Updated: Charizard and Greninja revealed as playable, Zero Suit Samus, Sheik and Yoshi return; Super Smash Bros. 3DS releases this Summer

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • April 8, 2014 at 3:47 p.m. PDT

Updated again: The final portion of the Nintendo Direct feed revealed that Charizard and Greninja will be the two newest playable characters.

Sakurai revealed that Zero Suit Samus and Sheik will return as separate playable characters on the roster. He noted that no characters will be able to change form in this iteration of Smash Bros. (i.e. Samus/Zero Suit Samus and Zelda/Sheik). Yoshi is also returning as a playable character.

Earlier: Series creator Masahiro Sakurai stated during the Nintendo Direct stream that Super Smash Bros. 3DS will be released this Summer. The Wii U version will be released at a later date, some time during the Winter of this year.

According to Sakurai, the 3DS version will run at 60 FPS. He notes that some of the Pokemon will move at 30 FPS, but the characters will always run at 60.

Additionally, the 3DS version stages will each have two themes. The Wii U version will differ in that it will let you choose between a ton of past Smash themes.

Click images for larger versions

Hit the jump for more details from the Nintendo Direct feed, and the stream archive.

More Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS info

• The Wii U version will have online play, like Brawl.
- Sakurai recommends using a LAN adapter for online on Wii U.

• You can play with friends online, or choose to play in 2 other modes: For Fun and For Glory mode.

• There will be no ranking for online mode, but there will be a form of match making.

• 3DS has online multiplayer as well. Requires stable connection.

• Many people played on Final Destination, now many stages have a Final Destination like platform.

• Global Smash Power is a new ranking system,

• All characters that used to change forms, no longer do.

• Custom move sets have been revealed, and you can only use them against friends online or locally.

• A new game mode will be available only on 3DS called, Smash Run. This is a battle game of up to 4 players where you search a dungeon-like stage for power ups. After a 5 min time limit the powered up fighters compete in a free-for-all.

• Temporary bans will be handed out to players who:

- Start a match and don't play.
- Relentlessly target an individual player.
- Repeatedly self-destruct.
- Frequently drop from the match.
- Cheat.

Comments

SummerUndercover said on April 8, 2014 at 3:10 p.m.

My first reaction was disappointment that they're releasing them separately but it's no big deal. At least they're both scheduled for this year... for now.

Memanruler said on April 8, 2014 at 3:11 p.m.

inb4 Delays

RenyNoise said on April 8, 2014 at 3:13 p.m.

Cause they want to trap 3DS's. I see you Nintendo.

Gamogo said on April 8, 2014 at 3:14 p.m.

What news category is this story filed under?

jimk23 said on April 8, 2014 at 3:14 p.m.

I'll be playing the 3ds while I wait for the wii u version. Not that bad.

Slidikins said on April 8, 2014 at 3:14 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrWL4E... Live presentation going on right now.

Gurpwnder said on April 8, 2014 at 3:31 p.m.

I hope their Final Destination isn't like Brawl's Final Destination.

Also, I always thought of Battlefield as the most neutral stage.

RenyNoise said on April 8, 2014 at 3:32 p.m.

Custom move sets.

They broke the game.

Arakune said on April 8, 2014 at 3:40 p.m.

GRENINJA IS PLAYABLE OH MY GOD

omglonghair said on April 8, 2014 at 3:41 p.m.

Holy crap greninja and charizard playable!!!!

Dracos_Wrath said on April 8, 2014 at 3:41 p.m.

Greninja with Decapre's Ultra!!

AttorneyMayCry said on April 8, 2014 at 3:42 p.m.

Dat Mega Man final smash though

xShonuffx said on April 8, 2014 at 3:42 p.m.

Whelp I have a reason to get a 3DS now.

Gorehound said on April 8, 2014 at 3:42 p.m.

This game is going to be played more on the 3DS than the WiiU.

TheOtherTensei said on April 8, 2014 at 3:43 p.m.

