Is the rivalry between Daigo and Nuki set to be reignited? Over 3 hours of Nuki vs. Daichan and Naruo's Ryu footage, comments from Daigo and more

Posted by Nicholas 'MajinTenshinhan' Taylor • April 19, 2014 at 7:45 a.m. PDT

Back in the day, the rivarly between MCZ|Daigo and Nuki was at a legendary level in their home country of Japan. This rivalry has yet to be reignited in the Street Fighter 4 era, since Nuki hasn't been as serious with the game as he'd been with older titles.

About a month ago, however, we ran a story saying that Nuki seemed keen on returning to fighting games more properly again.

Today, we have a single-match video of Nuki facing off against Naruo's Ryu embedded, but we've also included links to NicoNico where you can find over 3 hours of footage where Nuki brings his Chun-Li out against Daichan and Naruo's Ryu.

Since this footage was recorded a few weeks ago, it seems fitting to assume it played some part in Nuki's recent victory against Daigo in their one-match exhibition at the Ultra Street Fighter 4 launch event.

Hit the jump for the video, the links to the 3 hours of footage, Daigo's comments on Nuki's recent activities and some information regarding the upcoming Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Tournament of Legends event.

Thanks to the Tokidoblog YouTube channel for this footage. To see the rest of the matches, look no further than the NicoVideo links we'll be linking below, containing over 3 hours of match footage.

According to a Nuki-related blogpost entitled "Road to Evo" here, MCZ|Daigo heard about the progress Nuki had been doing in Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition v2012 and was reportedly quite happy about hearing it. His response was reported to be "He's really getting back into it again, isn't he?"

Also, the blog reports that Nuki will be teaming up with famed MCZ|Daigo and MCZ|Tokido for the Tournament of Legends/X-Mania 3v3 tournament event in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo at EVO this year, so you can expect some very high level action in this classic title as well, come July.

Match videos

The first video below focuses on the Sagat matchup against C0jir0, and halfway through moves on to ranked matches while the second is only ranked matches.

Afterwards, it's all about the Ryu matchup, though, with videos 3-6 being played against Daichan's Ryu, and all the rest being played against Naruo's Ryu. The Ryu matchup videos each exceed 20 minutes each, so there's more than enough Chun-Li vs. Ryu goodness to go around.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11

Do you have any thoughts on the only currently inactive of "Japan's 5 gods", Nuki, supposedly returning fully devoted to newer fighting games? Let us know in the comments.

Big thanks to 趙★ヌキンクス for helping me out with a lot of the details for this story.

Comments

msdrakegx said on April 19, 2014 at 7:53 a.m.

This guy is awesome to watch

TheOtherTensei said on April 19, 2014 at 7:54 a.m.

Poperly? Minor typo.

MajinTenshinhan said on April 19, 2014 at 7:55 a.m.

Damn, thank you. Fixed.

partybrian5000 said on April 19, 2014 at 7:56 a.m.

Apparently running an arcade and competing at the highest level of both ST and 3S doesn't count as 'playing fighting games poperly (sic)'. I wish eventhubs wasn't so bloody eventhubs all the time.

MajinTenshinhan said on April 19, 2014 at 7:58 a.m.

If you're going to take one statement literally, can you please take all of them literally? The paragraph right above states he isn't taking modern titles as seriously as old ones.

partybrian5000 said on April 19, 2014 at 8:01 a.m.

Yet there was still the implication that playing old games competitively isn't 'proper' like playing SF4, it's ridiculous and you should be ashamed. It's just terrible journalism no matter which way you slice it.

MajinTenshinhan said on April 19, 2014 at 8:05 a.m.

I have no intention of implying that something is less proper and the other, what I however am very intent on implying is that Nuki seems to be returning to the mainstream scene via Street Fighter 4, since ST and 3S aren't really big deals anymore (which is unfortunate given how good of a game 3S is).

I'm sorry you feel the need to attack my writing because of it, but I hadd no intention of belittling any game, and it's unfortunate that you read an implication that I didn't mean within my words. Sorry for that. Not sorry for writing about one of the best players in the world and his progres within the, currently, most popular fighting game.

Mighty_One58 said on April 19, 2014 at 8:07 a.m.

Nuki, the forgotten God.

DunnDeal said on April 19, 2014 at 8:09 a.m.

There's no need to explain yourself. People are so insecure sometimes about the smallest things. It's ridiculous

Savage_Alchemist said on April 19, 2014 at 8:10 a.m.

Daigo has no rivals..only victims!

DenoK said on April 19, 2014 at 8:12 a.m.

Nuki forgotten? lol yeah, no...maybe by people who only care about SF4...

teufelsdroch said on April 19, 2014 at 8:13 a.m.

