New 'Super Arts' series takes a look back at classic fighting game artwork and design: An X-Men vs. Street Fighter retrospective

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • April 23, 2014 at 4:18 p.m. PDT

Steering away from his play-through/commentary videos for a bit, Maximilian has created a brand new series that takes a closer look at the art and design of classic fighting games.

The first fighter to get the retrospective treatment is none other than the classic "vs." title, X-Men vs. Street Fighter.

Max gives a quick history lesson on how the game came into existence, and discusses character designs, overall art-style, and more.

This video is very informative and brings that beautiful nostalgic feeling up to the surface. Max plans on taking a look back at other classic fighting games, so feel free to make a request in the comments section of his video.

Hit the jump to view this awesome X-Men vs. Street Fighter art retrospective.

Comments

Shinkutatsumaki said on April 23, 2014 at 4:32 p.m.

Wow I never fully understood how much it took to make this game the legend that it is. Now I see why I loved it so much.

MANDINGO said on April 23, 2014 at 4:48 p.m.

MANDINGO said on April 23, 2014 at 5 p.m.

SeriphAngel said on April 23, 2014 at 5:07 p.m.

I was just thinking of this game too. I irony is real.

MatheViB said on April 23, 2014 at 5:17 p.m.

You are right DreamKing, that was one awesome 4 minutes and 50 seconds well spent XD

HyperGadoken said on April 23, 2014 at 5:34 p.m.

Maximilian sucks. That's all.

Capcom_Warrior said on April 23, 2014 at 5:40 p.m.

Cool video Max!

I still have my X-Men Vs Street Fighter for the Sega Saturn. They only released it in Japan so I had to buy a Pro Action Replay catrtridge that pluged into the back of my Saturn just to play Japanese games. So sick. I should break it out. I haven't played it in years. :-)

Wintry said on April 23, 2014 at 5:44 p.m.

Wasn't Max a graphic designer or something at one point? If so, makes sense he would be able to appreciate the hard work that went into art in games. Love the series, I'd like to see Super Turbo next.

mustain21 said on April 23, 2014 at 5:54 p.m.

Ryu looks like he's crying in that banner picture. It's like he's yelling: "Why Decapreeeeeeeee???"

ryuhayabusa13 said on April 23, 2014 at 6:06 p.m.

Love the art of this series, too bad most of Capcom's art team has left and now the ones left only working on Darkstalkers 4 and whatever surprise game is coming. Akiman, Kinu Nishimura and Bengus are definitely my favorites. Daigo Ikeno is cool too, and was the one responsible for the designs on SF4.

There's tons more who worked on many of these awesome 2d and Vs series, but most are only freelance artists now.

Wish Capcom brought something in the Stylized toon shading with the art quality of the 2d VS and alpha series. (marvel is out of question since they are blocked and limited by Marvel/Disney on bringing back cool characters like Gambit, Rogue,Psylocke,etc)

cinnamonpirate said on April 23, 2014 at 6:37 p.m.

Oh man, I want a port of this game so bad. While I'm at it, a Cannon Spike 2 would be most welcome.

Toomnyusernae said on April 23, 2014 at 6:51 p.m.

Roe was amazing in this game because she could mimic her opponent's special move like Zangief's piledriver after touching them.

metaf4 said on April 23, 2014 at 7:07 p.m.

Sigh....you know you can always depend on a #6 troll comment on every post on EventHubs. I'm slowly getting numb to it...but it still stings the nerves.

Kenmasters101 said on April 23, 2014 at 7:54 p.m.

GG max

perfume said on April 23, 2014 at 8:06 p.m.

Aluppoj said on April 23, 2014 at 8:33 p.m.

Great vid Max! Love fighting game art!

Alpha series or SF3 series please!

Strider_Hien said on April 23, 2014 at 8:46 p.m.

I still hold Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter as my Saturn's crowning achievement.That beautiful 2D being displayed on the 24' CRT of yesteryear is an unforgettable experience.

The one and only time I went and skipped a class was because I received news of the XVSSF machine that arrived at my local arcade.Even after all this time,I haven't been able to forget it(due to my goody 2 shoes nature) It was exhilarating......and the game?!?!?!? Priceless.Between SFA2 and XVSSF,it's a miracle the Saturn still works.(And when I found Mech Gouki on my own.....OH MY DAYS!!!!! X_X)

I've been against the trolling behavior against Capcom for quite a while.But....deep down,I understand them.When Capcom churned some timeless classics throughout many years....sprinkling some sweet childhood memories through their creations and then,changing a lot of the strategy to meet market and shareholder demands is a hard pill to swallow for some.

We must be patient.....I still hope for a arcade renaissance,2D making a comeback and overall unity between players.Death will find me believing this.

Thanks for this,Max.

Lemres said on April 23, 2014 at 8:57 p.m.

Looking at the banner art, I really miss when Cammy was a doll. I felt like she had more of a story then and wasn't as boring as she kinda is now.

put_Garuda_in_SFIV said on April 23, 2014 at 9:21 p.m.

Sweet! Are there more chapters from more games (SF EX2 *wink* *wink*)? I really enjoyed this

AkumaShadow said on April 23, 2014 at 10:37 p.m.

I remember back in the day one of the guys at my school said "dude there's an X-Men vs Street Fighter Arcade at Video Centro (name of my local arcade place) is crazy!!!" I said "WHAT? X-MEN?" then went to play the game and I was amazed by the colorful graphics and huge full-screen super combos I miss those days

superpan619 said on April 23, 2014 at 11:19 p.m.

'We'll always have Decapre for that! Kappa

Ariesno said on April 23, 2014 at 11:50 p.m.

"""""""X-MEN VS STREET FIGHTER REBORN"""""""""DO IT CAPCOM!!!

Neobrown said on April 24, 2014 at 12:18 a.m.

Very, very short.. but sweet, I guess.

Neobrown said on April 24, 2014 at 12:21 a.m.

We'll never have another game like this, until Disney is finished having their fun

Cauptain said on April 24, 2014 at 3:36 a.m.

Best VS game ever...

Sasuga said on April 24, 2014 at 4:11 a.m.

If Capcom releases another crossover title like XMvsSF, with a 6 button layout, I'll play it. I'll play it 'till my hands bleed.

Lordd_G said on April 24, 2014 at 7 a.m.

That teenage boy was also me...

I remember working at JCPenney's in the mall after school dreaming of getting a PSX (PS1 to you young'uns) to play it at home. Of course when I finally did, the PSX version paled in comparison to the arcade version since it wasn't really a true tag team game due to PSX's RAM limitations.

Blackoshinomi said on April 24, 2014 at 7:26 a.m.

This game sucks some coins outta me lol I used to play this on the bases willed my mom was at work all the time !

old_school_rival said on April 24, 2014 at 8:44 a.m.

I was lucky enough to have an arcade 10 minutes away from my school, sometimes I used to play x vs SF during my lunch hour. I still play this on my Saturn and it's still a damn good game.

Capcom_Warrior said on April 24, 2014 at 10:45 a.m.

Same with me. I remember the limitations. I used to give my friends a hard time about playing it on PS1. I had the Saturn version which I believe was an exact port. Playing the original SF2 on SNES and Genesis was pretty rough too. Not even close to an arcade port. It was better than nothing though! :-)

mouse501 said on April 25, 2014 at 11:30 a.m.

this game was so much fun