The science of Hadouken: Man who seemingly channeled energy to ignite paper with bare hands inspired Street Fighter Assassin's Fist team

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • April 22, 2014 at 10:56 p.m. PDT

Whether or not you believe in ki or chi, you might find it interesting to know that the creators of Street Fighter Assassin's Fist drew inspiration to tell the story behind one the franchise's most iconic moves from a 1970's documentary called Ring of Fire: An Indonesian Odyssey.

A man believed to be named John Chang at one point seemingly ignited a piece of paper with his bare hands, and said he was able to do this by channeling inner energy, often referred to as chi or ki in Chinese or Japanese culture, respectively.

The Assassin's Fist's creators show footage of this happening from the documentary and talk about how this segment and other legends of channeling energy inspired them to tell the tale of how Ryu, Ken and others could harness and release this power in their series.

They also offer more of a look at the series they're working on, showing short segments of action featuring the main cast members.

Hit the jump to view the video.

Video from IGN. Ryu image from El-Grimlock.

Comments

sleepless75 said on April 22, 2014 at 11:03 p.m.

Ok.. Then how about sonic boom?

DMAN367 said on April 22, 2014 at 11:06 p.m.

Funny how much the guy who plays Ken looks like Tom Cruise.

MyBlock said on April 22, 2014 at 11:10 p.m.

I'm scared of all the previews, I really just wanna see the series already.

I remember all the hype that came with SF Legacy a few years back. So much hype and a lot of people thought of it as a let down.

This new series looks good, it's just I don't wanna get my hopes up if the end result is just ok. As long as it's as good as MK Legacy I'll be happy

KarbyP said on April 22, 2014 at 11:26 p.m.

"John Chang" is secretly John Choi under an alias.

...It all makes sense now. This man knows the secrets and science behind The Hadouken.

Pachendrix said on April 22, 2014 at 11:32 p.m.

Sure, and Jaylen really did transform into a super saiyans. Child please!

mustain21 said on April 22, 2014 at 11:36 p.m.

"A sonic boom is the sound associated with the shock waves created by an object travelling through the air faster than the speed of sound. Sonic booms generate enormous amounts of sound energy, sounding much like an explosion."

I personally believe that flatulence is the closest a human could ever get to wielding that power. With enough beans in your diet, you could theoretically kill a man or a small pony.

Alpharyu said on April 22, 2014 at 11:38 p.m.

Wow!

AAKZ said on April 22, 2014 at 11:46 p.m.

I can't believe people fall for that silly Chinese chi BS. So embarrassing.

Risk said on April 22, 2014 at 11:52 p.m.

OMG this is so amazing the next world war will be fought using only shotos!

SqueakyBloom said on April 22, 2014 at 11:53 p.m.

And here I thought they were just big fans of Dragon Ball.

Captainbuttocks said on April 22, 2014 at 11:53 p.m.

I hope they pullout this movie soon. So much hype around it that Im afraid itll be Decapre all over again.

xShonuffx said on April 22, 2014 at 11:57 p.m.

Really? I think they are acting pretty tamed about it. I am excited for it.

If your expecting some big Oscar winning special effects acting or whatever you need to bring your expectations down and just enjoy it for what it is. Even if its not that great it will be 100 times better than any Street Fighter movie since then.

AAKZ said on April 22, 2014 at 11:59 p.m.

"Decapre" should be a FGC term for when hype is killed. The counter-hype. For example, "I was dating this super hot girl, but then I found out she had AIDS. Man did I get Decapre'd!"

Megatonbeef said on April 23, 2014 at 12:12 a.m.

I once thought I won the lottery, Then I found out the news paper printed the wrong numbers. I got Decapre'd hard that day.

TheOtherTensei said on April 23, 2014 at 12:56 a.m.

I was decapre'd online by a random player. Just earlier, I thought I would hit 2000pp in one night.

On a more serious note, that is quite the interesting inspiration.

Rye_Aka_SekaiSenshi said on April 23, 2014 at 1:48 a.m.

Actually you could do that for real. I did it myself once, and even grabbed fire with my hand from a burning pipe. The one's you see in sink that are white/plastic. I didn't really grab it, just sort of went close to it then I sorta placed my right hand near it and pulled it and it got on my hand but I didn't even get any burn marks at all. Very true story, wish I had a camera back then. Only people who saw it were my friend and brother. True story.

caruga said on April 23, 2014 at 1:53 a.m.

You mean some people can't do this?

GammaChemical said on April 23, 2014 at 3:32 a.m.

Chi/Ki/Energy whatever you want to refer it is real. Its depicted in many movies such as Star Wars and many shows like DBZ. Even the medical community accepts it. Look at Reiki healing. Everything is based off something. There is truth to everything.

irrenmann said on April 23, 2014 at 3:42 a.m.

^

First time I've ever seen someone use Star Wars and DBZ as proof something is real.

Magic powers are pretend, kids.

tktktk43 said on April 23, 2014 at 4:18 a.m.

If the cast and crew of Assassin's fist believe that documentary things aren't looking too good. It's been proven that it was all a gimmick a while back already.

HeatEXTEND said on April 23, 2014 at 4:31 a.m.

Yo Dynamo Jack references on Eventhubs ?

This was a good day.

HeatEXTEND said on April 23, 2014 at 4:32 a.m.

source plz

samuraix025 said on April 23, 2014 at 5:12 a.m.

I hope you were being sarcastic otherwise you might need to outside more and put the waifu pillow away

edrigo said on April 23, 2014 at 5:52 a.m.

