GamerBee: Street Fighter X Tekken didn't take off because it was the wrong timing, could use a patch

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • April 2, 2014 at 7:22 p.m. PDT

Speaking with Hold Back to Block last month at Winter Brawl 8, AVM|GamerBee expressed some thoughts about Street Fighter X Tekken, and why it didn't take off with the community.

Opinions on the title are fairly polarizing, with some people being huge fans and others hating the game.

GamerBee said that SFxT was "pretty good," but it could use another patch, preferably before the next Capcom Cup in December. He wanted the patch to fix some of the issues the community expressed.

He felt that the game suffered from bad timing, but also noted he no longer plays it anymore.

Hit the jump to continue reading, and check out the interview for yourself.

When asked about his character selection in Ultra Street Fighter 4, GamerBee said that since he's played Adon for so long, he'll still keep using him, but he wants to try something new after playing the same guy for 2-3 years.

He specifically said he's interested in playing Elena in the new version.

Check out the video below which also features AverMedia's Kelvin Jeon, as he talks about how he got his start in the company and other subjects.

Video from Hold Back to Block.

Comments

xxMarshy said on April 2, 2014 at 7:24 p.m.

Street Fighter x Tekken never stood a chance after the on disc dlc fiasco, doesn't matter if it's a good game or not, after that the community already made up it's mind that it's the worst game ever.

SadisticSamurai said on April 2, 2014 at 7:25 p.m.

Or just Capcom not rushing it out to market like they did.... Jus Sayin.

DunnDeal said on April 2, 2014 at 7:29 p.m.

SFxT just wasn't a great game AT ALL on launch. The DLC on disc, 2 customization colors, sound cutting out online, Cammy walk up jabs into launcher. The patch made everything so much better. If it was like that on launch, SFxT would have a lot more support than it does now

KTProsper said on April 2, 2014 at 7:31 p.m.

With more time they wouldve thought twice about adding a gem system that wasnt necessary. That tu rn off many people as well.

Annon said on April 2, 2014 at 7:32 p.m.

Some ads on your site are opening popups, often more than one. This time I got http://loa.teebik.com/lp_many_queens_..., but I've had worse. Please contact your AD provider and have them look into the issue. I'd rather not have to use a NoScript + AdBlock combo to ban ADs and the anti-ad script.

SMK_King said on April 2, 2014 at 7:32 p.m.

Should have been F2P

Catalyst said on April 2, 2014 at 7:35 p.m.

As an FYI, we're switching ad networks at the end of this month, May 1st to be exact, we'll be switched over.

If you can hold out just a bit longer, it'd be most appreciated.

SoftShocks said on April 2, 2014 at 7:42 p.m.

Personally i enjoy SFxT more that AE

RomeMc said on April 2, 2014 at 7:46 p.m.

pay to win gems, ABC launch combos, and $20 on disc dlc killed this game for me.

xShonuffx said on April 2, 2014 at 7:49 p.m.

I just think the Gems could be done with and focus on making Pandora viable but that's wishful thinking.

gigantor21 said on April 2, 2014 at 7:50 p.m.

The game itself was pretty bland before the big 2013 patch. It's okay now, but it took way too long to get there. Between that, the on-disc DLC and the paid gem nonsense, it had far too many self-inflicted wounds out of the gate to catch on. Either for the FGC players or more casual buyers.

SpiderUppercut said on April 2, 2014 at 7:50 p.m.

I guess bypassing an Arcade version didn't help much either!

GodPride said on April 2, 2014 at 7:53 p.m.

The game is ugly as sin. The skittle and oil filter is what ultimately did the game in.

Eye_of_Orochi said on April 2, 2014 at 7:53 p.m.

SFxT went through A LOT of craziness in less than a year. In other words, if they waited another year to release the game it could have been a better starting product. I've never been a hater, but there were a couple of periods where playing was difficult to stomach (those cheap ass assist gems, the netcode at one point, character balance was awful at first, jab pressure shenanigans, glitches)

It didn't help that all of the pros, who should be the best at showing off the game's potential, were playing the game like SSF4. Timeouts were rampant with overly safe gameplay and nobody knowing how to maximize damage. Gems WEREN'T EVEN BEING USED! Hate or love them, they are an integral part of the game. Meter building and Damage gems can help you close the deal and win more efficiently. It was an utter lack of pretty much anyone doing anything to propel the game in it's own direction and show off the tech and possibilities of character/gem combinations.

shinra358 said on April 2, 2014 at 7:53 p.m.

