Ken is not Ryu; he has blonde hair and red clothes: Watch as he tries to prove his individuality in Pete Holmes' latest Street Fighter skit

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • April 1, 2014 at 12:41 p.m. PDT

Pete Holmes has once again aired a Street Fighter themed skit on his late-night talk-show, The Pete Holmes Show.

In this comedy bit, Ken tries to prove that he is exactly what the Street Fighter 2 tournament needs. Unfortunately for him, Pete Holmes is quick to point out that Ken shares a few too many similarities with Ryu, who is also already competing in the tournament.

Last week, we saw Dhalsim try to make his way into the Street Fighter 2 tournament, but to no avail. Hit the jump to see if Ken can make a convincing enough case for himself.

Source: Pete Holmes. Tips sent in by NeonKisses, akillyz, and sulfur.

Comments

bananainsaneface said on April 1, 2014 at 12:42 p.m.

I can't stand Pete Holmes.

djm0001 said on April 1, 2014 at 12:43 p.m.

Rye-Ooh

I thought the others were pretty funny, this one not so much

mourning_lemon said on April 1, 2014 at 12:48 p.m.

I can stand Pete Holmes.

I like this series. Nothing wrong with some SF humor in my book, even if it falls a bit flat on occasion.

ryuhayabusa13 said on April 1, 2014 at 12:56 p.m.

Rye-ooh Is an Earsore. Sounds way too Street fighter amateurish.

akillyz said on April 1, 2014 at 1 p.m.

I think he may have done it intentionally, because he says the name right in the Ryu sketch.

EDIT - Me and Sulfur are the same dude, dreamking. lol.

wayofBushinRyu said on April 1, 2014 at 1:01 p.m.

How do I filter out this unfunny man?

BlackOnyxThunder said on April 1, 2014 at 1:19 p.m.

If you don't like Pete's comedy don't watch it. Obviously, this is the public perception of the Street Fighter universe to other people (others who never heard or seen anything Street Fighter). Plus, this is a great way to extend the Fighting Game Community.

PS: Clone jokes gotta love em...

Evil_Hayato said on April 1, 2014 at 1:20 p.m.

definitely the worst of this series. I dont mind the series overall, I find it amusing that a comedy show is even doing video game spoofs.

Artemis_Reinhold said on April 1, 2014 at 1:38 p.m.

No such thing as bad publicity, right?

Something tells me Pete Holmes played SSF 2 Turbo on a Super Nintendo way back when, and he thinks things haven't changed much aside from the graphics. He'd "sh*t" if he knew how much it has evolved. Much like myself when I thought I could still body Mofos with Sagat when I picked up Arcade Edition 2012, having put the game down for a couple of years. Now THAT made me sh*t. ^_^

But again. Nice to see a fighting game sketch on national TV...i guess.

Otter_of_Death said on April 1, 2014 at 1:40 p.m.

The Dhalsim sketch is probably the best one to date. This one was definitely weaker (still think Chun was the worst), but I really do like the actor's interpretation of Ken.

juicy_G said on April 1, 2014 at 2:01 p.m.

lol, i like vegas better.

FightDirty said on April 1, 2014 at 2:03 p.m.

Por favor, no más. Esta mierda es horrible!

krls said on April 1, 2014 at 2:09 p.m.

Hahaha... good one. He's got a point on ye'olde fireball sf2 wars.

Baby_Astaroth said on April 1, 2014 at 2:10 p.m.

When people say Ree-You it bothers me. His name is pronounced RUU even if it is spelled R-Y-U.

XDIEX said on April 1, 2014 at 2:23 p.m.

The Ryu one was funny but the rest of them are eh...

bobdole0 said on April 1, 2014 at 2:28 p.m.

It is NOT pronounce ruu. Japanese is one of those languages where it's pronounced almost exactly how to looks like. If it was pronounced ruu it would literally be spelled ruu.

bagel_bytez said on April 1, 2014 at 2:29 p.m.

I don't like that guy that played ken... He wasn't funny in the vega one either

FuriouS said on April 1, 2014 at 2:41 p.m.

he didnt look like Ken at all, they shouldve gotten a buff brainless surfer type dude, which would be the public perception of Ken

Sadisticcupid said on April 1, 2014 at 2:45 p.m.

Yeah, this isn't funny anymore.

Bayfighter said on April 1, 2014 at 2:47 p.m.

They should've gotten Zak Morris from Saved By the Bell to play Ken...

gost_body said on April 1, 2014 at 2:50 p.m.

whaa whaaaa this isnt the comedy sketch i deserved whaaa whaaaa!!!

Why do people feel the need to comment negatively on things they don't care about? Like its some dying itch.

jheezz. You know what i do when i see something i don't like i click x and get on with the rest of my life.

BUYACUSHUN said on April 1, 2014 at 2:54 p.m.

barely funny. Just went the dumb character route which is only good for a slight chuckle. Did like that ending part though about fireballs. More of that and this wouldve been a good sketch.

BUYACUSHUN said on April 1, 2014 at 2:57 p.m.

When someone makes something for people to view and enjoy, if someone doesn't like then they can voice that opinion.

EagleBirdMan said on April 1, 2014 at 2:59 p.m.

This. So much.

It'd be different if it was constructive criticism but it's not. Lol.

hamster said on April 1, 2014 at 3:08 p.m.

Ken: I roll when I do my kick throw so I can start my corner pressure faster!

Pete: ???

madmonk25 said on April 1, 2014 at 3:16 p.m.

didn't that make Ken the better of the two back then?

HooliganComboFTW said on April 1, 2014 at 3:30 p.m.

He has a flame srk though...

Slaystation said on April 1, 2014 at 3:43 p.m.

Here's a way to filter it...

