Ultra Street Fighter 4 Edition Select still offline-only, has save/reload state and Network Simulation; hits retailers August 7 in Japan

Posted by Cheng Kai 'KarbyP' Sim • April 16, 2014 at 12:50 p.m. PDT

Updated: Upon closer scrutiny, it appears that Ultra Street Fighter 4's Edition Select is still an offline-only mode. We previously had a small error in translation that has since been fixed.

Japanese magazine Weekly Famitsu has more than just a look at Decapre, Rolento, Elena, Hugo and Poison's alternate costumes in its latest issue.

The gaming publication also revealed that the packaged retail version of Ultra Street Fighter 4 will come out in Japan on August 7 at the price of 3,990 yen (4,309 yen with tax included) -- as well as the scoop on some very spiffy new features: a save/reload feature and a Network Simulation option in Training mode.

Check out the Famitsu scans below, and hit the jump to read more about the new Training mode tools.

Click images for larger versions

Save/reload states and Network Simulation options

The lower-half of the page details two new toys for us to play around with in Training mode: save/reload states and a Network Simulation feature.

Save/reload states are exactly what they sound. In the example illustrated by Famitsu, as C.Viper, you could perform an EX Seismic Hammer, hit pause to register that in the game's save state, and then have the game reload the entire sequence recorded (likely at the press of a button; Famitsu did not go into detail on that) so that you could practice the follow-up options after an EX Seismic Hammer over and over.

Network Simulation, on the other hand, lets you simulate laggy online environments so that you can practice your combos for such situations -- this appears to be quite similar to the Lag Simulation feature in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Famitsu also notes that there is now an online training mode in the game that you could use with a friend, and that the feature set in the offline and online training modes are nearly identical.

Alternate costumes (SFxTK) for USF4's new characters

The final page in Famitsu's 4-page spread on USF4 this week contains information pertaining to what you can carry over in the arcade version of Super Street Fighter 4 to the USF4, as well as a closer look at the designs for Decapre, Rolento, Elena, Hugo, and Poison's alternate costumes (which requires a Street Fighter X Tekken save to unlock).

Comments

Ittouryoudan said on April 16, 2014 at 12:52 p.m.

Looks like they listened. Online Edition Select.

Doopliss said on April 16, 2014 at 12:53 p.m.

Online ES is a typo, isn't it?

floorwalker said on April 16, 2014 at 12:53 p.m.

This is quite possibly the best news since the birth of Street Fighter.

Hotdiddykong said on April 16, 2014 at 12:54 p.m.

Wow, another year to skip Next Gen, August? Goddamn and that's just Japan.

Doopliss said on April 16, 2014 at 12:54 p.m.

Retail version is august, DLC is june.

Remondo02 said on April 16, 2014 at 12:55 p.m.

Quezacoatl said on April 16, 2014 at 12:57 p.m.

The magazine clearly states Edition Select is OFFLINE only. The error is on your side.

David_I said on April 16, 2014 at 12:57 p.m.

Stop messing with our heads, translators! lol

rainribbon said on April 16, 2014 at 12:58 p.m.

No it said "Only for OFFLINE play". But I think it will be also available for online play too, but in the article it said it's for offline play only.

djm0001 said on April 16, 2014 at 1:01 p.m.

not sure if you know the answer to this or not...but what do you get with the DLC vs Retail...

DLC - $15 digital upgrade (need SSF4 installed ) - you get new chars, balance, game modes, stages, etc... do you get any alt costumes? whether for new cast or old cast?

Retail - $40 - same as DLC, but if you have gamedata saved for SSF4, it will unlock ALL alt costumes? Do you get anything in addition?

Farplaner said on April 16, 2014 at 1:04 p.m.

Ummmm... it said "Offline" only. I'm guessing the translator forgot his katakana...

theshredder39 said on April 16, 2014 at 1:04 p.m.

Yeah, I gotta agree with this, I like that Online Edition select is possible but as long as it's only available in player matches and if lobbies allow you to ban editions, I think we got a pretty good online service and they can most definitely do that especially if games like MVC Origins allows you to ban characters in lobbies.

KarbyP said on April 16, 2014 at 1:05 p.m.