Take out auto launching. Everybody will become happy.

kaeshi said on April 2, 2014 at 8 p.m.

boring abc combos and god awful graphics are what put me off of the game. That and the fact i couldnt get a lag free game online when ssf4 plays nice and smooth for me.

Ralycer said on April 2, 2014 at 8:01 p.m.

Agree with gamerbee does need another Patch but i want capcom took take their time until game is how its suppose to be.

TrainTrackJack said on April 2, 2014 at 8:08 p.m.

thats hilarious my friend ive never seen anything quite like that and to see it on Ehubs just makes my day sorry for your inconvenience though its sucks that a site as hype as Ehubs blast ya with such material not that its ALL their fault. On a side note EHubs your awesome your material is much appreciated Catlist,DramKang,and all the other staff you guys are indeed awesome. Dont let anyone tell ya any diffrent. Also on a completely diffrent note What ever happened to Jason24cf?? if ya dont mind me asking.

RandomSelectMaster said on April 2, 2014 at 8:14 p.m.

This game needs a part 2! Make sure that the next version has these things, and it would be amazing:

More characters
Better graphics

Although I haven't played it in a while myself, I enjoyed the game. The Tekken characters being in 2D, Street Fighter style, added a lot! The different play styles and moves made this game DEEP! Too bad the game gets a bad rap, but I think it still has a chance if a new update or part 2 comes out!

jhayze said on April 2, 2014 at 8:19 p.m.

SFxT was definitely a rushed game, and around the time that Capcom and Ono think too highly and cocky of themselves that whatever fighting game they release will be turn out gold

when the game was released... lots of bugs and glitches, unbalanced moves and specials, dull system mechanics, online net coding is horrible, etc. yup this game wasn't fully tested and rushed!

then also came the 'On Disc Content'

after all that fiasco, came the horrible Balance Patch Update, buffing good characters more better, purging of SF characters, etc

dont get me wrong i play this game more than SSF4AE, and yes this game need another balance patch update

djm0001 said on April 2, 2014 at 8:22 p.m.

The gem system was a big turn off for me, then the neon colors, topped off with extremely annoying sound effects. The on-disc DLC goes without saying.

Zanpakto said on April 2, 2014 at 8:24 p.m.

Sfxt problems *Game itself*
-Dull colors and graphics
-Too many gems
-Boost chains!, needs to concentrate more on links
-Some Safe boost chains
-Weird pushbacks on normals
-Matches are too long
-repeatitive and long juggle system
-Characters don't have enough personality
-Tag cancels are too frequent
-long stages
-Very bad music and some sound effects are bad
-Neon colors
-Insane hitboxes
-Cross assault too random cause of CPU
-Needs to reward offense better something like GuardCrush
-Long animations

Basically the main problems i've seen people complain but aside from this the game is very creative and you can express more your style of play in this game then most fighters out there very underrated game hopefully this game gets a patch has the potential to be the best fighter out there.

Redblaze27 said on April 2, 2014 at 8:25 p.m.

The On-Disc DLC fiasco & Gems are what held the game back.

G0dmqsteR said on April 2, 2014 at 8:28 p.m.

The game itself is just boring. If the game was truly good, the on-disc DLC fiasco would have been overlooked. Personally, I just become angry for seemingly no reason when I play it. It's just all the little missteps in their approach to the game and the weird concepts that make it bad.

GreedyMcGurgleburg said on April 2, 2014 at 8:29 p.m.

It didn't work because it incorporates too many Tekken mechanics. People expected it to be a street fighter game.

The DLC doomed the game, the bugs pissed people off, the game was rushed.

Sorry a patch would be money wasted. Stop listening to pro gamers Capcom. Quit hiring pro gamers to work on your games other than beta testing.

It's like watching a sinking ship that has 15 captains all trying to tell the others what to do. Don't sink more money into things that didn't work. Start a next gen fighting game. Take as many risks as you can. Put the company on the line. That way if it fails we won't have to have these conversation about patches.