A possible reference perhaps?

Even so, I am quite stoked for the release. I may even consider competing.

mechmaster90 said on April 8, 2014 at 3:44 p.m.

They said custom move sets is only offline, likely to be unlockables through adventure mode stuff.

Lots of cool stuff though, it was worth watching. I don't care about that new pokemon much, but that new ZSS look was just ZOMG xD

omglonghair said on April 8, 2014 at 3:44 p.m.

Thankgod I won a free 3DS so I can play this game!!

TrueGamingGuru said on April 8, 2014 at 3:44 p.m.

It is under Top Stories category, if you were wondering. So if you happen to filter a certain game, chances are that Top Stories or General can easily nullify it meaning that the game you filter will end up showing.

Dracos_Wrath said on April 8, 2014 at 3:45 p.m.

How? It's just for friendlies and still it just gives you more options. It's like saying that being able to select your Ultra in AE makes the game broken.

Oh man, I'm so getting a Wii U or a 3DS just for this game. Probably a Wii U to play with friends. I wasn't expecting Sakurai trolling about ZSS. Glad she's getting buffed!!

Gotomaster said on April 8, 2014 at 3:45 p.m.

Guess they gave up on the WiiU, considering everyone's just going to jump on the 3ds version.

SpiceyChicken said on April 8, 2014 at 3:46 p.m.

Never complained about characters choices but Greninja is so why.

P0LARCLAW said on April 8, 2014 at 3:46 p.m.

I'm so salty. My two favorite potential newcomers (Ridley and Samurai Goroh) are confirmed not playable and instead we get Charizard.

LitchiFayeLing said on April 8, 2014 at 3:46 p.m.

Sakurai trolled me so damn hard...

ToastyDMY said on April 8, 2014 at 3:47 p.m.

INB4 CUSTOM MOVES BECOME SXT GEMS/SF4 OPTION SELECT

xShonuffx said on April 8, 2014 at 3:48 p.m.

OR. They probably felt a Wii U release is better for winter. It was probably planned to release both in the Summer but due to the Wii U's lack of sales, they need a killer this Christmas.

SummerUndercover said on April 8, 2014 at 3:48 p.m.

G-Greninja! What an awesome and unexpected roster choice. Too cool.

LitchiFayeLing said on April 8, 2014 at 3:48 p.m.

Year of blondes confirmed, ZSS, Peach, Rosalina, leggo PogChamp

MetroCityPub said on April 8, 2014 at 3:49 p.m.

Sheik and Zero Suit back? Heck yeah.

hazelnut1112 said on April 8, 2014 at 3:50 p.m.

Oh man, that Greninja is so hype.

Sanox said on April 8, 2014 at 3:50 p.m.

greninja with the chipp super

dat zero suit samus beauty mark tho. hawt

really weird choice to release the 3ds version first considering how the wii u is doing

GiganV3 said on April 8, 2014 at 3:51 p.m.

That Smash run mode looks miles better than the Subspace mode in Brawl.

LitchiFayeLing said on April 8, 2014 at 3:52 p.m.

**** year, best starter goin in. That Fennekin whore regulated to a pokeball

T_BaginELF said on April 8, 2014 at 3:52 p.m.

DAT megaman.DAT greninja,DAT Charizard.HYPE OVERLOAD!!!!

TrueGamingGuru said on April 8, 2014 at 3:54 p.m.

I'm definitely planning on pre ordering the 3DS version, and I'll wait for the Wii U version. I'm pretty curious about the custom move list & the new Smash Run mode.

@RenyNoise

Lets not jump to conclusions yet. Besides the game hasn't been released yet, so what you think is broken could be proven wrong as long as its balanced and well executed. The answers is when the game gets released.

@mechmaster90

Are you sure about the custom movelist being offline only. Because it was mention that "Custom move sets have been revealed, and you can only use them against friends online or locally." unless if the details were completely incorrect.