You're right, this is a mistake on my part. It says offline-only.

... Too used to seeing on/off (2 letters vs. 3 letters) that I read the moji wrong. *facepalms*

Doopliss said on April 16, 2014 at 1:08 p.m.

The only difference between retail and DLC is that you get the old costumes with retail. Doesn't require save data.

ChoseDeath said on April 16, 2014 at 1:09 p.m.

Apparently not if you don't have a SFxT save. That makes me majestically pissed.

djm0001 said on April 16, 2014 at 1:12 p.m.

Oh so it doesn't even come with the new alt's?

AvgDiem said on April 16, 2014 at 1:13 p.m.

man i got really hype for a second...

Doopliss said on April 16, 2014 at 1:14 p.m.

Both versions have equal access to the new alts. Just read the article about it here on EH.

jme said on April 16, 2014 at 1:15 p.m.

womp womp

KataM said on April 16, 2014 at 1:16 p.m.

And don't forget the SAME character select screen with the newcomers added to the sides... lazy Capcom, at least rearrange them to put the SFIII and FF characters together.

sarif2soon said on April 16, 2014 at 1:17 p.m.

Two features I've been wanting for a while <3

USF4 said on April 16, 2014 at 1:17 p.m.

Is edition select possible in online training room?

Professor_Icepick said on April 16, 2014 at 1:18 p.m.

Dang. I was really hoping we were getting an Online version of Edition Select.

Oh well, getting SFxT costumes in USF4 for free is pretty cool.

djm0001 said on April 16, 2014 at 1:19 p.m.

I can't find an article that explicitly mentions this.

Eye_of_Orochi said on April 16, 2014 at 1:19 p.m.

So they really couldn't at least have rearranged the character select screen to look less messy, bland and dated. A minor disappointment.

But Decapre and Poison in that artwork with icons like Ryu and Chun? Loving it!

JIHADJOE said on April 16, 2014 at 1:21 p.m.

Welp, I always thought edition select is kinda like a party game mode that people would play with a bunch of buddies while getting drunk. Offline works.

Yung said on April 16, 2014 at 1:22 p.m.

So the ONLY way to get the costumes are by having SF x T ? * sigh *

djm0001 said on April 16, 2014 at 1:26 p.m.

I doubt it'll happen, but I hope USF4 is changed back so you can see alt costumes even if you haven't purchased them.

Dbarcelona said on April 16, 2014 at 1:27 p.m.

You could buy it from gamestop get the gamesave and return it within seven days

Yung said on April 16, 2014 at 1:27 p.m.

I wouldn't be surprised, Capcom isn't known for their smart decisions.

kemtox said on April 16, 2014 at 1:28 p.m.

It's a luck SFxT is like 5.00$ in every sh*t games bins :-D

maxi2099 said on April 16, 2014 at 1:29 p.m.

These alternate costumes are a lot better than the others of the first news.

Doopliss said on April 16, 2014 at 1:30 p.m.

It's right below this one.

ShadowGeno said on April 16, 2014 at 1:35 p.m.

In b4 Japan still smash the s**t out of the US at EVO. LOOOOL

djm0001 said on April 16, 2014 at 1:36 p.m.

Doesn't say a word about alt costumes regarding DLC vs retail versions of the game...that article only talks about the SFxT costumes for the 5 new characters

Basically I want know if there is a side-by-side comparison of what you get for the retail version of the game vs. the DLC version of the game...I'm specifically interested in the alt costume content, but it seems that all you get is old costumes, nothing new.

oldboy said on April 16, 2014 at 1:38 p.m.

Yeah. That's the way I see it too.

TrueGamingGuru said on April 16, 2014 at 1:48 p.m.

That really sucks that the Edition Select is still offline only, I guess if possible which someone in the past mention early that "the Edition Select will not be available at launch and might be feature as an update." But who honestly knows, and if it wasn't for the mistranslation it would've been friend matches only (similar to what SSB is going to have with the custom move set when it comes to online play) which I would've prefer if it was random opponents.

Anything can still change from the games launch to update patches.