Izick said on April 2, 2014 at 8:35 p.m.

I wished i could have worked for this game i know most problems with this game especially once people dont mention in this game, it has so much potential lets hope its gets patched.

HooliganComboFTW said on April 2, 2014 at 8:37 p.m.

The game was blacklisted like another victim of McCarthyism. Game stood no chance with the amount of negative scandal surrounding the game. Whether the game itself was good or not was irrelevent since people dropped the game hard despite the last patch making the game somewhat tolerable.

TrueGamingGuru said on April 2, 2014 at 8:39 p.m.

Street Fighter X Tekken isn't the worst fighter game ever, but this game just didn't get the proper treatment as Street Fighter IV or Tekken series when it comes to Arcade releases. (SFXT should've released an Arcade ver. before ever releasing it to the consoles) Even the game didn't get proper testing when it came the game mechanics, character balance, bugs/glitches, & Gem System. (it could've had a Beta Version for people to try out like DOA5 Alpha Demo & PSASBR Private/Public Beta)

Parts of the game mechanics, character movelist, & Gem System were pretty solid concepts and could've make a pretty solid fighter game. But the real downside was just poor execution, very bad launch, and on disc DLC. (which has been going on for quite awhile before SFXT became that controversy game with the DLC)

Heck, there are other fighter games worst than SFXT. Lets just say SFXT is decent, but its not a very well executed game.

Gotomaster said on April 2, 2014 at 8:41 p.m.

Street Fighter X Tekken, the Man Of Steel of Fighting games.

samuraix025 said on April 2, 2014 at 8:43 p.m.

None of The pre patch stuff bothered me because like any one of rational thought I knew I would be getting the dlc either way. What killed the game for me was the tekken characters. Op air crush moves That led into stupid damage.also Guy was finally close to how he was in alpha 3 but when I found out his elbow had no air hit box I was done

TrueGamingGuru said on April 2, 2014 at 8:45 p.m.

That also just remind Me of something, if CVS can have a sequel than so can SFXT. If SFIV can get so many patches even new content than SFXT should get the same. That's just wishful thinking, but who knows I would like to see something new from SFXT in some form or shape.

Ryunipotent said on April 2, 2014 at 8:50 p.m.

Ralycer said on April 2, 2014 at 8:51 p.m.

Exactly what capcom should be doing since marvel wont be getting any updates and ono is working in another fighting, combofiend and ayano could work together to make this Happen.

TrueGamingGuru said on April 2, 2014 at 8:59 p.m.

I can at least agree to that, besides there hasn't been another Capcom fighter game in quite awhile. (other than SF related) As of the moment SFXT is currently the only brand new fighter game that isn't a rerelease nor an update. (like what Ultra SFIV is going to be despite the new characters & extra content) There are plenty of Capcom Fighters that could get a chance of returning. Good point

DevilMaySpy said on April 2, 2014 at 8:59 p.m.

Absolutely nothing could save SF X T at this point.

Parcour_Robfox said on April 2, 2014 at 9:02 p.m.

You know what, i'm really sick of people trying to make excuses for this game.

It never took off because capcom soaked all of our faith out of them with the dlc thing, was highly anticipated for great gameplay which it does not have, the gems are stupid, and they could have done so much more with the sf characters. Moveset wise, stiry wise, everything.

It's not a horrible game but it is pretty bad. Can't we just stop making excuses for this failed fantasy attempt and look forward to Tekken X Street Figter?

FuriouS said on April 2, 2014 at 9:11 p.m.

People are beating on a dead horse at this point. Capcom need to stand up for what they did, take this game out of its misery and bury all the remaining copies in the desert

GiganV3 said on April 2, 2014 at 9:15 p.m.

I enjoy it greatly and would welcome a patch. More slots for customized colors please!

Atoolkit said on April 2, 2014 at 9:19 p.m.

Turned mine on this morning. Tried a couple of trials, then Dan pops up and starts telling me that I can buy one button combos from the PS Store.

Switched it off.

Kalyx_triaD said on April 2, 2014 at 9:21 p.m.