That ending sequence was sick. These top-level Japanese players are artists. I know that what goes in is tons of frame data--but what comes out is improvisation. Sako's Ibuki is the only other character I've been so impressed with.

Thanks, Capcom, for making one of your iconic characters tournament-playable again!

Jayson619 said on April 19, 2014 at 8:16 a.m.

BEAUTY (Nuki) VS THE BEAST (Daigo)!!!!!!

Interestingly some say this was their 2-man team name when they competed in SFIII 3rd Strike during TOUGEKI 2005 (officially it was UmeNuki).

partybrian5000 said on April 19, 2014 at 8:17 a.m.

Mainstream in the american-centric view of fighting games that eventhubs seems to think is the only one that matters, contrary to 3S having the most attendants for a co-op cup ever this year and even contrary to the ST revival that's doing so well around the world including america and EVO.

It's fine if you guys just want to cover that but both this article and the previous article explicitly imply that they're of less value entirely because the western sponsorship/streaming ecosystem doesn't recognise it as being so, whether the facts agree with it or not.

Also if you honestly don't feel there's an implication in both pieces to that effect then you probably are a bad journalist and i'm sorry if that offends you.

Remondo02 said on April 19, 2014 at 8:24 a.m.

MajinTenshinhan said on April 19, 2014 at 8:26 a.m.

I'm not even American. Can people stop calling me American? Please? I'm Swedish. I love 3rd Strike way more than I've ever liked SF4, and I don't appreciate you putting labels on me that you've decided before you even read my articles.

Street Fighter 4 is the most popular game right now, whether it deserves to be or not, and it is the game that most people care about. There's no inherent implication that Street Fighter 4 is a better game than ST or 3S, but there is a strong implication that it is more relevant currently, which is the truth, unfortunately.

ST revival is great, 3S tournaments are great, and I love that there's still activity in the scene of one of my absolute favourite fighting games ever (alongside CvS2 and KoF2002UM), but Street Fighter 4 is a bigger deal internationally. And in Japan, for that matter, just look at the prize pots they're shoveling out for the game.

I'm not offended, I'm just trying to explain to you that you shouldn't be so quick to judge. You seem to have had your mind made up before you came in here. You even said "I wish EventHubs wasn't so EventHubs" in your initial post. You're allowed to post whatever you want, but I'm simply defending myself saying that your accusations are baseless. Your opinion is yours and I have no intention of trying to take that away from you, but I personally don't think that your basis for good/bad writing seems fully sensible, since it seems largely based on your own snap decisions you made prior to even reading the article, and implications that I've clearly stated aren't there.

keebler said on April 19, 2014 at 8:28 a.m.

Nobody is gathering that implication as strongly as you are. While the wording could have been slightly better, the context created in the paragraph directly above covers him fine and well.

Frankly, if being so "bloody eventhubs" bothers you so much, then why don't you go to some other fighting game news site...where the articles are always 100% on point and well-written so no one person could ever misconstrue any aspect.

The way you even initiated the conversation shows how much of a jerk you can be "no matter which way you slice it."

SelamatPagi said on April 19, 2014 at 8:33 a.m.

B-b-but then no-one will know that I like old Capcom games, and they'll accuse me of being an 09'er!

Sage_Liebert said on April 19, 2014 at 8:38 a.m.

I've had more fun with SF4 series than I ever did with SF3. Every character is rushdown in 3.

partybrian5000 said on April 19, 2014 at 8:42 a.m.

Well first off, i'm well aware you're not american and didn't call you american, so great job on that one.

Secondly the implication is explicit through the use of the word 'properly' and in the previous article through the phrase 'returning to the craft', I absolutely fail to see how these are ambiguous in any way and i'd love for you to provide some explanation as to how they could be misinterpreted.

Thirdly, I'm not being quick to judge and frankly if you're unaware of the reputation eventhubs has in the wider fighting game community and especially in offline scenes that aren't discriminatory to non-'mainstream' games, to which your quote of me is referring, I'd suggest you're being willfully ignorant or disingenuous.

Also you can't just call an opinion baseless when it's all referring to quotes directly from your articles that really cannot be ambiguous in the bounds of the english language, it's quite clearly grounded and you're yet to provide any explanation as to how those quotes are being misinterpreted. I honestly don't think you're taking this complaint in good faith because it would mean admitting fault on your end and I find that depressing but not unexpected given previous experience.

Liam_Butler said on April 19, 2014 at 8:47 a.m.

What's your point?

MajinTenshinhan said on April 19, 2014 at 8:47 a.m.

People regularly call me an American in these comments, and I am well-aware that you didn't explicitly call me American, you did however claim that I was following some sort of American mindset, which is why I brought my complaint forward.