@Remondo02

If they were to include Edition Select online, Capcom wouldn't seriously miss a filter option. A filter option would be good enough when it comes to online play for Edition Select. They've already gave us the choices to choose between different versions before the Edition Select was later included. (which is a return from Hyper SFII & Hyper SFA) It would be stupid if they didn't include a filter option.

SonicfanQ said on April 16, 2014 at 1:49 p.m.

People still complaining about edition select being offline only wtf. Deal with it.

jme said on April 16, 2014 at 1:50 p.m.

KarbyP gonna get fired for leading everyone off Kappa

Green016 said on April 16, 2014 at 1:51 p.m.

Edition select just became utterly useless without online. Network simulation is also totally useless. We all know the deal with online play and laggy conditions. What's the point of this gimmicky option? Two more useless additions, good stuff.

AugustAPC said on April 16, 2014 at 1:51 p.m.

So are the SFxT alts unlocked with just a save file or do you have to actually own the costumes in SFxT for them to transfer to USF:IV?

Also... Cammy's SFxT alt goes to Decapre? Are they taunting us? lol

J said on April 16, 2014 at 1:55 p.m.

I'm glad plumber Rolento is back, hope they'll add that funny suction noise every time he plants it on the ground.

Ett said on April 16, 2014 at 1:56 p.m.

Network Simulation is only usefull if you have a GGPO like netcode where you can set the lag.

Doopliss said on April 16, 2014 at 1:58 p.m.

DLC and retail are the same thing, the ONLY difference is that you get the OLD costumes for free.

MaysTheCraze said on April 16, 2014 at 1:59 p.m.

Yes. My devotion to SFxT will pay off after all...

KarbyP said on April 16, 2014 at 2:02 p.m.

Just the save file. Don't delete your SFxTK save file and you'll be fine.

SpiderUppercut said on April 16, 2014 at 2:03 p.m.

Like I've said previously, it is a reasonabe expectation for Edition Select to be fully available across ALL MODES, not just Ranked and Endless lobbies.

As how things work with Super SF4 and AE 2012 now.

In fact, when the DLC upgrades for USF4 goes live, I fully expect to be able to access Super SF4, AE 2012 lobbies as well as Ultra SF4 as I do right now.

The Replay modes and Leaderboards also have Super SF4 and AE 2012 data also available.

I don't expect this to change moving forward, as I quite often come across people still running Super SF4 that I can challenge as well as AE 2012 players. :)

It doesn't split the player base at all, it's actually a very clever way of including everybody.

I can post screencaps again if necessary if any of this is confusing.

dalevodka said on April 16, 2014 at 2:04 p.m.

SpiderUppercut said on April 16, 2014 at 2:05 p.m.

"They've already gave us the choices to choose between different versions before the Edition Select was later included. (which is a return from Hyper SFII & Hyper SFA) It would be stupid if they didn't include a filter option."

EXACTLY, MY GOOD MAN. :)

Blag_D said on April 16, 2014 at 2:09 p.m.

Someone pleaseeee make them change the character select screen!

Freeyu said on April 16, 2014 at 2:25 p.m.

I don't really like Network Simulation it's like they're saying online will never be laggless so here you go get used to it.

Edition Select should be online too man I don't always have friends over. I guess having online tournaments nowadays makes it difficult.

And Save/Reload seems cool but what I really dig is the online training mode with your buddies. Let's fuçking train bro before I kick your ass!

Check895 said on April 16, 2014 at 2:29 p.m.

Saddest news of all, Edition Select Offline, you've won, whiners.

sarif2soon said on April 16, 2014 at 2:30 p.m.

I don't think saying "deal with it" to everything will make things better.
Getting your voice to the creator of the content, however, does.

xShonuffx said on April 16, 2014 at 2:31 p.m.

They STILL didn't make Gouken and Akumas them playable during versus/online matches. It sill plays the same generic arranged Ryu's theme when you fight them in Arcade mode. Cmon Capcom, did that really fly under the radar?

Can we get this changed before digital release?

Burnt said on April 16, 2014 at 2:31 p.m.

So since i have the disc version of AE 2012, i have to install it to my xbox in order to get the update?

Tryken said on April 16, 2014 at 2:35 p.m.

