Who's #1 in fighting game sales? Harada says Tekken with 42.5 million copies sold to date

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • September 20, 2013 at 7 p.m. PDT
Who's #1 in fighting game sales?  Harada says Tekken with 42.5 million copies sold to date If you're wondering what the #1 fighting game is from a sales perspective, Namco Bandai's Katsuhiro Harada recently said it's the Tekken franchise, coming in at 42.5 million copies sold worldwide to date.

Harada added that 20 million of those, or more, have come from Europe.

Also, Tekken Revolution has seen 2 million downloads in a three month span, as the free-to-play title continues to pick up steam.

Most of the user audience for Tekken Revolution is based in the United States, with Japan a close second, said Harada. He noted that these results are "different from the traditional numbers," typically seen with the retail Tekken releases.

Harada also commented on the female vampire character, which will be added to Tekken Revolution in the future. Hit the jump to read those details.

The female vampire character will be receiving an overhaul due to fan response and will resemble something more akin to what 2D fighting game fans may expect, in regards to her fighting style.

As her haircut is similar to Anna's, she'll also be receiving a new do.

The female vampire character is still on track to be released later this year.

Sources: Joystiq and Polygon.

Comments

ShinAkiraDesu said on September 20, 2013 at 7:01 p.m.

i guess Americans love free stuff lol

skyline0216 said on September 20, 2013 at 7:02 p.m.

Lili = waifu tier

ryuhayabusa13 said on September 20, 2013 at 7:11 p.m.

Glad to hear that from harada. Wish TTT2 tournament did better, they put a lot of work into it and they deserve it.

HooliganComboFTW said on September 20, 2013 at 7:16 p.m.

Go figure #CheapAssGamerZ

EA575 said on September 20, 2013 at 7:19 p.m.

couldn't agree more

Meety said on September 20, 2013 at 7:20 p.m.

”Tekken is dead.” - says those that haven't experienced Tekken's potential. Anyways‚ I wish there were more Tekken live stream events like Green Land in Korea. There's got to be more Tekken players that have a lot of great skill.

zUkUu said on September 20, 2013 at 7:23 p.m.

More than SF? Mh...

Tekken was really popular everywhere until Tekken 5 tho.

Smorgasboard said on September 20, 2013 at 7:25 p.m.

Saying TR is worse than TTT2 but supporting TR more than TTT2. No wonder no one wants to cater to they want.

tortoos said on September 20, 2013 at 7:27 p.m.

Well glad for people who like tekken I guess, but 3d fighters aren't for me.

sarif2soon said on September 20, 2013 at 7:39 p.m.

of course the easy and depth-lacking games get sold more #Kappa

PurplePonyJotaro said on September 20, 2013 at 7:40 p.m.

That is a spot well deserved. Tekken fought its way through the modern Capcom saturation and earned its spot at the top.

AriesWarlock said on September 20, 2013 at 7:48 p.m.

they could be!

Galletano said on September 20, 2013 at 7:54 p.m.

The FG genre is underrated, FPS can do that with just one game.

sarif2soon said on September 20, 2013 at 8:04 p.m.

like i said >>> easy games

ZeDudd said on September 20, 2013 at 8:20 p.m.

I know i'm being greedy here after tons of free content, but i hope that female vampire will also be avaiable for TTT2.

Amen to that.

azahel_rules16 said on September 20, 2013 at 8:27 p.m.

then SF would double that

SqueakyBloom said on September 20, 2013 at 8:37 p.m.

I find it hard to believe TEKKEN sold the most, even more than Street Fighter.

gklaus19 said on September 20, 2013 at 8:49 p.m.

18@ past versions were more friendly and has a lot a button mash for the beginners get happy

Zarathos said on September 20, 2013 at 9:14 p.m.

I dont see why . For most of the 3d generations tekken was the de facto king , sales wise . Basically on ps1 .. ps2 .. ps3 even with dwindling sales .

Street Fighter was a no show for many years after Third Strike .

ridgezero said on September 20, 2013 at 9:25 p.m.

I guess I'm part of the few that got back into Tekken because of TR. I haven't played since 5 but now I'm getting back into it because its free. I guess TR is doing its job but if TxSF came out I would of got that regardless. Who knows I could of got back into Tekken if they released that sooner.

