Famitsu confirms Rise Kujikawa as playable in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • April 22, 2014 at 8:35 a.m. PDT

It had been rumored early last week that two new fighters may be entering the Persona 4 Arena Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold (or Persona 4 Arena Ultimax for short) battle. This morning, a partial glimpse at a scan from Famtisu's upcoming issue confirms that one of those characters will indeed be playable in-game.

Rise Kujkawa from Persona 4 has been added to the roster, as seen on the scan below. Because this image is so heavily blacked out, it appears that more Persona 4 Arena Ultimax news may be coming very soon.

Perhaps we'll be seeing a confirmation of the other rumored character: Ken Amada from Persona 3, later this week. Until then, check out the scan below, and let us know what you think about the inclusion of Rise in the upcoming Persona 4 Arena sequel.

Click image for larger version

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is slated for a North America release in the Fall of this year.

Source: Famitsu. Via Siliconera. Tips sent in by Blackoshinomi, Quezacoatl, and an anonymous reader.

Comments

SoftShocks said on April 22, 2014 at 8:39 a.m.

YAY!
Scan your opponent, then dance with them till victory. ;D

Eternal said on April 22, 2014 at 8:41 a.m.

When are they going to add Koromaru though?! D:

MajinTenshinhan said on April 22, 2014 at 8:42 a.m.

Yooo, Rise?! That's so sick! I was personally hoping for Adachi, to be honest, Rise wasn't even on my radar! Can't wait to see how she plays.

mrambitious said on April 22, 2014 at 8:43 a.m.

Game keeps getting better and better, I can't wait!!

Vita port please so I can play on the go!

Ett said on April 22, 2014 at 8:43 a.m.

Can't wait to play it in 2016.

Hypermarth said on April 22, 2014 at 8:43 a.m.

I think Adachi might end up as a boss character if he's not playable... because that shadowy outline reaaaaally looks like Adachi. Unless of course it's Ken 3 years older which is entirely possible.

Arakune said on April 22, 2014 at 8:48 a.m.

Yaassssssssssssssssssss oh my goddddd

Blackoshinomi said on April 22, 2014 at 8:50 a.m.

i'm currently playing persona 4 as we speak

Blackoshinomi said on April 22, 2014 at 9:05 a.m.

i hope fuuka becomes playable? Heck sense im naming people i hope

.marie persona 4 golden
.minato persona 3
.Minako (Persona 3 Portable
.Maya Amano Persona 2
.Tatsuya Suou Persona 2
.Ulala Serizawa Persona 2
.Koromaru persona 3
.Baofu Persona 2
.Eriko Kirishima persona
.Kei Nanjō persona

TaurusMAGNUS said on April 22, 2014 at 9:08 a.m.

This has just become a must buy for me.

Hypermarth said on April 22, 2014 at 9:13 a.m.

Keep in mind that Persona 4 Arena is Canon... so p3 MC would be pretty hard to pull off unless Elizabeth does something major.

Deceptimike said on April 22, 2014 at 9:46 a.m.

I only really want two other characters to be added. The first is Adachi and the second is one that can't really be added because reasons :(
And no, it is not the P3 MC.

I'm happy for the people who wanted Rise playable at least!

mrambitious said on April 22, 2014 at 10 a.m.

MC is short for Main Character or something else? If the game is Canon, similar to DBZ: GT, doesn't that mean they can use whatever character they wish? Literally every bad guy ever appeared in GT in some form, but story-wise it makes absolutely no sense.

jme said on April 22, 2014 at 10 a.m.

Adachi Por favor.

HooliganComboFTW said on April 22, 2014 at 10:06 a.m.

Ah then the rumor is pretty much confirmed then. Ken will be the another new character as well. Mixed feelings about this since Adachi has more potential to play and Rise was never a combat character to begin with. Probably was thrown in to promote the upcoming dance game.

DontTaseMeBro said on April 22, 2014 at 10:07 a.m.

Shinji?

Dr_Panic_PhD said on April 22, 2014 at 10:09 a.m.

I personally would have liked ken and koromaru as some type of combination character do to their respective
electric/light and fire/dark properties. Not to mention, as much as I like Koromaru I can't see him carrying even an arcade style story. It would definitely help me tolerate Ken a bit more too.

JiCi said on April 22, 2014 at 10:12 a.m.

"Click image for larger version"

Yeah... barely...

SpellcraftQuill said on April 22, 2014 at 10:16 a.m.

You do remember how broken Iggy in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is, right?

thiagoeis said on April 22, 2014 at 10:18 a.m.

Hell yeah! Now, when's Adachi?

HooliganComboFTW said on April 22, 2014 at 10:20 a.m.

Ah forgot that there is one positive for playable Rise for me. That means her Shadow will be back too and I love her dungeon theme it sounds so dirty haha. By zooming in it seems she will fight with a microphone which is expected of an idol character. Hopefully at least Adachi or even P3 MC comes out to consoles, but starting to doubt it now even playable Adachi because they can easily make him an NPC despite him having some role in the story again.

capra said on April 22, 2014 at 10:20 a.m.

tfw not fuuka

rise was fine as a commentator

JiCi said on April 22, 2014 at 10:23 a.m.

