Skullgirls Encore, Squigly, and Big Band now available on Xbox 360

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • April 23, 2014 at 9 a.m. PDT

Skullgirls fans who play primarily on Xbox, rejoice. It seems that Lab Zero and Microsoft have now officially released Skullgirls Encore, the update that adds a slew of game changes, on Xbox 360 in North America. Encore is free to anyone who already owns the original Skullgirls download, and for new buyers, the game will run you $14.99 USD.

Not only can 360 users download the update, but both DLC characters, Squigly and Big Band, are also live. You can download both fighters, free of charge, for the first 3 months of their release.

You'll have to download the compatibility update, (or re-download it), before you can begin playing Encore. The update comes in at a file size of 823MB, while the DLC characters are a little over 100KB each.

Some have reported that last week's title update may have to be deleted before downloading the new content, so if you're experiencing any trouble, be sure to zap that file.

Source: The official Skullgirls Facebook page. Tips sent in by Taizuku and Oroku_Saki.

Comments

Geniuzz said on April 23, 2014 at 9:07 a.m.

Playing Squiggly in Story Mode as we speak. Awesome stuff. Thanks Lab Zero!!!

GammaChemical said on April 23, 2014 at 9:12 a.m.

any word for ps3?

Taizuku said on April 23, 2014 at 9:15 a.m.

That's all out for PS3 already.

Scourge739 said on April 23, 2014 at 9:16 a.m.

My body. It has been ready for a long time.

U4iA27 said on April 23, 2014 at 9:22 a.m.

do i have to erase and redownload the game again? cuz its not working. i still have the version konami was involved with

Taizuku said on April 23, 2014 at 9:24 a.m.

Yes if you have regular Skullgirls, delete it and download Skullgirls Encore. You should have gotten a voucher for a free copy when it came out? Check your inbox. Unless you're talking about Xbox version. Not sure how that's going to work out.

Geniuzz said on April 23, 2014 at 9:34 a.m.

You just have to download the Required Compatibility DLC thing again, and then it will automatically upgrade to Encore.

Helios86 said on April 23, 2014 at 9:35 a.m.

IB4 "This game is dead" haters.

U4iA27 said on April 23, 2014 at 9:35 a.m.

xbox version. the cover art is encore but the name display under it is still just skullgirls. when i go into the game it tells me i need to download the latest content to play online.but the marketplace doesn't have a specific Encore update and i just deleted and redownloaded the game again and still nothing. i even tried downloading both chars and still nothing and i never received any voucher for encore even though i bought the original.

Iphantom said on April 23, 2014 at 9:37 a.m.

From what I understand the Xbox update is just a patch with no extra fuss like playstation had to do. Well besides actually getting the patch out on Lab Zero's end. That seemed like quite a bit of fuss.

Superpeople said on April 23, 2014 at 9:38 a.m.

rosy said on April 23, 2014 at 9:38 a.m.

It is time we need other fighting game footage.

Paradonyx said on April 23, 2014 at 9:41 a.m.

Yes, people should know that for 360, Encore is an update. On PS3, it counts as a "separate" game.

Both are still free if you already own Skullgirls of course.

IcyKnee said on April 23, 2014 at 9:41 a.m.

Like magic....just asked on another story when this would be available for xbox. I refreshed my page and its here!

mrdrofficer said on April 23, 2014 at 9:45 a.m.

Super excited. I supported the kickstarter for the beta access(which I can't use ... mac bootcamp won't support it. boo. But it's my bad.) and am thrilled I can finally play as these characters at home on my TE. I may have to buy the game again on 360, but who cares. I've spent about $60 for a $15 download title but to me it's basically a full release anyway.

I'm still jealous of PC dudes though.

29once said on April 23, 2014 at 9:47 a.m.

Once again, like when Squigly came out, Sony messed up:
Big Band is available on psn Europe but NOT free, so hold on before downloading the character, it should't be 5€ like it lists right now.

ScarletTerror said on April 23, 2014 at 9:56 a.m.