1. Don't click the link on the main page.
2. Crap, you clicked it. Well, as long as you don't click Play you'll be fine.
3. Damn! You clicked Play. Well, at least you can put it all behind you and just leave.
4. Wait, what's that? You're sticking around to comment on the video? Do you enjoy wasting your own time!?

The internet must really confuse you with all its content that you apparently feel required to watch.

zombi_ryu said on April 1, 2014 at 3:52 p.m.

I liked it

hamster said on April 1, 2014 at 3:55 p.m.

I don't think that was until Super Street Fighter II. This is the auditions for the Street Fighter II tournament which I would assume means World Warrior.

hamster said on April 1, 2014 at 3:56 p.m.

Yup!

America! F--- Yeah!

Kenmasters101 said on April 1, 2014 at 3:58 p.m.

That was kool but not funny

jrdriver said on April 1, 2014 at 3:59 p.m.

Wasn't that vega????? Trying to get in twice. Pete Holmes caught him though! Good catch Pete, good catch!!!!

kdavis851 said on April 1, 2014 at 4:11 p.m.

I actually like these, but this one wasn't funny. Definitely the worst.

caruga said on April 1, 2014 at 4:44 p.m.

But the commenting on people's commenting habits is so productive...

Kenshiro said on April 1, 2014 at 5:03 p.m.

Jumped the shark with the Dhalsim segment.

Wow.

SunaharaRaja said on April 1, 2014 at 5:12 p.m.

i'd love one episode with cammy

darko_p86 said on April 1, 2014 at 5:29 p.m.

I gotta agree, this one was not funny.

Next: he should interview Guile.

Apoc said on April 1, 2014 at 5:39 p.m.

lol @ folks still arguing over the pronunciation of "Ryu." Even funnier is when both sides are wrong. The correct pronunciation isn't "Roo" or "ree yuu" or "rye yuu." heheh

Sim and Vega were the best, imo and "fun in the chun" wasn't bad at all.

ZenRazor said on April 1, 2014 at 6:11 p.m.

This one wasn't funny much I think the Ryu one was best.

massi4h said on April 1, 2014 at 6:13 p.m.

The pronunciation is りゅ which is one syllable.

But yeah this one wasn't funny at all compared to the Dhalsim one which had me cracking up hard.

ryuhayabusa13 said on April 1, 2014 at 8:04 p.m.

*Sigh.:\ We are at that again. here you go.

And also

ryuhayabusa13 said on April 1, 2014 at 8:06 p.m.

I am hispanic, So in Spanish vowels are always pronounced the same way they are written; closer to the japanese version. Other than the "R" from ryu in japan sounds a little more like d. But also refer to links I posted above.

ryuhayabusa13 said on April 1, 2014 at 8:13 p.m.

Actually apologies. Was referring to other people who also say "roo". But yes one syllable is correct.

Smorgasboard said on April 1, 2014 at 8:24 p.m.

If Ken was announced as the fifth character, imagine the hate. Lol.

theshredder39 said on April 1, 2014 at 8:51 p.m.

Good lord guys, look I agree that this wasn't funny but it's not like the video gave you cancer.

GodPride said on April 1, 2014 at 8:52 p.m.

Some of us don't give a damn and stick to the pronouciation Rye U.

OhYouDontSayThat said on April 1, 2014 at 9:43 p.m.

u guys might like the outtakes too, they're almost better than the skits!

Geonettazombie said on April 1, 2014 at 9:48 p.m.

"You look like Meg Ryan" haha that was what sold me on this one. Are these sketches the funniest thing ever? no, but they're very enjoyable for me. I don't know i guess I'm just a fan of kind of the dry sense of humor it has.

WlZD0M said on April 1, 2014 at 10:36 p.m.

Vega skit > Chun skit > Ryu skit > Dhalsim skit > Ken skit

EMRAHPALA said on April 2, 2014 at 12:16 a.m.

Very sucks. I dont funny ............
I am not smile .
10 rated BİG 0

Kawalorn said on April 2, 2014 at 12:49 a.m.

He made me laugh. I'd say that's pretty productive.

xcedra said on April 2, 2014 at 4:49 a.m.

lol so many people just comment to bitch at ppl haha and express how much u dont like it just skip the video, the plus side to this site is there are many videos for everyone and everyone wont like them all but do you really feel the need to express that you dont like this video to a bunch of random strangers online? whats the point just looking for clarification, do you get some sort of justification out of it?

SirKenjamin said on April 2, 2014 at 4:59 a.m.

Hahaha.

Deen said on April 2, 2014 at 12:26 p.m.

Lol you nailed it. This one isn't bad to be honest, but hey there will ALWAYS be crybabies out there. And people's ridiculous high standards are way too over the top. I bet if it wasn't Pete whose doing this and instead some well known comedian with the same sketch and everything, those same crybabies would probably give it a 10/10.

edrigo said on April 2, 2014 at 12:37 p.m.

He should have mentioned his flaming uppercut and got then get his application approved. Everyone was sold on that one move back in the day.

Funny enough i was explaining to a friend about the sf decapre situation and made the point that clone characters have been in sf for a long time.

massi4h said on April 2, 2014 at 3:06 p.m.

You can't skip a video without knowing it's awful.

Most of the people commenting, me included liked the other ones and are commenting that this one sucks, cause it does compared to the others.

How would I know not to watch it, if I enjoyed the other ones?

chipndip said on April 2, 2014 at 9:55 p.m.

I wish he didn't deny Ken's application. Since he's IN SF II, they should have made a reason for his application to go through.

JohnnyOcelot said on April 3, 2014 at 2:01 a.m.

Why is there so many Shotos anyway?

FlynnChop said on April 3, 2014 at 4:19 p.m.

How about we go on how the most current game pronounces it?

R-you it is!