@Gotomaster

I wouldn't go as far to say they've gave up on the Wii U version, besides Bandai Namco is responsible for the 3DS port. While the Wii U version is being developed by Sora Ltd. which is Sakurai's team.

suicidali said on April 8, 2014 at 3:54 p.m.

Greninja was a certainly a surprise. Nice to see the other characters back as well, Zero Suit Samus is looking pretty sweet.

Captain Falcon when?

Gotomaster said on April 8, 2014 at 3:55 p.m.

Yeah, but most people already have a 3ds over WiiU, plus there won't be any substantial difference between the two. Lastly, the gap between Winter and Summer is huge, many people will have already got the game by then, making the WiiU version irrelevant. If they wanted the WiiU as the prime seller, why not release both simultaneous on Winter?

RunnersKnee said on April 8, 2014 at 3:57 p.m.

So if the roster no longer changes forms, that means mega charizard and mega lucario will be playable too!!
Or are they final smashes of the said characters?

kingkwasia said on April 8, 2014 at 4 p.m.

29 CHARACTERS!!! @@

NyuBomber said on April 8, 2014 at 4:01 p.m.

Most definitely their Final Smashes. The transformation change was in separating distinct characters and their movesets from each other, whereas Mega- Lucario and Charizord will likely have powered-up versions of their existing movesets.

SnakeX said on April 8, 2014 at 4:02 p.m.

100% coincidence. Maximum Spider-esque moves are a pretty standard go-to thing for ninjas/speedy characters.

Thrashballer said on April 8, 2014 at 4:04 p.m.

That Mega Man Final Smash ;_;

Jillicious said on April 8, 2014 at 4:06 p.m.

It's been a while since I've been this exhilarated. Greninja's reveal was simply amazing!

shumathorath said on April 8, 2014 at 4:07 p.m.

Zs samus looks so amazing gameplay and graphics wise. And that charizard trailer was pretty GDLK sadly there's a 99.999999% chance the mega evolutions are the final smash.

TrueGamingGuru said on April 8, 2014 at 4:08 p.m.

I just notice this after I put up my comment. These are pretty interesting choices on putting temporary bans, but some of the details I got bit confused.

What do these details mean?

Start a match and don't play: What do they mean by don't play, is that suppose to mean rage quit? I would understand if that was meant to punish rage quitters.

Relentlessly target an individual player: How so? Is it gameplay related, or is it communication?

Repeatedly self-destruct: Is that suppose to mean keep throwing bombs at yourself or just jump off the stage?

They should've explain things better than that, like the Frequently drop from the match & Cheat which makes sense. I do am a bit worry about the online experience.

Gotomaster said on April 8, 2014 at 4:09 p.m.

The feeling I have right now is how I should have felt during the 5th character reveal.

Sanox said on April 8, 2014 at 4:11 p.m.

as iconic og mega is. every other mega man iteration would have been a cooler character..

Guyver said on April 8, 2014 at 4:15 p.m.

I think Greninja will fit really well in the smash universe, as he looks to be a combination of characters rolled into one (Sheik, Pikachu and Lucario). His up+B looks exactly like Pikachu's.

Shumanigans said on April 8, 2014 at 4:20 p.m.

A pokemon that I actually like? Playable in smash!?
Finally. Greninja all the way!

cphamv1 said on April 8, 2014 at 4:20 p.m.

Now that is how you do an announcement

MarthFE said on April 8, 2014 at 4:20 p.m.

I hear ya. Plus original megaman has been in everything... Exe is the coolest, most modern looking, and for his moves it would have been really awesome to have the battlechips. Just a thought, personally, I wanted exe.

H3ARTZ said on April 8, 2014 at 4:22 p.m.

Are tournaments going to do 'FOR GLORY' mode only?

Rage333 said on April 8, 2014 at 4:23 p.m.