"We didn't improve the netcode like everybody wanted--but don't worry, we added a option for you to practice playing in the lag that we were too lazy to fix!" - Capcom

In all seriousness, though, I imagine the budget and staff allotted to Ultra was very scarce. It's a nice gesture on Combofiend and Ono's part considering their limited allowance from the big heads at Capcom.

But, really, a new UI/character select screen. Was that really too much to ask? All I want is a fresh coat of paint to freshen the look up a bit.

djm0001 said on April 16, 2014 at 2:38 p.m.

Yeah that's what it seems, but I'm asking to find this in writing, since I can't seem to find any info about it.

CyberAthlete said on April 16, 2014 at 2:41 p.m.

The problem with this is we all know StreetFighter is probably Capcom's only profitable game and yet they add things no-one asked for while not improving the net-code or adding things that would actually be useful like REMATCH FOR 1v1 ENDLESS BATTLES.

I love SF and if I want to continue playing SF I have to buy Ultra but I'm gonna complain about it.

Lordd_G said on April 16, 2014 at 2:43 p.m.

^ This. Use Gamestop's loophole for all it's worth. I still have my copy of SFxT so it's a non-issue.

Check895 said on April 16, 2014 at 2:44 p.m.

You'll get the old alts for free if you purchase the full digital version or disc version of the game (August) and not only the upgrade patch (June).

As simple as that.

TrueGamingGuru said on April 16, 2014 at 2:54 p.m.

This stuff I've typed is what to expect from a person who is very familiar with fighter games and played fighter games from the past. I still know that the last time I've played SSFIV was when AE came around and there was a filter option for players who bought the DLC & the ones who didn't buy the DLC. Part of my interest for the Edition Select comes from Hyper SFII & Hyper SFA which I've played from the past.

They've already did filter options in the past, imagine that they've just forgot about a filter option that would be just plain down graded. (and USFIV hype for the 5th character was already a down grade from SFXT & other fighter games when comes to character reveals)

I would just want an equal balance for both players that like the Edition Select and the ones that prefer playing just the USFIV balance & tournament play when it comes to online. (even SCIV had separate online options for the custom effects & non custom effects)

ShO said on April 16, 2014 at 2:57 p.m.

No new announcer :(

Wardog said on April 16, 2014 at 2:57 p.m.

The only difference between the two is, that retail version will have all the dlc outfits (besides the 5 new outfits, if you didn't pre-order the game for those outfits and didn't have a save file from sfxt for the other dlc outfits)

So the bottom line is that its for people who want a physical copy with everything on it and don't want to use up their hd space.

Its like how they did it with AE with download the game with only the update and the new characters, nothing else and the disk version you got all the dlc outfits, with everybody.

Doopliss said on April 16, 2014 at 2:57 p.m.

Try to find the original reveal of USFIV, all the info should be there.

Drew said on April 16, 2014 at 3:03 p.m.

Well where is the rematch option for 1vs1?

XxAngelChunLixX said on April 16, 2014 at 3:07 p.m.

So, is there a spectator option for endless lobbies yet? And it's gonna feel weird using my Poison SFxT alt without my cute colors. Dx I wish they would change the announcer, character select screen and theme, and while we're talking about themes, I need my "indestructible" back too.

BlackOnyxThunder said on April 16, 2014 at 3:09 p.m.

Capcom, you are like my phone when it downloads random apps. Thank you, but why?

TrueGamingGuru said on April 16, 2014 at 3:16 p.m.

There probably would be patch that is required to install for anyone who bought SSFIV-AE 2012 before they can jump into USFIV.

amrraed said on April 16, 2014 at 3:22 p.m.

I remember them saying that the characters would get new trials, is there is any news or updates on that matter ?

EXCh33ky said on April 16, 2014 at 3:26 p.m.

Hahah really? It's offline only?! Gosh capcom is stupid

Gamefreak said on April 16, 2014 at 3:28 p.m.

When it downloads random apps? I don't think a phone should be doing that on it's own.

RenyNoise said on April 16, 2014 at 3:31 p.m.

The 2nd Edition Select goes online you'll have the same people begging to put it begging to take it out, "Too many Vanilla Sagats!!!! THIS UNBALANCED!"

SonicfanQ said on April 16, 2014 at 3:36 p.m.