Believe it or not, she actually started as an idol, rather uptight, snobbish and with a bullying behavior, who would have fought with a chain. Later in development, they changed the bully-type character to Kanji and made Rise a support character.

Besides, with shadows going rampant in Ultimax, why wouldn't Rise see her own like she did in P4?

Wintry said on April 22, 2014 at 10:25 a.m.

Dang, now I might have to get this game because of her. I'm not made of money Atlus!

ShinAkiraDesu said on April 22, 2014 at 10:41 a.m.

Mad props to atlus making my waifu a playable character. Lol

Keyblade said on April 22, 2014 at 11:19 a.m.

Rise-chan playable? Definitely did not expect that, curious to see how she plays.

FencePost said on April 22, 2014 at 11:32 a.m.

Was thinking about moving to Yukari for the new game, but now I'm seriously considering Rise... There aren't many games that make me want to main pretty much the entire cast.

Superpeople said on April 22, 2014 at 12:04 p.m.

JiCi said on April 22, 2014 at 12:16 p.m.

From the start? Let's see:
- From P4, she was supposed to, but the idea was scrapped.
- From P4A, I suppose that ASW wanted to play it safe since no one knew how this game would have turned out to be.

It's not like Persona + Fighting Game = Guaranteed Hit... until P4A came along.

EnsignHiro said on April 22, 2014 at 12:38 p.m.

Yes! Please add minato!!!!

Sweet_Violence said on April 22, 2014 at 12:46 p.m.

Well, I didn't expect her to be playable. Next character is Tanaka and his amazing commodities!

lelouch345 said on April 22, 2014 at 1:16 p.m.

Anyone else notice that the black out is really badly done and you can see Labrys taking up most of the blacked out page?

drillbit777 said on April 22, 2014 at 1:27 p.m.

Well this is unexpected, I don't know how they'll even make Rise work considering she never fights in the game but its a cool addition. Hopefully Koromaru, Ken, Marie, Margaret, and maybe Shinji and the P3 MC(male and female) are playble(Which I doubt but heres wishful thinking.

Deceptimike said on April 22, 2014 at 1:34 p.m.

Yeah :(

shadowhumane said on April 22, 2014 at 1:43 p.m.

wait can rise even fight or she just whatever

Solar said on April 22, 2014 at 1:51 p.m.

Make Nanako playable pls :3

FencePost said on April 22, 2014 at 1:53 p.m.

Since Shinji is dead and Persona 3 Protagonist (female) does not exist within the series canon, I don't think you'll ever be seeing them...

Dimensional said on April 22, 2014 at 2:28 p.m.

Really looking forward to this game I just hope its not region locked this time and if it is it dosent take 9 months to bring it from america to europe with zero translation.

Dbarcelona said on April 22, 2014 at 3:04 p.m.

Rise Kujikawa Tofu attack Yoooo

Ootori_Kyouya said on April 22, 2014 at 3:52 p.m.

AS someone who is playing Persona 4, I am quite excited that she is included in this game. I will be picking up P4 Arena once I finish the game. From what I heard, it is less than 20 bucks in my local EB/Gamestop stores.[

bladefight0 said on April 22, 2014 at 4:26 p.m.

Yo, I'm really happy that P4A is getting content, and Ima let you finish getting hype, but when's Adachi? And I hope he's not DLC.

massi4h said on April 22, 2014 at 5:50 p.m.

Awesome. I've only seen the anime and she was my favourite character after Chie. Glad I can finally play as her

capra said on April 22, 2014 at 6:03 p.m.

er thanks but I already knew that about rise, I played golden too and it's not relevant. the characters old designs have nothing to do with their actual designs and they aren't going to turn rise into a snobbish bully who fights with a chain because that's not who she is.

both rise and fuuka are not combat units and more or less do the same thing, the story despite being called persona 4 arena is equally focused on persona 3 and 4 and combining the two universes. rise being an idol fits the commentator role like a glove, she has a place in persona 4 arena already, fuuka wouldn't be as good a commentator but would be an equally capable fighter however they intend to make a sensory unit a combat unit. we already know about the shadows of the persona 4 characters, it would be more interesting to introduce brand new ones for the p3 cast, to improve their character development.

Redblaze27 said on April 22, 2014 at 7:09 p.m.

Whats her weapon gonna be?
Closest thing she had was a stripper poll(via Shadow Rise).

spotlesseden said on April 22, 2014 at 7:35 p.m.

Rise shouldn't fight. /dislike

RinSu_The_Void said on April 22, 2014 at 9:34 p.m.

Weeeeeeeird....but welcoming! I really would like to see how she would fight. This is a real task since she doesn't necessarily have any attacks but I know the creative minds of Atlus and Arc System works won't disappoint. It's going to be observation and ailment based. I'm calling it!

And C'mon Korochan and Ken-tan, let's hear it!

tortoos said on April 23, 2014 at 4:45 a.m.

That's nice but when's adachi?