Capcom Pro Tour adds $10,000 pot bonus to EVO 2014's Ultra Street Fighter 4 tournament

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • April 25, 2014 at 11:32 a.m. PDT

The Evolution Championship Series and Capcom Pro Tour are teaming up to raise the competitive stakes this year. Firstly, EVO 2014's Ultra Street Fighter 4 tournament will utilize the Capcom Pro Tour ranking system in order to assist with the seeding process. The top eight players will be seeded on the CPT's ranking system accordingly during the USF4 portion of the event.

But that's not all. The Capcom Pro Tour is adding an extra $10,000 to the Ultra Street Fighter 4 tournament's total prize pool.

Additionally, EVO 2014 is being given their own "EVO Tier" Pro Tour points, meaning the winner will be awarded with four times the amount of points as those who win a premiere event.

If you needed any more incentive to compete at EVO this year, this may give you the push you were looking for.

Source: Capcom Pro Tour.

Comments

Blackoshinomi said on April 25, 2014 at 11:33 a.m.

kool

thec0re3 said on April 25, 2014 at 11:36 a.m.

Dang hope there going to be some new folks coming out the wood works for this fight money!!

Ascender said on April 25, 2014 at 11:38 a.m.

Nothing but good news this makes everyone even more hungry for the win. And it will reinvigorate some people to get them to enter. This Evo will be an amazing one for SF4.

David_I said on April 25, 2014 at 11:38 a.m.

This will bring in/encourage more entrants to signup for USF4. Unbelievable.

evo546 said on April 25, 2014 at 11:40 a.m.

Good Job Capcom.

Aluppoj said on April 25, 2014 at 11:41 a.m.

Capcom so GDLK!

Way to support the community and your game!

tidestick said on April 25, 2014 at 11:41 a.m.

they should just give the 10k to the winner. Winner takes all.

nusense said on April 25, 2014 at 11:42 a.m.

More money could of been added to last years evo, but they decided to sponsor VxG....

PandorasCrate said on April 25, 2014 at 11:45 a.m.

This is awesome! I know a lot of people out there have some issues with Capcom, but this just shows their love and support of their game and the FGC. I fully intend to attend EVO this year, though I don't expect to do well in the tournament at all, I just want to go to have fun and witness the greatest tournament of the year! I'll be dusting off my mingling cap and brushing up on my social skills. :p

evo546 said on April 25, 2014 at 11:45 a.m.

I prefer top 8 get some cash with that 10k pot bonus.

Sagateee said on April 25, 2014 at 11:46 a.m.

TheTHCGamer said on April 25, 2014 at 11:48 a.m.

Daigo's the best probably ever up until this point but tell me when was the last time he win EVO? In too if that he's been laying laying low up until just recently.

tidestick said on April 25, 2014 at 11:52 a.m.

I prefer winner takes all

SnakeX said on April 25, 2014 at 11:52 a.m.

An extra 10,000 is pretty nice. USF4 at EVO is gonna be intense.

MCZ_Ryu said on April 25, 2014 at 11:53 a.m.

Good stuff. That means $10K Bison Dollars will go into Marvel for Evo.

sarif2soon said on April 25, 2014 at 11:53 a.m.

Evo isn't everything, you know...

This guy is targeting top players, adding them to his "To Body" list, and then moving them to his "Bodied" list one by one.

nusense said on April 25, 2014 at 11:56 a.m.

I'm sure first will at least get 10 to 15k. Last year first got around 6k and that was with no prize bonus from capcom. This year we have Capcom fully on board and Microsoft sponsoring the event.

ShinzoBishamon said on April 25, 2014 at 11:57 a.m.

The Pot for USF4 should go to 2-8 and the winner should be the one to get 10K prize not 1-16. Thats how it was done for KOF at the Cafeid tournament Tokido walked away with all 10K.

PropLeXed said on April 25, 2014 at 11:58 a.m.

Great news, good job capcom.

Asgardwolf said on April 25, 2014 at noon

Totally agree...

Zanpakto said on April 25, 2014 at 12:03 p.m.

Awesome news hopefully every year they can continue to do this, definitely will bring out more international players good job another step in the right direction :)

TheTHCGamer said on April 25, 2014 at 12:11 p.m.

Never said it was I was letting Sagateee know that Daigo isn't an automatic to win EVO. Also EVO might not be everything but it is the biggest event which means the one most people will remember. Not only that but the hardest one to win when you include how many players you have to beat. It's hard to maintain a high level of play against so many players. Also what list as I stated Daigo hasn't been competing that much as of late until just recently.

What id personally love is if Daigo gave into his addictive personality and started playing all the time before EVO. I mean it's already crazy how good he is when you take into consideration he doesn't practice anywhere near the amount as other players.

TrueQ86 said on April 25, 2014 at 12:12 p.m.

Very good news. Like someone said before me this will make players more hungry. I'm so excited for evo

ltalia90 said on April 25, 2014 at 12:13 p.m.

Good news. Higher stakes, more entrants travelling from around the world.

I usually want Daigo to win everything he enters, but I hope Sako can take this fight money and treat his family to something special.

aoi said on April 25, 2014 at 12:13 p.m.

My Fight Munneh!

xYomiLord420x said on April 25, 2014 at 12:14 p.m.

Good on Capcom for slowly starting to support the SF community more. Also it would be cool if Evo started to do crowd funding like CEO is doing this year, many people that can't go still want to support the tournament and this would be a good way in doing so.

