It's the year of the clone characters: Skullgirls Encore introduces Fukua, the fully-playable Filia clone

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • April 1, 2014 at 11:02 a.m. PDT

Lab Zero truly does believe in taking an April Fool's joke to the extreme. This year, they have unveiled a "brand new" fighter to the Skullgirls Encore universe: a Filia clone named Fukua.

The trailer released for this new fighter may look eerily familiar, (if you tuned into Final Round 17 last month), and shows off what she is capable of. Although this character has been revealed in jest, the beauty of it all is, she is actually fully playable on PC.

Fukua may reuse some of the animations that Filia has, however, she does have some unique moves and color palettes. Below are some screenshots to get you started.

Click images for larger versions

Hit the jump to view her trailer and move list.

Skullgirls Encore Fukua move list

Butterfly Kiss - HK in the air
-> Heartseeker - HP after Bufferfly Kiss connects

Love Dart - D,DF,F+P / 236+P, on the ground or in the air

Platonic Drillationship - D,DF,F+K / 236+K

Tender Embrace - D,DF,F+LP+LK / 236+LP+LK

Inevitable Snuggle - D,DB,B+LP+LK / 214+LP+LK

Blown Kiss (Lv 1 super) - D,DF,F+PP / 236+PP, on the ground or in the air

Best Friends Forever! (Lv 1 super) - D,DF,F+KK / 236+KK

Twice Shy (Lv 3 super) - D,DB,B+PP / 214+PP

Head Over Heels (Lv 5 super) - 360+LP+LK
Note: It doesn't do much damage, but....

Lab Zero's Mike Z mentioned on Steam that this character could very possibly stay on the roster, but that decision is dependent on the Skullgirls community.

What do you think of this newly revealed Filia clone? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below.

Source: Skullgirls and Steam. Tips sent in by Blaken7, saucefonda, Zentsurugi, JiFoJoka, Paradonyx, alexdbooth, Redblaze27, Dmancini87, Scatmon, Soriku, ShiroiKaze, Dravidian, Dracos_Wrath, Lavama, Zalgo_Cometh, icejohn, OhYouDontSayThat, akillyz, and a few anonymous readers.

Comments

gluemchen said on April 1, 2014 at 11:04 a.m.

Shots Fired. RIP Capcom!

Ninjagoon said on April 1, 2014 at 11:05 a.m.

lol they wrong for this one

king_e_dawg said on April 1, 2014 at 11:07 a.m.

Too good.

Redblaze27 said on April 1, 2014 at 11:10 a.m.

She's hype.

Dravidian said on April 1, 2014 at 11:13 a.m.

This is the best April fools of my life

TheRedCyclone said on April 1, 2014 at 11:14 a.m.

Show me a completed Big Band first, then we'll talk. She does look fun though...

FightDirty said on April 1, 2014 at 11:14 a.m.

Where is her mask?

Kawalorn said on April 1, 2014 at 11:16 a.m.

You mean the one that's playable for several weeks already in PC Beta? :P He's just waiting for slow-ass Microsoft to approve the patch because Lab-Zero want's him to come out everywhere at the same time.

Typhoontimmy said on April 1, 2014 at 11:17 a.m.

YAY Way to show Capcom they suck by taking 2 year and crowd funding to release 1 DLC character on consoles, a 2nd on PC and 1 clone character. Those ass hats at Capcom sure look like idiots now. Maybe they learn from Skullgirls how to do things when they finish adding characters in a year or so.

Kawalorn said on April 1, 2014 at 11:20 a.m.

I don't see you doing them faster. :P

BlackOnyxThunder said on April 1, 2014 at 11:20 a.m.

I like clones... so Capcom clone Guile. Kappa.

PS: ... and Sagat...

Typhoontimmy said on April 1, 2014 at 11:23 a.m.

Haha you're right. I love Skullgirls, but I have to keep it real. Mike Z shouldn't be picking on any company. :)

Neclord said on April 1, 2014 at 11:24 a.m.

Skullgirls developer making fun of Capcom?

Finish your game first maybe?

synce said on April 1, 2014 at 11:24 a.m.

I don't care, I ****ing love evil clones. Main'd.

ryuhayabusa13 said on April 1, 2014 at 11:25 a.m.

Good april fools

superpan619 said on April 1, 2014 at 11:30 a.m.

I generally dislike clones, but COME ON! IT'S FUKUA!!

spambot said on April 1, 2014 at 11:32 a.m.