People who still complain about 12 characters for $20 are either liars or have extremely isolated gaming habits.

FakeVariable said on April 2, 2014 at 9:23 p.m.

I Think the game has potential to be really good. However, it seems like capcom used it as an experiment to test out new fighting game revenue streams and sales models. Unfortunately these ideas were terrible and that led to most people giving up on the game without giving it a fair shake through no fault of their own, myself included for the most part.

IMO they should have made it more similar to a cvs2/kof style game and forgone the tag system anyway, or at least implemented it differently.

Eternal said on April 2, 2014 at 9:29 p.m.

Remove boost combos, add unique chains to the SF cast.

Increase throw ranges. Remove camera angle change on throw.

Increase walk speeds for about 2/3rds of the cast

Adjust how juggles work to reduce overall juggle count and increase the value of resets as well as grounded combos.

Adjust limits on custom colors to remove things like all-black characters or using metal/neon colors for the largest parts of a character's body. (Neon/metal is fine, it just shouldn't be allowed for things like skin color, ect where it covers most of the character.) Also tone down the effect of neon/metal.

Speed up supers by about 10% across the board

chipndip said on April 2, 2014 at 9:45 p.m.

Unless it's a sequel, I don't even want to care anymore. Since it'll never be a sequel, I don't think I'll ever care anymore. All these articles do is give people reasons to voice why they personally don't like SF X TKN, or make excuses for why SF X TKN "just needs more time". Personally tired of being "that one guy" that likes this game among my friends. It's literally a joke...in the sense that SF X TKN is the group joke...outside of me.

It's just depressing at this point. For the sake of my feels, regardless of how much I may like it, I don't want to think about this game anymore.

Shozuhn said on April 2, 2014 at 10:01 p.m.

A game came out recently called BlazBlue. As soon as it was released, there was DLC for it available in the PSN store. But as long as it's not on a disk along with the game, no problem huh... ?
people...
*shakes head and walks away*

tokyobassist said on April 2, 2014 at 10:06 p.m.

This comment made me lol.

This game was weird for me. I liked it. I hated it. I enjoyed the roster. I despited the DLC.

Not a good game but I'd play it over plenty of other games but it wouldn't be at my go to list for other options.

Xykes said on April 2, 2014 at 10:11 p.m.

Yes, if there's one thing Ono strikes me as, it's "cocky".

The way he constantly apologizes for everything known to man, the way he dresses up in silly suits just to make us laugh, the way he literally sacrifices his health for the sake of his games...

What a cocky a-hole.

Right.

Anyways, I just got finished playing several hours of SFxT online. Plenty of lobbies, plenty of players still playing...even two years later.

Eternal said on April 2, 2014 at 10:14 p.m.

Blazblue CP has been out in japan for quite a while now. It didn't release with the DLC in japan. Though I personally think that they should have brought it over with all of the current DLC for free for western audiences given the delay.

ThinkJurgen said on April 2, 2014 at 10:18 p.m.

Things SFxT did right:

-game system (simplicity and complexity)
-diverse range of characters
-multitude of different combo options
-tutorials
-online gaming options (fighting, watching, training)
-strategy (gems expanded on player and character game plans)
-presentation (pre-release tournament brought hype)

Pandora was made because of complaints of X-Factor. Capcom made the option less dominate and more strategical to appeal to the community.

Ono stated years ago that he wanted to have one Ryu different from another, so you can see the difference in players more clearly. The gem system seems to have experimented with that idea.

Capcom and the Community needs to know that this game did a lot of things correctly and should continue to experiment. This is a solid game, especially after the latest patch was created.

Xykes said on April 2, 2014 at 10:22 p.m.

Also, game needs an arcade release for Japan to play it seriously.

If they patch the game, that would be a perfect opportunity to introduce an arcade version, using that new Nesica tech.

rosy said on April 2, 2014 at 10:35 p.m.

I say in fact putting GEM system is a bad concept. I know they try to pull some casual with this but that's just wrong. Fighting game is about learn the fundamental and understanding each character. Giving some assist tool will never help casual player in any situation but just spoil them more to rely on that tool.

GomuJonny said on April 2, 2014 at 10:37 p.m.

Many things prevented me from liking it, but two particular ones were impossible to look beyond.