Slidikins said on April 25, 2014 at 12:16 p.m.

Definitely a step in the right direction, but one of many steps that need to be made. The FGC still needs to find a way to monetize itself better, both for companies and players. Capcom tossing in $10,000 isn't news to me when Starladder 9 (DotA) started at a $80,000 pool and went to $229,000. TI3 was at a $2.8m pool when it was done. The upcoming TI4 sold out its tickets in an hour and some of those tickets were $500. An additional $10k makes this feel more like an amateur tournament than a major. (Again, my opinion.)

Another $10k in the pool is nice, but it still seems like pennies compared to other games. And FGC players are putting in just as much work.

diddykv said on April 25, 2014 at 12:17 p.m.

Remondo02 said on April 25, 2014 at 12:33 p.m.

Strider_Hien said on April 25, 2014 at 12:36 p.m.

Capcom showing love for the FGC! I've just imagined the beasts that must have awoken,just by looking at "$10,000".The Satsui-no-Hadou will reach new levels there! Ultra Street Fighter 4 + killer pot bonus=EVO of ages.X_X

k20rd said on April 25, 2014 at 12:54 p.m.

That is a nice addition. The 10k will be distributed among the top 16, so I'm assuming 1st place will get ~5k. Still good, but first place better get at least 20k when Topanga League pays 15k for a 7 man tournament.

BionicRebel said on April 25, 2014 at 12:57 p.m.

Whatsup with the damn pop-ups lately on Eventhubs, or is this just me?... Any news on this staff?

djm0001 said on April 25, 2014 at 1:03 p.m.

MY BIKE MONNEEEYYY

Sage_Liebert said on April 25, 2014 at 1:13 p.m.

that 10,000 could have went towards Rival Schools development. specifically Batsu character model.

Tryken said on April 25, 2014 at 1:33 p.m.

I really have to give it to Capcom. I feel like in the past year or so they've finally figured out that they have to lead the competitive scene of Street Fighter in similar fashion to Riot and LoL. It's not nearly at the level I want, but the steps have certainly been in the right direction.

BoozerX said on April 25, 2014 at 2:32 p.m.

Focusflute said on April 25, 2014 at 3:08 p.m.

Wow maybe now whoever wins can pay for their food, hotel, entry fees, and plane ticket home.

chipndip said on April 25, 2014 at 3:18 p.m.

But Capcom's greedy and we should boycott their stupid @$$e$, right guys? ArcSys all day, ere day, right guys!?

Come on...sing it with me! "Craaaap-cooooommmmm suuuuuuuucksssss! Nothing buuuuuut taaaaaaaaketh aaaaawwaaaaay meh moneeeehhhhh! DLC for lyrical prowess pllleeeeeeeeaaaasssseeee!!!"

arcadifvid said on April 25, 2014 at 4:02 p.m.

I thought Capcom has a lot of financial troubles?

SpiderUppercut said on April 25, 2014 at 4:39 p.m.

"Meanwhile Daigo got 15k for the Topanga World League alone, and is still not ranked in the Pro Tour standings."

He also won Dreamhack.

I generally don't pay any attention to these U.S. based FGC ranking sites nor the Capcom Pro Tour to reflect who the best players in the world are.

But they are a good way of attracting some new blood I guess.

TheTHCGamer said on April 25, 2014 at 4:59 p.m.

10,000 dollars isn't going to make or break a company like CAPCOM even with financial troubles. Besides that 10,000 is being used to advertise USFIV.

edrigo said on April 25, 2014 at 5:09 p.m.

thanks for that

edrigo said on April 25, 2014 at 5:11 p.m.

thanks for that too

diddykv said on April 25, 2014 at 6:34 p.m.

I know, but I believe Dreamhack happened before the first Capcom Cup, and my point is that TWL should've granted Daigo a spot on the second.

Xykes said on April 25, 2014 at 6:39 p.m.

If this were an article about something "negative" that Capcom did, this place would have 300 comments by now.

But, Capcom giving free money to the FGC...AGAIN? Meh. 40-50 commetns.

REMEMBER THIS MOMENT THE NEXT TIME YOU CALL CAPCOM GREEDY.

They didn't have to do this. There are plenty of other, cheaper ways to promote USF4, but they chose the one that puts money directly into the FGC's pockets.

Xykes said on April 25, 2014 at 6:41 p.m.

"Slowly"?

Capcom has been supporting and sponsoring FGC events for years.

spotlesseden said on April 25, 2014 at 8:42 p.m.

what's the release date for Ultra Street Fighter 4? Amazon's release date can't be right since it was after evo.

spotlesseden said on April 25, 2014 at 8:48 p.m.

This, 10k is not much money. IF evo doesn't know how to use it, winning evo will be still less than alot of tournaments.
I hope they don't use that money to pay 1 to 16. lol

DexterWylde said on April 25, 2014 at 8:50 p.m.

Its correct cuz that's for the physical release, digital releases june

dorayaki said on April 25, 2014 at 9:33 p.m.

i love when broke a$$ kids say 10k isn't a lot of money. Stfu.

i do agree that watering that pot bonus down will take away from the excitement though. top 3 or 4 should get the breakdown. Either way, I'm not getting any so I can't say much but the intensity that'll take place to get a piece of the pot will be hype if it's top 3,4. 1-16, not so much.

dorayaki said on April 25, 2014 at 9:36 p.m.

Well, Nemo will probably make about $10k this time around if he hasn't scared away all challengers.