBoy said on August 9, 2014 at 5:48 p.m.

sometimes the character walk forward alone and sometime the autocorrect go crazy when having those spike lag issues

Ahh almost forgot CAPCOM HATE PC PEOPLE

meowmeowkittenz said on August 9, 2014 at 5:50 p.m.

The issues has been well documented on the steam forums since the switch from gfwl at the end of May. Sounds like they are going to take their first crack at it this Monday. Hopefully they actually fix it rather than just completely abandoning the pc version like they did with sfxt.

BK said on August 9, 2014 at 6:49 p.m.

Don't know why they wouldn't fix Super after they migrated to steam. At least if there were any problems after Ultra drops, it wouldn't be as bad to fix it.

TheTHCGamer said on August 9, 2014 at 7:05 p.m.

Ultra rushed?

rosy said on August 9, 2014 at 7:49 p.m.

To me after takes latest patchs, the network is much more improved. I have no encounter "waiting" message anymore. Playing online with green bar are much better than previous version. The only thing I dislike when finding a match rank or endless, they just keep showing all country. It would be wise if there are certain option, you could choose search by region such as south east asia region. I have good connection with that region. But at least, in the steam, I can join group which help me find match more easy.

rosy said on August 9, 2014 at 7:58 p.m.

At least this work for me too. When the first release AE on steam, It was very bad. After set to 1500 steam browser and try turn "off" Vsync also set framerate to "fixed" in game, it feels much better.

Green016 said on August 9, 2014 at 8:08 p.m.

Since Ultra was released on Steam? Uh, no the issues started as soon as we had to switch to Steam. The transfer screwed everything up, they had months to fix it and did nothing. Now they say they're aware of the issues lol. Seriously, gotta love the complete incompetence of this company my god.

RedCycloneKen said on August 10, 2014 at 12:11 a.m.

its broken, besides online, game froze up periodically for a split second (my rig runs the game maxed at ~300fps)

i have to admit though, when the connection is good, it is perfect, way better than the console (forget about ps3 lol). it feels like playing offline.

gif_dude said on August 10, 2014 at 6:38 a.m.

For people who can't play : host / search manually for 1v1 games.
Those are the only modes that works for me AND you get to choose a player with a good bandwith.
The time it takes to connect to his / your game is a good indicator of bandwidth.

tool said on August 10, 2014 at 8:28 a.m.

Capcom fix lag on steam!!! 4 months on steam and still plays like crap :(
Steam killed usf4 :(

madmonk25 said on August 10, 2014 at 9:10 a.m.

The game crashes when i try to do a ranked quick match. Not sure if this is just me or is anyone else having that issue?

konachin said on August 10, 2014 at 10:01 a.m.

lol So many good games to play and people still give this crappy one more attention than every other games combined. Sorry, but you all deserve Capcom sh!ting on your faces like they do constantly since SFxTK or even before.

Oh, and don't forget to buy the new alternates while you're waiting months for them to fix simple glitches.

Ultor said on August 10, 2014 at 10:58 a.m.

Have you wanted to STEAM, and now you will keep. I hope a fix will never go out!

YoungGuru said on August 10, 2014 at 5:06 p.m.

I'm getting severe frame rate issues. The game will run at over 100 FPS when I benchmark it but as soon as I go online it drops to what feels like 20 FPS. I don't even think my online games are that laggy but the frame rate plummets. It runs perfect in Arcade and Training mode too. I've tried Fixed, Variable and Smooth with the same results. VSYNC on of off makes no difference either.

mracesix said on August 10, 2014 at 6:34 p.m.

This ^

What i bought from Street Fighter 4 license is in total worth around 40 euros ( = near 50 dollars ) and i played it for 2000+ hours.So yeah there is good games around, but when you see the rentability of 95% of the other games you can't call that " a sh1t on your face "

Evil_ChunLi said on August 11, 2014 at 10:09 a.m.

If Capcom granted my wife Chun-Li improvements in "Ultra Street Fighter IV", she would have a solid anti-air attack, high stamina (1850); her "Kikoken" & "Spinning Bird Kick" movement key would change to a Quarter Circle Forward motion like Japan's favorite fanboys Ryu & Ken's Dragon Punch movement key. Both her Ultra's would do legitimate and powerful astounding damage.

Without any of those improvements listed above, Chun-Li is nothing more than a Ryona punching-bag and, another "Ragdoll Chun-Li" youtube video. Chun-Li's current state of gameplay is like she's trying to repel from being raped. Here is an example: turtle, back-it-up, turtle, back-it-up, turtle some more, use EX-spinning bird kick when opponent dive kicks/jumps-in, turtle and throw a fireball until your super meter is depleted and you have no choice but to deal with the corner trap and face TWO undesirable alternatives after one of your block counters fail: (1) Rag-Quit & (2) watch Chun-Li get raped & sodomized like a Ryona ragdoll.

In conclusion, I believe Capcom listened to the wrong individuals in regards to improving Chun-Li's gameplay for "Ultra" and, they're just prejudice toward Chun-Li being a Chinese woman who showcases power among dominate and super powerful males within the world of "Street Fighter IV". The message to Chun-Li, and all her fans is that women are just second-class citizens, and need to learn her place as a Ryona ragdoll. My wife Chun-Li's new slogan is: "The Weakest Woman In The World", not the strongest woman in the world. --When I play "Street Fighter IV", I don't play like you turtling weak Chun-Li players. I can play both offense and defense equally with perfection, but it isn't always easy. I'm going to send my thoughts on this disappointing subject directly to Capcom.

Evil_ChunLi said on August 11, 2014 at 10:10 a.m.

Evil_ChunLi said on August 11, 2014 at 10:17 a.m.

Eventhubs doesn't give the poster the damn option to delete their owns post. Didn't mean to post the same thing twice.

Dataman said on August 12, 2014 at 12:41 p.m.

It s unplayabllllllle!
Capcom,please call GGPO or Kaillera team!Do something!!

Azrael_VG said on August 14, 2014 at 11:29 a.m.

GGPO lol ....go try Third Strike and enjoy the GGPO lag.