Teams and chain combos.

I might have even been able to live with just 1 v 1, oh well.

Smorgasboard said on April 2, 2014 at 11:10 p.m.

I'd like to see SFxT make a comeback.

SoftShocks said on April 2, 2014 at 11:32 p.m.

But Yoshimitsu is in this game.
So its automatically godlike.

noob_blasta said on April 2, 2014 at 11:42 p.m.

The dlc didn't put me off too much because I wasn't going to get them anyway. The game just sucked. Abc combos, flashing green characters, tag system, pandora and derpy mega man. There were just so many game mechanics that were no good it just felt like they shoved everything in there and it came out a mess.

Ariesno said on April 2, 2014 at 11:47 p.m.

***HYPER STREET X TEKKEN***
***XONE and PS4***

1)Remove gems in Ranked and for Tournament mode off line.
2)Remove metal/neon/fluo color...
3)Remove some animations in stage and make better net code.
4)Change some music.
5)Balance Chun/Law/Kaz/Hwo/Jin...
6)More damage reduction on boost combo.
7)News challengers.
8)News trials.

DumbDLC said on April 2, 2014 at 11:50 p.m.

sadly it was just a bad game and showed how cheap capcom is willing to be with content. We need games like this to fail so that they dont try to sell us crap like this in the future.

TrueGamingGuru said on April 2, 2014 at 11:59 p.m.

@FakeVariable & noob_blasta

Parts of the Tag System is suppose to be based off Tekken Tag Tournament games, if Street Fighter were to crossover with Tekken and have a Tag Team it makes sense to have the same Tag System as the other Tekken Tag Tournament games. Parts of CVS Team System is more based on the KOF series, since KOF is part of SNK.

If Street Fighter ever crossover with DOA, and have the Tag Team System than we would end up with the same Tag Team System from the DOA series. Where you have to KO all opponents instead of one.

@rosy

Its honestly pretty debatable, but Gem System isn't always a bad concept as long as its well executed & doesn't hurt the balance that much. I do understand where your coming from, if there were Gems I wouldn't want to see they would be the auto block & tech throw since they're really useless and they wouldn't make you a better fighter.
Lets at least say for a Custom Style/Gem System SFXT at least is a bit balance than SCIV but that's not saying much. (since SCIV customization has custom stats for each item, weapon effects, extra Gem slots, and rings for certain non customizable characters)

It wouldn't matter that much anyway, even without the Gems part of the games launch was really doomed from the start from the DLC, glitches/bugs/freezes, and game was unbalanced.

handsofgod said on April 3, 2014 at 1:15 a.m.

I love this game!

Gamefreak said on April 3, 2014 at 1:34 a.m.

On Disc DLC doesn't change the gameplay people. Get over it. There are actual valid reasons why the game is bad. If some on disc DLC absolutely ruined the gameplay for you then you probably didn't like the game anyways.

J said on April 3, 2014 at 2:07 a.m.

The game is fine now and has been fine since v.2013.
A patch won't make people change their mind now. I pity the people who hopped on the hate train right from the get go and never bothered to get off to smell the roses.

BigFleccs said on April 3, 2014 at 2:22 a.m.

The DLC probably pissed more people off than you realize. Where I could careless if the Dlc was 25dollars others may. Also, the game was bad. It was new and exciting for a short period. When a game is fun you don't have to beg people to play it.

quicks said on April 3, 2014 at 2:24 a.m.

the dlc made people hate the game,mostly out of pride

The biggest problem however was the fact it was similar in looks and feel to sf4, and thats exactly how people played the game, they didn't use mechanics correctly, did the easiest combos poisble.

people also had a real issue with timeouts, mostly brought on by the fact that nobody knew how to do combos correctly and did pathetic damage so they would go into time-overs

the auto gems where also horrendous in the first edition

but the most important thing is that people actually set out to hate the game and not give it a chance from the get go and that actually clouded alot of peoples views from the jump

lukenvoy said on April 3, 2014 at 2:24 a.m.

i wanted to love this game, and tried many times. the combos are cool but its just so terrible to play

Bui said on April 3, 2014 at 2:37 a.m.