Capcom thank you for keeping this mode offline only. I appreciate your hard work and dedicating to balancing this game. This mode is not to be taken serous and we should be be playing the balanced game capcom worked hard to balance online. Honestly I wish they would have never added ES in the first first. I would rather have championship mode or something else.

Caliban said on April 16, 2014 at 3:40 p.m.

they didnt listen.. Ultra Street Fighter 4 Edition Select still offline-only good stuff capcom way to stay fail.

BlackOnyxThunder said on April 16, 2014 at 3:40 p.m.

Yeah! What this guy said.

Caliban said on April 16, 2014 at 3:41 p.m.

way to keep a mode unplayable for the most part for alot of people.

Deathknight said on April 16, 2014 at 3:42 p.m.

Damn that's messed up about the SFVSTK alt costumes and how you need a SFVSTK save to unlock them.

I'll just wait until they relase it as DLC or pass on it completely, not buying an entire game just for some alts.

LOL Capcom you mad!

nightmaresteam said on April 16, 2014 at 3:44 p.m.

For people that are complaining about the alternates that require a SFXTK save you can just get a save file for that game off the internet and then use Horizon if you are on 360 or use something similar for PS3 to reassign the save to your profile and put it on your console and it will unlock the costumes. Or you could just borrow the game from someone, put the game disc in and just load it once so that it creates a save. As for PC players someone will probably make a unlocker that unlocks the costumes.

SonicfanQ said on April 16, 2014 at 3:46 p.m.

Capcom knows what they are doing with this. They are keeping it offline for reason. When people go online they want people to focus on playing the game they worked hard balancing. What would be to point of balancing the game. They might as well just have released edition select and called it a day. Sigh.. capcom why did you add this pointless mode to the game in the first place.

JRXP2011 said on April 16, 2014 at 3:55 p.m.

Edition Select Online is DLC 4.99

ShiroiKaze said on April 16, 2014 at 3:57 p.m.

hmmm anyone else notice the poster image is a CG render rather than having an illustration? Just doesn't have that same charm... feels to Tekken-ish.

Caliban said on April 16, 2014 at 4:07 p.m.

having edition select isnt gonna hurt online, just keep it endless only. i would undertand it hurting ranked.

edrigo said on April 16, 2014 at 4:17 p.m.

Gonna be more blunt than usual. I don't give a damn about what character select screens look like that's just aesthetics. Edition select means nothing to me if it's not online. Now what? I watch pro players maybe use it once in a awhile but i can't use it? Alot of people play sf predominantly online and some like to reminisce about using older characters for sh:ts and giggles. Like most people. Geez why bother with it. It seemed like such a fun idea i literally don't see the problem with it being online.

danny2times said on April 16, 2014 at 4:18 p.m.

@sonicfan

Yeah you're right and while we're at it why do automotive makers still make manual shift transmissions? Clearly the automatic is the successor. I suppose life isn't good with choices? Go ahead tell me if I want to play those versions of the characters to just play that game right?
You'd do well in a communist government, just take what's given to you and no matter how week you like or dislike what you get, you're just dandy right?

You're nothing more than an online warrior, no sponsorship, nothing more than the average user but you have a elitist mentality. You're type pisses me off to the point of violence. When I was a kid nearly 25 years ago, in my local arcade, if I had a complaint about a game the owner had survey cards I could fill out. This was the communication between the product end user and the corporate yahoos. A way of listening to the consumer and adjusting it to keep the players dropping in those coins.

You're end all be all attitude yields a sad lonely existence, doesn't it? You're a cool guy right? A real ladies man? Graduated valedictorian did you? Home coming king? Mvp on the football team? No you're a sad lonely, angry internet troll.
Punk.

edrigo said on April 16, 2014 at 4:27 p.m.

Oh and another thing all these cats who claim it'll "split the communtiy" please show me your faces so i can slap you.

Please.

necroticart said on April 16, 2014 at 4:27 p.m.

Honestly this is nice and all and I own AE along with all the DLC but until Ultra is offered on the PS4 I'm going to pass. Now don't get me wrong I still like the PS3 it's a good system same can be said of the 360 more or less. I just don't see buying ultra when I know it will run and look much better on the PS4 and or XB One.