Can someone explain me why this "Relentlessly target an individual player" should be reason for ban?

sk8rw0lf said on April 8, 2014 at 4:23 p.m.

i had the same thoughts, what would be relentlessly targeting an individual be, continuous battling? or what is the exact meaning behind starting a game and not playing? like they just stand there the entire match?

ridgezero said on April 8, 2014 at 4:30 p.m.

Geez this video doesn't start till around the 31:30 mark.

shumathorath said on April 8, 2014 at 4:31 p.m.

every one should just play mario kart till brawl

riku45 said on April 8, 2014 at 4:42 p.m.

its like you join a free for all with your friends but you then go for everyone else except each other. Happens in most game that all you to join free for all as a party

ShadowGeno said on April 8, 2014 at 4:45 p.m.
Scourge739 said on April 8, 2014 at 4:46 p.m.

wait. something just crossed my mind.
if smash is coming out for the 3DS this summer. . .
then how big is that roster gonna be? i hope it's not smaller than brawl's.

Scourge739 said on April 8, 2014 at 4:48 p.m.

but that aside.

THAT DIRECT WAS GODLIKE. Greninja looks sick. i may try him out when the game drops. and i like the whole FD form for every stage. that's pretty thoughtful of sakurai.

Scourge739 said on April 8, 2014 at 4:50 p.m.

now, all I(everyone) needs is a good netcode. after that. you can have my wallet.

RoboBoomByYahh said on April 8, 2014 at 4:55 p.m.

This makes me want to win a Wii U.

Superpeople said on April 8, 2014 at 5:01 p.m.

Gurpwnder said on April 8, 2014 at 5:13 p.m.

I hope they reconsider their 'Final Destination' form of every stage or consider adding a 'Battlefield' form too.

Guybrush20X6 said on April 8, 2014 at 5:15 p.m.

The Mario/Charizard picture isn't working.

MaysTheCraze said on April 8, 2014 at 5:20 p.m.

Zero Suit Samus is back?! And she has jet powered boots?! #kreygasm

Keyblade said on April 8, 2014 at 5:23 p.m.

Woooo, glad to see Zero Suit make it back in. Got my chick back now.

GirlsOfGaming said on April 8, 2014 at 5:40 p.m.

looks like zero suit samus will move like she did in haloid.

Jalenp69 said on April 8, 2014 at 5:47 p.m.

I think the FD form of stages is not that all the stages are in FD form, but for each of the stages, there is an FD form if you want to play FD but want the stage to be different.

akillyz said on April 8, 2014 at 5:55 p.m.

Releasing the 3DS version first is so smart...

msdrakegx said on April 8, 2014 at 6:02 p.m.

This entire Nintendo direct got me so hyped for this new game! All of the characters are looking much better now than they did in Brawl and the game seems a lot faster too.

All I ever really wanted was a competitive online mode in Super Smash Bros. Once they announced that, I was sold

Utils said on April 8, 2014 at 6:12 p.m.

Nintendo is really trying with all these additions.

Yung said on April 8, 2014 at 6:16 p.m.

THE TRAILER WAS SOOOOOO SICK ! But what I wanted to say is that I hope there's also a way you can play Charizard Y in this game. I saw the Charizard X on the trailer, and if you can't play the two versions of the character, that would be a letdown for me. If I ever get a Wii U and Smash Bros., I would def main Charizard. One of my favorite Pokémons, a beast in competitive battling, now finally making a Smash Bros. debut, I'm really excited !

TheTHCGamer said on April 8, 2014 at 6:23 p.m.

Well I'm scared for the netcode I'll tell you that much but that being said I have two official Nintendo lan adapters. Loving the reveals today has been great in terms of gaming.

StriderHiryu said on April 8, 2014 at 6:31 p.m.

Even more characters that I will be using! That makes the entire 30 character roster so far! I'm so looking forward playing as every single one of these characters!

Eye_of_Orochi said on April 8, 2014 at 6:33 p.m.

My hopes for Jigglypuff dwindle further :(

TheTHCGamer said on April 8, 2014 at 6:38 p.m.

