BrolyLegs featured in his hometown's newspaper: Discusses his overcoming of challenges growing up and the quest for independence

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • April 7, 2014 at 11:08 a.m. PDT

Mike Begum III, better known in our community as BrolyLegs, was diagnosed with Arthrogryposis at birth. This disorder limits muscle development, and has undoubtedly made life very difficult for the 25 year-old gamer. However, that hasn't stopped Broly from pursuing his life's goal: Independence.

A publication in Broly's hometown of Brownsville, Texas, recently featured the accomplished Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition v2012 Chun-Li player in one of their newspaper articles. The piece is very well-written, and gives us an inside look at Broly's life growing up in Texas, and how he's managed to overcome numerous hurdles to get where he is now.

As many may already be aware, Broly uses a combination of his face and tongue to play SSF4 AE v2012 competitively. This method isn't only applied to gaming, however, as Broly used chopsticks held in between his teeth to type up papers in college, and eventually, to write his autobiography, My Life Beyond the Floor.

Hit the jump to continue reading.

Above all else, Begum's greatest challenge growing up was getting around. Finding various wheelchairs too uncomfortable, his father, a welder, used the base of a power wheelchair to create a bed in which Broly could assume a more comfortable position: lying on his stomach.

Broly's father served not only as a loving parent, but also as the primary mastermind behind creating new technology to help better his son's day-to-day living. Unfortunately, after his father's passing four years ago, Begum has had to find fresh ways of improving his accessibility.

The goal of acquiring an independent life-style is still Broly's main focus, and he aims to use the proceeds of his autobiography to help better his life through science. His mother, Josefina Fisher, wishes only to see her son living independently, and the family is currently attempting to build a "futuristic home," of sorts, that will allow Broly to live comfortably.

Broly knows this won't be an easy task, but with the proceeds of his book, he strives to make it a reality. "It’s important to me because I love living. I love life. My biggest fear is quitting.”

For the full article, and more on Mike "BrolyLegs" Begum III, be sure to check out the Brownsville Herald's piece.

You can purchase BrolyLegs' autobiography, My Life Beyond the Floor, via digital download over on Amazon for $9.99 USD.

Source: The Brownsville Herald. Via BrolyLegs on Twitter.

Comments

Balomero said on April 7, 2014 at 11:13 a.m.

Total inspiration to me and others I hope.

sarif2soon said on April 7, 2014 at 11:16 a.m.

"Broly uses a combination of his face and tongue to play SSF4 AE v2012 competitively."

I can only imagine what his french kissing execution is like.

IMainDanHibiki said on April 7, 2014 at 11:22 a.m.

Sarif, stop it! xD

xianmsg said on April 7, 2014 at 11:26 a.m.

An inspiration to everyone. Hope he is able to achieve all he can and more!!

jme said on April 7, 2014 at 11:28 a.m.

Broly legs looks like JonTron in that Thumbnail.

Remondo02 said on April 7, 2014 at 11:28 a.m.

Archaik said on April 7, 2014 at 11:29 a.m.

I also find him very inspiring. My own problems in life pale in comparison.

MRN_SirFoxington said on April 7, 2014 at 11:31 a.m.

I saw Mr Begum playing yesterday at the texas showdown with his chun li.

He delivered great games and its so mind boggling to see how he plays. amazing.

Sadly, i also was in the stream channel and saw many uncouthed people making fun of him because of his disability . Its a shame how people look down on individuals these days with a handicap.

People who have both arms and legs a 100% Functioning should feel blessed ! People love to forget how good they got it in life at most times...
q

MRN_SirFoxington said on April 7, 2014 at 11:33 a.m.

I saw Mr Begum playing yesterday at the texas showdown with his chun li.

He delivered great games and its so mind boggling to see how he plays. amazing.

Remondo02 said on April 7, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

GodPride said on April 7, 2014 at 11:47 a.m.

Am I the only one who's been reading BrolyLegs as BrolicLegs the entire time and thought its intent was to be ironic?

Terraryzing said on April 7, 2014 at 11:49 a.m.

i bow before this guy. hes plays better then i ever will

mnz said on April 7, 2014 at 11:50 a.m.

I was reading the chat and it was super positive, you're imagining things.

RedRapperSux said on April 7, 2014 at 11:51 a.m.

It's top tier.

sarif2soon said on April 7, 2014 at 11:56 a.m.

There's a comment by his mom in there...

RedRapperSux said on April 7, 2014 at 11:58 a.m.

Broly handles it extremely well. He might even handle it better than any FGC player. Even Broly does Broly jokes.

Dracos_Wrath said on April 7, 2014 at noon

Not this again please.
FGC ISN'T full of stupid people, the whole internet is. Go play CoD and see for yourself, heck, even in a cards game you get people like this:

Spaghetti_Time said on April 7, 2014 at 12:01 p.m.