Also, I did explain, by referring to all of the other sentencees instead of zeroing in on one single sentence and ignoring all others.

Either way, I'm done now. I don't have the willpower to do any more arguing with someone I don't even know. As I said in my previous post, you're entitled to your opinion and I have no interest or intention of going against your right to your opinion. I simply don't agree with your conclusions, and I'm fed up with being put down for something I explained in my very first response to you.

Have a good day.

Dreamking23 said on April 19, 2014 at 8:50 a.m.

@partybrian5000

Street Fighter 3 Third Strike is a game that is nearly 15 years old now. Regardless of what you may think, as it stands right now, the Street Fighter 4 series is much more popular. That is a fact.

In this article, we did not write that 3S doesn't have a following or isn't popular in its own regard. Nor did we try and discredit Nuki's skills in 3S or ST. The point of this story, which you seem to have missed due to your fixation on one line, is that Nuki is playing SSF4 AE v2012 (the most popular game on the circuit today) more seriously.

You are very clearly hellbent on being rude, and personally attacking our staff is not okay just because you want to make yourself seem smarter than everyone around you by attempting to put us down.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell any reader who thinks that the site revolves around them and that we're only here to serve one person: If you don't like what you're reading on EventHubs, don't read it.

If you have a real concern with how we operate on our site, please feel free to contact us via the "Submit News" link at the top of our site. We will gladly work with you to resolve any problems that you may be experiencing, much like we do with anyone who contacts us with an actual concern.

But saying things like, "you're a bad journalist," is getting you nowhere, and frankly, it's just making you look like a jerk.

BushidoV1 said on April 19, 2014 at 8:59 a.m.

At this point, you aren't even complaining. It's bitching more than anything.

ArcadeRobot said on April 19, 2014 at 9:04 a.m.

FIGHTING ✨🙏✨ GOD

dalevodka said on April 19, 2014 at 9:04 a.m.

partybrian5000 said on April 19, 2014 at 9:05 a.m.

I brought up legitimate grievances, which are legitimately examples of at best careless and at worst intentionally ignorant journalism, I didn't personally attack anyone nor did I try to make myself sound smart so I could be superior. I was then told my grievances were baseless, none of my points were directly addressed other than saying that the rest of the article expanded on the quotes in question as if subsequent context made them valid when it was a matter of the specific wording of the quotes in question.

You really can do whatever you like to discredit me and my greivances, I don't know what I expected from bringing it up, but if you honestly expect people with issues to send those issues in to the 'Submit News' link despite it not being news and despite this section being specifically for commenting on the article above because that way it won't upset anyone and can be promptly ignored, i'd suggest you should submit your greivances with my posts in writing and delivered by hand to my PO Box at the North Pole.

If you honestly think calling someone a bad journalist for defending bad journalism is a personal attack then I don't know what to say.

I know it's fighting games, it's not some huge serious thing and I don't have high hopes for FGC journalism or anything, but you guys really need to look at how you approach criticism because this isn't acceptable whether it's tiddlywinks or the watergate scandal.

Mighty_One58 said on April 19, 2014 at 9:06 a.m.

LOL. ofcourse I know how godlike Nuki is, not only in 3S, but in Super Turbo aswell.

Forgotten because he didn't play much SF4, just recently because chunli is getting buffed in Ultra.

Nuki only plays for fun, only picks character that is fun to play.

So watch out Infiltration!

yamazaki said on April 19, 2014 at 9:09 a.m.

there is also another sentence that says nuki is "inactive"...

Ravellino said on April 19, 2014 at 9:15 a.m.

nice

MajinTenshinhan said on April 19, 2014 at 9:19 a.m.

Edited it to reflect aim at modern fighting games. Thanks.

HeatEXTEND said on April 19, 2014 at 9:21 a.m.

not to mention hear lol

Remondo02 said on April 19, 2014 at 9:23 a.m.

TheTHCGamer said on April 19, 2014 at 9:23 a.m.

Lol so watch out infiltration lets not get ahead of ourselves Nuki as you stated hasn't played muchSFIV.

Mighty_One58 said on April 19, 2014 at 9:25 a.m.

Years of experience in fighting games + Japan scene would make up for it. I hope. lol

FightDirty said on April 19, 2014 at 9:29 a.m.

Wow, Chun Li is looking pretty good in those vids. Or is it just an exceptional player making her look so good? Can't wait until Ultra gets released so I can try her out!

FightDirty said on April 19, 2014 at 9:32 a.m.

You should get a hobby - or perhaps take up hard liquor. Anything to get your mind off of petty, silly stuff.

Remondo02 said on April 19, 2014 at 9:37 a.m.