A temporary ban for relentlessly targeting an individual player? That s**** needs to go it lots if people are going to get temporary bans. This is smash you have to deal with multiple opponents attacking at once. Tripping all over again.

AkumaShadow said on April 8, 2014 at 7:02 p.m.

HAIL NINTENDO!!!

EnsignHiro said on April 8, 2014 at 7:17 p.m.

This game looks great csnt wait

SmokeRulz said on April 8, 2014 at 7:23 p.m.

I AM VIBRATING WITH HYPE

My man Yoshi is finally here too, and he's finally been slightly anthroized like Bowser.

icejohn said on April 8, 2014 at 7:29 p.m.

OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS WAS SO HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Galletano said on April 8, 2014 at 7:35 p.m.

I wanted squirtle.

cuzzo said on April 8, 2014 at 7:39 p.m.

when I click on the Mario and charizard pic, the greninja pic comes up every time. all the others pop up properly except the charizard and Mario pic or is it just me?

AugustAPC said on April 8, 2014 at 7:57 p.m.

This game looks amazing. Brawl was a bit of a let down (still had fun with it), but this game seems to be taking a lot of huge steps in the right direction. I love that they've gotten rid of transformations. Each character deserves to be its own.

So many characters I want to play. Can't decide!

AugustAPC said on April 8, 2014 at 8:09 p.m.

Loving wire-frame Little Mac! I'm less enthused that the male Wii Fit Trainer was included. Somehow, it seems to make the character feel more generic to me... less unique. The Wii Fit Trainer was pretty generic in general, but in this game they added quite a lot of personality... but with multiple models... it makes it feel like just an avatar again :(

otakujin said on April 8, 2014 at 8:24 p.m.

bans for
Start a match and don't play. - bs, some people have s*** suddenly interrupt their game time.
Relentlessly target an individual player. - bs again, who wouldn't target a pro or someone they hate IN A GAME.
self-destruct. - more bs, why is this an issue?
dropping from the match - some people have crap connections.
the only good reason for a ban is cheating

chipndip said on April 8, 2014 at 8:33 p.m.

Playing online is about actually playing the damn game online. After Brawl's "taunt parties", I can see all the justification of doing this. They don't want online sessions to be a freaking joke like the taunt parties were. It makes the whole community look bad.

TheTHCGamer said on April 8, 2014 at 9:58 p.m.

I agree with everything you stated with the exception of crap connections because if your connection is really that bad you better off not playing online.

jimmyeatsquaids said on April 8, 2014 at 11:58 p.m.

everything looks great...but I'm getting nervous captain falcon isn't going to make it in :/

msdrakegx said on April 9, 2014 at 8:29 a.m.

I wouldn't be, there's almost no chance he doesn't make it in

TheTHCGamer said on April 9, 2014 at 9:40 a.m.

Exactly are you kidding me he's going to make the roster and will most likely be in every smash released be patient still so many characters to be announced.

Ittouryoudan said on April 9, 2014 at 9:51 a.m.

That Zero Suit.. So many characters I'm looking forward to, Summer can't come any slower.

Syirine said on April 9, 2014 at 11:10 a.m.

Dixie Kong..... show yourself!

Snow said on April 9, 2014 at 8:22 p.m.

Thank got "For Glory" is limited to Final Destination. It's not like there's another generic well balanced stage with three platforms that could easily be added to the rotation or anything.

Other than that though, I'm pretty happy. Kind of wish there was an online mode you could play with your Custom Movesets against non-friends though and just have it not record wins or loses.

And hey; Krystal, Issac, Tingle, and CustomRobos weren't revealed as trophies so maybe there's a little hope left.

Undead_Hayabusa said on April 10, 2014 at 8:21 a.m.

...kinda ruin the uniqueness of the Pokemon trainer if charizard is by himself but I get it,get one of the all times favs in there I guess..

Gogashi said on April 15, 2014 at 3:52 p.m.

I feel you man, nothing was as satisfying as hitting a rest as the final blow.