EVO 2014 Killer Instinct champ CDjr picked up by new sponsor, The Steam Company

Posted by Cheng Kai 'KarbyP' Sim • August 3, 2014 at 1:07 p.m. PDT

Emmanuel "CDjr" Brito, your EVO 2014 champ for Killer Instinct and renowned Mortal Kombat and Injustice player, announced today on his Twitter stream that he is now a part of The Steam Company's pro gaming team.

SteamCo|CDjr is the second fighting games player to be signed on to the e-cigs vaping supplies maker, after SteamCo|Sanford Kelly.

Prior to joining The Steam Company's pro gaming team, CDjr had previously been sponsored by Kombat Network (KN) and Ruthless Mayhem (RM). According to Brito, now that he is a part of The Steam Co's team, KN and RM are considered sub-sponsors.

Source: @MKKI_CDjr; image credit: newchallengers

Comments

Wintry said on August 3, 2014 at 1:17 p.m.

Cool for CDjr, but...

... I dunno. I guess I wish it wasn't a vapor company? Don't attack me, plz BibleThump

flungdungfar said on August 3, 2014 at 1:17 p.m.

Glad to see people getting sponsors, but so many people jump on n off sponsors so frequently. I give this venture til next evo and then everyone will leave steamco for the next company looking to feed off the fame of others.

CaryKokujin said on August 3, 2014 at 1:29 p.m.

Not attacking you, but I'm not sure why a vapor company is an issue. Vaping is an alternative to smoking that doesn't harm the user or anyone around them, and The Steam Company has sponsored multiple fighting game tournaments in the past.

BlackGuile said on August 3, 2014 at 1:50 p.m.

Steamco loves whiney players it seems

MK_Trickylizard said on August 3, 2014 at 2:01 p.m.

Everyone at one point gets frustrated by a video game. Dont hate the man because he has done something that you will and could never do lol.....

BornFreeEH said on August 3, 2014 at 2:06 p.m.

Serious question. What exactly do the sponsors offer in return for their players wearing and promoting their brand? Is it worth it?

Is it a plane ticket and hotel? Expenses? Salary? What?

It looks like EG has set up their players with streams and specific advertisers so they can make some money. PR Balrog and Justin in particular.

Obviously there is prize money. But not a lot to go around.

I feel like even the top players are always on the breadline, or, they give off that impression.

SiberianHAMMY said on August 3, 2014 at 2:29 p.m.

Sponsors usually provide players the incentive to continue playing professionally i.e making sure their player is able to get out to the big tournaments to compete. Some sponsors allow players to earn a steady income so that they can play professionally full time. If it weren't for sponsors, we wouldn't have as many players, large prize pools, frequent tournaments, along with other things. The FGC is terrified of Esports but it has a lot of pros. It does have cons as well though.

Congrats to CDjr. The man puts in a ton of work when he dissects fighting games and is a really smart person. I'm sure he'll do a lot of great things under the sponsorship.

jonnitti said on August 3, 2014 at 3:12 p.m.

in all honesty, what are the cons to esports? i haven't heard anybody say something that wasn't along the lines of "we can't be as rowdy anymore"

NoizyChild said on August 3, 2014 at 3:15 p.m.

This man gets it.

Don't worry, CDjr will uphold his tradition of crying once MKX comes out.

Wintry said on August 3, 2014 at 3:19 p.m.

I know, and understand that it doesn't harm anyone but the user. But I guess that's the reason why it's off putting to me. I'm not a smoker/vapor-er(?), and I don't understand why someone would cause their own harm to their body. I dunno, I've had family who've smoked and have seen the consequences.

Again, I have the highest respect for CDjr and wish him well. It is his choice to make. Btw, it's refreshing to have a civil discussion on the internet for once. But maybe it's about time I keep these opinions to myself for once.

MK_Trickylizard said on August 3, 2014 at 3:24 p.m.

Someone is salty... Dont be jealous brah.

NoizyChild said on August 3, 2014 at 3:29 p.m.

lolwhat?

Don't get me wrong, he's not a bad player, but you can't deny that he cries and whines about every little thing that beats him.

I'm willing to be that he's responsible for most of the patches that Injustice got.

tidestick said on August 3, 2014 at 4:20 p.m.

Real men smoke cigarettes. #kappa

BlackGuile said on August 3, 2014 at 5:28 p.m.

Look out guys it's the one man cdjr fan club come to defend his sempai

BornFreeEH said on August 3, 2014 at 6:42 p.m.

Thanks I totally get that. I work in advertising.

I'm actually looking for very specific info on the top fighting game players and their sponsorships.

I'm going to assume that MadCatz and EG are the best sponsors.

Does anyone have any insight into what they physically provide the players with? Travel? Expenses? A salary?

A lot of players complain about being broke and everything is "hella expensive", etc.

AveMcree said on August 3, 2014 at 7:45 p.m.

yeah because winning one tourney for less money you could make at Mcdonalds a year is totally worth being broke all the time at tournaments that you dont win right?? RIGHT??.... -_-

Caius said on August 4, 2014 at 1:28 a.m.

That's the problem though, vaping is harmful to the user. Look up the studies yourself.

MK_Trickylizard said on August 4, 2014 at 2:01 a.m.

Hes not a bad player? he won EVO and beat J.wong for gods sake.

everyone at one point has complained about a game, it happens, let it go brah

and not. he is not responsible for any patches that INj has got. the developer knew what they wanted to fix, they just didnt have time.