Jaaj301 said on April 19, 2014 at 9:49 a.m.

Yeah, good luck antiairing with faster jumps. In 3rd strike, that would work because of parry, but in SF4, antiairing require much faster reactions.

3rd strike was only fast because of parry. If parry wasn't there, pretty much the entire game would be broken. And since they didn't want parry in the next SF game, SF4 HAD to be slower.

And I disagree, SF4 isn't just noob friendly. Of course if you only look at the reversal window and ultra combos you might get that impression, but it still requires skill, just in different places than 3rd strike.

bagel_bytez said on April 19, 2014 at 9:50 a.m.

Cry some more

Sage_Liebert said on April 19, 2014 at 9:56 a.m.

I don't understand why they speak on execution inputs being easy in SF4, yet we all see Daigo, Nuki, etc. drop combos in SF4 plenty of times.

yamazaki said on April 19, 2014 at 9:58 a.m.

have you ever heard of IIX/ST?

SF4 also has poor character design/models imo.

bagel_bytez said on April 19, 2014 at 10:05 a.m.

Oh and make sure you try to use as many big words as possible so you sound really smart lololol

BigFleccs said on April 19, 2014 at 10:14 a.m.

Maybe he has 0 PP points in AE.

BigFleccs said on April 19, 2014 at 10:20 a.m.

The event hubs guy does have perfect grammar and composition. He would make a better journalist than you jut on that. You didn't capitalize I, I'd, and maybe some beginning sentences.

LK said on April 19, 2014 at 10:24 a.m.

As you know, if Nuki is going to EVO, then Daigo would be the other happiest person.

BigFleccs said on April 19, 2014 at 10:27 a.m.

You really need to capitalize America and English language. Show some respect. Were the country that told king you ain't getting no more tax money.

gaming99 said on April 19, 2014 at 10:34 a.m.

so many blowhard hipsters in this chat it really annoys the f outta me. They always there everytime 3S / ST being mentioned , getting offended and glorifying their olden days, while at the same time dissing the new game.

These hipsters are like a leech trying to suck other people's happiness by playing games they like.

kdavis851 said on April 19, 2014 at 10:38 a.m.

Nailed it.

Remondo02 said on April 19, 2014 at 10:55 a.m.

teufelsdroch said on April 19, 2014 at 11:09 a.m.

Nice post, Majin--and accurate. You quoted Daigo as evidence that Nuki is, "coming back"...the rest is just the internet.

BTW, many blogs are pulling back from involving/reacting to comments...that represents a kind of maturation, I suppose. There has been a kind of phase change in how people deal with the internet, and each other.

By phase change, I mean something like water turning into ice. It's the same molecule, and 0 degrees is damned near -1 degree--but something has characteristically changed. It's like every comment board has turned into 4chan.

Still, it's nice to have subcultures like the FGC that are trying to maintain what must be called an old school (ie pre 2010) relationship with their consumers.

Again, nice post, how would I know that Nuki is kicking ass otherwise?

yamazaki said on April 19, 2014 at 11:24 a.m.

actually the quote is "He's really getting back into it again, isn't he?" "it" being SF4.

triplethreat99 said on April 19, 2014 at 12:20 p.m.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.- John Wayne

MCHAWKING said on April 19, 2014 at 12:25 p.m.

Nuki / Daigo / Tokido 3 man team in ST at Evo Kreygasm

bananainsaneface said on April 19, 2014 at 3:25 p.m.

People like to think Daigo is a saint but he's not here's translated video of him and Nuki talking trash about Justin Wong:

KageVincent said on April 19, 2014 at 3:52 p.m.

Hey. No one cares. I feel you are one of those people who needs to have his opinion validated. Talking sh*t in any competetive setting is universal. Get over it. No one is humble all of the time. Everyone in the fgc universally agrees that daigo is great at fg's. We don't really care about his character -_-

evo546 said on April 19, 2014 at 4:19 p.m.

Still salty that Daigo won Topanga world leauge? LOL

MajinTenshinhan said on April 19, 2014 at 6:05 p.m.

I assume you know this already but, you realise that's not what they're saying, right?

spotlesseden said on April 19, 2014 at 8:32 p.m.

what are you talking about? Do you even know what are they saying? they didn't trash talk J wong.

bluAsterisk said on April 20, 2014 at 1:25 a.m.

Why aren't you banned yet?

DenoK said on April 20, 2014 at 2:44 a.m.

Come on Eventhubs...why isn't bananainsaneface banned yet?

DougQuaidHauser said on April 20, 2014 at 8:47 a.m.

Nuki only plays characters for fun? sure thats why he uses chun in 3rd strike...

SgtKonus said on April 21, 2014 at 7:25 a.m.

Top tiers can be fun.