XeroGravity said on September 20, 2013 at 9:29 p.m.

note how he said copys(F2P Tekken rev) and not amount of $ made.

ZTS said on September 20, 2013 at 9:56 p.m.

You find it hard to believe? This has been a known fact for YEARS. Outside of SF2s initial release and the original release of SFIV SF series has never even broken a million units sold. Meanwhile Tekken 6 sold more than Vanilla SFIV and Tag to sold 1.7 Million. Tekken 3 sold like 10 Million copies by itself, pretty sure that is STILL the best selling fighting game of all time.

rocorolly said on September 20, 2013 at 11:36 p.m.

@23:Street Fighter II is the best selling fighting game, with the Genesis and SNES ports selling over 14 million units, and a collective of over 19 million units in life time sells not including cabs. Also Street Fighter Alpha/Zero3 has over a million units in sales. V-Street Fighter 4 sold around the same amount of units as Tekken 6, but the combined sells Bloodline Rebellion made through its subsequent ports never matched that of SF4 with its updates. Proving the Tekken series can't be milked like the Sf series. Tekken got ahead of SF due to poor sales of SF3 because the casual market moved on to 3D where Tekken dominated (and the unrecognizable cast of SF3) SF hadn't really impressed the casual market converting to 3D till SF4. The 3D gaga glasses are off now though and you see how Tekken is doing. That said the SF nostalgia gaga glasses have also fallen off the casual crowd as well. The future looks bleak for both unless they spice things up.

Cosmo26 said on September 20, 2013 at 11:54 p.m.

Tekken 3 sold way more than SF:2.
Check the Capcom best selling games list.
And again:
in 2009 t6 sold more than sf:IV
in 2012 ttt2 sold more than sfxt
Capcom may be stronger in the US, but the rest of the World is bigger

RaiLoves said on September 21, 2013 at 1:06 a.m.

SF people are just hating, lol

JIHADJOE said on September 21, 2013 at 1:47 a.m.

No it didn't. Tekken 3 sold 7.16M units worldwide.

I believe SF2 will technically still beat it if you put together all the platforms it sold on, as it has 6.3M sales on SNES alone. Put together Genesis and SNES and SF2 easily beats Tekken 3.

-- Wikipedia puts total SF2 sales at 14.3M, but that includes Turbo and Super.

Sakurai can easily claim #1 single fighting release though, if he could be bothered to stop trolling the competitive Smash community.

FalsoL said on September 21, 2013 at 1:52 a.m.

For people who only play SF is unthinkable finds people who likes other games,
Its so simple.

SJFox said on September 21, 2013 at 2:08 a.m.

@22 seeing as the arcades are still strong in asian countries with Tekken always either high up or topping the arcadia charts, I think Tekken tag 2 netted a huge margin of their $2 billion arcade Q3 sales.

FightDirty said on September 21, 2013 at 2:21 a.m.

Tekken is hugely popular in Asia and even some parts of South America. Don't see why some people have such problems with 3D fighters, I personally think that being able to side-step is awesome but also allows for extra inputs for moves - that's why Tekken characters have such a large movelist.

Let's get some more Lili love in here. She's my waifu!

Cosmo26 said on September 21, 2013 at 2:29 a.m.

Tekken3 is at 8M
Sf2 SERIES sold 14M...you can't count all the iterations put together, they're different games. that's why you'll never hear someone say sf2 is the best selling fg in history. Tekken 3 is, if you don't consider smash bros a fg.
The best selling sf2 game sold as much as tekken5, 6M, the top of capcom best sellers list.

flairinmike said on September 21, 2013 at 5:13 a.m.

Must admit I thought it was smash bros. if that counts (prepares for hate)

IntuitionImpulse said on September 21, 2013 at 6:17 a.m.

I like TTT2 but I didn't like Revolution.
I'll try it again when the female vampire gets released. Unless she costs money to download, since I'm not fond of that game.

JIHADJOE said on September 21, 2013 at 7:30 a.m.

I never said to consider all editions of sf2 together, it was Wikipedia that did. I only wanted to add the original sf2 sales on the snes and genesis which would place the total at 8m.