I still see no difference with "on disk" and "released a little later off disk" DLC if both ways are released within the same time frame.

My guess is that they wanted to do a semi-customizable game to change up each character style and turn it into a p2w game like the MMOs or MOBAs do.

AugustAPC said on April 3, 2014 at 2:40 a.m.

Obnoxious DLC schemes were pretty much the biggest set back for me. Not even just talking the disc-locked characters, but the way they limited customization and slowly unlocked it was pointless. Paying for stronger gems was also sickening. Just f*cking detestable business practices. I agree that the game never stood a chance through all this stuff. You could have a delicious lobster dinner, but if it's smothered in sh*t, no one's gonna want it.

Assist gems were pretty retarded in the beginning, too.

Otherwise, I love the game. I actually never found it to not be enjoyable to spectate, either. I do remember everyone pissing about it being boring to watch when it came around... I dunno, I like watching all fighters. Jab pressure may have been a little eye-rolling, but otherwise, I still had a blast watching and playing it.

BigFleccs said on April 3, 2014 at 3:31 a.m.

If you like it jeep playing it. I myself found it far to easy and boring. I feel capcom weakened their own cast to persuade people to pick more Tekken characters. That may work with some but just not with me. If you nerf my character I will pick the other characters I play. Nerf them all I play a new game. Butt hurt SFxT fanboys will say you didn't give the game a chance, I did, you don't remember those auto blk gems, the yellow health restore, the time out! I got a lotta wins before I quit playing that video gimmick.

KillerMike said on April 3, 2014 at 3:33 a.m.

I never cared about the on disk DLC. They dont affect the gameplay anyway.

Gems is the key reason this game died.

The gems that existed during the release was weak and lacked significance.

This later changed with the EX Auto Block lv3 bla bla crap.
These are so overpowered and cheap that the game is no longer playable.

Even worse, capcom wanted money for these. Their idea was "Pay for your wins".

BigFleccs said on April 3, 2014 at 3:50 a.m.

They were selling broken gems, then nerf the gem. I didn't agree with that. If I bought an item don't change it because I'm abusing it. I have good blocking anyway, the gem would catch the block I may have missed. It was more of salt issue, people would send a msg you have a purple gem, I would be like you were perfected, what difference does it make? Or the gem wasn't even used once. I liked the no chip damage also.

BigFleccs said on April 3, 2014 at 3:57 a.m.

Don't pity them they not missing much. Moral of the story, do a late release with things put together well vs a rush put out a broken beta test.

Capcom_Warrior said on April 3, 2014 at 4:18 a.m.

SFXT has all the elements that make a SF game fun. One of my favorite fighting games ever. It was rough at the begining but now it's sick. I don't get caught up in all the politics.

GodlikeAtheist said on April 3, 2014 at 4:51 a.m.

really? of all characters chun li? chun is the most balanced of high tier characters. she has no safe anti air, doesnt do ridiculous damage like *cough cough, bob. shes not like Nina where if u get knocked down you have one shot to guess right or loose another 500 health. i could go on about how many characters are actually better than her.

Eternal said on April 3, 2014 at 4:56 a.m.

The one thing I loved about this game more than anything was how teamplay worked. 2v2 is/was still my favorite part. I loved that it wasn't just "hey I'ma tag you in now to extend my combo."

The smartest design choice was making it so that during a combo your partner had to tag themselves in, and outside of a combo they couldn't. It really forced players to communicate and create teamwork. Cross assault also really makes the game shine.

I'd LOVE a full game that fleshes out the concept of 2v2 tag team even more. Scramble mode was garbage imo, but there is a ton of room for improvement and growth in the concept of a teambased fighting games I think.

GodlikeAtheist said on April 3, 2014 at 5:04 a.m.

heres what i want in dream version sfxt 2. i want a parry system, focus attacks, character assist, quicker but longer combos, more characters, rage mode, static levels for less lag, color pallet change. How bout giving all the people who make custom outfits a chance to either sell or put them in the steam workshop.

Emesots said on April 3, 2014 at 5:30 a.m.

For me 2 things kills the game radically
1 - gems . the concept of gems disinterested people
2 - Boost combos a,b,c,d are awful , this mecanic is inadequate

if they eliminate these 2 things the game will have more supporters

Kenmasters101 said on April 3, 2014 at 5:42 a.m.