Big band is finished in pc beta and its only a matter of time before he's in retail. Also they are working on Eliza as fast as they can draw her. They have frequent streams of the artist drawing her frames, you can see a character come to life before your very eyes.

shumathorath said on April 1, 2014 at 11:32 a.m.

tell me they made her a charge character

Yung said on April 1, 2014 at 11:33 a.m.

... I don't like that.

BlackRain said on April 1, 2014 at 11:34 a.m.

Like adding 4 more clones and sell it for 40 bucks? Don’t think so, that’s Capcom’s style.

You should have mentioned in the article that Fukua has a Decapre color palette, makes it just too perfect.

Yung said on April 1, 2014 at 11:37 a.m.

Even unfinished, it's still a better game than Street Fighter 4.

KingKong said on April 1, 2014 at 11:38 a.m.

Decapre should have been an april fool joke FFS

waterdog77 said on April 1, 2014 at 11:40 a.m.

thanks capcom, you have prainted a huge target on your backs saying please shoot here :)

Jason said on April 1, 2014 at 11:45 a.m.

Apparently Fukua only took mike about 3 days to make.

Hows Decapre coming along?

bahamutknightzero said on April 1, 2014 at 11:47 a.m.

Ironically, doesn't Skullgirls already have a planned clone character (Robo-Fortune)?

Blaken7 said on April 1, 2014 at 11:48 a.m.

3 days to make this? wow...

She seems awesome!

maxi2099 said on April 1, 2014 at 11:48 a.m.

Completely new character, I don't know why people is saying she is a clone of Filia with so many diferent moves. The FGC is just out of its mind...

JesseRobles said on April 1, 2014 at 11:51 a.m.

I don't think the Skullgirls team is making fun of Capcom. It's more like friendly banter.

zferolie said on April 1, 2014 at 11:51 a.m.

@baha robo fortune is more like robo ky, a semi clone. But that will have a completely new model, redrawn and everything, though they may use the origanal model as a basis.

FightDirty said on April 1, 2014 at 11:52 a.m.

LOL!

Ginta36 said on April 1, 2014 at 11:53 a.m.

Exactly, I don't believe Fukua has been in any previous fighting game before... Totally original character...

gluemchen said on April 1, 2014 at 11:56 a.m.

When i asked Mike he did say "In three days, no less." Maybe Mike won't go ahead an mention how long it took, but i sure as hell won't keep that information held back from people. He literally made this character in 3 days worth of time.

ArturoA9790 said on April 1, 2014 at 12:07 p.m.

Love the reference to Mario 2 at the end. The Capcom fanboys getting upset at LZ over this is actually funny. I'mma capcom fanboy too but I can appreciate a good jab when I see one, this one isnt a cheap one liner, they went all out lol. I'd love to see Fukua on consoles.

Bustahwurf said on April 1, 2014 at 12:09 p.m.

As we all know, sprite animation is cheap and easy to do. Must be why Capcom doesn't bother anymore. They're above that.

Kanjilearner3309 said on April 1, 2014 at 12:09 p.m.

I'm pretty sure this is an April Fools' joke.

TwoBears77 said on April 1, 2014 at 12:11 p.m.

It would be a hilarious joke if they weren't nearly 12 months behind in content release.

Super_Shoto_Fighter_4 said on April 1, 2014 at 12:14 p.m.

If it only took 3 days to complete, I'm expecting bells, whistles and a full fireworks display coming out of Decapre's ass by the time Ultra drops.

gluemchen said on April 1, 2014 at 12:18 p.m.

Speak for yourself.

caruga said on April 1, 2014 at 12:19 p.m.

Why'd you spoil the joke? Not that I didn't get it immediately, but you could have played along.

gaming99 said on April 1, 2014 at 12:20 p.m.

DeKappa syndrome incoming

Kawalorn said on April 1, 2014 at 12:21 p.m.

It is but this character actually IS added to the game. :P Played her myself.

darthvenom said on April 1, 2014 at 12:23 p.m.

VIOLATION. As a Capcom fan,I'm glad someone did this.

BlackRain said on April 1, 2014 at 12:34 p.m.

They're not.

dukemagus said on April 1, 2014 at 12:35 p.m.

check beck tomorrow (no, really, it's 99% ready on the beta, should be on the main game on april 2 to avoid people thinking big band is the april 1st joke)

JiFoJoka said on April 1, 2014 at 12:37 p.m.

I wonder how many people will mispronounce the name Fukua...