Brolylegs makes fun of himself more than anyone. He's accepted the inevitable which allows him to have a great sense of humor about his condition.

And there was one about raffling off his legs or something. So yeah, stream monsters make jokes at his expense, but there's nothing but love for him.

A friend once said "No one can make fun of me better than me."

RedRapperSux said on April 7, 2014 at 12:07 p.m.

I think it is supposed to be ironic. But I always pictured Broly from DBZ. You already know Broly can squat a damn galaxy if he wanted.

deBeast said on April 7, 2014 at 12:23 p.m.

Respect

Zombie4u said on April 7, 2014 at 12:45 p.m.

Broly's name is a Dragon Ball reference. This guy is an inspiring man to be sure. His book is also an excellent read.

Josefina said on April 7, 2014 at 1:07 p.m.

Mad love for Event Hub, as Broly's mom I like to thank you for this great honor. My amazing son is so humbled as his family for all the honorees bestowed upon him this past week. I like to ask that everyone buy his book that he worked so hard to write. It took him a year and a couple of chopsticks later and here we have his book "My Life Beyond the floor". Every sale of the book helps us get him off the floor and beyond to a better life. And I have to say to all the people that make fun of my son I will pray for you. And only wish you a better life then the one we have everyday with my son. He never complains and is a true champion. We are doing a book tour and need sponsors to help wrap his van with the book cover $2,500. We need sponsors who want their company logo see all over the country. If interested please contact me @ josiefisher1960@gmail.com. God bless you all and buy the book. It will help you see what life truly can be if you never give up. Mad respect to his brother Jonathan Max Begum he brakes his back every day to get him off the floor. I love you both.

MCZ_Ryu said on April 7, 2014 at 1:18 p.m.

Love u too ;)

Josefina said on April 7, 2014 at 1:20 p.m.
sarif2soon said on April 7, 2014 at 1:33 p.m.

Tryin' to make a move on Broly's mom, huh?

BlackOnyxThunder said on April 7, 2014 at 1:44 p.m.

I wish I could beat the crap out of people just by using my face and tongue. Broly IS an inspiration though. :)

danny2times said on April 7, 2014 at 2:17 p.m.

I would like to help you guys out with that. I'm in the automotive prototype industry,I have a good friend around that area I will forward your info. I'm sure they'd be happy to wrap the van. Best wishes and god bless!

Josefina said on April 7, 2014 at 2:36 p.m.

I'm crying right now. OMG your are very kind . Please do make that call and thank you . Tell me where you are and when we come to your town or state we will stop by to see you personalty.

Josie

Shinkutatsumaki said on April 7, 2014 at 2:38 p.m.

I have the utmost respect for Brolylegs. With all that he was able to accomplish in his life, I know that he has infinite potential. The sky is the limit dude keep it up!

SunsetLaw said on April 7, 2014 at 3:15 p.m.

We can all learn from this. Great article of a strong man !

ElectricBlanka said on April 7, 2014 at 4:10 p.m.

Writing a book is one of the hardest challenges in life. It takes much much sacrifice and dedication to complete one. Much respect to the BrolyLegs!

shmickmik said on April 7, 2014 at 4:18 p.m.

I'll just put this here ...

"Here is an excerpt from the book wherein Mike describes how JP Candidate Yolanda Begum ordered him out of his home after his dad died

Remondo02 said on April 7, 2014 at 5:04 p.m.

PJ627 said on April 7, 2014 at 5:39 p.m.

Broly too godlike!

Sweet_Violence said on April 7, 2014 at 6:36 p.m.

That's terrible. :(

Wintry said on April 7, 2014 at 8:06 p.m.

I salute you, Broly.

rosy said on April 7, 2014 at 9:52 p.m.

This really good inspiration. Topic like this needs to bring more

SpiderUppercut said on April 7, 2014 at 11:20 p.m.

Shoutouts to BrolyLegs!

Solid Chun.

FuriouS said on April 8, 2014 at 1:55 a.m.

BrolyLegs a true inspiration

Stompnik said on April 8, 2014 at 4:54 a.m.

In my opinion he has to be considered the best SF player in the world right now if you think about his handicap. Good luck for your future, Broly!

chubbyfingerz said on April 9, 2014 at 7:18 a.m.

Everyone loves Broly, when he gets on stream the stream gets hype and the crowd gets hype and when he lost and tossed his pad it was hilarious, dude got mad salty and it's as funny when he gets salty as it is when anyone else does. I hope that Valmaster's recent success inspires Broly, but keep in mind that the dude plays with a very unconventional button configuration which limits his options even further. Dude is a BEAST simply put