Just to let you know, after you beat her story mode you'll be locked in for one palette every time you use her. Same thing for Big Band. It is a bug. The developers know this, and hope to resolve it soon.

ScarletTerror said on April 23, 2014 at 9:59 a.m.

Well for the 360 version at least, and hopefully most.

Jason said on April 23, 2014 at 10:03 a.m.

If you are having problems with the update, please delete the broken ~20mb compatibility update and redownload the correct one.

Microsoft screwed up the update and released a broken "patch" on Monday that didn't properly update the game.

Delete the previous update patch from your HD and redownload the latest one.

ShinAkiraDesu said on April 23, 2014 at 10:04 a.m.

sexbox users rejoice!!!

Kurow said on April 23, 2014 at 10:06 a.m.

This updated takes too much time that the hype is already dead..

Baller2765 said on April 23, 2014 at 10:21 a.m.

Still having problems with mine and Ive redownloaded the update at least 5 times now. I didnt download the update released on Monday that was broken so what is the problem? Please help

Kongk4 said on April 23, 2014 at 10:27 a.m.

Ask them on twitter or facebook for help, they'll probably will respond with the specific details you need.

xShonuffx said on April 23, 2014 at 10:41 a.m.

Sounds like a personal problem brother. Instead of worrying about how much hype the game has, why not just play and enjoy the game itself. People do play it.

Really though if you guys want these games to be relevant you have to play them. They are not going to play themselves.

Enter4none said on April 23, 2014 at 10:49 a.m.

Got it! please don't wake me up from this dream... or give 15 min more because it would be just too cruel to end it after so many months.

... and yes PC/PS3 had all the goods for months, that's great, just know that not all PC/console users are petty fanboys that get off on trolling others' (robo) fortune, so just let the good news flow.

AkumaShadow said on April 23, 2014 at 10:56 a.m.

When's Andy the Anvil?

Spaghetti_Time said on April 23, 2014 at 11:06 a.m.

Squigly <3

CyberAthlete said on April 23, 2014 at 11:08 a.m.

If anyone is having problems you need to delete the little 7mb update microsoft pushed out and go into the dlc section for skullgirls and download the Required compatibility update its like 830mbs.

Jason said on April 23, 2014 at 11:12 a.m.

- On Xbox360, Big Band and Squigly aren't selectable outside of Story Mode, and the game says they're colors are locked. This is a bug. We are trying to get this fixed as soon as possible. There is a separate Color Pack DLC that should come out later today (4/23) that will fix this issue. HOWEVER, this Color Pack DLC is supposed to be free, and we're told that when it does come out, it won't be. We're also told that it will take at least 4 days for the price to be changed.
WORKAROUND: "If you press X, or whatever button you have set for LP, it will select the character with their default skin." Thank you, Tom!

The Curse is back in full force. :(

U4iA27 said on April 23, 2014 at 11:16 a.m.

thanks. got it to work. was a bit confused cuz the req. update was check marked as if i downloaded it already.

godfist314 said on April 23, 2014 at 11:25 a.m.

I know that PC versions of fighting games lag behind consoles, but I can wait. Ultra SF4 on PC 3 months after consoles? Fine with me. Zillions of other games to play.

As far as skullgirls goes...I'd just buy it for the art and nice graphics. I dont care about the gameplay/competitive side. If it ever gets below $5 in a sale year's end then maybe I'll get it.

srkiller001 said on April 23, 2014 at 11:26 a.m.

How did you get it to work because I tried everything abs it's still not working for me :(

godfist314 said on April 23, 2014 at 11:29 a.m.

Doing combos in FG's are hard enugh as they are. Am I correct that I heard that the creators of SG *intentionalyl* made combo inputs more difficult on purpose? I mean that's fine but I fire up SF4 AE PC, go into tuturial mode and do Ryu EX Hurricane, Super, Ultra juggle specificially because I love doing that combo and it doesnt take me very long to warm up and execute it successfully.

Jason said on April 23, 2014 at 11:37 a.m.

No, actually execution in Skullgirls isn't too hard. All the hits have a decent amount of hitstop for easy confirms and there's a pretty big input buffer for combo execution.