TwoBears77 said on April 1, 2014 at 12:40 p.m.

Oh, they are. Q1 2014 was supposed to be the drop for character No. 5. Q1 ended yesterday. We still wait for No 2. As DLC development began in April 2013, that puts things about a year behind.

bigjbilly said on April 1, 2014 at 12:40 p.m.

Fuk U-a. Lol

BlackRain said on April 1, 2014 at 12:46 p.m.

What are you talking about? Squigly was announced for (late) summer 2013, Big Band for winter 2013/2014.

Lab Zero never said they would do all five characters in a single year. If you’re so sure, source link please.

TwoBears77 said on April 1, 2014 at 12:49 p.m.

Whatever you need to tell yourself in order to keep believing. Not going to judge. Been there myself with more titles than I care to admit. Just be ready for some unpleasant news.

Unknown_Unknown said on April 1, 2014 at 12:53 p.m.

Friggin Awesome

Dravidian said on April 1, 2014 at 12:56 p.m.

IGG campaign ended in february last year. It takes approx 4 months for each character to be made (varies based on character complexity). That's WITHOUT the BS they had to go through with konami and MS and having their funds withheld by paypal(no pay for contractors= little progress) and other legal issues they've had to deal with.

IF things would have gone perfectly we'd be getting Eliza around now, but she's still being animated and was started being animated about 1 or 2 months ago. Considering BB is finished (just not released) and Eliza is in progress and all the mess they've gone through in the previous year, being at MOST 2~3 month behind is understandable and nowhere near the year you're making it out to be.

Pachendrix said on April 1, 2014 at 12:58 p.m.

This is probably the best April Fool's ever in fighting game history! Capcom, please take notes from Lab Zero!

BlackRain said on April 1, 2014 at 1 p.m.

Sorry, but just because you don’t gave me a link proving your statement, it’s pretty obvious that you are talking bull.

I’m watching the creation of these characters since I pledged in the campaign. There is no unpleasant news regarding the development, only how much nonsense Lab Zero must go through to get everything out the way they want it too.

Yes, the characters are coming out later than expected, but "12 months behind content release" is not true, and I think you know it.

TwoBears77 said on April 1, 2014 at 1:07 p.m.

Again, I'm not going to judge you for it because I've done it myself. In fact, I've been much less polite than you when doing it too. I'm also not going to argue with you in a protracted manner. That's not to say that there isn't argument to be had, but rather that I don't think it illuminates you, I or the game.

In the end, I think it is my fault for putting the discussion on this line. My initial statement was more of a case of wondering out loud where the arrogance from the devs is coming from. What came across is a condescending attitude toward the fans of this project. Was wrong for me to do that.

Kid_Kuma said on April 1, 2014 at 1:09 p.m.

Oooo this beef is substantial

Echo01 said on April 1, 2014 at 1:20 p.m.

Pew Pew all day erry day.

anthonygamer said on April 1, 2014 at 1:48 p.m.

Nice jab at the Decapre trailer/release.

LitchiFayeLing said on April 1, 2014 at 1:52 p.m.

And release games without training mode or move lists :v might wanna check those snarky comments.

Zidiane said on April 1, 2014 at 1:53 p.m.

When did Skullgirls ever not have a training mode?

JELIFISH19 said on April 1, 2014 at 2:02 p.m.

Why is all the discussion on focused Capcom? Tecmo Koei announced Phase-4 for DOA5U two weeks ago. And she's not the first, but second, clone of Kasumi. And let's be honest, Decapre being a clone isn't a big deal. She's part of a larger package that includes 4 other characters, new stages, a complete rebalancing, new mechanics, and new modes all for $15. That's a great deal considering that Phase-4 alone is going to cost $6. An on-disc DLC character for BBCP was just released today for $8. That's more than half the price of USF4 for just one character and she's on the disc. But we're here focusing on the evil company that is Capcom while other companies are doing the same things and worse.

Pachendrix said on April 1, 2014 at 2:03 p.m.

The game has had training mode since day 1 (which btw is the best training mode in fighting games right now), and all the move sets were available at the official site/forums since before it's release. Capcom dickriders comments make me laugh. lol

Pachendrix said on April 1, 2014 at 2:06 p.m.

4 new characters and stages that are imported from SFxT. And Nobody hyped Phase-4 for months claiming her to be a brand new, never before seen character. Also, it's freaking Street Fighter, the single biggest fighting game in video games history, yes, people are going to talk more about Capcom.