Pseudo science in movies can be tricky but it's seems like well thought out referencing on their part. I'll be looking forward to this.

Sasuga said on April 23, 2014 at 6:44 a.m.

uhhhm... Chi and ki mean something like 'mind' or 'heart'. Those are not magic powers, at least not for the majority of mankind.

BlackOnyxThunder said on April 23, 2014 at 6:46 a.m.

Lol, the guy who is playing Ken "looked" like what the hell is this guy talking about?

GammaChemical said on April 23, 2014 at 6:58 a.m.

Watch the video again as the Asian man ignites the ball of paper. DBZ and other similar shows/movies that depicts inner energy was based off that. Your inner energy are not 'magic' powers, dont even call it that.

The more you know.

GammaChemical said on April 23, 2014 at 6:59 a.m.

Btw I've had first hand experience with a Reiki Practitioner. Much like the video, he emitted really strong heat which I felt. If you guys want to refer it to 'magic,' sure. I like to call it energy. DBZ likes to call it ki or power level.

Whatever you want to call it.

sukurin said on April 23, 2014 at 7:20 a.m.

I bet you don't believe in ghost either.

bagel_bytez said on April 23, 2014 at 8:15 a.m.

I'd be more impressed if he didn't actually have to touch the paper. I've seen way too many magicians to believe that trick

Kolbe said on April 23, 2014 at 8:26 a.m.

That was the same inspiration for the anime Street Fighter II V. Both the Hadou and the Psycho Power, as well as Dhalsim's healing powers came all from various forms of chi, known with different names in different cultures.

I'm quite eskeptical about this too, but I think is totally fine to try to ground it in some sort of reality.

Father_of_Leonidas said on April 23, 2014 at 8:36 a.m.

Qigong is a practice of aligning body, breath, and mind for health, meditation, and martial arts training. With roots in Chinese medicine, philosophy, and martial arts, qigong is traditionally viewed as a practice to cultivate and balance qi (chi) or what has been translated as "life energy"

This is the type of meditation that the documentary is based on. its pretty interesting :D

TwoBears77 said on April 23, 2014 at 8:43 a.m.

Actually, this is not science, but rather pseudoscience. Scientific and medical associations do not in any way accept the concept of energy projection. Also, alternative medicine is not conventional scientific medicine.

ryuhayabusa13 said on April 23, 2014 at 9:03 a.m.

The Hadouken stuff was pretty well explained on the Street Fighter V. Despite the bad flaws of Ryu looking like Joe Higashi with no bandanna, it did have some true "historical" stuff like mentioning Bodhidharma, the power of Chi, a.k.a. Hadow,etc. And had an old man blowing the candles in it using his chi (although this has been done many of times before by budhist monks and ancient martial artists alike

JIHADJOE said on April 23, 2014 at 9:41 a.m.

Holy nostalgia trip!
SFV was quite a fun watch back in the day. Ryu and Ken's excellent adventures, featuring Chun Li.

supershoto2k10 said on April 23, 2014 at 10:15 a.m.

so you think shaolin monks are fake as they are a prime example of chi energy its not all smoke and mirrors, the guy in the vid is maybe o.t.t but chi is real just not as extreme as some think

supershoto2k10 said on April 23, 2014 at 10:16 a.m.

chi= strong mind over matter not magic

Remondo02 said on April 23, 2014 at 10:44 a.m.

TwoBears77 said on April 23, 2014 at 11:17 a.m.

The vernacular image of Shaolin Kung Fu is largely due to Jin Jing Zhong's 1934 book about the subject, all of which has proven to be greatly exaggerated. The concept of chi and its healing properties isn't inherently eastern either; the second most popular religion in the world involves a carpenter's son that supposedly healed a bunch of lepers and schizophrenics by touching them. So it's okay to believe what you want, but don't call it real or scientific.

supershoto2k10 said on April 23, 2014 at 12:24 p.m.

you typed all that blah blah blah! i said chi is a real its just a word used to describe strong body and mind nothing else its the listeners who think its for flaming hands and bending spoons exaggerate its meaning thus meaning people think its more than it is read carefully next time before blabbering out a rufus win quote.

supershoto2k10 said on April 23, 2014 at 12:40 p.m.

and who mentioned healing powers??

TwoBears77 said on April 23, 2014 at 1:04 p.m.

Actually you yourself brought up the Shaolin monks, did you not? Said that they were a real life example of chi. I amended your point with the fact that such examples have been exaggerated. While it is understandable that you would be upset about someone countering your argument, I should remind you that vitriol does not equate to strength of statement; particularly when one begins to use it to backtrack on his previous argument. So, please, leave the juvenile stuff out.

AAKZ said on April 23, 2014 at 2:21 p.m.

Thought this GammaChemical guy just had a good sense of humor... turns out he's serious. I got Decapre'd.

supershoto2k10 said on April 23, 2014 at 2:28 p.m.

so you think the things they do are exaggerated? the books and manuscripts that the media and authors make,are the ones who put it into peoples minds that its super human and chi is a type of energy or magical power, where as the monks always describe it as mind and body in unity they dont exaggerate anything, its like the old story that grows arms and legs as its passed on, thats where the confusion lies between the expression of chi/meditation

HeatEXTEND said on April 23, 2014 at 3:22 p.m.

# https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sErvo...
arguing the way this video does you could debunk people taking poops lol

supershoto2k10 said on April 23, 2014 at 3:57 p.m.

this ones good too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPY-Eo...

WRONGonRED said on April 23, 2014 at 8:50 p.m.

smoking cigarettes improves your chi according to that old documentary. those vap guys have got it all wrong.