There are no special or super move inputs that are harder than a DP motion or a 360 (taunts have intentionally complicated inputs just because, they are taunts).

With that said, combos in Skullgirls are fairly long, so you'll still need some practice to get things down.

Mike_Z said on April 23, 2014 at 11:48 a.m.

Not sure where you heard that, but it's the opposite of true.
(I guess that'd be...false...)
In fact, the reason you see the "geez combos in Skullgirls are so looooong" complaints is because *most* people can do combos that in other games are much more difficult. Combos are the same length in other games, just not until you've spent forever practicing them.

Taunts, specifically, have difficult inputs because they are taunts.

Paradonyx said on April 23, 2014 at 12:16 p.m.

Hey Mike Z, how do we unlock the stages and color palletes for Squigly and Big Band? I've already beaten story mode with both of them, and arcade on easy with Squigly only...

Or is it a secret? Haha

FalsoL said on April 23, 2014 at 12:28 p.m.

What kind of guys are working in SCEE?
Once again a free DLC is 5€ in EU store

DestinyZX1 said on April 23, 2014 at 12:33 p.m.

Okay, getting me Skullgirls Encore along with these two new characters.

spambot said on April 23, 2014 at 1:28 p.m.

What where'd you hear that? In fact lab zero actively makes the the inputs easier. The increased the input buffer making chains a breeze, 360 motions are easy, there's a generous window for links. Really Skullgirls is the most accessible game I've played.

Sage_Liebert said on April 23, 2014 at 1:41 p.m.

Big Band is awesome

EagleBirdMan said on April 23, 2014 at 1:52 p.m.

I don't think it's supposed to be that way. In fact I think its a bug, because on PS3, you don't need to unlock the stages or their colors.

I've been hoping to find out how to fix this since I got it.

Scourge739 said on April 23, 2014 at 1:56 p.m.

I did what Jason said, delete the update and redownload the required update again. even after i did that, it's still giving me the same message when i start up the game:you do not have the compatibility update to play online or something like that.

someone please help.

RedEther said on April 23, 2014 at 2:03 p.m.

I've been waiting for this! Time to get into Skullgirls :)

wessygator said on April 23, 2014 at 2:22 p.m.

the first update had nothing to do with MS and everything to do with Konami crap.

AugustAPC said on April 23, 2014 at 2:37 p.m.

'bout damn time! Downloading now!

Mike_Z said on April 23, 2014 at 3:29 p.m.

Yeah, there seems to be a bug with the savedata, I'm not really sure what's up with it.
Try deleting the save (or moving your savedata somewhere the game can't see it if you are afraid) and off your new save things should unlock properly.

Gomen ne.

Yung said on April 23, 2014 at 3:54 p.m.

JOIN THE BIG BAND !

Galletano said on April 23, 2014 at 4:50 p.m.

Big Band is amazing he has the best story.

Coocoopaper said on April 23, 2014 at 5:12 p.m.

YEAH BOII

Enter4none said on April 23, 2014 at 6:04 p.m.

Would a hot fix be possible/available along with the update of the color palette price to free on market place?

In any case, thank you for your patience with this whole deal, must be as suffocating as being born a Kardashian.

godfist314 said on April 23, 2014 at 6:30 p.m.

Thanks for the correction there Mike Z! Good to hear.

AveMcree said on April 23, 2014 at 6:47 p.m.

OMG Mike Z I wanna make love to you right now.... finally I have a reason to turn my xbox on again!!!

MaverickHunterX said on April 23, 2014 at 9:21 p.m.

Hopefully the Skullgirls profile would be updated to include Big Band in the characters being used.

MaysTheCraze said on April 23, 2014 at 9:57 p.m.

Hey, Mike-Z, is Double's 'Flesh Step' a Bleach reference?

lukenvoy said on April 24, 2014 at 10:51 a.m.

the wait is over!

tidestick said on April 24, 2014 at 5:36 p.m.

I breaking tendons in my right hand practicing Squiggly stance cancels into hit. #Myhandhurts