LitchiFayeLing said on April 1, 2014 at 2:08 p.m.

Sorry, meant options. But are you telling me that Capcom should "take notes" from a game that has late content releases and makes you go to a website to look up moves? Why are you even saying that like it's a plus? Alos, I love Skullgirls but I'm not gonna be blinded from the fact they made horrible mistakes early. And that the game is pretty dead.

LitchiFayeLing said on April 1, 2014 at 2:10 p.m.

I remember specifically when SG came out: "Only 8 characters? Bare Bones Training Mode? Bare Bones offline content? No lobby system? I have to go ONLINE to find moves? What a s*** game!"

Now people should be taking notes. From a game that's inspired by games Capcom made. Ok.

saucefonda said on April 1, 2014 at 2:14 p.m.

Big Band is completed on the PC end. He's currently in submission for console release.

saucefonda said on April 1, 2014 at 2:15 p.m.

You double post on both Shoryuken and Eventhubs? Talk about dedication.

saucefonda said on April 1, 2014 at 2:17 p.m.

Lol! You aren't man enough to say that you don't know what you're talking about.

SpadeHand said on April 1, 2014 at 2:18 p.m.

It's cool, guys. She's a charge character.

danistheman said on April 1, 2014 at 2:21 p.m.

ITT: This isn't from Capcom, therfore it's good.

Kongk4 said on April 1, 2014 at 2:21 p.m.

Can't tell if being a douche or not...

I'm just going to respond with a quote from Dr. Cox.

Dr. Cox: "That was either sarcastic or very stupid. Either way, I'm hitting you with my clipboard."

JELIFISH19 said on April 1, 2014 at 2:21 p.m.

I spent the time writing all that, might as well put it on both lol

And in response to Pachendrix, does it really matter if those characters were in SFxT? people liked them. There's no reason why they're bad picks. But none of that changes the fact that we're getting a lot for $15.

Iphantom said on April 1, 2014 at 2:23 p.m.

This is too good. Leave it to eventhubs comments to ruin it of course.

LitchiFayeLing said on April 1, 2014 at 2:25 p.m.

Truth

LitchiFayeLing said on April 1, 2014 at 2:26 p.m.

Yea. Especially since I'm pretty sure it's just some friendly jabbing from Lab Zero.

Sadisticcupid said on April 1, 2014 at 2:32 p.m.

Wow, How many f*&%(ing iterations of street fighter 4 do we have?

madsoul242 said on April 1, 2014 at 2:43 p.m.

I'd definitely Fukua lols

BUYACUSHUN said on April 1, 2014 at 3:21 p.m.

pretty cool joke and the character aint half bad either. would be cool if she actually became part of the roster. Look back at this series after a year or two and be like i was there when fukua was a joke.

icejohn said on April 1, 2014 at 3:21 p.m.
HooliganComboFTW said on April 1, 2014 at 3:24 p.m.

Yo a different idle?
Decapre needs a different idle now.

TrueGamingGuru said on April 1, 2014 at 3:24 p.m.

@Pachendrix

Why should Capcom take notes from Lab Zeros to begin with? If it has something to do with the hype/reveal character, then Capcom should've reveal Decapre the same way as how Capcom previously reveal characters from Street Fighter X Tekken, without the need to hype for couple of months (which the 5th character was losing its hype) and could've easily just show pieces of the artwork even part of the character models or even better should announce before hand with no build up/no hype gimmick what so ever. Even the people themselves should've never gotten hype about the mystery character nor should've even gotten too hype for Ultra Street Fighter IV to begin with. (not saying people shouldn't look forward to USFIV, but even people themselves were getting too hype)

Besides if I remember correctly part of the game's release (also part of the demo) this game just didn't have a movelist from the start (except from the internet) which is a big mistake to fighter games itself when it comes to learning a variety of character movelist. Since fighter games of today gives you a movelist if you want to pause the game and check which move does what. I didn't touch that game for awhile after that nor bought it from the start, but once the update came along (which was effect the demo) I liked it better than the previous ver. and even Lab Zero have completely delayed the DLC content from new character & stage for console release, which eventually Konami cut ties with Lab Zero which the developer needed a new publisher.

My point is that not every company/developer is perfect, and its really better if people themselves didn't get too hype. Its really better for each group to follow their own path.

@JELIFISH19

To be quite honest, that's what most people would complain about one company they know really well. (even if it means keep bringing up Capcom's past mistakes to recent) The 5th character hype was overdone to the point where it got annoying and wasn't even worth hype anymore.