AceKombat said on April 16, 2014 at 4:44 p.m.

Ok this is insane. So much for staying quiet about this.

For the people who DON'T want Edition Select online, and are tournament players or players that really want to practice and get better, I really want to hear your response with this. I'm sure this site cater for both equalities (casuals and competitors alike), and I respect it and like each side for their own reasons, but I want to hear this from the players who really want to level up.

For the players that want to level up and dislike the ES Online idea, your basic argument about ES online is the idea that the community splits for better play, and you will not be able to train efficiently, right? Keep in mind btw, USFIV is the one to train for Evo, and very likely in the next upcoming tournaments since that's the upcoming standard, right?

Want to know something? That argument of splitting communities not benefiting your own wants doesn't add up... at all.

If you really want to level up for upcoming tournaments with USFIV mode since it's the standard at the moment, and you are worried the community will split, then that should be the least of your worries. Why? Because the vast majority that wants to level up their experience in USFIV will be in the same shoes as you are, finding matches in USFIV mode. The players that care to practice, like you, would want USFIV practice since that's the standard.

If anything, that would make competitors online more happy since it just might eliminate the option of playing players who don't care about leveling up.

So again, and let me rephrase it, but please do tell me how having an Edition Select online sorting option will hurt *your experience in practicing for high-level USFIV*?

VolcanicAkuma55 said on April 16, 2014 at 4:46 p.m.

ROTFLMFAO no edition select so people will focus on the game that capcom spent time rebalancing? lol where were you guys when they split Super and AE and later Super and 2012? and why didnt the community break apart then? It's gunna hurt ranked? So people are really going to be negatively affected by separate leaderboards for ES and Ultra? ROFL people going soft...

Phatman said on April 16, 2014 at 4:53 p.m.

anyone know if we have to buy the retail version to get all the extras? or does the early release DLC have it as well?

BlackOnyxThunder said on April 16, 2014 at 4:57 p.m.

You can use edition select, but only offline and in endless battle mode. If people don't want edition select accessible online most likely there's a reason? Nobody wants to fight "semi-unbalanced" characters, nobody wants opponents who only chooses edition select, nobody wants unfair advantages in online matches etc. You're throwing away all the hard work in balancing USF4's characters just to make the older versions select-able and playable? FTW!

Xiaoyuken said on April 16, 2014 at 5:06 p.m.

REMATCH BUTTON ONLINE PLEASEE!!

USF4 said on April 16, 2014 at 5:08 p.m.

Edition Select Online is PC mod 0.00

Kwisatz_Haderach said on April 16, 2014 at 5:10 p.m.

No online Edition Select is total blue balls! I've never been one of those fools who bashes Capcom for every decision, but this is just STUPID! My excitement for this game has diminished quite a bit recently.

Kwisatz_Haderach said on April 16, 2014 at 5:12 p.m.

Speak for yourself! I don't mind playing against Vanilla Sagats and AE Yuns all day. If I get tired of it, I'll switch back to Ultra! Do you not get it?

sarif2soon said on April 16, 2014 at 5:21 p.m.

You need to take a step back and realize that, although this game can be played professionally, it's still game.

"Fun"

danny2times said on April 16, 2014 at 5:35 p.m.

Perfectly said, nobody can argue this.

SonicfanQ said on April 16, 2014 at 5:46 p.m.

Lol ok man man you must really want to play ae yun or vanilla sagat. L ololol

SonicfanQ said on April 16, 2014 at 5:50 p.m.

Lol you guys are so passionate about a pointless mode l ololol I hope capcom keeps it offline forever hahahahahahahahahahah

L said on April 16, 2014 at 6:13 p.m.

They really need to drop that PS4 announcement. =[

EG2 said on April 16, 2014 at 6:34 p.m.

ES Online has more potential to affect the non-tourney casual online community. It would dilute the community playing online, no question. How much, however, is hard to say. It absolutely would a bad idea for ranked, and that should never be considered. That kind of mode should have some sort of thought into balancing for a level playing field. Lobbies have the potential to split the online community significantly. The best compromise for this mode online would be private only rooms.

Load more comments