Why do some of you guys say "boring abc launcher combos" it's the exact same thing in umvc 3 LMH launcher air combo

JesseRobles said on April 3, 2014 at 6:33 a.m.

It's a fun game. But the horrible business choices, tons of bugs and glitches, huge imbalance and focus on the wrong areas(gems) were extremely detrimental.

I applaud Capcom for trying new stuff with the game, but it showed that they can't work outside the simple 90's formula. Which was great at the time, but for today's standards it's mediocre and bare-bones when other games at the same price offer A LOT more.

Like I said, it's a fun casual game that just fell victim of bad decisions. People should let it go instead of trying to force it just because it's a Capcom game tho. Like, for example, I'm not trying to tell you guys how to run your website, but having SFxT at the top menu feels too forced when there are other relatively new games that get constant support from developers that actually listen to the customers and keep improving the product.

Dragonite said on April 3, 2014 at 6:44 a.m.

Funny. With the exception of the DLC, none of the top players see the things you people are bitching about as a problem. Makes me wonder how well the FGC can actually judge gameplay.

mousetrapped said on April 3, 2014 at 6:51 a.m.

Kelvin nailed it on the head... the game is just flat out boring to watch.

I absolutely LOVE SFxT, but it is not fun to watch at a competitive level. Matches take too long and are obviously VERY footsie-based, which doesn't really translate well to something fun to view.

Also all the initial fiasco and negative press was just horrible. Killed any and all hype surrounding the launch.

It's a huge bummer. There are still some online monsters (such as myself, LewdHoog on XBL) that play the game regularly. Hell, every Tuesday and Thursday I get together with 3 or 4 other dudes and grind Endless for a few hours (all around 20,000BP).

ALL HAIL THIS GAME.

BigFleccs said on April 3, 2014 at 6:58 a.m.

Nice experiment that flopped. Team was fun the first week. Then it was more fun for me to play solo. Then AE was more fun than the new game so it is what it is. I don't have the disc anymore. I have the digital version I can down load if I want to play in the future, which I doubt. BlazBlue is good to go, If ultra is a flop I can play BB and the new guilty gear when it come out.

KataM said on April 3, 2014 at 7:02 a.m.

They game is ok, fun enough to play. It's all about the Capcom greedy mentality that took people off. All those pay to win gems (even if the finally released most of them for free), the DLC characters, the PS3-only stuff...

quicks said on April 3, 2014 at 7:15 a.m.

also evo making this a 2v2 game wrote of alot of people who was taking it seriously before and stopped because they wouldnt have anywhere to compete

Kenshiro said on April 3, 2014 at 7:31 a.m.

Not really. UmvC3 has one button launchers but you have to follow up for more damage...where as in SFxT the launchers are part of the Quick combo enders.

SKILL said on April 3, 2014 at 7:59 a.m.

SFxT 2013ver ROCKS!

blazebwoy said on April 3, 2014 at 8:03 a.m.

good or not no one wanted this game,it was a terrible idea on paper and the game itself,no fighting game after the barebones experience of mvc3 was going to get a chance in terms of sales,Capcom has itself to blame, people wanted CvsSnk3, Mahvel fans got mVC3

lordrockman said on April 3, 2014 at 8:06 a.m.

Patch for what?

RunnersKnee said on April 3, 2014 at 8:23 a.m.

I like the game too, albeit the gem system (and pandora) still feels unnecessary. This game deserves another chance, not really a patch but just scrap the gem and pandora systems.
JoJo's All Star Battle is coming soon!!

JusticeSoulTuna said on April 3, 2014 at 8:42 a.m.

Hah

BigFleccs said on April 3, 2014 at 8:44 a.m.