About Phase-4, she wasn't completely overhyped and they've announce her before hand. (which is the right way) They've teased another character was going to be added, then came the screenshots, and lastly the trailer. (which I was really hype for Phase-4, than Decapre) Most of the people weren't hype for Phase-4 anyway, besides Phase-4 wasn't 100% clone anyway shes pretty similar to Dural (VF) when it comes to move-wise. PS. its actually 3rd clone Kasumi Alpha (who is more like her DOA1-2 playstyle), Alpha-152 (few moves from Kasumi, but mostly original), and Phase-4. (she isn't going to play exactly like Kasumi from what I've seen, and she is pretty different)

Besides I think there are better example of games that have clone characters that play the same from SSB & Tekken series to name a few examples. From Eddy/Christie/Tiger, Kuma/Panda, Lee/Violet, Fox/Falco/Wolf, Link/Young Link/Toon Link etc.

Dimensional said on April 1, 2014 at 3:34 p.m.

lol this was actually pretty good.

Dravidian said on April 1, 2014 at 3:44 p.m.

Except Skullgirls had a reason to delay input list. When the options are have enough money to fund game modes and Marie or have input list put in later, but have an online version available at launch, the decision really isnt hard.
Plus SG had a tutorial mode which cover most of that.

HeatEXTEND said on April 1, 2014 at 4:04 p.m.

so good :D:D

HeatEXTEND said on April 1, 2014 at 4:06 p.m.

lmfao dude

xShonuffx said on April 1, 2014 at 4:22 p.m.

This is delicious lol.

Andyman said on April 1, 2014 at 4:24 p.m.

April 1st fail. Haha

Paradonyx said on April 1, 2014 at 4:37 p.m.

Am I the only one who caught that JoJo's reference with the dog? :P

CrazyC0mb0 said on April 1, 2014 at 4:39 p.m.

Oh god, She actually looks kinda fun.

RunnersKnee said on April 1, 2014 at 4:42 p.m.

That Decapre palette on the far right!
If that became her default look in the video, that'd be hitting Capcom square in the chest like Sony and their game-sharing jab at Microsoft! xD
Despite the small roster I do applaud Lab Zero for making a very diverse cast. This game should be one of the top fighting games! Why it's not, I just don't know.

AveMcree said on April 1, 2014 at 4:45 p.m.

cool character tbh... however taking jabs at capcom for failing when the hype train for this game crashed years ago makes no since...... if it didnt take them as long to put out this game in general maybe I would laugh at the joke.... Im highly dissapointed in Skullgirls and this was my game over any current capcom game..... and no I dont wanna buy a Ps3 or play the PC version..... hold the joke next time

Xykes said on April 1, 2014 at 4:46 p.m.

I think the funniest part is how Mike Z always makes fun of Capcom and criticizes them...

Yet, Capcom has pretty much always supported and encouraged Skullgirls. I remember Ono tweeting nice things about SG when it first came out.

Good to see Lab Zero returning the favor. Oh wait.

Mopz said on April 1, 2014 at 5:11 p.m.

LOVE THIS. So well done~!

No un-needed hype needed and they were able to do this with several eff-ups (Witholded budjet, Konami being massive arseholes) in their tail!

darthvenom said on April 1, 2014 at 5:56 p.m.

Not only that, but TTT2 had a crap ton of clone characters.

rie_dude said on April 1, 2014 at 6:54 p.m.

Best comment evar

maxs2d2ace said on April 1, 2014 at 7:16 p.m.

all this done in a month and still more work than capcom.

TehViraL said on April 1, 2014 at 7:22 p.m.

Mike Z made this character in 3 days to say F--k you to Capcom hence her name FUK-U-A, and I love ever second of it.

Garcian_Ulmeyda said on April 1, 2014 at 8:03 p.m.

If they had the funding of Capcom they would have finished the game already. It's like a 10 person crew. For what they have got to work with they are doing better than Double Helix

Funkermonster said on April 1, 2014 at 8:04 p.m.

Fukua... stupid name imo. And a Palette Swap, how original....

But for an April Fool's joke, this is promising.

Snow said on April 1, 2014 at 8:07 p.m.

That's not where the name comes from at all:

Also interesting news that everyone expected anyway:

GodPride said on April 1, 2014 at 8:34 p.m.

I'm a big fan of Capcom but never to the point where I get offended on behalf of the big corporation. Haha

Load more comments