Also Tekken 3 is 7.16m. I cited a source to back my figures up. Either refute it or cite your own, don't be pulling numbers like 10m or 8m out of the air.

Azureneedle said on September 21, 2013 at 7:40 a.m.

Playing TR got me back into Tekken after so long, so now I'm definitely picking up TTT2.

Strider_Hien said on September 21, 2013 at 8:33 a.m.

I'm always surprised to hear Tekken is the #1.It's cool either way.It has recognizable and likable characters(My fav.will always be Hwoarang) and 3D graphics always appeal the casuals.Keep on,Tekken...

CaptainHowdy said on September 21, 2013 at 10:04 a.m.

Tekken is my favorite fighting franchise of all time. The unique characters, fun game play, and style draw me into the series.

Good job Harada.

GodPride said on September 21, 2013 at 10:28 a.m.

I know a lot of the Tekken veterans aren't too fond of TR, but as a SF player, I've enjoyed it a bit. I still think Namco should cut back on the amount of moves per character. Even SF has it's fair share of unless moves.

Xykes said on September 21, 2013 at 10:31 a.m.

@23 That's incorrect.

@24: rocorolly Speaks some major truth.

A lot of Tekken sales came from the time at which it was released, and the console on which it was released.

SF's peak came during the 16 bit era. Tekken's peak came during the Sony PS 3D era. PS consoles are among the best selling consoles of all time, even more than Genesis and SNES. Of course, with more people owning PS consoles, the sales of software would be higher. The advent of 3D and polygon technology was a major buying point, even for casual non-gamers. This is why the PS sold so well, and why the software sold so well.

This is why comparing sales of both franchises directly is misleading. The heydays of SF and Tekken came during completely different generations and economies.

Cosmo26 said on September 21, 2013 at 1:16 p.m.

wiki? lol
The official Capcom's best selling games list put the original sf2 at #1 with it's 6M...check it out , don't need to post it
and for namco's numbers I trust Harada more

godfist314 said on September 21, 2013 at 2:22 p.m.

I don't know anything about sales numbers. All I know is that in the arcades in my area, Street Fighter was just one game for me and I didn't play it that much. Mainly because the combo system involved cancelling which was difficult for me I played the living **** out of Tekken 3 and 4 in the arcades.. I loved Tekken 3 mostly. And Soul Calibur 2. But I was never anywhere near a decent competitive level. Only thing I ever did of significance was get a 100+ win streak on Tekken 4 defeating players that mostly mashed.

I can't afford these new consoles so now I mostly watch videos of matches. I love ST to death.

Baby_Astaroth said on September 21, 2013 at 3:33 p.m.

It's pretty much a guarantee that I'll buy every Tekken and Street Fighter released in the future. Tekken will always be my main game even though I play just about everything.

synce said on September 21, 2013 at 8:30 p.m.

Can't wait to see the vampire. I already know I'm maining her

capra said on September 21, 2013 at 9:20 p.m.

yeah tekken kicks ass in European sales. I think street fighter has made alot more money though due the the insane arcade sales, at one point it felt like not only were multiple machines an arcade staple every pizza shop had one.

TheDuskwalker said on September 21, 2013 at 11:32 p.m.

Came for the Lili image, stayed for the...well Lili image, news was good too.

Evil_Gotenks said on September 22, 2013 at 5:52 a.m.

Mess at none of y'all that were arguin with @24 picked up the fact that he mentioned T6 and SF4 had the same sales and BR didn't do as well as SF4 updates... BR WAS the console version of T6. Don't be saying that Tekken obviously can't be milked like SF4 when the game ur talkin about wasn't even milked in the console department.

The closest Namco ever came to milkin Tekken on a Capcom level was DR to DRO on the ps3, and that doesn't really count

ruhulA said on September 22, 2013 at 12:20 p.m.

I thought it was Mortal Kombat

cnorw00d said on September 22, 2013 at 9:56 p.m.

this just proves that the fgc is a VERY small part of people of actually play fighting games

rakuko said on November 14, 2013 at 3:38 p.m.

Vampire Anna could have gotten me back into TR for a bit, but new hairdo? never mind.

DecimalBirch said on January 23, 2014 at 7:15 p.m.

Well of course he said Tekken, he worked on the game.