The game needs to be left alone. A patch for what? Im not going to start back playing it lol. ver 2013 didn't start me back to playing it. I did test it out to see if the exaggerations about it were accurate. It was a little better than the first release, but still a turd. If you about your defense still TIME OUT! just not as much.

arcadifvid said on April 3, 2014 at 8:53 a.m.

yes I hope Capcom makes one more patch, just give in to the demands already (since its a few years old already)

- no gems mode
- DLC characters are free of charge
- generally higher damage percent for all

I assume those changes can be quickly done anyway as the one that usually takes time is the rebalancing.

some other changes I personally prefer too

- remove auto launching combos
- add wakeup back roll
- make Pandora last a bit longer
- more juggling moves

im so conflicted with this game right now simply because I love the Tekken side characters. Hell in fact I enjoy using them here than in TTT2. too bad this will probably the only game I could get to play Tekken characters in this style.

TrueGamingGuru said on April 3, 2014 at 8:54 a.m.

The abc launcher combos is based off the Darkstalkers Combo System since the combo is L,M,H. (except in SFXT, they added in a launcher) Another note is that MVC3/UMVC3 is that the launcher air combo is a separate button. (it plays more similar to Arcana Heart, but different)

Tensa said on April 3, 2014 at 8:58 a.m.

If SFxT was released this year without that dlc issue I think it would have done better because UMvC3/AE is getting alittle old sure ultra will help alot but still.

DestinyZX1 said on April 3, 2014 at 9:20 a.m.

I agree with you there. Definitely.

AugustAPC said on April 3, 2014 at 9:38 a.m.

I don't think there's a shred of hope for another patch :\

The game's fizzling. It's getting less and less exposure as time passes. I doubt Capcom is willing to devote any of their limited resources to a game that likely, loathed as I am to say it, won't get much more attention even if it were to get another patch.

Kidenn said on April 3, 2014 at 9:38 a.m.

1. do a SSF4 or USF4, patch the game add stages and characters (where are Evil Ryu and Devil Jin? Karin Alex R.Mika? Lee Zafina Miguel?)
2. Arcade port
3. ???
4. Profit

irrenmann said on April 3, 2014 at 10:05 a.m.

No one is going to talk about GamerBee's interview? Just post their feelings about SFxT?

Fine. I liked the character customization. The main title theme was superb music. The fighting was boring and repetitive. Hits felt soft. Non-canon, goofy plot was uninvolving, and only allowed characters to behave stereotypically instead of grow or change.

Everyone saying "on-disc DLC" had something to do with the fact fewer people play this game nowadays is making no sense. Don't tell me you went and bought the game, but then hostility about the already-publicized-at-launch delivery method of some optional content caused you to junk your investment and stop playing. This did not happen. The fighting was not entertaining enough people. That's what happened.

Not every fighting game has to be played for many years. I imagine this is always the goal, but people played it for a while, hopefully had some fun. Some still do—fewer, I imagine, as time goes by. That's fine. Everything has a lifespan.

Xykes said on April 3, 2014 at 10:09 a.m.

FR 2014 SFxT finals were VERY fun to watch, especially the ending.

Crowd was very much into it:

XDIEX said on April 3, 2014 at 10:25 a.m.

Whens TXSF?

XDIEX said on April 3, 2014 at 10:31 a.m.

The difference is BB is ACTUALLY a great game

Capcom_Warrior said on April 3, 2014 at 10:47 a.m.

You are constantly ripping this game. Then you talk about how you used Auto Block Gems when the game first came out. Players like you were the exact reason people hating playing the game. Players like you that are good enough to play without auto block still use auto block to make themselves unbeatble. It's sickening. You're probably a scrub anyways.

roknin said on April 3, 2014 at 10:57 a.m.

At this point I think he's made it his day job to specifically post as much bile in SFxT topics as he can.

On the topic at hand: you know what? Do it. Go for an update. Let's see what happens. If it drums up interest then let's see what comes of it. As long as the core game isn't completely changed, I'll still play, I'll just adapt.

Personal opinion though? Only thing that needs updating is game mode/system stuff (i.e.., rematch option in 1v1 lobbies, ranked/endless filter improvements, etc.), not character nerfs/buffs. Everyone talking about how oppressive the Tekken characters are isn't really weighing what the SF cast can actually do.

On the topic of SFxT: we still play. No, we don't get the numbers that SF4 or Marvel gets (shock: some of us even play those games and others too!) but we still play. Just because our community is smaller doesn't mean "lol iz dead"... despite how much some people want smaller communities/games to just die off because "you play a game I don't like".

Load more comments